You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

So, you want to earn Halsey but you only play Co-op? Look inside...

215 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,245 posts
21,560 battles
***UPDATE - I have completed the campaign 100% in Co-op. If interested in the results go to page 5 post #124 for more info. This can be done only in Co-op but it will take some time and a lot of games.***

I am a Co-op player. Just how it is. I want Halsey as bad as anyone does but going into PVP, for many reasons, just isn't going to happen so I will have to earn him in Co-op where I play. This will NOT be an easy task in PVP and in Co-op it borders on Herculean for perseverance and patience.  I wanted to see just what I was up against so I did the math. It is pretty intimidating so if you are easily daunted look no further if you plan to go for Halsey in Co-op :Smile_hiding: LOL. 
Before I actually list the breakdown let me say a couple quick things. The first is how much I appreciate WG allowing Co-op players a path to Halsey as well unlike Yamamoto where it is not possible. That is great. I also think going by XP/Capt XP/Credits earned is a fair method as it allows Co-op players a means to acquire Halsey while satisfying PVP players who don't want Co-op players having an easier road to him than they do (and trust me our road is very bumpy, full of dangerous curves, big hills, rock and mud slides, etc... - will be a LONG trip  :Smile_ohmy:LOL). I am just glad to have a way to get him where I enjoy playing the game. So kudos to WG for listening to the requests of PVE mains on this subject (ie; events for Co-op too).

Now with that said, let me add I think it was possible to maybe include Co-op in a few of the other tasks too to help make it a bit easier for us as it does PVP players. The Co-op CV tasks are there in Mission 5 which is great if you play CV but not everyone does. There are at least a couple in each stage of this where it could have also been Co-op included and been fair to PVP players. These tasks are not something that would be unreasonable for Co-op as well. I am not whining and am happy to have SOME means to get Halsey but again some of those tasks are reasonable for Co-op as well. Would be nice to have something to work at besides XP and Credits. Maybe in the future give a bit more thought to the tasks and if they are Co-op reasonable as well? 

So, now we get down to it. IF you want to earn Halsey 100% in Co-op then this is the path to get there...

***Unless noted otherwise tasks may be completed using any T8-T10 Ships***

Available Co-op Tasks Mission I:  (9 Stars Required)
  • Earn 50k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 2.5 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 9 Stars Reached = 20K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 2:  (10 Stars Required)
  • Earn 60k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 3 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 10 Stars Reached = 25K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 3:  (12 Stars Required)
  • Earn 75k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 4Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 12 Stars Reached = 30K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 4:  (12 Stars Required)
  • Earn 85k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 4.5 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Final Task Once 12 Stars Reached = 35K XP

Available Co-op Tasks Mission 5:  (15 Stars Required)
  • Earn 100k Capt XP = 1 Star
  • Earn 5 Million Credits = 1 Star
  • Hit Enemy Ships 100 times w/ Torps = 1 Star (T8-T10 CV)
  • Shoot down 250 Enemy Planes = 1 Star (T8-T10 CV)
  • Earn 10,000,000 Credits = 3 Stars (T10 US CV)
  • Final Task Once 15 Stars Reached = 50K XP

Just to get an idea of how insane this is going to be let's assume that you earn 1/2 the stars for each task in Capt XP and the other 1/2 in credits. That would mean you would need to do the following in each Mission to earn Halsey solely in Co-op (and if you don't play CV to have a chance at those couple other tasks)...

