You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
inktomi19d

Are the revamped USN cruisers fun?

53 comments in this topic

Members
1,684 posts
8,050 battles

Simple question here: are the revamped USN cruisers fun to play?

I'm not talking about balance, because we won’t have good stats for a month or more, but are there ships among them that you want to play every day? Are there ships you would buy permanent cammo for? When you’re having a bad day, what would you play to unwind? Are there any ships where you might get that little feeling of glee when you find out you can use them in a new operation, or in a season of ranked? If tier 10 didn’t exist, are there any ships in the line which would be worth earning all on their own?

My thinking here is that it’s okay for a ship to underperform, as long as players like it. It’s fine if opinions are divided (I love the Colorado, for example, but I know most people hate it), or if there are some ships in a line which are boring while others are fun. What’s not okay is when too many ships in a row are boring. 

For me, I love the new Cleveland. With its consumables, and it’s island-hugging, fire-rainbow shooting style, she can be challenging, but rewarding too. The faults are part of the package. I get that not everyone is going to like it, but some of the best ships are very polarizing. Since this is a game, it’s probably better if some people like it and some people hate it than if everyone is bored by it. 

I’m gonna withold judgement on the CAs, but the fact that I’ve had the Pensacola, New Orleans, and Baltimore sitting in port (with permanent cammo on all of them) while I play other ships of the same tiers for fun every day says a lot about them. All three of those ships had some fun quirks whenever I was willing to put up with their abuse; now they mostly seem less painful but less interesting. I’ll wait til I’ve played them a bit more before selling any of them.

The Buffalo is definitely getting sold whenever I get Des Moines. There is nothing which sets the Buffalo apart, or makes it interesting (the extra turret is on the back, so it’s rarely used). I’d have kept the tier 9 Baltimore for sure; I know a lot of people hated that ship, but the crazy-fast rate of fire opened up a lot of options for that ship, and if you found ways to only expose your front two turrets it was very effective. In most circumstances, the Buffalo has dramatically lower DPM, so it kinda lacks options — It’s desinged to be adequate, and it is adequate, but adequate doesn’t earn a port slot. 

The CL line looks fun though, if Cleveland is an indication. I’m sure their going to be divisive ships, but divisive is fine — it’s better for half the player base to hate a ship and the other half to love it than for all to agree that it’s merely adequate. 

• Cool 3

Members
1,187 posts
6,084 battles

I have to say, I'm really liking the new version of the Cleveland at tier 8. Her playstyle will not be for everybody, and some players find her low velocity, high arcing flame thrower 152 mm guns hard to figure out, especially aiming at longer ranges, but man is she fun to play. She can be a DD player's worst nightmare with that low detection range, I've got her down to 9.1, and her 9 km radar. She is less forgiving at tier 8 if you make a mistake, especially in tier 9 and 10 random matches; so, if a player is not used to running tier 8-10 random matches, there will be a learning curve. That being said, I'm also looking forward to 0.7.6 and the new US light cruisers due to the play of the Cleveland. But Cleveland is definitely a keeper.

And with the exception of the Pensacola's snail pace turret rotation speed, I've enjoyed playing her as well. Those 203 mm guns hit hard at tier 6, and she is fun to run in the tier 6 Ops, like Killer Whale.

I haven't had a chance to play the New Orleans, Baltimore, Buffalo, or Des Moines on the live server, but I did get the opportunity to do so on the Public Test Server. I liked the New Orleans at tier 7, but the Baltimore felt not as strong at tier 8. At tier 9, I actually enjoyed the Buffalo, but not enough that I would keep her in port once I get the Des Moines. The tier X Des Moines is likely the only heavy cruiser I'll keep in port along with the Pensacola and New Orleans, which I'll keep for the tier 6 and 7 Operation Scenarios.

• Cool 1

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles

I have to admit that I sold most of them. Just not my thing, I guess. The test games I played in the Buffalo especially were flat. My play style isn't like everyone's, and the whole thing just came off as a bit of a let down to me.

