You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

So, you want to earn Halsey but you only play Co-op? Look inside...

215 comments in this topic

[ALOFT]
Members
1,651 posts
19,219 battles

doing the tasks that require you to use one type of ship say American cruiser give out the most stars.

But are harder to complete because like in stage 4 where you must do 500,000 to Japanese ships.

Out of 8 games last night the only Japanese ships where Shimas :(.

The 1 and 2 star tasks you can do in any ship which honestly can be done quicker because you can pick the best ship for the task.

For example In stage 3 I went with the Alsace and breezed through that stage in 3.5 hours.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
34 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I didn't know Premium vs Free limited your available tasks. Huh??? That seems kind of stupid. :Smile_amazed:

Wouldn't the Capt XP still be quicker for you than some of these achievement driven tasks? 

Not really; I can get the Dreadnought win or lose nearly every match. IIRC that task can be completed by any T8+ USN so that can also be nearly any Monty/Missouri match as well.

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
7,986 battles
7 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I did the post and am sort of keeping my progress updated in it as this is a new opportunity for Co-op players. Yamamoto can't be obtained via Co-op play and Halsey can so trying to show what it takes to do it there for those, like myself, who only play Co-op.

Sort of a fun project and to give me something to do. 

That's what I like about this game: there's so many different ways to play. Thanks @AdmiralThunder for all your work in showing people how to combine Co-op play with Missions. You're helping expand opportunities for people to play an awesome game.

I was excited about this mission myself as a potential shortcut to getting my first 19 point Commander. But looking at your math, it looks like I can earn  1.7 Million Cmdr XP needed for my first 19 pointer sooner than I can complete the whole Mission. Especially since I don't really have any Tier 8+ ships and very very few dragon flags. I'll probably do better just grinding up the Tiers and moving my commander up as I go.

So that's eye-opening. But hey, whatever excuse to sail my ships and wreck some red boats. It'll all come in due time.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
7,986 battles
7 hours ago, _Starbuck said:

Why not start the campaign at tiers 4-5 for mission one, tiers 5-6 for mission 2, etc up to tier 10 and get relatively newer/inexperienced players involved, creating an actual "career" campaign that will take them up the US Cruiser line (for example) with tasks that teach skills and gameplay success along the way? Everyone wants players to get gud, wargaming wants players at high tiers, so why not use a tool like campaigns to achieve both goals at the same time? That's a bare bones idea, but hopefully it makes sense.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Sort of a training mission where you get rewarded for learning skills and tactics. That'd be awesome. Especially if it guided people up the line from low tier to Tier 10. Great idea.

I'm kind of doing that on my own: I am a fairly new player and dove into USN Cruisers cos of all the hype around the line split and the new CLs. So now I have all the USN CAs up through Tier 8. But now that they're here I'm going to start over again at Phoenix and try to really get good (or at least decent) at each ship before I play the next. So all those shiny new USN CAs are mostly going to sit in my port for quite a while. It'd be really cool if there were a more structured way to do this. As is I'll just play a bunch of co-op games in each ship until I feel solid and then I'll play a bunch of Random games until I can reliable perform well.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[PVE]
Members
11,287 posts
21,770 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

That's what I like about this game: there's so many different ways to play. Thanks @AdmiralThunder for all your work in showing people how to combine Co-op play with Missions. You're helping expand opportunities for people to play an awesome game.

I was excited about this mission myself as a potential shortcut to getting my first 19 point Commander. But looking at your math, it looks like I can earn  1.7 Million Cmdr XP needed for my first 19 pointer sooner than I can complete the whole Mission. Especially since I don't really have any Tier 8+ ships and very very few dragon flags. I'll probably do better just grinding up the Tiers and moving my commander up as I go.

So that's eye-opening. But hey, whatever excuse to sail my ships and wreck some red boats. It'll all come in due time.

:Smile_honoring:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,392 posts
2 hours ago, Jester_of_War said:

Makes a lot of sense to me. Sort of a training mission where you get rewarded for learning skills and tactics. That'd be awesome. Especially if it guided people up the line from low tier to Tier 10. Great idea.

I'm kind of doing that on my own: I am a fairly new player and dove into USN Cruisers cos of all the hype around the line split and the new CLs. So now I have all the USN CAs up through Tier 8. But now that they're here I'm going to start over again at Phoenix and try to really get good (or at least decent) at each ship before I play the next. So all those shiny new USN CAs are mostly going to sit in my port for quite a while. It'd be really cool if there were a more structured way to do this. As is I'll just play a bunch of co-op games in each ship until I feel solid and then I'll play a bunch of Random games until I can reliable perform well.

