You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
n00bot

Worst Ranked Ever?

46 comments in this topic

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,629 battles

With another ranked season coming to a close, your thoughts on this season?

IMHO it was easily the least fun ever, with plenty of potatoes reaching Rank 10 and driving T10 ships.  I'm sure WG made money with wallet warriors paying to free XP a single T10 ship they've never played.  :Smile_sceptic: 

My favorite was the T6 season.  More of that, please.

• Cool 4

[WOLF3]
Members
24,789 posts
21,843 battles
19 minutes ago, n00bot said:

With another ranked season coming to a close, your thoughts on this season?

IMHO it was easily the least fun ever, with plenty of potatoes reaching Rank 10 and driving T10 ships.  I'm sure WG made money with wallet warriors paying to free XP a single T10 ship they've never played.  :Smile_sceptic: 

My favorite was the T6 season.  More of that, please.

I don't do much Ranked, but I have friends that do.  They always have said that the best time for Ranked is early on when the better players are powering through the levels.  More competence is out there.  They also say that if you take too long, or wait too long to work on Ranked, that eventually even the Potatoes are in the upper levels.  And that is what you'll be surrounded with.

This has been a regular thing.  Tier VI, VII, VIII, whatever, it's been the same story.

• Cool 1

Members
1,684 posts
8,055 battles

I’m not a fan of tier 10. This has been the worst season for me just because of that. 

I think I had the most fun playing the Kongō in the tier 5-6 part of the first ranked season. I had the Fuso and New Mexico, but that was one case where the lower tier boat has some distinct advantages. 

The most balanced and competitive season was at tier 6. Nothing at that tier was total junk, there was some variety in play style, and it was fun overall. 

I would think tier 7 would be great, except the Belfast is in that tier. By itself that ship stops me from ever wanting ranked in that tier again, but the other radars were all on pay ships too, which was crummy. 

[RKLES]
Members
11,788 posts
13,378 battles

I am just beefing up my ships in tiers 5-7, if Ranked goes to one of those tiers I will be ready and willing to participate.

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles

I had fun at the start of ranked, took a week off, and it deteriorated. I called it quits at 13; could of done better but was mostly lack of interest.

I'd like to see it at much lower tier next time: tier 5? Then move to tier 7, and ranking out goes to tier 9 perhaps.

[AAA]
Members
509 posts
9,024 battles

I took some 450 games to rank out but for me it was not a grind at all. I had lots of fun playing and most importantly learning looking at what others were doing. I played so much with my Hindy that I think I can handle that ship reasonably well. I would always wonder how people would do 100k+ damages in a Hindy in randoms but now I am doing 150K+ damages in every other matches (209k damage in my Hindy was the highest in rank and I battled with 2 unicum BBs alone to snatch victory). 

Tier 10 is the most unforgiving tier and mistakes would be punished which itself teaches a lot about positioning and other nuances. 

Edited by sansfaille
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts

They need to rethink how they execute ranked. I played 33 battles to get to rank 11, where I stopped for two reasons; I got sick of looking at the same two maps (yes I know there was another, but it seemed like I never saw it), and frankly, the effort outweighs the rewards after 11. You have to win more and more battles for little gain. One last point; the tier 10 segment was a poorly thought out implementation. I know of two fellow clan members who hit rank 10 and were done because they had not ground out a tier 10 ship yet. It does not take skill to get to tier 10, but it does take time, and arbitrarily excluding players just because they haven't maxed out the tech tree seems to be a good way to alienate players for no reason.

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

I stopped at 10. I have T10 ships, but the rewards scale backwards as one progresses, and the salt increases. The reports flow like wine/whine.

It is always fun at he lower ranks when the rewards are decent. 

I would suggest scaling rewards better, putting an irrevocable at Rank 5, and keeping the T10s out entirely.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
832 posts
24,906 battles

If they were looking for tier 10 burnout...Ranked, King of the Seas, and Clan Battles all played at tier 10.  After a while, it gets old...even for try hards such as me.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles

What would be fun and different would be a LOW tier Ranked season. Everyone could play, and there are less gimmicks at lower tiers. Lets look at 2, 3, or 4 for the next season, and just go bat-crap crazy with it! (with 4 you get carriers!)

Members
1,684 posts
8,055 battles
9 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

If they were looking for tier 10 burnout...Ranked, King of the Seas, and Clan Battles all played at tier 10.  After a while, it gets old...even for try hards such as me.

To be fair, their business needs players grinding to 10, and then buying flags, permanent cammo, and cash machine premiums to afford playing at tier 10. WG is going to do everything they can to make players want to reach tier 10.

The problem is that tier 10 is really not much fun. 

Members
1,684 posts
8,055 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

What would be fun and different would be a LOW tier Ranked season. Everyone could play, and there are less gimmicks at lower tiers. Lets look at 2, 3, or 4 for the next season, and just go bat-crap crazy with it! (with 4 you get carriers!)