• Cool 1

Members
84 posts
9,781 battles

I would like to give it more time, but sadly the way The US Cruisers line plays in PUP Its wolfpack or Hide behind island.,

The Lack of Torpedoes just hurts the US line.,   Here what you see more VIII BB's charging at US cruisers, even 2 vs 1 because 1/2 your shells gonna bounce or shatter anyway, plus you have no real threat to back them off... unless a DD happens to be in the area;  Your BB's are so busy trying to hide they are ineffective.

Its going to be ugly for  the first couple of weeks as the US line change will play differently;  Doesn't feel like before.,  My shells feel  like they have more arch and take way to long to get to target,  some turret rotations are way too slow for a US line,  Some ships feel sluggish so zig zaging will be a problem. (that's just me, maybe I need to give it more time and see )

It feels like my New US Line are all Atlanta's :)....Just big old AAA boats,  That doesn't sound right for Heavy US CA's  I can see this on the light line of CA's.. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles
On 01/06/2018 at 9:35 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

USN cruisers are currently OP. Tier for tier they're averaging almost as much damage as the same tier battleships, add superb win rates, K/D ratio, ship kill.

Way too early to draw that conclusion.  There are massive amounts of cruisers in the game for them to kill right now, and killing cruisers is what they do best.  When the numbers settle down and people get back to [edited] in their battleships, the numbers will normalize.

• Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
4,726 posts
14,443 battles
9 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Way too early to draw that conclusion.  There are massive amounts of cruisers in the game for them to kill right now, and killing cruisers is what they do best.  When the numbers settle down and people get back to window-licking in their battleships, the numbers will normalize.

True. When it gets back to more BBs than CAs on a team, most cruisers lose a bit of their fun factor. It hurts when a CA finds your citadel. Its back to port when a BB does it. Then there is oft mentioned lack of torps which means BBs have nothing to fear when getting up close and personal so US CAs may lose more than others.

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles
7 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

True. When it gets back to more BBs than CAs on a team, most cruisers lose a bit of their fun factor. It hurts when a CA finds your citadel. Its back to port when a BB does it. Then there is oft mentioned lack of torps which means BBs have nothing to fear when getting up close and personal so US CAs may lose more than others.

Once we return to the BB meta which is the norm, there will be cases where light cruisers can perform decently as long as the BBs push in, and the CLs burn them down from cover. I had a couple of those matches in the Cleveland 1-2 days before it was moved to T8 (goodbye factor), and did well in them. Had one match where it was basically just me and a DD holding down the east side on Estuary, ended up with 74k damage and 3 kills. One DD, the Fiji, and the Giulio. Escaped with exactly 19 HP because the island camping New Mex somehow managed to land very accurate shots at 16km. Earlier I also set him on fire. Then there was a Cyclone and I got to shoot at him again, did some more damage using IFHE to penetrate his superstructure before that stray shell ended my life.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[HDM]
Members
388 posts
15,041 battles

The only ship I'm not in love with after the reshuffle is the Buffalo. Can't seem to not be deleted upon seeing my first enemy. As for how I favor the ships before and now:

Before: 

1. Cleveland 2. Baltimore 3.NOLA 82nd. Pensacola 

Now:

1. Pensacola 2. Cleveland 3. Baltimore  4. Buffalo 5. NOLA

Yeah, the Pepsi is a great ship now that she never sees tier IX ships.

Members
1,684 posts
8,050 battles
3 hours ago, DukeRamulots said:

The only ship I'm not in love with after the reshuffle is the Buffalo. Can't seem to not be deleted upon seeing my first enemy. As for how I favor the ships before and now:

Before: 

1. Cleveland 2. Baltimore 3.NOLA 82nd. Pensacola 

Now:

1. Pensacola 2. Cleveland 3. Baltimore  4. Buffalo 5. NOLA

Yeah, the Pepsi is a great ship now that she never sees tier IX ships.

