Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JesusGuidesMe

How you play cruisers?

12 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
475 battles

I'm a new player and only have 174 random battles. I've played every ship type, but right now I want to figure out what cruiser line to go down. This is my first post so hello guys and gals!

I just played 3 games in my tier 3 Caledon British Cruiser and managed to get over 40k damage each game. The last game I played was crazy. I did 69755 damage and practically sunk two battleships at close range with torps and I didn't get hit once the entire game. (I survived with my full hp without using the damage repair tool). In the game I also sunk a friendly battleship that was literally 0.5km away from the enemy battleship and he only had 1200 HP left so now I'm pink, oh well :P I was also a tier 3 ship in a tier 3-4 match so I think I did pretty good.

I'm guessing you can't abuse battleships like this in later tiers (tier 3 and 4 battleships are pretty weak I think). I usually focus on guns (starting fires or getting citadels), but the enemy was too vulnerable for me to not unload all my torps on them.

So, here is my question. How do you play cruisers and does it work for you? Here is a picture of the game I mentioned earlier, cheers :D

Spoiler

shot-18_05.31_20_39.49-0385.thumb.jpg.fb57da1a74bf64058f78d09428b708ea.jpg

Edited by JesusGuidesMe

[WOLF3]
Members
2,135 posts
4,427 battles

For a new player you sure seem to know lots of things right out. Taking screenshots, linking them with reveal tags. You talk like someone who knows the forums here. Picking decent bait for a topic with only one post history...

Smells like Smurf.

73b.jpg

Members
9 posts
475 battles
4 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

For a new player you sure seem to know lots of things right out. Taking screenshots, linking them with reveal tags. You talk like someone who knows the forums here. Picking decent bait for a topic with only one post history...

Smells like Smurf.

I read the forums like everyday so I try to get as much information as I can, I also watch a lot of videos (The youtuber Notser makes really good videos IMO defiantly worth watching). As for taking screenshots on windows it is always (control + alt + Prnt Scrn) and the reveal tag is just like any other forum, but I appreciate the compliment non the less :D

Do you have a favorite cruiser line?

[WOLFB]
Members
3,320 posts
13,716 battles

Depends on the nation. I don't play my IJN cruiser the same way I play my French or German cruiser.

Since you mention Caledon, I guess you're talking about RN cruiser. For RN, what I do in general is staying near a DD, waiting for him to spot ship then smoke up and shoot. Torps are good if someone rushes you and hydro prevent you from being torped. RN AP are really consitent as long as you aim the superstructure against angled target or upper belt against  broadside BB; Against cruiser, aim for the citadel when broadside will always work.

[WOLF3]
Members
2,135 posts
4,427 battles
1 minute ago, JesusGuidesMe said:

I read the forums like everyday so I try to get as much information as I can, I also watch a lot of videos (The youtuber Notser makes really good videos IMO defiantly worth watching). As for taking screenshots on windows it is always (control + alt + Prnt Scrn) and the reveal tag is just like any other forum, but I appreciate the compliment non the less :D

Do you have a favorite cruiser line?

I love my Fiji. So i suppose RN line.

Cleveland was my first love but its different now. She's not the same ship i got into the relationship with ;)

• Cool 1

Members
689 posts
7,037 battles
26 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Smells like Smurf.

I swear I have no idea where you guys get this stuff. He's played 293 battles, including over 100 in co-op! What kind of smurf would do that to himself!?

To answer the OP, I would divide cruisers into two camps: kiters are hiders.

The former (French, Russian, German, Japanese, most American cruisers) rely on distance to stay alive. They stay at long range, using speed, concealment and turning to always be just under the top of the enemy's target list, all the while using their high DPM to burn what needs burning and eventually pushing in to provide anti-DD screening for the team once the enemy BBs have been neutralised. Here, good micro (turning at the right times, good aim) and good awareness of what your team is doing is key. You want to coordinate fire with your BB teammates and be ready to push when they need you.

The latter type of cruiser include the desMoines, new USN cruiser line and Royal Navy cruisers. These rely on remaining unspotted to stay alive (either by using islands or smoke) and typically are way closer to caps. They often act as anti-DD measures from the very beginning, and are given the tools to do incredible damage to DDs or careless BBs/CAs that show broadside. The key to using these ships is positioning; the task is to kill enemy DDs while enemy BBs are still alive and active in the area, and death is often a matter of being just a few hundred meters off-point.

