You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
monpetitloup

Suggestion for Karma

21 comments in this topic

[VW]
Members
3,813 posts
18,457 battles

I was just in a game where i had to carry a bunch of tyros. I inserted my Miz into C because our tier 8 dd decided to go B in a benson during the US cruiser fest, like radar doesn't exist. I proceeded to hold B, while denying it to the enemy, killing roon, zao, iowa, and tirpitz in the process. A tyrolish Republique driver from a clan named after either sailors or male s@xu@l fluid at this point decided to harangue me because not only did the rest of our team evaporate, but he was doing nothing to contribute to the win. A Gearing killed him, i killed the akak, and the gearing, leaving only the yammy and b-more. i leave c to cap b which the republic was incapable of doing. As i arrive in B keeping the yammy spotted but remaining cloaked, the b-more fires on me from concealment in A. Fine he has given his position away. I angle towards the yammy, dodging his shots in the process, fire, and eliminate him (Krak). Finish capping, turn to A. Luckily the b-more decided to hold in place rather than run and hide, which given the 4 min left would have secured them the win. As i approach, he fires. Having anticipated his potential location my turrets are already aimed in the vicinity. At this point a tyrolish admiral comments that time is running out and i better kill soon. Salvo fired, shots land, killing him for the win. Examine mm post win, surprise surprise, odd stacked heavily against us. This brings me to my conclusion, I know i was reported because God bless me i couldn't resist retorting the the Republique driver's taunts. The primmish tyros populating the sever on weekends and summer vacation clearly were offended. But I singlehandedly granted them a win. Only 1 complemented me, while enough to ding me 2x reported me.

I propose that in order to maintain the number of reports one must use all thier alloted complements each day. The report system does nothing we all know, except chat bans, but the weekenders probly don't know this and only report, never complementing. I suggest that one loses reports if one does not use one's complements. The inverse being true as well that once lost, one can regain them but only after complementing for twice as many times to regain the original number of reports. Let's at least make them work for the salt.

Thanks for reading my novella! Your thoughts?

PS, photographic evidence that i am not merely embellishing

Spoiler

shot-18_06.01_15_57.35-0364.thumb.jpg.60fc03cd00a373a8b9692f6f6dd4e288.jpg

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles

No.  A HUGE no.  The only acceptable solution for Karma is to remove it from the game.  It's a totally useless system.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,090 posts
17,161 battles
25 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Your thoughts?

My thought is that I'm just getting too old and out of the loop with the language young, hip people are using. Tyro? Tyrolish? Harangue?

As for karma, it serves one very important feature. As an energy focus. People report, it works a bit therapeutic, and because karma does nothing and is otherwise meaningless, this serves the function of making people less salty in chat. I personally don't want to see it changed.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
555 posts
3,577 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

My thought is that I'm just getting too old and out of the loop with the language young, hip people are using. Tyro? Tyrolish? Harangue?

Checked Google. 

TIL I am a ...

ty·ro
ˈtīrō/
noun
  1. a beginner or novice.

:Smile_teethhappy:
  • Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
1,271 posts
12,778 battles

Well, I will agree that the Karma system is abused and has become a tool for trolls.  The best fix for it is to simply remove it as it brings nothing positive to the game.  

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
555 posts
3,577 battles

Oh, on topic: My goal each night is to use all my comps before using all my reports.

Some nights are easier to do that than others. :cap_haloween:

[VW]
Members
3,813 posts
18,457 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

As for karma, it serves one very important feature. As an energy focus. People report, it works a bit therapeutic, and because karma does nothing and is otherwise meaningless, this serves the function of making people less salty in chat. I personally don't want to see it changed.

I know, i would have chosen numerous other words, but having seen tyro used in a thread earlier today, i thought what the hey. Harangue i use here as harass. And as i said it seemed to be the salt and my reaction to it which inspired the reports. Thanks for the thought!

btw, just noticed you’re in PVE! Give me regards to the Admiral!

Members
2,255 posts

They should give you auto positive Karma for being number 1 of the team.

Had finally had people give me karma for once... 4 in 1 battle that is the most I ever got in 1 battle.

CjqQnDd.png

Sad thing is... I do this every day. I only got 90 some karma all this time.

[VW]
Members
3,813 posts
18,457 battles
1 minute ago, MorbidGamer said:

They should give you auto positive Karma for being number 1 of the team.

Had finally had people give me karma for once... 4 in 1 battle that is the most I ever got in 1 battle.

CjqQnDd.png

Sad thing is... I do this every day. I only got 90 some karma all this time.