The low tier have a bunch of really imbalanced ships though. Tier 5 seems to be about the lowest where things are kinda balanced. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
5 minutes ago, inktomi19d said:

The low tier have a bunch of really imbalanced ships though. Tier 5 seems to be about the lowest where things are kinda balanced. 

I have to say my opinion radically differs from yours. I actually enjoy the lower tiers because they seem, to me, to be MORE balanced than the higher tiers. Tier 4 especially seems to be very well balanced; which is why I recommend it for Ranked.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,319 posts
13,706 battles

The last T8 ranked was a disaster. I could barely rank up with all my team mate who decided that attacking one by one 7 ship is a good idea.

This season, I didn't even played in ranked, because of the reason mention above but when I saw how bad T10 ranked were, I just think no matter what tier the next ranked will be, it will be bad or even worst. I mean, if those potato managed to make their way to T10, it basically means they have a ship for every futur ranked season. 

Anyway I'm just waiting for Clan Battle. Even if we don't always win, at least I can say we won because we had a better game than the red team or lost because the red team was better than us. 

Personnally my favorite tier for ranked are T8 and T6. Both tier have balanced ship with clear strenght and weaknesses

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[SYN]
Members
336 posts
14,038 battles

First time I ever ranked out, so not the worst as far as I'm concerned :D

Honestly, the tier isn't gonna change anything.  The problems with ranked are the players.  Half are elitist snobs, half have an unrealistic assessment of their own abilities (these halves overlap quite a bit) and they blame everyone else for losses.

No matter what WG does these individuals will continue to be toxic and complain about structure.  If you want a good competitive game, play Clan Battles where those people can be excluded (from your team at least).

[R-R-R]
Members
1,038 posts
9,687 battles

I am missing T8 now.

Clan war is T10. KotS is T10. Now ranked is also T10. It gets old pretty fast.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
882 posts
15,534 battles
41 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I have to say my opinion radically differs from yours. I actually enjoy the lower tiers because they seem, to me, to be MORE balanced than the higher tiers. Tier 4 especially seems to be very well balanced; which is why I recommend it for Ranked.

I too would like a low tier ranked next season. It only took me twenty something games to reach rank 10 and then I lost interest. I would however point out that there's quite a few unbalanced low tier premiums floating around (looking at you Nikolai) that could completely unbalance a match. Also, with low tiers come lower experience levels. This obviously means newer players wandering into matches where they would be at a huge disadvantage. I would really like to see the low tier ranked season regardless but everyone better bring a gallon jug of water because dehydration due to salt poisoning will be a common issue.  

[DKM]
[DKM]
Members
139 posts
19,004 battles

best tiers are 8 and 10. all other tiers are unbalanced like hell and not really enjoyable in ranked

Members
61 posts
14,687 battles

Going in, I had low expectations for this season, because I didn't think Tier X was a good tier for Ranked Battles.  Yet it turned out to be my best season yet, and I ranked out in 193 battles.  To mimimize the frustration, I only played enough games to get two stars, and then I stopped whether it was only two games or over 20.  Seemed to reduce the stress a lot for me.

Going forward, I would like to see a Tier V season. I'm itching to take out my Kamikaze in ranked.

[EQRN]
Members
1,828 posts
15,223 battles

Doesn’t every season have a post or two claiming it’s the worst ever?  Meaning, don’t fret over this one, next will be even worse!

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
957 posts
8,975 battles

Complains about potatoes....Asks for T6 MM back O_o I guess we played in a different reality because my memories of naked Fusos being one-shotted are quite fresh...

Members
344 posts
3,713 battles

Made it ( I mean was carried ? ) to 13. I had some great times sprinkling pepper on my cheesy potatoes (didn't need any salt) :Smile_medal:

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,629 battles
1 hour ago, HeathenForay said:

Complains about potatoes....Asks for T6 MM back O_o I guess we played in a different reality because my memories of naked Fusos being one-shotted are quite fresh...

Ship tier and potato ratio don’t necessarily coincide. The potato factor is more about where they set the matchmaking and irrevocable thresholds.  The tier choice is about ship balance and “sharpness”  In this season’s case, the combination of high potato factor and T10 meant that any weaknesses on the team were quickly and brutally exposed, making it harder for other players to carry and recover the game.  So many games were more about who had fewer early deaths rather than who had better play overall play during the whole game.  T6 is more forgiving and somewhat mitigates the potato factor.  (I was the potato in the T6 season!  This season I stopped at R5, knowing my limits.)

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,713 posts
12,159 battles
6 hours ago, Umikami said:

Clemson

I have a 65% solo winrate in mine. It's still balanced around meeting T6 ships, which it doesn't see anymore. Clevelands were a mere anoyance to a well played Clemson.