You know today i was thinking about the campaigns and what they could do to improve them. I think @_Starbuck made some valid points. I was thinking they should replace some of the "sink X ships" with tasks like "Earn two close quarter kills over any number of battles in a battleship", things that would encourage the players to get out there and duke it up some. 

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
7,986 battles
12 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I was thinking they should replace some of the "sink X ships" with tasks like...

I think "score X citadel hits" are really good. Makes you learn how to shoot better. Maybe even "score X citadel hits in a destroyer".

What about "score X penetrations with AP" to teach people how to not get overpens and ricochets?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,392 posts
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

I think "score X citadel hits" are really good. Makes you learn how to shoot better. Maybe even "score X citadel hits in a destroyer".

What about "score X penetrations with AP" to teach people how to not get overpens and ricochets?

I see the cit hits from time to time... but wow, there'd be some squealing if you said "x cits in a dd"! I do like the "x pens with AP"... might even make it in only one match. 

Maybe they can motivate folks to engage a bit more that way, eh? Good thoughts. 

[OBS]
Members
1,269 posts
10,616 battles

Unsure how I feel about this sudden infatuation.  People used to tell me Halsey sucked and was a tactical buffoon.  Now we all want him.

[PVE]
Members
11,287 posts
21,770 battles

Finally finished Stage 3. Between IRL stuff that had to be done and what seems like a sudden reduction in rewards (credit's and XP) things stalled out a bit for me but have moved on to Stage 4...

AaIZWfx.jpg

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
574 posts
15,582 battles

Thanks for keeping this up Admiral Thunder.  May I ask where this Mission Log image came from?  downloadable or self created?  because I really like it.  I'm on Task 3 so well behind you

Edited by nagasakee

[ARGSY]
Members
18,337 posts
12,767 battles

Whether PvE or PvP, @AdmiralThunder has it right, IMO - load up a credit or XP task and forget about it till the gold star appears. Then reset and forget.

The best thing about the credit earning missions is that they're calculated on gross earnings; you still get all the benefit even if you make a loss overall.

[PVE]
Members
11,287 posts
21,770 battles
2 hours ago, nagasakee said:

Thanks for keeping this up Admiral Thunder.  May I ask where this Mission Log image came from?  downloadable or self created?  because I really like it.  I'm on Task 3 so well behind you

Just something I did up  to keep track of how I am doing (and to look back on when done).

I should be well on and into Stage 4 but that IRL thing keeps getting in the way and haven't started it yet. Just came in from getting the garden in for a break. Got it rototilled and stuff is planted but now I need to get the fence up, get the water for the sprinkler system on, mow the lawn, etc... 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,132 battles

Thanks for the update

im not as good of a player as you so my average has been two commander XP stars for every credits star.

ive only got one more star to go for the first stage (6 XP stars and 2 credit stars) and it will be an even tossup as to whether it will be a credit star or XP star both tasks are close to completing

But I’ve elited my Cleveland and close to upgrading all the modules on buffalo, and I got my second 19 point captain.   Yay!  

Edited by wtfovr

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,777 posts
22,134 battles
1 hour ago, wtfovr said:

Thanks for the update

im not as good of a player as you so my average has been two commander XP stars for every credits star.

ive only got one more star to go for the first stage (6 XP stars and 2 credit stars) and it will be an even tossup as to whether it will be a credit star or XP star both tasks are close to completing

But I’ve elited my Cleveland and close to upgrading all the modules on buffalo, and I got my second 19 point captain.   Yay!  

I just finished the first leg of the mission, played about half in PvE and the rest in PvP. Oddly enough I only needed one star to finish so kept the xp mission I was still grinding and selected the PvP mission where you have to sink a DD in a match you win and survive..... First game in PvP that I played, I got it so it really helped shorten my grind. Probably could never repeat that again but it cheered me up! Of course now the slog in the second leg of the mission starts, gack. It took me a week to get that first bit done, expect to take that long for each leg except the last. I like the last leg of it because there are three or four ways to get stars including some easy ones if you own a tier 8 carrier (I have one) all in co-op. Looking forward to playing that. 

