You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wtfovr

Price of freedom containers isn’t free.

53 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
433 posts
3,382 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 5:07 AM, Woofship said:

It seems the Bismarck containers both come with less special flags than the American containers, but it's hard to determine whether that's value for money or not since we never had them for purchase and only added in as sweeteners to the deals.

Not true; 'Draconic' signal flags have been sold unbundled on the NA server twice.

Here is a link to the first instance, shorty after their introduction to the game with the Bismarck campaign: LINK

WG seems to assign value to purchasable items in Doubloons, and then set their purchase price based on a conversion rate.  Based on the link above, a player wishing to assign a value to a flag could use either $0.35 or $0.28 per flag.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, HorrorRoach said:

You get credits instead of doubloons?! OMG, thats a terrible precedent. I guess they don't want whales to buy a lot of crates.

It's not a new precedent; see below.

21 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I'm guessing that too many people bought those STEAM packs just for the doubloons for duplicate ships, and they changed their policy to go to credits instead.  For tech tree ships, sure.  But I think it was fair to give doubloons for ships you used doubloons to get.

The steam bundles have nothing to do with it.

The rule for duplicate premium ship compensation is quite simple.  If you buy a duplicate from the premium web store, you are compensated with it's current doubloon price from the tech tree.  If you drop a duplicate premium in a container, you get it's doubloon equivalent.

If you earn a duplicate premium through an in-game mission, you receive it's equivalent value in credits.  The earn-able Aigle, DoY, twitch Texas, and the current Indy campaign all give/gave credits if you earned the ship after having bought it.  Because the chance at premium ships via Freedom Containers gives you a mission to earn the ship, and not the ship itself, it falls under this rule.

• Cool 3

[-PVE-]
Members
250 posts
13,014 battles

Not sure if this is brag or giving information to others. Hate loot crates but reading this forum post decided that one crate is same as a meal at a fast food restaurant so bought one. Got the Kidd mission and now have the Kidd. Maybe, because of the new laws in Europe the odds are better. But $5 for this ship, flags and start of a new mission is great. Hope others do as well.  

Edited by Mykawa
wrong word
  • Cool 1

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,179 posts
25,748 battles

I bought ten of the freedom containers and got the Monahan...and the all great dragon flags which you need for the Halsey campaign so was worth it to me.

[-PVE-]
Members
250 posts
13,014 battles
On 6/2/2018 at 5:06 PM, Mykawa said:

Not sure if this is brag or giving information to others. Hate loot crates but reading this forum post decided that one crate is same as a meal at a fast food restaurant so bought one. Got the Kidd mission and now have the Kidd. Maybe, because of the new laws in Europe the odds are better. But $5 for this ship, flags and start of a new mission is great. Hope others do as well.  

OK this is a brag post, today decided to buy one more Freedom crate. Got the Atlanta mission! Have not started it yet but will be ease. Sorry for those who have not done well, but WG has improved the odds on this one over previous loot boxes. However, I know when to walk away from the table. Thanks War Gaming

[SVF]
Members
1,580 posts
1,871 battles

Bought a 30 pack of Freedom containers:

3 out of 5 obtainable ship missions (Atlanta, Monaghan, and Cleveland), 27 unique items, 33 duplicate items, 200 Wyvern flags, 100 Red Dragon flags, 120 Dragon flags, 140 Ouroboros flags, 40 Hydra flags.

Not the best possible set of pulls, but I'm content with them.

[FC]
Members
25 posts
4,395 battles

I bought 10 of these containers at first, and got the Monaghan, which was super cool, but I wondered if it was just a lucky grab, so i bought 30 more to see if I could get the Kidd (having missed it while it was on sale), and I actually not only got a complete collection from them, but I also got every other ship mission (Sims, Atlanta, Kidd, Cleveland). I also saw a couple Youtube vids with very similar results. That being said, If you don't have any of these ships, and you have my same luck, you get more than you paid for the containers' value in Premium Ships. Personally, I think Wargaming did a great job with these.

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
25 minutes ago, Chuck92 said:

I bought 10 of these containers at first, and got the Monaghan, which was super cool, but I wondered if it was just a lucky grab, so i bought 30 more to see if I could get the Kidd (having missed it while it was on sale), and I actually not only got a complete collection from them, but I also got every other ship mission (Sims, Atlanta, Kidd, Cleveland). I also saw a couple Youtube vids with very similar results. That being said, If you don't have any of these ships, and you have my same luck, you get more than you paid for the containers' value in Premium Ships. Personally, I think Wargaming did a great job with these.

If the ship missions were ships instead (so dubloons, not credits) I'd 100x buy these.

But I only need the Monaghan, so paying $99 for a bunch of credits, flags, and the Monaghan isn't super exciting to me...

Edited by enderland07

[-PVE-]
Members
250 posts
13,014 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

If the ship missions were ships instead (so dubloons, not credits) I'd 100x buy these.

But I only need the Monaghan, so paying $99 for a bunch of credits, flags, and the Monaghan isn't super exciting to me...

Try just one, price of burger, fries and drink. WG appears to be generous on this loot box. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,545 posts
On 6/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, HorrorRoach said:

You get credits instead of doubloons?! OMG, thats a terrible precedent. I guess they don't want whales to buy a lot of crates.

That has always been that way....

You receive a gift ship that you already have, you get credits. You buy a ship that you already have for cash, you get doubloons.

You are only buying crates, with a chance at the ships....

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
30 minutes ago, Mykawa said:

Try just one, price of burger, fries and drink. WG appears to be generous on this loot box. 

you can't just get 1 lootbox :v

Members
3,725 posts
On 6/1/2018 at 9:44 AM, SavageTactical said:

That’s because freedom isn’t free.

