Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Thank you WG - Massachusetts!

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,069
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,699 posts

Seeing some of the comments/videos on the new Massachusetts build, just want to say thanks for giving us EXACTLY the ship I've been waiting for since closed beta!!

An American battleship, with good secondaries, optimized for aggressive play!  Please release this ship tomorrow, and take my money!

If you believe in sniping or island camping, this is NOT the ship for you!  There are too many of those ships in the game already.  This ship is for going around islands and rooting out all those island campers and obliterating them as close range.  Which, as we all know, is the main reason to play WoWS.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,069
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,699 posts

Incidentally. . . I ran into one last night.  He did the usual hang back and snip thing.  He got crushed and finished last on his team.  Exactly the way it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,564
[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles
Just now, TheDreadnought said:

Incidentally. . . I ran into one last night.  He did the usual hang back and snip thing.  He got crushed and finished last on his team.  Exactly the way it should be.

Blame George.  He's the reason everything goes wrong on that ship.

8007477913_e536d06923_c.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[FOG]
Members
776 posts
7,438 battles

Should be great fun in Coop battles as those so quickly devolve into knife fights where this ship will be in its element....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
578
[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
28 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Seeing some of the comments/videos on the new Massachusetts build, just want to say thanks for giving us EXACTLY the ship I've been waiting for since closed beta!!

An American battleship, with good secondaries, optimized for aggressive play!  Please release this ship tomorrow, and take my money!

If you believe in sniping or island camping, this is NOT the ship for you!  There are too many of those ships in the game already.  This ship is for going around islands and rooting out all those island campers and obliterating them as close range.  Which, as we all know, is the main reason to play WoWS.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Dont blow your load too early, the ship doesnt seem like its going to be all that effective when specced for secondaries. At least not nearly as effective as the Bismarck/Tirpitz. 

Few secondary turrets that do fairly little damage, have weak fire chance and terrible reload. Add to that the pretty bad firing angles and the ships citadel placement, and you get a vessel that cant effectively use its secondaries when angling against an enemy ship in front of it.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
541
[BS]
Members
1,956 posts
10,178 battles
15 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Dont blow your load too early, the ship doesnt seem like its going to be all that effective when specced for secondaries. At least not nearly as effective as the Bismarck/Tirpitz. 

Few secondary turrets that do fairly little damage, have weak fire chance and terrible reload. Add to that the pretty bad firing angles and the ships citadel placement, and you get a vessel that cant effectively use its secondaries when angling against an enemy ship in front of it.

even after the buff they just gave it?

Edited by HorrorRoach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,762
[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
16 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Dont blow your load too early, the ship doesnt seem like its going to be all that effective when specced for secondaries. At least not nearly as effective as the Bismarck/Tirpitz. 

Few secondary turrets that do fairly little damage, have weak fire chance and terrible reload. Add to that the pretty bad firing angles and the ships citadel placement, and you get a vessel that cant effectively use its secondaries when angling against an enemy ship in front of it.

You don't deserve a thumbs down for this.  Oh, I have no idea about the reload or fire chance.  But, given what I know already about the firing angles of these high tier USN BBs, they're not really set up for direct fore or aft secondary engagements.  You'd need to open up your broadsides somewhat to get lines of fire for the secondaries.  That's just the reality of the situation.  Now, whether her secondaries can do anything useful WHEN they can engage, that's a different story. 

But I don't think you deserve a thumbs down for pointing out these facts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,914 posts
5,814 battles

The USS Bismarck will be interesting. Feels like a sign that WG is running out of gimmicks. :cap_hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,564
[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The USS Bismarck will be interesting. Feels like a sign that WG is running out of gimmicks. :cap_hmm:

I actually advocated a USS Alabama be turned into a brawler.  High maneuverability, small size and big guns make for an interesting combination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,292
[WOLF3]
Members
24,803 posts
21,848 battles

I was hoping someone had stumbled upon a news / devblog item showing they were improving the secondaries.  The videos I saw of Mass was not impressive.  She takes hits to main battery range and sigma for longer range secondaries.  But the trade was not worth it.  USN BB secondaries at every tier are garbage.  While Mass has longer ranged ones, the problem still lies that the secondaries are few in count and to top it off, SLOW FIRING.  This is the exact same problem the 127mm DP turrets of the USN have for secondaries on all the ships that mount them.  Watching the WiP videos of Mass, I'm seeing ships in super short range and very noticeable long gaps of gunfire from the secondaries.  I'm watching and saying to myself, "Did the guy turn off their secondaries?... Oh, it is on!  They just fire too d*mn slow!"

 

The fun part was that historically, those guns fired twice as fast as they do in this game.

 

I looked at WG's Dev Blog and saw nothing fixing the Secondaries.  For a ship that gave up a lot of main battery performance for garbage secondaries, this for me isn't a good trade.  If this was supposed to be a "Brawling USN BB" I'd rather do it in the far superior Alabama.

