You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_h2o

19 pt captain, now what?

36 comments in this topic

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles

So I finally have my 19 pt captain, so now, do I just leave him in his boat only and use a different captain in my premiums? Or do I keep using my 19 pt in my premiums still? Which way is the most efficient?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts
22,077 battles

Use your 19 point captain in as many boats as you can even ones he isn't suited to. For instance if he is a DD captain and you have a premium BB, drop him in the battleship and play a match in co-op to farm the first win. Try and play him in every premium you can to get that first win bonus and move on. You will be surprised how quickly the Elite XP starts to build up.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester
3,519 posts
7,427 battles

Using a fully skilled captain on a T8 premium or a T10 ship is a good way to gain commander xp, I use mine to respec captains for free. 

Community Department
3,293 posts
1,296 battles
21 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

So I finally have my 19 pt captain, so now, do I just leave him in his boat only and use a different captain in my premiums? Or do I keep using my 19 pt in my premiums still? Which way is the most efficient?

Of course use him. It's the most efficient way to accelerate training and retraining of other commanders. Plus you may use commander xp for redistribution of skills if it is needed. 

[A-I-M]
Members
2,573 posts
12,042 battles
29 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Use your 19 point captain in as many boats as you can even ones he isn't suited to. For instance if he is a DD captain and you have a premium BB, drop him in the battleship and play a match in co-op to farm the first win. Try and play him in every premium you can to get that first win bonus and move on. You will be surprised how quickly the Elite XP starts to build up.

Co-op XP earnings are so small, even with first win bonus; you'd be better-off keeping him in his tech tree ship and playing another random.

Members
1,367 posts

HThe above is great advice. I had a bunch of sub 19 point captains so I only played that ship until I had enough elite company for a second Captain and ship. Then only played those two. Rinse and Repeat. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts
22,077 battles
38 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Co-op XP earnings are so small, even with first win bonus; you'd be better-off keeping him in his tech tree ship and playing another random.

Well you could assuming you want to put a DD captain in a premium BB and play in PvP hoping for a win.... I find getting 4 co-op wins in the time it takes to do one PvP battle where the outcome isn't guaranteed, to be a more efficient use of my time. A first win in PvE pays out pretty well, better than a loss in PvP, well assuming you don't go full potato.  

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,797 posts
13,379 battles

Have a good tech tree ship that your caotainnis trained for, and also use him in as many premium ships as possible.

My Bismarck has its own 19 point Captain that I use for farming Elite Captain XP which is fairly efficient. But I have another Captain in Queen Elizabeth that is almost 19 points, and he does a battle in Queen Elizabeth, Warspite, Duke of York, and Nelson each day to collect the daily XP bonuses off those ships. You should see how much that rakes in each day between the 4 ships. Also really helpful on your stats since you can level up low point Captains with all that Elite Captain XP and save yourself a lot of time and trouble, especially since some new ships are highly temperamental about having a Captain too low to have essential skills for certain ships.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,547 posts
33,577 battles

19 pointers are to be used in every Premium ship where they fit (skill-wise).

The more you play the more Elite XP you collect. Then you will get a second and it accelerates from there.

Play it early. Play it often.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,859 posts
4,861 battles

Keep him in that boat (or move to the boat you're best with if you can spare the gold) and use him on any premium possible. He'll need to work hard to put others up to the same position as his and earn even more elite EXP.

...my first 19-pointer is my LEX captain of all ships...and all the US prem I have are Marblehead, ArkBeta, and Albany..............

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
12 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I find getting 4 co-op wins in the time it takes to do one PvP battle where the outcome isn't guaranteed, to be a more efficient use of my time.

This is the crux of the PvE/PvP economic dichotomy - lower per-game gains vs. almost guaranteed results in a shorter time. But you certainly do have a point, and it's an option worth exploring whenever I'm waiting for my Edinburgh and Cleveland to return from port while chasing permanent campaigns.

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles

My 19 pt captain is on my Bizmarck and I run him on both my premium Graf Spee's every day. I'll just stick with that schedule. 