For RN CLs in particular, I've found that they can perform extremely well, as long as they are close to the enemy while simultaneously never being pushed directly. The reason for this is twofold: first, they are restricted to AP, so in terms of attack they are extremely reliant on seeing the enemy's broadside. Second, if enemy BBs make a concerted effort to push your smoke, they will eventually get you unless you have a very carefully planned exit strategy. I therefore like to sail into the middle of the map, staying close to islands and waiting until the main enemy push has been identified. I then position myself perpendicular to that push, so that as they move forward the enemy is given the choice of showing broadside to either me or the rest of my team, and so that even though they may be pushing forward, relative to me they stay at roughly the same distance. Prioritise DDs within 11km, then CA/CLs showing broadside within 13km, then BBs, then the rest.

EDIT: Note that this play style only really becomes available once you have smoke. Before that, I'd suggest using islands like a DM to stay alive while supporting caps and killing DDs.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
2,135 posts
4,427 battles
11 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

I swear I have no idea where you guys get this stuff. He's played 293 battles, including over 100 in co-op! What kind of smurf would do that to himself!?

People do all sorts of weird crap to bait people on threads here ALL THE TIME.

Most people that post here acknowledge this. Even the OP.

[HINON]
Members
12,680 posts

Play some of the cruiser lines to t6 and see which ones have play styles you like. Then you will know which ones you want to invest more time in.

Members
623 posts
8,795 battles
1 hour ago, senseNOTmade said:

To answer the OP, I would divide cruisers into two camps: kiters are hiders.

The former (French, Russian, German, Japanese, most American cruisers) rely on distance to stay alive. They stay at long range, using speed, concealment and turning to always be just under the top of the enemy's target list, all the while using their high DPM to burn what needs burning and eventually pushing in to provide anti-DD screening for the team once the enemy BBs have been neutralised. Here, good micro (turning at the right times, good aim) and good awareness of what your team is doing is key. You want to coordinate fire with your BB teammates and be ready to push when they need you.

The latter type of cruiser include the desMoines, new USN cruiser line and Royal Navy cruisers. These rely on remaining unspotted to stay alive (either by using islands or smoke) and typically are way closer to caps. They often act as anti-DD measures from the very beginning, and are given the tools to do incredible damage to DDs or careless BBs/CAs that show broadside. The key to using these ships is positioning; the task is to kill enemy DDs while enemy BBs are still alive and active in the area, and death is often a matter of being just a few hundred meters off-point.

For RN CLs in particular, I've found that they can perform extremely well, as long as they are close to the enemy while simultaneously never being pushed directly. The reason for this is twofold: first, they are restricted to AP, so in terms of attack they are extremely reliant on seeing the enemy's broadside. Second, if enemy BBs make a concerted effort to push your smoke, they will eventually get you unless you have a very carefully planned exit strategy. I therefore like to sail into the middle of the map, staying close to islands and waiting until the main enemy push has been identified. I then position myself perpendicular to that push, so that as they move forward the enemy is given the choice of showing broadside to either me or the rest of my team, and so that even though they may be pushing forward, relative to me they stay at roughly the same distance. Prioritise DDs within 11km, then CA/CLs showing broadside within 13km, then BBs, then the rest.

EDIT: Note that this play style only really becomes available once you have smoke. Before that, I'd suggest using islands like a DM to stay alive while supporting caps and killing DDs.

Good post.

For the OP I would add that the most important priority/skill for cruisers is ensuring your own survival. Enemy BBs can delete you in one or two salvos, so always be mindful of your positioning and exposing broadsides, and knowing how to kite effectively, WSAD, and use islands and concealment will help you avoid devastating strikes from BBs.

That and focus fire DDs when they pop up. They should always be priority target #1 when spotted.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts

Stay at range, spam HE. Run and hang back. Increase and decrease your speed to avoid shells. You get no heal upto tier 9 so conserve your health. Mid tier cruisers are so [edited] up that it doesn't matter whether u show full broadside or not, you will be citadeled from all angle. This is for non RN cruisers.

For RN cruisers, get premium smoke, hydro, heal and repair. Get close to a cap and make sure u support a non IJN DD trying to cap cuz IJN DDs always run when they are detected. You usually need a DD who is spotting the enemy otherwise you will be sitting duck inside your smoke and you never know when a DD creeps near your spotting range and you can get nuked from enemy BBs. Always run hydro when sitting inside smoke cuz smoke is a torp magnet. In a single line for Royal navy cruisers - "you get spotted, you get [edited]!!!"

Just because you got some torp hits on a BB doesn't mean you should yolo. Yoloing is very bad for team play even though it is fun.

crapstarts to change after tier 8 so get there first.

Members
689 posts
7,037 battles
9 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Dying to know: what's a smurf?  Is it an Ellen Barkin character?   

:cap_yes:

I think it's a term from CS:GO. It's when an experienced player creates a new account so he can get into the lower ranks of their competitive matchmaker and beat up on new players. Frankly, I think it's often used as an excuse whenever someone on the enemy team performs well.

Sign in to follow this