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
[CO-OP]
Members
735 posts
21,407 battles
17 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I just finished the first leg of the mission, played about half in PvE and the rest in PvP. Oddly enough I only needed one star to finish so kept the xp mission I was still grinding and selected the PvP mission where you have to sink a DD in a match you win and survive..... First game in PvP that I played, I got it so it really helped shorten my grind. Probably could never repeat that again but it cheered me up! Of course now the slog in the second leg of the mission starts, gack. It took me a week to get that first bit done, expect to take that long for each leg except the last. I like the last leg of it because there are three or four ways to get stars including some easy ones if you own a tier 8 carrier (I have one) all in co-op. Looking forward to playing that. 

BZ to you.  First, playing that many high tier PVP games is a real chore.  I dabble in PvP, but only at the low tier end (t5-6.) 

Second, I absolutely suck at CV play.  As bad as bot CV can be, I may be worse.  So, anyone who can pull off getting stars with an aircraft carrier, gets my respect.

[PVE]
Members
11,287 posts
21,770 battles
1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

Second, I absolutely suck at CV play.  As bad as bot CV can be, I may be worse.  So, anyone who can pull off getting stars with an aircraft carrier, gets my respect.

AMEN Brother Hampton,.

[CO-OP]
[CO-OP]
Members
735 posts
21,407 battles

Just curious how everyone else is doing in the Halsey campaign.  I will be finishing up the Final Task in Mission 4 this evening.  Thankfully, we will be getting 100% bonus on Commander XP for the next couple of weekends, so this will help to "speed" things along for the final stretch.

[PVE]
Members
11,287 posts
21,770 battles

Just finished Stage 4. On to the final, grueling (ie: L-O-N-G!!! LOL:Smile_hiding:), Stage 5. Got 25 Wyvern flags and 1000 doubloons from the Stage 4 SC's which was a nice bonus for finishing that part.

HuAUKpu.jpg 

[PVE]
Members
11,287 posts
21,770 battles
28 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Just curious how everyone else is doing in the Halsey campaign.  I will be finishing up the Final Task in Mission 4 this evening.  Thankfully, we will be getting 100% bonus on Commander XP for the next couple of weekends, so this will help to "speed" things along for the final stretch.

Wow that will be a big help for sure seeing as it is now 100K Capt XP p/ star.

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,656 battles
On 6/2/2018 at 4:55 AM, xalmgrey said:

This seems badly designed if so many people are avoiding a large chunk of the campaign due to difficulty of outlandish requirements. I'm considering just skipping the whole thing honestly.

A permanent campaign with several people either done or more than half way through less than a month after release does not sound like it is overly difficult.

I've been running Task 1&2 on the Missions so far and mostly doing what I would be doing anyway.  The only thing is I am playing more high tier ships than I would without this campaign as I have a few lines that have not made it to Tier 8 that I would like to make progress on.  For now, this is fine with me as I am finishing grinds in lines that I enjoy.

At the end of the day, you have to look at the effort required against the reward and decide if that is worth it to you.  There are many short term missions and campaigns that I avoid as I don't consider the reward worth the effort.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
On 6/1/2018 at 8:52 AM, AdmiralThunder said:
I am a Co-op player. Just how it is. I want Halsey as bad as anyone does but going into PVP, for many reasons, just isn't going to happen so I will have to earn him in Co-op where I play. This will NOT be an easy task in PVP and in Co-op it borders on Herculean for perseverance and patience.  I wanted to see just what I was up against so I did the math. It is pretty intimidating so if you are easily daunted look no further if you plan to go for Halsey in Co-op :Smile_hiding: LOL. 
Before I actually list the breakdown let me say a couple quick things. The first is how much I appreciate WG allowing Co-op players a path to Halsey as well unlike Yamamoto where it is not possible. That is great. I also think going by XP/Capt XP/Credits earned is a fair method as it allows Co-op players a means to acquire Halsey while satisfying PVP players who don't want Co-op players having an easier road to him than they do (and trust me our road is very bumpy, full of dangerous curves, big hills, rock and mud slides, etc... - will be a LONG trip  :Smile_ohmy:LOL). I am just glad to have a way to get him where I enjoy playing the game. So kudos to WG for listening to the requests of PVE mains on this subject (ie; events for Co-op too).

Now with that said, let me add I think it was possible to maybe include Co-op in a few of the other tasks too to help make it a bit easier for us as it does PVP players. The Co-op CV tasks are there in Mission 5 which is great if you play CV but not everyone does. There are at least a couple in each stage of this where it could have also been Co-op included and been fair to PVP players. These tasks are not something that would be unreasonable for Co-op as well. I am not whining and am happy to have SOME means to get Halsey but again some of those tasks are reasonable for Co-op as well. Would be nice to have something to work at besides XP and Credits. Maybe in the future give a bit more thought to the tasks and if they are Co-op reasonable as well? 