I've been getting back to loving the New Orleans, and the Pensacola, though Super Battleship Pensacola’s detection range still really pisses me off sometimes. I don’t have CE on that captain yet, so that ship is seen from farther away than my Yamato. If MM is unkind and puts me too far from an island, sometimes I get every BB within 20 km shooting at me before I even reach full speed. 

The Buffalo is boring though. I made her work through 34 matches, enough to unlock Des Moines, and promptly sold her. 

Pits not that I think the Buffalo is bad exactly (I got a 49% win rate with it, which is not horrible by my standard, when considering I’ve only had the ship a few days and just learned it). It’s just boring. 

Pensacola and New Orleans had permanent port slots and permanent cammo for me, because even with their problems (I ground through Pensacola before her buffs, and New Orleans before Radar), they are fun ships. It’s like, I hated them, but loved them too.

Tier 9 Baltimore was going to get a permanent place like that. I had a rough start with it, but began to enjoy its front-first, rapid-fire style. It had some big flaws, but some big strengths too. I might get back to it at tier 8 (not sure yet; the combination of facing tier 10s and not having the repair party or the ROF upgrade are scaring me off).

The Colorado is another ship which is much hated, and turns in poor numbers, but I learned to be good with, and gave a permanent home. 

The Buffalo, though, is generic, dull, and has nothing fun about it except the ability to mount tier 9 consumables and upgrades. Seriously, if you put it at tier 8 with the Baltimore, the Baltimore would be a better ship — they'd both have the same DPM on broadsides, but the Baltimore would do much more damage when using just two turrets. That ability to do so much more while angled or hiding most of the ship gave more opportunities for smart play in the Baltimore, and that made the ship fun. In comparison, the Buffalo is just another "good enough" cruiser that you grind through on your way to tier 10. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

Nola feels pretty good.  The two games I played in her, I didn't do well, but that was more of a product of the tactical situation than the ship.  Played a few Pensacola games, did well in her, but she's not very fun.  She's work to play.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

Finally got myself a good game situation on EU for the NOLA.  She performed quite well.  Much tougher than the Pensacola was, great guns, maneuverable, smaller target.  She's very nice.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,395 posts
10,195 battles

I'm loving that American AP on the new Pensacola. I couldn't be bothered to get to the NOLA before. I'm one of the few that just doesn't like the Cleveland. it's such a painful ship to play for me. But now that Pensacola is at tier 6 I can play that and I'm really enjoying the grind. Those American 203's feel much nicer than the Cleveland's 152's. 

Members
1,684 posts
8,050 battles
3 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Nola feels pretty good.  The two games I played in her, I didn't do well, but that was more of a product of the tactical situation than the ship.  Played a few Pensacola games, did well in her, but she's not very fun.  She's work to play.

Yeah. I did well in the original, pre-buff Pensacola, but hated it. The new Pensacola plays like that.

Im okay with the Pepsi's turrets, but the detection range finds new and interesting ways to screw me over. How my game is going to be really depends on the map, where I start, and whether or not any enemies rush forward to spot. Usually once I move into position it’s not so bad, but very often I’m the first ship spotted, and that is not fun. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

The turrets are the big deal for me.  I dance a lot, and now I can't keep them on target.  It's frustrating and un-fun.

[-TCS-]
Members
27 posts
3,177 battles

I've really enjoyed the Cleveland so far - had a nice regularity of 70-110k games and a crazy run of wins yesterday, and only pulled down my average when I tried to test the limits of her abilities (i.e. yolo tanking like you used to be able to do at T6). But she is certainly very sensitive to map RNG, needs plenty of cover to hide, and that combined with a bunch of people who don't know not to expose the broadside or even the angle due to overmatch means many people are going going to hate her. That being said, I haven't found encounters with higher tiers unpleasant - the damage potential increase and rainbow arcs make for some interesting positional opportunities - like sniping hiding BBs when they think they are safe. The consumables have thrown me off a little - the change in quick keys makes things a little complicated - and I can only imagine it'll take more getting use to once the heal is added for the Seattle and Worchester. I have noticed though these American cruiser heavy teams have been leading to massive wins/losses and very quick game ends when people play them badly. I've found Buffalo ok so far but haven't played too much of her, plan to over the next few days - I've been enjoying plenty of CL broadsides in my BBs to grind them.

