You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RinzlerCobra

Top Gun 2!

63 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
6,151 posts
3,029 battles

I cannot find a reason to make this movie outside of turning a quick buck without having to put in any effort whatsoever.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,835 posts
13,603 battles
5 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

I cannot find a reason to make this movie outside of turning a quick buck without having to put in any effort whatsoever.

This and with the modern penchant for lots of explosions and zero plot it would be in and out of the theaters in record time.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

All I know is that Top Gun 1 was an utter fictional piece of crap ( as bad as the last movie bout Pearl Harbor) and anyone who has flown jets in combat barfed if they saw it....and I know several  fighter pilots going back to WWII. They do not SCREAM over their radio like 10 year olds. That is just 1 thing.  There are many other things that were utter crap in that first one. I do mean utter dung. Ok...it's Hollywood. :Smile_sceptic:

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,698 posts

Only plot I can think of for this is proving that pilots are still better than drones. It's nice to see they're using F-18s though, it's the only way around the F-14 being retired and the F-22 being vastly overused in Hollywood these days

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles

Obviously there are flashbacks going on, and I don't mean just the song.  Reminds me of Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now.

That said, it is a good song, and I really love the Tomcat.  Sure wish they could bring the air frame back with new avionics and weapons packages. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,835 posts
13,603 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

All I know is that Top Gun 1 was an utter fictional piece of crap ( as bad as the last movie bout Pearl Harbor) and anyone who has flown jets in combat barfed if they saw it....and I know several  fighter pilots going back to WWII. They do not SCREAM over their radio like 10 year olds. That is just 1 thing.  There are many other things that were utter crap in that first one. I do mean utter dung. Ok...it's Hollywood. :Smile_sceptic:

This, if you want real fighter pilot combat chat watch Dunkirk.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles
7 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

the F-22 being vastly overused in Hollywood these days

F-22 is a Air Force plane.  It would have to be the F-35C (which I don't like) or the F/A-18D/E (which I don't like).  Neither is an air superiority fighter.  The Navy seems to think that they can get away without having one...

Much like they thought the F-4 could get away without having a gun.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,698 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Obviously there are flashbacks going on, and I don't mean just the song.  Reminds me of Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now.

That said, it is a good song, and I really love the Tomcat.  Sure wish they could bring the air frame back with new avionics and weapons packages.

What it needs is new engines, here's a video of an F-14 on takeoff

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,835 posts
13,603 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

That looks more like an F4.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles

Yep.  It could use new engines, though I'm not sure if there's anything on the shelf now that would fit it.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, if you want real fighter pilot combat chat watch Dunkirk.

Yup. Or you can go to youtube and watch the last mission of the B-17 Memphis Belle which had a camera man abroad and SOUND. 1943.  Real!  Clam, cool, collected...even as the 190's an 109's were coming in and blowing their buddies out of the sky. 

Edited by dmckay

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,698 posts
Just now, iDuckman said:

Yep.  It could use new engines, though I'm not sure if there's anything on the shelf now that would fit it.

Yeah it would be cheaper to develop a whole new aircraft than to retrofit existing ones. Plus you guys have to justify the insane costs of the F-35 by pressing it into service in as many roles as possible. Problem there is you've put all your eggs in one basket, but that's a tale for another thread. Having flown in a CF-18, they're not bad aircraft, plenty manoeuvrable, fast enough for any engagement that isn't against a major superpower (which let's be honest here, this film isn't going to involve Cold War tension, it's going to be North Korea, or Middle-East, so the best we'll get is a MiG-29, easily a match for an F-18 in a dogfight and wouldn't be a short 5-second duel of lock-on-from-100km-away-and-fire)

• Cool 2

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,698 posts
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Yup. Or you can got to youtube and watch the last mission of the B-17 Memphis Belle which had a camera man abroad and SOUND. 1943.  Real!  Clam, cool, collected...even as the 190's an 109's were coming in and blowing their buddies out of the sky. 

