Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptainTeddybear

Secondary detonation - how engaging

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

Same happened to me in Atlanta. My friend and I were playing on the Two Brothers map, and we decided to push the middle midgame and fire over the islands. I was just getting in position when the *FIRST* secondary shell from a Scharnhorst at max range detonated me. We lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

Depends on the ship, depends on RNG

I detonated a RU DD with my Fubuki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles

I detonated a full health DD with my Republic secondaries. Detonations happen, look at your total battles 6720 and you have been detonated 28 times. You are complaining about something that is not an issue.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
909
[TSF_1]
Members
3,298 posts
7,484 battles

Did the change ever go live where to be detonated you had to have under 75% HP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[MLPVA]
Members
345 posts
3,984 battles

I've detonated DD's twice with my Gneisenau's secondaries. Sure I felt a little bad about it, but it was either them or me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
2 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Did the change ever go live where to be detonated you had to have under 75% HP?

Yup, not that it was really needed or that it changed anything anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[DERP]
Members
19 posts
6,482 battles

It happens. Rare (usually) and it sucks to be on th e receiving end, but it could be worse. The first of two memorable times I doled out dets was in a T7 match I believe with a US CV, dive bombers caused one on a BB. Didn't think that could happen. The second was Fuso vs. Fuso, I fire HE at almost max range 2 minutes into the match. One shot hit under his front turret and boom.

The first guy was as surprised as I was and kinda laughed it off. Secondary guy was very unhappy.

As for times I've popped, top hits in my Iowa by the front turrets did it. I just stare at the screen every time and mutter "f***".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
259 posts

 Had a DD whine boat charging a friend of mine who was in a Tirp, Hans on the 155 was like "Hold Mein Beer!" BOOM, DD whine boat splodes from a Det. Loved it xD

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,714 posts
50 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I detonated a full health DD with my Republic secondaries. Detonations happen, look at your total battles 6720 and you have been detonated 28 times. You are complaining about something that is not an issue.

I usually run the flag, this was a new ship and I didn't have it equipped. 20% of my deaths in this ship were by detonation. If it was main guns that would be fine but secondaries seems ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216
[FFG33]
Members
473 posts
15,839 battles

meh... denotations happen only a max of 9% of the battles. A detonation gives 10 flags to stop detonations. 1/11  = 9% of battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
248
[BBP]
Members
341 posts
7,528 battles

I was in my Khaba and was going to take down a Shimikaze when he shot me and detonated me.  How embarrassing...  Gunned down by a Shimi in my Khaba...  

Cartoon Network Shame GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Members-
360 posts
194 battles

Yesterday I took out my Pensacola to get my 190k Commander XP, and got detonated by the secondaries from another Pensacola. It seemed fairly legit, I decided to abide by the RNG judgement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,210
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Did the change ever go live where to be detonated you had to have under 75% HP?

It was supposed to in this patch, wasn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
206 posts
7,488 battles

It very well might have been, but they mentioned being at 60% so that change would not have helped.

And detonations caused by secondaries were rare enough even before they changed the detonation mechanics that it's just something to look at and go "huh," and move on.

My own anecdotes regarding secondary detonations are both from a long time ago - namely a Ryujo secondary detonating a destroyer and, my most memorable, a 140 AP secondary off Nagato detonating a full health Nurnberg. I honestly don't recall ever seeing even one in all the time I've been playing secondary specced German battleships.

More recently, and not a secondary one, my favorite detonation was detonating a Khabarovsk via a nondamaging HE hit right atop its rear magazine. From the main guns of a Shimakaze. Because if there's one ship that absolutely deserves to be detonated, it's that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
5 hours ago, Vangm94 said:

Depends on the ship, depends on RNG

I detonated a RU DD with my Fubuki

Think I've detonated a DD with my Leander's secondaries.  That is, I think it was my Leander, but I definately got a det on a DD last week with secondaries.

 

16 minutes ago, NozTheWhiteDawn said:

It very well might have been, but they mentioned being at 60% so that change would not have helped.

And detonations caused by secondaries were rare enough even before they changed the detonation mechanics that it's just something to look at and go "huh," and move on.

My own anecdotes regarding secondary detonations are both from a long time ago - namely a Ryujo secondary detonating a destroyer and, my most memorable, a 140 AP secondary off Nagato detonating a full health Nurnberg. I honestly don't recall ever seeing even one in all the time I've been playing secondary specced German battleships.

More recently, and not a secondary one, my favorite detonation was detonating a Khabarovsk via a nondamaging HE hit right atop its rear magazine. From the main guns of a Shimakaze. Because if there's one ship that absolutely deserves to be detonated, it's that one.

Did that in my Khab to a Shima, with a hail mary shot - He got spotted for a few seconds before cutting between islands at max range (before the range nerf on Khab's guns), I fired a single salvo on my best guess... boom.  I honestly felt bad.