Mission 1:
  • 4 Stars @ 50K Capt XP p/ Star = 200K Capt XP
  • 5 Stars @ 2.5 Million Credits p/ Star = 12.5 Million Credits

Mission 2:
  • 5 Stars @ 60K Capt XP p/ Star = 300K Capt XP
  • 5 Stars @ 3 Million Credits p/ Star = 15 Million Credits

Mission 3:
  • 6 Stars @ 75K Capt XP p/ Star = 450K Capt XP
  • 6 Stars @ 4 Million Credits p/ Star = 24 Million Credits

Mission 4:
  • 6 Stars @ 85K Capt XP p/ Star = 510K Capt XP
  • 6 Stars @ 4.5 Million Credits p/ Star = 27 Million Credits

Mission 5:
  • 7 Stars @ 100K Capt XP p/ Star = 700K Capt XP
  • 8 Stars @ 5 Million Credits p/ Star = 40 Million Credits

So if you plan to earn Halsey playing strictly Co-op, as I will, and don't CV like me so you have to go solely for Capt XP and Credits, you will have to earn the following totals (approx. - can be more credits for example - depends on how you earn) to get Halsey...

• Capt XP = 2.16 Million
  • Credits = 118.5 Million
  • Final Tasks XP = 160K

To get an idea of just how long that will take for me in Co-op I took my approx. average Capt XP and Credit earnings from T8-T10 games and did the math with the above figures and it basically comes out to around 450-500 games played!  So lace up the hiking boots guys and gals if you want to go for Halsey in Co-op as you have a very long road ahead of you. IF you don't have premium time and you don't run camo and flags the grind will be about 3X['s worse. I see a lot of shop purchases for dragon series flags in my future LOL. Man I am depressed now LOL:Smile_facepalm:

Good luck to you in your quest. And let me add this. If you do earn Halsey in Co-op 100% let no one tell you "it was easier because you play Co-op". He will be 100% EARNED! :Smile_honoring:
Edited by AdmiralThunder
correct figures to incldue final tasks
  • Cool 23
  • Boring 1

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,132 battles

If you have a good scenario game, you can earn 25-35,000 commander XP in a single game (stacking the red dragon, dragon, and hydra flag with some of the 200% commander XP missions and first win, premium, camos) , so I think earning the commander XP is doable solely in scenarios. 

Credits are a different matter.  I don't think you'll get more stars from credits than commander XP

So maybe 1 or 2 stars from credits 3 at the most and the balance from commander XP?

Think of the one 19-point captain you'll get from doing this way?

Edited by wtfovr

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles
21 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Good luck to you in your quest.

Great Read AT thanks for posting.:Smile_honoring:

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
574 posts
15,550 battles
Thanks for posting Admiral Thunder. I too appreciate that WG is giving Co-op players at least a Path to getting Halsey, that was nice of them, though this quest does look like 500 games need to be played to get him...

On Mission One I do see that the first two tasks can be played in coop.  I'm only able to select the first of the tasks, it won't let me select 2.  I'll try again tonight to make sure I don't have a Yamamoto task still floating around in the ether.

What's really interesting here is that it may be that getting Halsey in co-op is FAR more difficult a quest than doing it in Random.

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,132 battles

I've got my XP calculator set up to calculate the XP and commander XP you get for a 500 base XP game (totally doable in coop)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12PQ5ysTuGoEsJPt82FeZ3fc_wpEYJQXC_cKV0cdvQsI/edit?usp=sharing

So for a vanilla game in coop - you can get around 8000-9000 commander XP in a 500 base XP coop game.

[PVE]
Members
11,245 posts
21,560 battles
2 minutes ago, nagasakee said:
Thanks for posting Admiral Thunder. I too appreciate that WG is giving Co-op players at least a Path to getting Halsey, that was nice of them, though this quest does look like 500 games need to be played to get him...

On Mission One I do see that the first two tasks can be played in coop.  I'm only able to select the first of the tasks, it won't let me select 2.  I'll try again tonight to make sure I don't have a Yamamoto task still floating around in the ether.

What's really interesting here is that it may be that getting Halsey in co-op is FAR more difficult a quest than doing it in Random.

You should just be able to play and it should happen. You shouldn't have to actually go through the campaign window to do it. You can repeat each task as many times as needed until enough stars are accumulated (9 for Mission 1) to finish it and move on to Mission 2.