Man I could tell you stories about that plane   xD   I actually knew the pilot quite well before he died, Col. Morgan was a major influence on my childhood

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,835 posts
13,603 battles

Yup. Or you can got to youtube and watch the last mission of the B-17 Memphis Belle which had a camera man abroad and SOUND. 1943.  Real!  Clam, cool, collected...even as the 190's an 109's were coming in and blowing their buddies out of the sky. 

I chose Dunkirk because I finally got around to seeing it, amazing move with less talking by the actors in the entire movie than most movies have in the first 15 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Yeah it would be cheaper to develop a whole new aircraft than to retrofit existing ones. Plus you guys have to justify the insane costs of the F-35 by pressing it into service in as many roles as possible. Problem there is you've put all your eggs in one basket, but that's a tale for another thread. Having flown in a CF-18, they're not bad aircraft, plenty manoeuvrable, fast enough for any engagement that isn't against a major superpower (which let's be honest here, this film isn't going to involve Cold War tension, it's going to be North Korea, or Middle-East, so the best we'll get is a MiG-29, easily a match for an F-18 in a dogfight and wouldn't be a short 5-second duel of lock-on-from-100km-away-and-fire)

The F14 is an artifact from the cold war and doesn't really have  a role in the modern world. Now if you want to restart production of a plane get the lines rolling again on the A10.

f-35-song-people-meme_575.jpg

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Man I could tell you stories about that plane   xD   I actually knew the pilot quite well before he died, Col. Morgan was a major influence on my childhood

Cool.  She is now restored and is at The Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson air base in Dayton Ohio which is only bout 40 min from where I live. She is now on display beside Shoo Shoo Baby. Flyable but I don't think they will do that.  Took bout 5 years to restore her.

Edited by dmckay

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,698 posts
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

"That plane was an artefact of the Cold War, you know what we need? An artefact from the Cold War~!"   xD

I don't deny that the A-10 is a damn good plane and one of the few things America got right when it comes to aviation tech that lasts, but you need something new, an A-10 2.0, made with modern materials but still with the same overall plan: A plane that is a tank with minimal digital controls. The key to the A-10's survivability is it's analogue controls and backups. You can't just slap new avionics into it and restart with the same blueprint. But you could easily save weight by using newer materials and contruction methods while keeping everything that made it good. Just instead of plastic here or aluminium there, use carbon fiber, etc

Cool.  She is now restored and is at The Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson air base in Dayton Ohio which is only bout 40 min from where I live. She is now on display beside Shoo Shoo Baby. Flyable but I don't think they will do that.  Took bout 5 years to restore her.

I was present for the overhaul of the one from the movie, they stripped her down and rebuilt her over at Brantford Airport, Ontario. I was basically the errand -boy helping out the guys around the hanger. Also hosted the tours through the plane~
They gave me the old supercharger assemblies from the inboard engines   :D   One I donated to Hamilton Warplane Heritage Museum, the other is stowed back at my farm. Want it? I can't sell it cheap but I'd gladly see it in the hands of a collector since I really can't hold onto it, not enough room in my tiny apartment

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Plus you guys have to justify the insane costs of the F-35 by pressing it into service in as many roles as possible.

One of several reasons I don't like the C model.  'Proceedings' was full of articles from naval aviators going on about how questionable it would be in the naval role.  USN was forced to go along with the acquisition, though.

You would have thought the DoD would have learned their lesson from the F-111 debacle, and again from the F-4 "success", where no service got the plane they really wanted/needed.  F-4 did "okay" but did not excel at much of anything. 

2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The F14 is an artifact from the cold war and doesn't really have  a role in the modern world. Now if you want to restart production of a plane get the lines rolling again on the A10.

Yep.  But it had range, speed, a monster radar (obsolete now, of course), and could carry a crap-ton of ordnance.  E.g. replace the Phoenix with a bundle of little missile for drone swarm interdiction, or even ground attack. 

Totally YES on the A-10.  Possibly my all-time favorite plane.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
15 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Much like they thought the F-4 could get away without having a gun.