But - at teh end of a losing match, my Khab was at barely 2k health, 3 ships hunting me, and I was getting trapped by the match edge, with 2 heals left.  Shima at nearly full health in a stern chase tried to gun me down.   Everytime he had me dead on teh next hit, heal came up.  Meanwhile, I managed to steadily land shots and killed him.  Cruiser killed me seconds later, but....:)

I have the Shima, don't much like it, which is odd, as I prefer stealthy torp boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,243
[INTEL]
Members
12,148 posts
33,707 battles
21 hours ago, Belthorian said:

I detonated a full health DD with my Republic secondaries. Detonations happen, look at your total battles 6720 and you have been detonated 28 times. You are complaining about something that is not an issue.

Except it is an issue for his team, which went down a ship because WG wants arbitrary cancer damage to get players back into the queue as rapidly as possible. 

Almost everyone who talks about this misses this crucial point: a detonation screws 12 players, not 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
628
[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,516 posts
10,352 battles

I still don't like the detonation mechanic, but at least you don't lose a full health ship now.  That was frustrating.  Now you get a chance to be in the battle and perform some avoidance tactics before RNG pulls the plug on you.  A secondary hit detonation is still hard to swallow, since the shot itself is random, and then you get a random detonation roll.  Total randomness, then boom, see you later.  Come back and play again.  And, don't forget to stop by our gift shop and purchase more flags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
7 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Except it is an issue for his team, which went down a ship because WG wants arbitrary cancer damage to get players back into the queue as rapidly as possible. 

Almost everyone who talks about this misses this crucial point: a detonation screws 12 players, not 1. 

I know it is an arcade game but it is based on Naval Combat and detonations happened. It is part of naval combat and it does not happen enough to where it is a problem. In 4968 battles I have detonated someone ONCE.......I have been detonated 34 times. This is a non-issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,243
[INTEL]
Members
12,148 posts
33,707 battles
16 hours ago, Belthorian said:

I know it is an arcade game but it is based on Naval Combat and detonations happened. It is part of naval combat and it does not happen enough to where it is a problem. In 4968 battles I have detonated someone ONCE.......I have been detonated 34 times. This is a non-issue. 

You're still focused on the individual player. The issue is game balance. "Detonations happen in naval combat" is quite true and irrelevant, since the WOWs model is largely ahistorical. 

So, @Belthorian, what happens to the team when a detonation of a ship occurs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,256
[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles
7 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

what happens to the team when a detonation of a ship occurs

Nothing, as they were not the ones to detonate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,684 posts
8,058 battles

 Back when there were only two nations in game, dinosaurs roamed the earth, and secondaries could friendly fire, I was in my Kongo (which had great secondaries for that day) and thought it would be a good idea to close into secondary range with a New York. At the same time, an allied Omaha decided to try to rush by me, to try to torpedo the New York. 

Apparently my secondary gunners reciever their sake ration that day, because as I was squared broadside to the New York, and the Omaha passed my bow (90 degrees left of where the New York was) one of my 152mm gunners shot at the Omaha instead of the New York. That one shot citadeled the Omaha and detonated him. As I was dodging the Omaha's torpedoes, he let me have it in chat. 

Im pretty sure that was the first time my secondaries ever sunk something without hitting it with he main battery too. 

Edited by inktomi19d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,243
[INTEL]
Members
12,148 posts
33,707 battles
16 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Nothing, as they were not the ones to detonate.

LOL. They are down a ship, with nothing in return, impairing their chance of winning. The whole team suffers when someone dets, especially a DD detonating early, or a late-game det of any ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
29 posts
37 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

LOL. They are down a ship, with nothing in return, impairing their chance of winning. The whole team suffers when someone dets, especially a DD detonating early, or a late-game det of any ship. 

*holds up a model of a warship*Show us on the model where you can be pleased?

Your whining sounds applicable to any situation: A DD doesn't cap (or gets deleted by the other team) early, it screws over the rest of the team. A battleship snipes from the back, it screws over the team. A cruiser doesn't equip radar, it screws over the team. Someone pings the map playing Commodore MacArthur and no one listens, it is assumed the game is already lost 30 seconds in and the team is screwed. One player perceives another player doesn't know how to play thier ship, the team is screwed.

FYI, none of that has any bearing on the over all match outcome. I have seen matches both won and lost from the same "mistake-game mechanic--play style" that other people percieve. I have never or rarely seen a match where a detonation has handicaped a team - just as many wins or loses has happened for either side that lost the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116
Members
309 posts
8 hours ago, Belthorian said:

I detonated a full health DD with my Republic secondaries. Detonations happen, look at your total battles 6720 and you have been detonated 28 times. You are complaining about something that is not an issue.

Thing is, it could literally not be an issue, and since it's apparently so rare, no one would even notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×