[PVE]
Members
11,245 posts
21,560 battles
15 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

If you have a good scenario game, you can earn 25-35,000 commander XP in a single game (stacking the red dragon, dragon, and hydra flag with some of the 200% commander XP missions and first win, premium, camos) , so I think earning the commander XP is doable solely in scenarios. 

Credits are a different matter.  I don't think you'll get more stars from credits than commander XP

So maybe 1 or 2 stars from credits 3 at the most and the balance from commander XP?

I don't play scenarios unfortunately. I like Co-op and it is really the only area I want to play the game in. However I usually make good Capt XP and have seem 15K+ often even in Co-op. Had a Minotaur game just the other day that gave me 16K+ Capt XP in Co-op. At T8+ 5-10K p/ game is average for me in Co-op so it won't be TOO bad. I see a LOT of Missouri games in my future for the credits LOL (Musashi and Kronshtadt too). I probably will do about 1/2  credit stars and 1/2 Capt XP ones. I have a lot of premiums and a lot of flags and average 350-500K and sometimes even break 600K in Co-op at those tiers. I was just kind of doing a hypothetical example and it is why I gave a 50 games played spread. 

I am actually creating a log right now and will track how many games it took and where I earned stars and such. Will be interesting (for me) to see how I do it when I EVENTUALLY get there WAAYYY DOWN THE ROAD... LOL

[PVE]
Beta Testers
126 posts
9,899 battles
20 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

Except you can"t do it in scenarios.

[VW]
Members
3,897 posts
18,810 battles

at least you'll end up with a lot of credits lol! i've been running me Miz nonstop for exactly this reason. plus i'm not going to jump into the cruiser missions until cruiserfest calms down a bit.

[PVE]
Members
11,245 posts
21,560 battles
15 minutes ago, Jack_Tar said:

Except you can"t do it in scenarios.

Actually you can. Task 1 and Task 2 in each mission can be done in PVE (Co-op and Scenarios).

Scratch that. I thought that was a Scenario icon and it is Clan battles. So you are right no OP's.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,756 posts
22,124 battles
27 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

Yeah in OPs you can rake in the xp, unfortunately you can't use them to do the campaign. Has to be co-op, ranked, or random... It will be a very long slog doing it all in PvE, getting all those stars will take months so I won't be putting any real effort in it. What I may do is go into PvP play and just fail my way thru the campaign like I did with the Yamamoto one. Just went in, blapped a few ships a few times and even on a loss, I made much more credits and xp than I would in a really good game in PvE. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

I'm surprised they allowed these tasks to be done in co-op as well, unlike the Yamamoto campaign which is exclusively for random.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,756 posts
22,124 battles
2 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

I'm surprised they allowed these tasks to be done in co-op as well, unlike the Yamamoto campaign which is exclusively for random.

Actually the Honors and the Yamamoto campaigns were the weird ones. Every other campaign had a path to getting it done in PvE. 

[PVE]
Beta Testers
126 posts
9,899 battles
57 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:
Snip

So if you plan to earn Halsey playing strictly Co-op, as I will, and don't CV like me so you have to go solely for Capt XP and Credits, you will have to earn the following totals (approx. - can be more credits for example - depends on how you earn) to get Halsey...

• Capt XP = 2.16 Million
  • Credits = 118.5 Million
  • XP = 50K (Final Task)

To get an idea of just how long that will take for me in Co-op I took my approx. average Capt XP and Credit earnings from T8-T10 games and did the math with the above figures and it basically comes out to around 450-500 games played!  So lace up the hiking boots guys and gals if you want to go for Halsey in Co-op as you have a very long road ahead of you. IF you don't have premium time and you don't run camo and flags the grind will be about 3X['s worse. I see a lot of shop purchases for dragon series flags in my future LOL. Man I am depressed now LOL:Smile_facepalm:

Good luck to you in your quest. And let me add this. If you do earn Halsey in Co-op 100% let no one tell you "it was easier because you play Co-op". He will be 100% EARNED! :Smile_honoring:

On top of this you also have to complete the final task in each stage which adds up to another 110k XP meaning 160k XP all up. At least they let you apply modifiers to this.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles
2 minutes ago, Jack_Tar said:

At least they let you apply modifiers to this.