Yeah, that WAS hilarious .. for everyone except the pilot.

13 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That looks more like an F4.

A plane that had all the flight characteristics of a brick, but with the most powerful jet engines they could cram into it. Literally proof positive that even a barn door can fly with enough thrust.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

"That plane was an artefact of the Cold War, you know what we need? An artefact from the Cold War~!"   xD

I don't deny that the A-10 is a damn good plane and one of the few things America got right when it comes to aviation tech that lasts, but you need something new, an A-10 2.0, made with modern materials but still with the same overall plan: A plane that is a tank with minimal digital controls. The key to the A-10's survivability is it's analogue controls and backups. You can't just slap new avionics into it and restart with the same blueprint. But you could easily save weight by using newer materials and contruction methods while keeping everything that made it good. Just instead of plastic here or aluminium there, use carbon fiber, etc

I am old.  I remember when they were going to retire her and then the Gulf Wars came along and she did her duty.  Bad azz plane.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

I am old.  I remember when they were going to retire her and then the Gulf Wars came along and she did her duty.  Bad azz plane.

Every year the Air Force submits a plan to retire the A-10.  Every year Congress (influenced, no doubt, by the Army) refuses to do so and funds its continued use.  Maybe we need a new Army Air Force.

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Yeah, that WAS hilarious .. for everyone except the pilot.

A plane that had all the flight characteristics of a brick, but with the most powerful jet engines they could cram into it. Literally proof positive that even a barn door can fly with enough thrust.

Buddy of mine from High School flew the F-4 in Nam.  Hell he told me the Mig 15 (Korean era) could out turn it but if ya go in trouble ya just punched after burner and bye bye Mig.   I never flew in combat...just relating stories from old buddies.  I knew several WWII fighter pilots growing up in the 50's.  One taught me how to fly.  I puked a lot going up with him as a kid!  He had flown P-47 and P-51 in Europe. Liked the Jug best!  No kidding. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles

Buddy of mine from High School flew the F-4 in Nam.  Hell he told me the Mig 15 (Korean era) could out turn it but if ya go in trouble ya just punched after burner and bye bye Mig.   I never flew in combat...just relating stories from old buddies.  I knew several WWII fighter pilots growing up in the 50's.  One taught me how to fly.  I puked a lot going up with him as a kid!  He had flown P-47 and P-51 in Europe. Liked the Jug best!  No kidding. 

F-4 was a great plane, tough as a fighter can be and capable of carrying an absolutely incredible amount of ordinance; just not overly maneuverable. Ask your pilot friend about her unpowered glide characteristics; like if she lost engine power. But it had inordinately overpowered engines that could drive it home with what must have seemed like fatal damage to the airframe. And it could shake off a serious hit relatively well. But much more rugged, like a B-17 or an A-10 and not an F-14 or F-18; or even an F-5, one of it's contemporaries.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

F-4 was a great plane, tough as a fighter can be and capable of carrying an absolutely incredible amount of ordinance; just not overly maneuverable. Ask your pilot friend about her unpowered glide characteristics; like if she lost engine power. But it had inordinately overpowered engines that could drive it home with what must have seemed like fatal damage to the airframe. And it could shake off a serious hit relatively well. But much more rugged, like a B-17 or an A-10 and not an F-14 or F-18; or even an F-5, one of it's contemporaries.

Indeed. My high school buddy loved that plane. He flew it after they finally decided to give her a gun. I have lost track of him.  Do not know where he is now or if he is still alive. He also saw and fought some Mig-21's when he was in Vietnam. Have not seen him in over 20 years.

Edited by dmckay

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
39 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Yup. Or you can go to youtube and watch the last mission of the B-17 Memphis Belle which had a camera man abroad and SOUND. 1943.  Real!  Clam, cool, collected...even as the 190's an 109's were coming in and blowing their buddies out of the sky. 

I cant speak for US aircraft but I know British and Commonwealth bomber crews were warned to stay calm because their message would get garbled through the intercom when they were calling out enemy fighters on approach.