Awesome! I don’t think i ever got that many at once, but at one point i was up to 20 or so karma, then a couple of weekend games lost it all for me. Now i hover between 1 +/- 1 lol!

[VW]
Members
3,813 posts
18,457 battles
7 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

Oh, on topic: My goal each night is to use all my comps before using all my reports.

Some nights are easier to do that than others. :cap_haloween:

Thanks for being positive! I need to start doing the same!

[VOP]
Members
520 posts
8,669 battles

Would be nice if they just removed the reporting function part. If someone has an issue with another player they should send a ticket in for review.

Keeping the Karma part would be a good thing as it forces someone to recognize the good someone did as opposed to the bad that is always reported on. I never understood why WG had that function in the game. Letting players report other players.  Especially since the system they put into place is not managed and they do nothing about it. Apparently they want the salt otherwise they would have removed the reports option long ago.  

I use more of my compliments than my reports.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

If Karma does nothing, ignore it. I like it because it says that other players like what you have done in battle. If Karma does nothing, why do you care? I have 150 Karma because I give it out, I say I give it out, and people like how I command my Ryujo and how I am a unique CV Player in that I will cap and I will brawl. If Karma does nothing, how does it effect you?

[VOP]
Members
520 posts
8,669 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

If Karma does nothing, how does it effect you?

There is nothing wrong from a pat on the back from another player,  to let you know that "you did good". Even if it means nothing to the game monetarily...it is still a nice feature.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
2 minutes ago, USMCGal said:

There is nothing wrong from a pat on the back from another player,  to let you know that "you did good". Even if it means nothing to the game monetarily...it is still a nice feature.

I agree yet people want to remove a feature that does not effect them.

[BNKR]
Members
555 posts
3,577 battles
43 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Thanks for being positive! I need to start doing the same!

It is soooooo much easier to report folks, especially when even a noob like me can tell when I'm on Team Windex and have to try and carry despite being bottom tier (with varying degrees of success :Smile_teethhappy: ).

I try to give at least two comps to red teamers as well, such as the DD last night who just outplayed the crap outta me in my Myoko last night. He took me to skool. Hard. :cap_book: (Related: I need a Leningrad. )

Sure, the system overall is kinda garbage, as only the chat one seems to do anything, but it beats to one on Xbox. (Play WoT over there and I was reported for cheating more than 50 times in six months...in a game in which you literally cannot cheat...and it's the only multi-player game I play on it. That community is such garbage. :Smile_teethhappy: )

Edited by MajorEnglush

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Since karma is worthless, I don't see a need to change it. I've had monster carries with no change in karma, and otherwise terrible games where one decent action motivated someone to +1 me. To me, karma is a reflection of how much others appreciate what you do, not how valuable what you do is. That is measured by win rate.

Edited by cometguy
  • Cool 1

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
194 posts
21,759 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

If you think Romans are youngsters, you must be OLD, Lert!  :cap_fainting:Did you start during the WoWs pre-alpha phase when there were only galleys and longships?   :cap_viking:

Tiro is the 2,000 year old Latin word for "young soldier".  Tyro is the Americanized version of the word and means "beginner" now (as MajorEnglush explained).  Personally, I shall use 'tyro' from now on in forum posts and chat because the word 'noob' is, well, negative.

On the subject of Karma, positive amounts should somehow be rewarded.  A doubloon for every Karma point once per year and a Free XP point per Karma point once per month?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,090 posts
17,161 battles
5 minutes ago, Daffyd9x said:

Did you start during the WoWs pre-alpha phase when there were only galleys and longships?   :cap_viking:

First wave alpha.

[VW]
Members
3,813 posts
18,457 battles
2 hours ago, Daffyd9x said:

If you think Romans are youngsters, you must be OLD, Lert!  :cap_fainting:Did you start during the WoWs pre-alpha phase when there were only galleys and longships?   :cap_viking:

Tiro is the 2,000 year old Latin word for "young soldier".  Tyro is the Americanized version of the word and means "beginner" now (as MajorEnglush explained).  Personally, I shall use 'tyro' from now on in forum posts and chat because the word 'noob' is, well, negative.

On the subject of Karma, positive amounts should somehow be rewarded.  A doubloon for every Karma point once per year and a Free XP point per Karma point once per month?

Good knowledge!!!

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres

[-BSS-]
Members
226 posts
13,574 battles

I wish people would be quicker to compliment then they are to report but some people just like to hate. I try to use all of my compliments everyday and I rarely use my reports unless someone does something really bad like tk on purpose. Still it is nice to be complimented and see your karma go up even if it doesn't really mean anything.