So, now we get down to it. IF you want to earn Halsey 100% in Co-op then this is the path to get there...

***Unless noted otherwise tasks may be completed using any T8-T10 Ships***

Available Co-op Tasks Mission I:  (9 Stars Required)
  • Earn 50k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 2.5 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 9 Stars Reached = 20K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 2:  (10 Stars Required)
  • Earn 60k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 3 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 10 Stars Reached = 25K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 3:  (12 Stars Required)
  • Earn 75k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 4Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 12 Stars Reached = 30K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 4:  (12 Stars Required)
  • Earn 85k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 4.5 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 12 Stars Reached = 35K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 5:  (15 Stars Required)
  • Earn 100k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 5 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Hit Enemy Ships 100 times w/ Torps = 1 Star (T8-T10 CV)
  • Shoot down 250 Enemy Planes = 1 Star (T8-T10 CV)
  • Earn 10,000,000 Credits = 3 Stars (T10 US CV)
  • Final Task Once 15 Stars Reached = 50K XP

Just to get an idea of how insane this is going to be let's assume that you earn 1/2 the stars for each task in Capt XP and the other 1/2 in credits. That would mean you would need to do the following in each Mission to earn Halsey solely in Co-op (and if you don't play CV to have a chance at those couple other tasks)...

Mission 1:
  • 4 Stars @ 50K Capt XP p/ Star = 200K Capt XP
  • 5 Stars @ 2.5 Million Credits p/ Star = 12.5 Million Credits

Mission 2:
  • 5 Stars @ 60K Capt XP p/ Star = 300K Capt XP
  • 5 Stars @ 3 Million Credits p/ Star = 15 Million Credits

Mission 3:
  • 6 Stars @ 75K Capt XP p/ Star = 450K Capt XP
  • 6 Stars @ 4 Million Credits p/ Star = 24 Million Credits

Mission 4:
  • 6 Stars @ 85K Capt XP p/ Star = 510K Capt XP
  • 6 Stars @ 4.5 Million Credits p/ Star = 27 Million Credits

Mission 5:
  • 7 Stars @ 100K Capt XP p/ Star = 700K Capt XP
  • 8 Stars @ 5 Million Credits p/ Star = 40 Million Credits

So if you plan to earn Halsey playing strictly Co-op, as I will, and don't CV like me so you have to go solely for Capt XP and Credits, you will have to earn the following totals (approx. - can be more credits for example - depends on how you earn) to get Halsey...

• Capt XP = 2.16 Million
  • Credits = 118.5 Million
  • Final Tasks XP = 160K

To get an idea of just how long that will take for me in Co-op I took my approx. average Capt XP and Credit earnings from T8-T10 games and did the math with the above figures and it basically comes out to around 450-500 games played!  So lace up the hiking boots guys and gals if you want to go for Halsey in Co-op as you have a very long road ahead of you. IF you don't have premium time and you don't run camo and flags the grind will be about 3X['s worse. I see a lot of shop purchases for dragon series flags in my future LOL. Man I am depressed now LOL:Smile_facepalm:

Good luck to you in your quest. And let me add this. If you do earn Halsey in Co-op 100% let no one tell you "it was easier because you play Co-op". He will be 100% EARNED! :Smile_honoring:

Very Constructive and Informative.....+100

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,656 battles

Not as well crafted as the good Admiral's report (and for comparison as I play plenty of PvP):

Mission 1 was completed with the following Tasks:

• 5x Task 1 (50K Commander XP, all)
  • 3x Task 2 (2.5M credits)
  • 1x Task 3 (In a win, sink 1 DD and survive, Random)

Mission 2 was completed with the following Tasks:

• 7x Task 1 (60K Commander XP)
  • 3x Task 2 (3M credits)

I've finished Task 1 of Mission 3 twice for the two stars I have so far.

I've been mostly running only the Economic signals you can buy directly.  I've been running the Commander XP Draconic signals for the 19-point captains (and the captains I am focusing on finishing their grind to 19 points) more recently.

[PVE]
Members
11,287 posts
21,770 battles

17 days and 392 games later I am done. :Smile_playing:

• Capt Stars = 35
  • Credit Stars = 23
  • All Co-op

Started off the campaign with Missouri and appropriately ended it with MO as well. Now I just need to figure out where I will put him???

TVD7mrO.jpg

6O31dxP.jpg

a7bKfoH.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 3