And they take the credits requirement from gross rather than net.

Which brings me to the next particular question: @AdmiralThunder, what is the economic situation of a Tier 8 cruiser in PvE, assuming no premium time and no flags?

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

If you do earn Halsey in Co-op 100% let no one tell you "it was easier because you play Co-op". He will be 100% EARNED! :Smile_honoring:

Sorry, Thunder, but it is easier.  The fact that it will be a lot more grindy and time consuming doesn't change that it's easier.  Many things in life can be simple yet difficult.  Earning a big pile of commander's XP or credits in co-op is simple yet time-consuming.  That's because those are two separate concepts.  There is nothing difficult about earning a lot of commander's XP in coop, for example.  But that doesn't mean that it would be time consuming.

I will say this.  If you intend to get Halsey playing nothing but coop, you have a very long, grindy, time-consuming road ahead of you.  And when you finish that road, you will have earned it.  But no more so than anyone else who has gotten Halsey using modes other than coop.

PS.  I would suggest trying to do some of your grinding in Operations, since Ops are more rewarding in terms of XP and credits than coop.

EDIT:  Apparently, a LOT of people don't understand the difference between "simple" and "easy".  For example, something that is just a grind, like having to do a bunch of damage with no target limitations or earn a bunch of XP with no game mode limitations is "simple".  But it's also not necessarily "easy".  Say that there's a mission that requires you to do 100 million main gun damage with no game mode limitations or target limitations.  That's a simple requirement that will still be rather difficult to achieve due to the large amount of damage required.

The same is true in what I said above.  Earning a big pile of commander's XP or credits in coop is simple, because it's so incredibly straight forward.  But because it's so grindy and time consuming, it's also difficult.

Edited by Crucis
  • Meh 7

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Sorry, Thunder, but it is easier.  The fact that it will be a lot more grindy and time consuming doesn't change that it's easier.  Many things in life can be simple yet difficult.  Earning a big pile of commander's XP or credits in co-op is simple yet time-consuming.  That's because those are two separate concepts.  There is nothing difficult about earning a lot of commander's XP in coop, for example.  But that doesn't mean that it would be time consuming.

I will say this.  If you intend to get Halsey playing nothing but coop, you have a very long, grindy, time-consuming road ahead of you.  And when you finish that road, you will have earned it.  But no more so than anyone else who has gotten Halsey using modes other than coop.

PS.  I would suggest trying to do some of your grinding in Operations, since Ops are more rewarding in terms of XP and credits than coop.

Are there any ops that accept T8+ that Halsey campaign calls for?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,756 posts
22,124 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Which brings me to the next particular question: @AdmiralThunder, what is the economic situation of a Tier 8 cruiser in PvE, assuming no premium time and no flags?

I have been dealing with this with my upgraded Cleveland. I got detonated without firing a shot, I killed one plane before dying. I lost 17k credits and earned 79 xp and that was a first win as well. In another match I did ok, managed 60k in damage, got a cap, sank a few ships and earned 16k in credits and around 700xp again on a first win. 

2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

You can't use OPs for the campaign. It is stupid IMHO but they say only ranked, random, and co-op. You figure. 

[SALVO]
Members
24,197 posts
24,546 battles
4 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

Are there any ops that accept T8+ that Halsey campaign calls for?

The current Operation, Hermes, accepts the Gascogne and the Richelieu.  That's the only operation that you can use tier 8's in, at this time.

But overall, you're right.  I overlooked the tier requirement.  My bad.

