Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Formidable

Lets rename WoWs "Hide and Seek"

40 comments in this topic

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,232 battles

That's been my gameplay experience lately. Everybody hides.

Battleships snuggled up against islands they can't shoot over. Cruisers cuddling up to every rock they can find. Destroyers wondering what the hell they can do with no support at any level. The only things moving are aircraft...

It's far worse than "World of Tanks on a Lake"

It's now "Hide and Seek", pure and simple.

Bring back the Open Ocean map at all tiers ... It'll teach these gutless wonders what real naval combat was about.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

[SYN]
Members
15,617 posts
12,778 battles

If your DD was doing its job, everything will be spotted on the map

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

What tire U play?  HUGE difference in tiers as to fun action.

Edited by dmckay

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I play low and mid tiers for a reason.  I agree Ocean needs to make a return.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Another vote for ocean. It does not matter if the DDs spot as you cant shoot what is spotted if you will not leave spawn or hide the entire game. I have seen this all the way from tier 5 to 10 it is crazy!

If you want to have fun play tier 4 or lower. Clemson is getting a work out for a couple weeks I guess.

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
3 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Ocean!  OK.  Some felt it was boring but it was realistic to a degree. Took thought to win 

OMG...NO place to hide!! :Smile_honoring:

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
Just now, xXxRCADDICT said:

Another vote for ocean. It does not matter if the DDs spot as you cant shoot what is spotted if you will not leave spawn or hide the entire game. I have seen this all the way from tier 5 to 10 it is crazy!

If you want to have fun play tier 4 or lower. Clemson is getting a work out for a couple weeks I guess.

Ya.  Crazy fun. I mean that positive if ya just want to have a hell of a good time. They really FIGHT a LOT. 

[WOLF4]
Members
276 posts
15,853 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

If your DD was doing its job, everything will be spotted on the map

spot all the radar ships and now there is more of them. It is getting to the point why not have all ships have radar at tier 7 and above then everyone can see everything and thru islands. heck make it 20 k radar

• Cool 2

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Ya.  Crazy fun. I mean that positive if ya just want to have a hell of a good time. They really FIGHT a LOT. 

Why play if it is not fun? Don't get me wrong I like high tier play normally, lately though it has been horrible especially with the influx of the new cruisers. You have quite a few new players that had just unlocked Cleveland now with a new shiny tier 8 for free. That is how it appears at this point anyway.....

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I've been seeing a lot of Clevelands in ranked tonight on my alt account.  They are awful.  I dont think it's the players, the ships simply are not very good.

Members
2,255 posts

Most people don't know what ship their playing is capable of. So they play safe.

I don't care to much... Unless they start dropping like flies then it ticks me off. It's like really? 4 reds kill 8 greens? Break out the negative karma bat.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles
2 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I've been seeing a lot of Clevelands in ranked tonight on my alt account.  They are awful.  I dont think it's the players, the ships simply are not very good.

I have seen a few do well in randoms. I think the problem right now is that ship was pretty "tanky" at tier 6 but, at tier 8 it cant be played that way.

[PT]
Members
738 posts
2,639 battles

Ocean should come back, it's silly piloting big Battleships around tiny islands, these things would be completely beached in real life.. 

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
12 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

I have seen a few do well in randoms. I think the problem right now is that ship was pretty "tanky" at tier 6 but, at tier 8 it cant be played that way.

Cleve could be a very dominant cruiser at tier 6. All has changed .Naturally I could be wrong. I was wrong once.  I think it was like May 1967. :Smile_glasses:

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
2 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Ocean should come back, it's silly piloting big Battleships around tiny islands, these things would be completely beached in real life.. 

Well yes and no.  See....Battles of the Solomon Islands....1942-43.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles
17 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

what I am seeing is they can't hit anything.  I was dancing around them in my Takao at 11km, and felt bad when they managed to land a hit or two.

[TDRB]
Members
4,262 posts
12,292 battles

I also saw Clevelands do well in randoms Wednesday night. It will take a few battle for many of us to learn the differences between the T6 & T8 Cleveland in battle.