(Can’t believe I’m the first one to say this cheesy joke)

That was my first response as well, but it's not cheesy, it's true.

[BS]
Members
1,967 posts
10,504 battles
50 minutes ago, awiggin said:

That has always been that way....

You receive a gift ship that you already have, you get credits. You buy a ship that you already have for cash, you get doubloons.

You are only buying crates, with a chance at the ships....

Dude, why would you try to rationalize a crappy precedent? Santa crates have a "chance" for various ships, and you get doubloons if you already have the ship. These American containers give out missions, which circumvent the duplicate doubloonery. I will not be buying santa crates if they pull this mission unlock crap.

EJ

[SVF]
Members
1,580 posts
1,871 battles
1 hour ago, mulafasi said:

What d o the ship missions entail?

Earn 5000 Base XP by August 20th in any T5+ ship, get the ship(s) for the mission(s) you have acquired.

[-PVE-]
Members
250 posts
13,014 battles
1 hour ago, mulafasi said:

What d o the ship missions entail?

5000 Base XP.

1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

you can't just get 1 lootbox :v

Funny, I have gotten 2, one at a time for $5 US each. Go look in the store. I also now have the Atlanta :-)

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
73 posts
5,414 battles
6 minutes ago, landcollector said:

Earn 5000 Base XP by August 20th in any T5+ ship, get the ship(s) for the mission(s) you have acquired.

That's easy enough. Thought it would be more complicated than that.

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
12 minutes ago, Mykawa said:

Funny, I have gotten 2, one at a time for $5 US each. Go look in the store. I also now have the Atlanta :-)

I mean...

you bought two (not 1). I think that proves my point lol.

[-PVE-]
Members
250 posts
13,014 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

I mean...

you bought two (not 1). I think that proves my point lol.

Not sure why you want to argue, but bought one box on Sunday, got the Kidd mission, bought one today, got the Atlanta mission. Yes you can buy just one box from the shop.

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
Just now, Mykawa said:

Not sure why you want to argue, but bought one box on Sunday, got the Kidd mission, bought one today, got the Atlanta mission. Yes you can buy just one box from the shop.

OK, I guess I'll ELI5.

Lootboxes work by triggering endorphines and stimulating your brain. Buying 1 by itself is very difficult to do because your brain is telling you "buy more! you'll win!" - this is the gambling aspect that makes the EU want to regulate them.

Considering you yourself bought two already, my point is being made even more clearly.

Is it logistically possible to buy 1? Yes. But you (and many/most others) will not just buy 1.

[-PVE-]
Members
250 posts
13,014 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

OK, I guess I'll ELI5.

Lootboxes work by triggering endorphines and stimulating your brain. Buying 1 by itself is very difficult to do because your brain is telling you "buy more! you'll win!" - this is the gambling aspect that makes the EU want to regulate them.

Considering you yourself bought two already, my point is being made even more clearly.

Is it logistically possible to buy 1? Yes. But you (and many/most others) will not just buy 1.

OK, you were joking. Your right, unless they sink like they did last time and I only bought one that time and saw the results everyone else was having. Sorry, don't remember what group or missions those were, (French?) However, with this luck, War Gaming will sell me loot boxes, just like the first Santa crates.  Approx, $80 worth of ships for $10. Now out to get sunk in my Atlanta. 

[NGA]
Members
1,978 posts
10,902 battles

I drew all five offered ships in my thirty container package. Considering the Kidd alone is worth nearly half that price. Worth it.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,919 posts
13,155 battles

It would seem the break even point is at quite a few crates, considering what the value of the individual ships is. Given the success rate for these, it's a gamble with very good odds.

There's a case to be made for waiting closer to the end of the Indianapolis marathon missions, then dropping cash on the crates if I haven't managed to pick up any ship missions with the crates I won.

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,939 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 7:44 AM, SavageTactical said:

That’s because freedom isn’t free.

(Can’t believe I’m the first one to say this cheesy joke)

I was amazed it took that long as well.

Freedom is always costly, and depending on your values, very pricey.

My thought is, its just the new collection on the block. Once again they raise the stakes, and thus raise the price. Its related to power creep, but better defined as wallet creep.

Members
768 posts
18,340 battles
On 01/06/2018 at 3:07 PM, Woofship said:

Again this is also a shady part of the deal, we are not told what are the chances of getting the special missions for the premium ships. They might be 1%, might be 20%, might be even 50%, but WG doesn't tell us, which I find kinda scummy.

To give an example, you have around ~3% chance to get a supercontainer in your daily XP crate collections.

Then within each container, you have an average of ~1% chance getting a premium ship. The chances are higher for low tier ships, and less for higher tiers.

People seem to be getting some type of ship mission comparatively more frequently than they do in the supercontainers, but I still wouldn't expect them to be any more than 10-12%, more likely to be around 7%. Again, less for higher tier ships. 

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles

I'll add a counter point to the great pulls I guess. I bought a 30 pack because it's the cheapest per container and absolutely wanted to get the Monaghan. 

Out of those 30 containers I got exactly one ship mission - fortunately it was the Monaghan. I own the others, so no biggie, but the extra credits are always welcome.

I just point this out as it is possible to get few or no ship missions.

On the flip side I bought exactly one Christmas container the first time they were offered and it gave me the only premium I was missing at the time. (I think it was forced as it guaranteed a non-duplicate, but still a premium from one container). 

That's gambling and luck for ya I guess :)

Edited by MarshalSqueez