I guess what I was curious about is how fast I could get my other German captains up to 10 pt if I played them on my Spee's instead

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
24 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

I guess what I was curious about is how fast I could get my other German captains up to 10 pt if I played them on my Spee's instead

You only get one first win bonus per ship per day. Better to get it with the 19 point captain, whose extra skills may give you a better game with more XP earned, and who generates elite captain XP that can then be used by any of the others as you see fit. 

After you have exhausted the first-win bonuses, do as you please.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

It's up to Yuu. I have my 19pt COs in Ryujo/Kaga, Fubuki/Asashio, Richelieu/Dunkerque.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,046 posts
9,180 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

Kepp using that cpt, not only you might get the best out of some ships as you will farm elite XP to boost other cpts.

The first 19pts is the hardest one. But after you get one it starts to get easier because you farm elite XP.

[TDG]
Members
1,781 posts
11,221 battles

Ultimately, you want the 19-point captains on the ships you play the most.  Ideally, this will also be the ships you get the most XP in.

My 19-point captains are on MontanaMinotaur, and Akizuki.  I frequently have my Montana captain on my Missouri.  I get better XP on the Tier 10, but the Mighty Mo wins when credits are needed.

One thing that helps is to focus all the Elite Commander XP on grinding the next 19-point captain.  Here, I only spend it when it will get me an actual skill.

I do try to keep some around for retraining captains as I grind up lines.

Edited by YeOldeTraveller
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,797 posts
13,379 battles

I would like to partially disagree with some of the advice in this thread. If you have 19 BB Captain for BBs for example, I would only run him through multiple BBs if possible. Same goes for Cruiser captains, DD captains, and CV captains. Reason I feel like it could be unwise is because a BB Captain can be very efficient with his skills for a BB, but if he goes into another class of ship then he will not be as effective due to the fact each class of ship has some specialized skills needed for that class of ship. Like imagine not having Concealment Expert or Last Stand on a Cruiser or Destroyer?

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I would like to partially disagree with some of the advice in this thread. If you have 19 BB Captain for BBs for example, I would only run him through multiple BBs if possible. Same goes for Cruiser captains, DD captains, and CV captains. Reason I feel like it could be unwise is because a BB Captain can be very efficient with his skills for a BB, but if he goes into another class of ship then he will not be as effective due to the fact each class of ship has some specialized skills needed for that class of ship. Like imagine not having Concealment Expert or Last Stand on a Cruiser or Destroyer?

My BB captain works well in the Graf Spee. But for the hell of it I might try my cruiser captian in them to see how that works out

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
55 minutes ago, Xlap said:

The first 19pts is the hardest one. But after you get one it starts to get easier because you farm elite XP.

I imagine the trick is to get the second one in a different nation from the first, so they can access a second set of first-win bonuses.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts
22,077 battles
40 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

My BB captain works well in the Graf Spee. But for the hell of it I might try my cruiser captian in them to see how that works out

Remember player skill takes precedence to captain's skills. If you are a decent player in PvP, give it a shot and see what happens. At best you will farm loads of elite xp, at worst you will go full potato and learn a valuable lesson. Good luck! 

Edited by Taylor3006

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,859 posts
4,861 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I imagine the trick is to get the second one in a different nation from the first, so they can access a second set of first-win bonuses.

Yes...that is right. Especially if the one you got first is of a nation that is drought on premium ships...

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles
1 minute ago, pyantoryng said:

Yes...that is right. Especially if the one you got first is of a nation that is drought on premium ships...

You hit the nail on the head there; my highest captain is British, and I have just ONE British premium that I only bought today. Should be interesting to see how a cruiser captain works in Warspite, LOL.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts
22,077 battles
Just now, pyantoryng said:

This is really an important point that Pyan brings up. Try and make your high premium ship nations the priority. After those are covered, get your favorite ship a 19 pointer, then try and make one for each class of ship in each nation. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I throw my 19 point captains on my favorite ships to play. That way I don't spend any time retraining them, and they crank out elite captain XP, because I play my favorite ships a lot. Then more 19 point captains start pouring in.