You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

Des Moines or Moskva?

40 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts

my credit can only buy one

my play style is WASD and don't get hit, so agility is important, that's why I thought i want to get DM, but playing Buffalo I get cit no matter what the angle, so I kinda lost interest in USN CA line if DM is similar

Moskva can avoid citadel if angled properly from what i read, then i might want to buy her instead, even though she turns slowly...

[WOLF5]
Members
3,404 posts
3,540 battles

DM isn't a WASD cruiser. It's a get close to islands and hide and radar CA.

Moskva is more play in open water, at longer range, and burn the world with the railguns. The armor is good, and the speed is great, so WASD is an option. Remember though, you're still a cruiser. With any WASD tactic, if the enemy throws enough metal at you, eventually something is going to connect, and you're really going to feel it. While the Moskva is tankier, it will still react badly to getting hit by 16 and 18 inch shells on a somewhat regular basis.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,003 posts
7,682 battles

The Moskva has the worst handling of any cruiser in the game and its armor is really finicky, so if your angling isn't perfect or if you get really unlucky with dispersion you get blapped hard.  The Des Moines handles much better, but it has no armor what so ever.  So based on your preferred play style, I can't say either of these ships are ideal, but I'd go with the Moskva.  

• Cool 1

[-N-]
Members
2,146 posts
14,364 battles

I have Both and prefer the DM over the Moskva.  I think she has higher DPM.  Better Radar, shorter in Range, longer in Duration, so with faster reloading guns makes it easier for killing a DD.

[WOLF2]
Members
119 posts
13,016 battles

Fit your Moskva for range, then flame away.  You can burn all the things, especially all the Montana's bow camping on the back line.  Just keep moving and don't show that fat citadel.....

[RST]
Members
181 posts
22,045 battles

DM as a support ship is great. Has capability to having the longest run Radar in the game. Plus the the best AA for the tier 10 cruisers. 

Moskva is a good armored cruiser and good for those players that love to play aggressively. Though has a slower reload time over the DM. 

For me I picked the DM over the Moskva. Found the usability of the ship a much better choice. I am picking up the Moskva next in the cruiser line. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts
2 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

I have Both and prefer the DM over the Moskva.  I think she has higher DPM.  Better Radar, shorter in Range, longer in Duration, so with faster reloading guns makes it easier for killing a DD.

i find when i play russian CAs i can hit DD easily, their shells are just super fast, but with USN CAs, not so much, when the shells finally land the DD is gone, lol

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
41 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

my credit can only buy one

my play style is WASD and don't get hit, so agility is important, that's why I thought i want to get DM, but playing Buffalo I get cit no matter what the angle, so I kinda lost interest in USN CA line if DM is similar

Moskva can avoid citadel if angled properly from what i read, then i might want to buy her instead, even though she turns slowly...

Did you like the Baltimore?  Des Moines -- at least for me  -- is just an enhanced Baltimore in terms of how I play it.  Did pretty much all my tier 10 ranked in DM with an occasional match in the Hindy.

I've only played Moskva in a few PTS matches.   Dmitri Donskoi is kinda been meh for me.  Its OK.  Don't get me wrong, its been way better for me than Chapayev and Schors.  But I've been grinding it often and on for over a year with no real urgency on my part.  I much prefer the high Tier USN and German Cruisers play so my match counts in Soviet\Russian Cruisers invariably suffers.  

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,046 posts
9,180 battles

What do you like to play? 

- Long range spam HE/AP;

- Hug islands and spam HE/AP; 

None of them is a really agile cruiser. Moskva has good speed and turning cirlce, but huge (and the citadel is nearly as huge) size and terrible concealment. If you want a agile cruiser go for another line. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts
37 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Did you like the Baltimore?  Des Moines -- at least for me  -- is just an enhanced Baltimore in terms of how I play it.  Did pretty much all my tier 10 ranked in DM with an occasional match in the Hindy.

I've only played Moskva in a few PTS matches.   Dmitri Donskoi is kinda been meh for me.  Its OK.  Don't get me wrong, its been way better for me than Chapayev and Schors.  But I've been grinding it often and on for over a year with no real urgency on my part.  I much prefer the high Tier USN and German Cruisers play so my match counts in Soviet\Russian Cruisers invariably suffers.  

baltimore is kind of meh, nothing stands out, but i do feel it doesn't get cit as easily as the new buffalo

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts
35 minutes ago, Xlap said:

What do you like to play? 

- Long range spam HE/AP;

- Hug islands and spam HE/AP; 

None of them is a really agile cruiser. Moskva has good speed and turning cirlce, but huge (and the citadel is nearly as huge) size and terrible concealment. If you want a agile cruiser go for another line. 