 

 

The idea of a brawling Premium USN BB has merit, but as it stands now, Mass is not it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,849 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The USS Bismarck will be interesting. Feels like a sign that WG is running out of gimmicks. :cap_hmm:

I'd be okay with that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[NET]
Beta Testers
527 posts
5,219 battles

ya the video i saw, its secondaries suck, good range, , and then to get that secondary range, the main gun accuracy is even worse then the Alabama. no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
138
[R-F2]
Members
352 posts
8,591 battles

I dunno, Flamu called the revised Massachusetts "Like having an Atlanta strapped to the side of your ship at all times", and in 3 consecutive games did over 70k with his secondaries alone. This was full secondary spec (BFT/AFT/Manual Secondaries, IFHE). The idea seems to be to be in secondary range, but don't get like, face to face brawltime like a German BB. The enhanced heal cooldown is also hilarious, you're almost constantly running heal if you need to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,292
[WOLF3]
Members
24,803 posts
21,848 battles

If one has a few doubloons and want to see how bad the USN BB secondaries are, just simply swap in SBM2 instead of the typically slotted AAGM2 for high tier USN BBs.  BFT, AFT is often already there, again, USN BBs these tiers have that for the AA Build.

 

You'll see just how bad USN BB secondaries are.  Massachusetts is simply a longer ranged version of that horrible performance.  You can take a break, grab a beer from the fridge, down it, and be back at the computer before the secondaries are ready to fire a second time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
672 posts
2,902 battles

Is this the tread where we badger WG to give all of the 5"/38 dual mount secondaries their historical 3s reload?  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
6,149 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If one has a few doubloons and want to see how bad the USN BB secondaries are, just simply swap in SBM2 instead of the typically slotted AAGM2 for high tier USN BBs.  BFT, AFT is often already there, again, USN BBs these tiers have that for the AA Build.

 

You'll see just how bad USN BB secondaries are.  Massachusetts is simply a longer ranged version of that horrible performance.  You can take a break, grab a beer from the fridge, down it, and be back at the computer before the secondaries are ready to fire a second time.

I'm not sure how fast you can grab a beer but with a full secondary build in the current Massachusetts, they fire every 3.3 seconds (as was on Flamu's video).  I'm not sure I can do all that, that quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,292
[WOLF3]
Members
24,803 posts
21,848 battles
3 minutes ago, SCygnus said:

Is this the tread where we badger WG to give all of the 5"/38 dual mount secondaries their historical 3s reload?  

Possibly...:Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
672 posts
2,902 battles
8 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

I'm not sure how fast you can grab a beer but with a full secondary build in the current Massachusetts, they fire every 3.3 seconds (as was on Flamu's video).  I'm not sure I can do all that, that quickly. 

 

Historically speaking, the ring mount versions we see as USN secondaries could fire every 2.7 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
672 posts
2,902 battles
2 minutes ago, tenfingerstentoes said:

I seriously think you should watch this... 

 

Still nerfed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,248 posts
4,322 battles
35 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I was hoping someone had stumbled upon a news / devblog item showing they were improving the secondaries.  The videos I saw of Mass was not impressive.  She takes hits to main battery range and sigma for longer range secondaries.  But the trade was not worth it.  USN BB secondaries at every tier are garbage.  While Mass has longer ranged ones, the problem still lies that the secondaries are few in count and to top it off, SLOW FIRING.  This is the exact same problem the 127mm DP turrets of the USN have for secondaries on all the ships that mount them.  Watching the WiP videos of Mass, I'm seeing ships in super short range and very noticeable long gaps of gunfire from the secondaries.  I'm watching and saying to myself, "Did the guy turn off their secondaries?... Oh, it is on!  They just fire too d*mn slow!"

 

The fun part was that historically, those guns fired twice as fast as they do in this game.

 

I looked at WG's Dev Blog and saw nothing fixing the Secondaries.  For a ship that gave up a lot of main battery performance for garbage secondaries, this for me isn't a good trade.  If this was supposed to be a "Brawling USN BB" I'd rather do it in the far superior Alabama.

 

 

The idea of a brawling Premium USN BB has merit, but as it stands now, Mass is not it.

Try searching the forums. Accuracy increased 40% and rate of fire lowered to 4s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
6,149 battles
5 minutes ago, SCygnus said:

 

Historically speaking, the ring mount versions we see as USN secondaries could fire every 2.7 seconds.

I have no reason to doubt your correctness and 2.7 seconds would be really awesome.  I'm just pointing out that 3.4s (I was slightly off on my previous post) is significantly faster than an eternity (or the 6 seconds on Alabama).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,292
[WOLF3]
Members
24,803 posts
21,848 battles
15 minutes ago, tenfingerstentoes said:

I seriously think you should watch this... 

 

Still inferior.

 

Bismarck / Tirpitz with BFT, AFT, SBM2 installed:

105mm 8x2 at 3 seconds

150mm 6x2 at 6.8 seconds

 

Compared to Massachussets:

oJYeDDj.jpg

 

Moar, faster firing guns with good penetration on Ze Germans.  Alongside turtleback protection.

 

Sacrificing main battery gun range to 18.3km and even worse sigma for outperformed secondaries is pretty lousy.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,190
[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,955 posts
14,569 battles

A Bismark for people how only play USA lines. Interessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
672 posts
2,902 battles
7 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

I have no reason to doubt your correctness and 2.7 seconds would be really awesome.  I'm just pointing out that 3.4s (I was slightly off on my previous post) is significantly faster than an eternity (or the 6 seconds on Alabama).

The 5"/38 is one the most artificially nerfed weapon in the game.  For some reason they gave the 5"/54 it's absolutely ideal reload but completely trashed the /38.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×