[SBS]
Members
5,193 posts
2,408 battles
11 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Its the players.  I played ranked tonight and I kept expecting support from my radar Clevelands.  I'll watch the a/b cap start to turn expecting radar and my radar is who knows where.  What a mess.

[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
51 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I see Ocean more than I used to a few months back (which was not at all).  But I wish that it was about as common as other high tier maps.

That said, with ships like the RN CLs and the upcoming USN CLs, life would be murder for them on the Ocean map.  One can say that they need to hide, but I wouldn't say that it's that exactly.  Having islands around gives short ranged CL guns a way to mask their approach and get closer to the enemy.  And yes, sometimes have some hard cover from which to either hide behind, or use to limit their exposure to the enemy.  It might be harder on the USN CLs than the RN ones simply due to a lack of smoke.  RN CLs with their combo of excellent concealment and smoke can get fairly close to enemy heavies and be able to engage them with some hope of success.  But what hope does a USN CL have with no smoke and their floaty, short ranged guns?

I don't want to be the party pooper for the Ocean map, because I personally love it.  But it's also a terrible map for cruisers, particularly those with shorter ranged guns.  And worse in a way, it truly stinks for tier 8 cruisers since as a high tier map, I think that it only gets picked for tier 9 and 10 battles, tier 8 cruisers never get to be top tier on Ocean.

Seriously, I don't get why Ocean is a high tier map.  I can see why it shouldn't be a low tier map, simply due to its relatively large-ish size.  But there's no reason at all why Ocean couldn't be a mid tier map.  It's not so big that tiers 5 or greater ships couldn't handle it.

Members
627 posts
699 battles

All the island humping is why I'm a proponent of Ocean Epicenter, and hold that it should be cycled through each players client every fifth battle.

Edited by Highlord
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I used to really hate OCEAN...... Not anymore...... Epicentre would be Ideal with that map.

The only thing I don't get is all my battles the BB's are up front and the DD's are hiding... Must be the RADAR.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I see Ocean more than I used to a few months back (which was not at all).  But I wish that it was about as common as other high tier maps.

That said, with ships like the RN CLs and the upcoming USN CLs, life would be murder for them on the Ocean map.  One can say that they need to hide, but I wouldn't say that it's that exactly.  Having islands around gives short ranged CL guns a way to mask their approach and get closer to the enemy.  And yes, sometimes have some hard cover from which to either hide behind, or use to limit their exposure to the enemy.  It might be harder on the USN CLs than the RN ones simply due to a lack of smoke.  RN CLs with their combo of excellent concealment and smoke can get fairly close to enemy heavies and be able to engage them with some hope of success.  But what hope does a USN CL have with no smoke and their floaty, short ranged guns?

I don't want to be the party pooper for the Ocean map, because I personally love it.  But it's also a terrible map for cruisers, particularly those with shorter ranged guns.  And worse in a way, it truly stinks for tier 8 cruisers since as a high tier map, I think that it only gets picked for tier 9 and 10 battles, tier 8 cruisers never get to be top tier on Ocean.

Seriously, I don't get why Ocean is a high tier map.  I can see why it shouldn't be a low tier map, simply due to its relatively large-ish size.  But there's no reason at all why Ocean couldn't be a mid tier map.  It's not so big that tiers 5 or greater ships couldn't handle it.

Maybe they should fix the facts that entire lines of ships should be island humpers.  That's OK for premiums, it should not be a thing for tech tree ships.

[RKLES]
Members
11,803 posts
13,398 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

Yeah lol my tier 8s still slice up those Clevelands quite nicely same as before.

Members
3,248 posts
4,322 battles
2 hours ago, Highlord said:

All the island humping is why I'm a proponent of Ocean Epicenter, and hold that it should be cycled through each players client every fifth battle.

You should edit that to notify every CC/dev on these forums.

[PT]
Members
738 posts
2,639 battles

Not much initiative to play tier 8 BBs atm, spending most of the game getting hunted... 

Jumping back into my lower tier DDs is a lot more fun. 

Sign in to follow this