You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
inktomi19d

Are the revamped USN cruisers fun?

53 comments in this topic

[1-]
Members
139 posts
6,533 battles
18 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Didn't the Shimakaze actually beat her design speed on trials? For some reason WG decided not to include that. I will definitely agree that paper ships have a huge advantage. No reason not to have the original Fubuki design for example if you don't have to worry about real life topweight issues.

On the original topic. I do really wish the US line didn't depend on finding a convenient low island to hide behind to be successful. Unfortunately the rolls of long-range-sniper and short-range-brawler are better filled by other lines.

Yea, US cruisers are support spammers and situational flankers. but all in all they feel really lackluster in comparison, at least as long as the occasional CV isnt around and thats exactly what they do better than anyone else:
Sitting behind a rock! Any other Cruiser or BB would be nuked by a CV (except Minotaur), but the Us actually have the AA firepower to just sit there and still be fine. Its anything else they pretty much suck at. they can do a good job stomping DDs, as long as there is no other ship around.

The Baltimore in its new MM hits a sweet spot for me. Its is agile enough, it has guns that can hit and pen other ships and the enemys arent as crazy leathal as higher tiers. This is a ship that works and feels good.
The Des Moines on the other hand is just ridiculously squishy if you look at any other cruiser. BBs and other cruisers are way harder to kill and - what is worse- kill you way faster. In all honesty I think the des moines needs a buff in terms of citadel size and survivability if you want to motivate players to do something else than sitting behind rocks. The 15km base range is pretty bad for a T10 ship too, where it all becomes an artillery game.

I started to grind the german Cruiser line and I barely played a couple of T5/6 matches and I already nuked 3 BBs with last minute torps- I didnt even realize that german Cruisers can shoot torps to the front. What else could you wish for ?! Holy Hell! Something a Us cruiser would never be able to do unless they suicide. With that you have to hope to somehow kill the german cruiser in a 1on1 before he reaches you or he WILL torp you to death.

On that topic: I never played the Russian Cruisers, how are they in comparison when it comes to torps? I know they are really tanky with +15k more HP. something I would expect from the US line. ^^°

Edited by Doomwaffel

Members
949 posts
10,819 battles

I like em.  Really like Cleveland during good MM T8 hours.  I kept Baltimore, Buffalo and DM - love them all.  For reference I thought the T9 Baltimore was a blast to grind. 

I ditched Pepsi and NO without trying, I have plenty of good T7 ships already. 

Absolutely can't wait for Worcester, the T9 CL is getting bad press so far.

[1-]
Members
139 posts
6,533 battles

I think its still a bit early to say. There are just way too many of them around lately to say how they fair under more normal match ups?

Maybe the difference becomes clearer once the Warchester is out, but right now I dont see  a BIG difference between the light and heavy line.
The light one obviously has slightly less Hp but is more mobile, both lines are rly easy to citadel. Both have the same crazy fire arcs/ rate, with a bit different damage.

Just as a personal oppinion, I would like to see slightly more difference. Like reducing the dmg taken from citadels or just the size of the thing for heavy cruisers and lower the fire arc a notch. Or maybe that would be something for one of those legendary uprades? Replacing the range upgrade but with higher gun velocity?