DM is the most agile of all T10 CAs, but if it can get cit at any angle like buffalo, then it's not my first choice

i just ran a game in Donskoi, feels much better than buffalo, shells land fast and don't get cit

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,952 posts
12,042 battles

Dm if you want dpm, moskva if you want staying power

[SALVO]
Members
24,184 posts
24,546 battles

I have both.  And I find that I can do well in both, but they play VERY differently.

The Des Moines is much nicer, at least for me, in shorter ranged engagements, because of her high RoF plus the fact that short ranges flatten her shell trajectories, increasing the number of hits.  Also, the fact that the DM is a really nice shorter ranged combatant synergizes well with the use of radar.

The Moskva is rather different.  It doesn't have the RoF of the DM, so it's not quite as nice to use at short ranges.  OTOH, it does have better armor than the DM.  But like the DM it doesn't have torpedoes, so you always have to be careful of brawling with enemy cruisers that do.  The Moskva seems better suited to longer ranged combat with her rail guns.  But that doesn't synergize well with her radar.

So, if you like playing the long ranged, kiting cruiser, the Moskva is probably for you.  OTOH, if you like fighting in closer, occasionally abusing terrain and lobbing shells from behind islands, or popping out on an enemy BB's unengaged side to hammer it with shells at short range with your high RoF, then maybe the DM is more your cup of tea.

[RLGN]
Members
13,259 posts
23,160 battles

None of the above?

Ignore the T10s behind the curtain and buildup your credit reserves instead.

[SALVO]
Members
24,184 posts
24,546 battles
15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

None of the above?

Ignore the T10s behind the curtain and buildup your credit reserves instead.

Unlike you, Prophet, the OP is in a clan.  And maybe he's looking for a Clan Battles ship (or another one, as the case may be).

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles
1 hour ago, Happy668 said:

i find when i play russian CAs i can hit DD easily, their shells are just super fast, but with USN CAs, not so much, when the shells finally land the DD is gone, lol

Because your aim is bad.

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
458 posts
10,950 battles
52 minutes ago, Psicopro said:

The answer is obviously Hindenberg.

Ya this is the correct answer. Hindy is easily the most flexible T10 CA, good torps, turtle back up close, great guns and can actually run around the map more easily..can work at any range.

DM actually has a much better arm on its nose (27mm, which means it can bounce things like Bismarks)..and can bounce same tier CA AP easily when angled. DM AP has the ability to pen at ridiculous angles and its DPM is insane. Its got fantastic shorter range, long duration Radar, and great AAA.

Moskova has rail guns that pen both BBs and CAs at range. Moskova has longer range radar that can often spot more than one cap at a time. Moskova rail guns can easily hit fast moving DDs at range. Moskova has strong arm vs. HE spam but has 25mm nose so never point straight at T10 BB or it will go right through. Moskova is easily citadeled when in turn.

If you really break it down...the DM works well at close range where DPM and Amer AP can wreck face...Moskova excels at mid-long range but falls apart really fast at close range.

If you want the run around and burn things..then Zao or Hindy are much more akin to that play-style.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts
1 minute ago, Super_S1X said:

Because your aim is bad.

yeah right, USN shells only hit dumb dds at distance, lol

[-BRS-]
Members
1,650 posts
18,434 battles

Do you like being perma spotted and shot at constantly while in reverse....get the Moskva

Do you like being the one doing the shooting and doing the spotting.....get the DesMoines

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles
2 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

yeah right, USN shells only hit dumb dds at distance, lol

You have to learn to get a sense for how fast ships turn, how they move, and where they will be.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,650 posts
18,434 battles
Just now, Super_S1X said:

You have to learn to get a sense for how fast ships turn, how they move, and where they will be.

Being able to fire every 4.5 to 5 secs in a DesMoines should cut down on some of the need for pinpoint accuracy for most you would think.

[-NOS-]
Members
1,220 posts
21,100 battles

You'll be more happy with Hindenburg due to the turtleback, both DM and Moskva are not as tanky, and their front bow got overmatched all day long every day by ALL tier 10 BB, no angling is going to save you from being citadel.   But if that's your only two options i would go for DM due to much higher DPM, if you're about to go down you want to dish out the most damage you can while going down, so DM is my choice between the two you mentioned.  BUT, the acceleration and braking is extremely slow with DM, WASD ain't gonna work too well with it.

Edited by Xcalib3r

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,028 posts
17,550 battles

Neither DM nor Moskva is a big WASD ship, although DM is somewhat capable of it in a pinch.