Members
196 posts
4,922 battles

The funny thing is, I'm a PvP player and I STILL plan on doing just the 1 star cap xp and credits missions.   Most of the other missions seem like a cruel joke to me.

"Do 150k damage in one match on a tier 8 cruiser and win the battle."  Yeah right.  I'm either going to do 60-70k damage and win the Battle, because the rest of my team is pulling their weight,  Or I'm going to do massive damage and lose because the rest of my team did nothing.  In essence, my ability to deal damage is limited by how good my team is.

"Kill 2 destroyers in a single battle and survive the battle"  well..  okay. I don't consider this easy, but it would be do-able if anyone were actually playing destroyers right now.  As it is, I only need to race to where I think the first enemy destroyer is, use radar to spot him while his entire team is able to see me because that's how close I have to get to him, hopefully destroy him before his team whipes me out and then I still need to make it to the only other destroyer on the enemy team before any of the 15 other cruisers on my team spot him and kill him.  Sadly, this IS actually do-able..  at least for about 1 in 6 cruiser players..  assuming you get into the roughly 3/4 (currently 1/2) of matches that actually have more than 1 destroyer.

"Get within the top 3 places on your team by xp earned in 18 battles".. with a cruiser tier 8 or higher.  Top 3 places..  tier 8 cruiser..  I guess it doesn't call for me to win..  If my team is REALLY horrible I MIGHT be able to do this..  I mean the cruiser is a support vessel.. if My team is working with my support they should be doing well and thus getting better xp than me.  I'd rather think that my team isn't going to be that horrible in 18 matches though.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,860 posts
4,861 battles

In stage five, you can try your luck with 10m credit mission for a lot of stars if you happen to have a Midway...in Co-op, of course.

Good luck...:Smile_trollface:

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,278 battles
36 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't play scenarios unfortunately. I like Co-op and it is really the only area I want to play the game in. However I usually make good Capt XP and have seem 15K+ often even in Co-op. Had a Minotaur game just the other day that gave me 16K+ Capt XP in Co-op. At T8+ 5-10K p/ game is average for me in Co-op so it won't be TOO bad. I see a LOT of Missouri games in my future for the credits LOL (Musashi and Kronshtadt too). I probably will do about 1/2  credit stars and 1/2 Capt XP ones. I have a lot of premiums and a lot of flags and average 350-500K and sometimes even break 600K in Co-op at those tiers. I was just kind of doing a hypothetical example and it is why I gave a 50 games played spread. 

I am actually creating a log right now and will track how many games it took and where I earned stars and such. Will be interesting (for me) to see how I do it when I EVENTUALLY get there WAAYYY DOWN THE ROAD... LOL

Why don't you play scenarios? It is PVE, is it the difficulty level that turns you off?

• Meh 4

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have been dealing with this with my upgraded Cleveland. I got detonated without firing a shot, I killed one plane before dying. I lost 17k credits and earned 79 xp and that was a first win as well. In another match I did ok, managed 60k in damage, got a cap, sank a few ships and earned 16k in credits and around 700xp again on a first win. 

I can deal with minimal gains or even tiny losses (1-2K) on an ongoing basis if I can make it up in lower-tier games straight after; the benefit to co-op for me would be the gain of XP, however small, with a relatively high win rate to keep my morale up through the grind as well as learning my ship better in a somewhat less lethal environment.

3 minutes ago, Gothik_Knight said:

The funny thing is, I'm a PvP player and I STILL plan on doing just the 1 star cap xp and credits missions.   Most of the other missions seem like a cruel joke to me.

Most of the others are simply beyond my capability and I know it. Getting into the top three might be game-able; play it late at night with nobody about, and you could find yourself in much smaller teams with a higher probability of making top three.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

Why don't you play scenarios? It is PVE, is it the difficulty level that turns you off?

IIRC from other posts he's got physical health issues which interfere with his ability to play the game at a very high level, and Co-Op is the area he copes best in.