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

Been loving the New Orleans and the Cleveland. The Pensacola was gone after a couple of games due to the horrible turret rotation.

I really like the New Orleans at tier 7 so far. Been playing her a lot these last couple of days. I like her better then the Pensacola at tier 7.

[MASSD]
Members
500 posts
29,306 battles

Its way too over matched at T8 . Too many uptiered games  It can't hold a candle to any T 10 ships period . add in It''s lost it's spotter planes at the cost of radar . It's too slow and accelerates horridly for this higher tier play .  Another ruined ship . Why can't they just leave ships alone and bring in a new ship . You can't expect a T6 ship armor to get moved to T8 and be worth a  plugged nickel  .  any BB hits are instant death . It is not fun to sit behind an island the entire game  because you get citted by any BB shot that hits you . It's gun range is pathetic  and even if increased the shots are so slow they are assured to miss at long range

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
16,178 battles

I've only played a handful of games in the Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore and Cleveland which I don't have full upgraded yet with the modules.

I like the Baltimore (13pt captain & new ship for me) and New Orleans 13pt captain which I owned before and at Tier 7 it's much better now I feel. The Cleveland so far is meh and Pensacola will probably sit in port most of the time (boring). Any BB can still citadel her easily. I placed my 12pt captain from Pensacola into the Cleveland and really want to work the Cleveland captain for IFHE next. Fully upgraded and with a 14pt captain I'll have a better idea on her. She's a ship that definitely has to hide behind island at Tier 8-10 with her lack of armor at that tier.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,151 posts
13,694 battles

Agree very much with your post 340man. I can't break 15K damage most games with new Cleve, so thought it best to try an old familiar ship, my Takao ARP, which I racked up 55K damage in. It was also a T8-10 battle. For a few days I thought it was me, but you have to play the Takao carefully like any other T8 cruiser in a T10 match.

[TDG]
Members
1,778 posts
11,189 battles

My first time out in the Tier 7 New Orleans was fantastic even in a loss.

I got 14 citadels and two kills.

I didn't do as well the second time out, but that is mostly my poor play.  I still beat up on a few red ships, but I gave to much side to Kongo at close range.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,304 battles

How Bad is the Pensacola - REALLY BAD

Turret rotation is a killer on this ship and has been hit hard and well by a giant Nerf bat.   Use all the upgrades and commander skills you want and those guns still rotate as if they are stuck in molasses.  Seriously, there are battleships which have better turret rotation than this ship. 

Pensacola used to be a hard hitting ship which had the speed and maneuverability to dodge like her life depended on it while still slinging shells back at the enemy.  Now, she can either dodge, or fire, not both which, with her almost non-existent armor, is kind of frustrating.  

New Orleans is a step up from the old T7 Pensecola  at Tier VII.  She loses her radar but she still retains her toughness and her guns which made her a servicable ship at T8 and now a fun ship at T7. 

Baltimore is much the same being an awfully good ship at T8.  No complaints at all here. 

Buffalo:  Am having a really good experience with this ship.  She seems tougher than Baltimore was at Tier IX and being able to put twelve shells on target is a lot of fun.   

Cleveland:  Sort of still on the fence with this one but it's mostly because I need to alter my play style with this ship more now that she's facing more dangerous threats.  I think she's going to do just fine once I get used to her but at the moment, not sure whether I'm really going to like her or if she'll just end up being a -meh- ship for me.