You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
commodore_torakula

My visit to the USS Iowa BB-61

5 comments in this topic

Members
1,570 posts
11,119 battles

iowa18.thumb.jpg.88cd83cb6a38c94e926d0e5bf0228808.jpg....welloh man like a complete noob I effed up and put this in the wrong category.....pls forgive that.......anyhows:   farewell to the Iowa and if you visit too I hope you get your $20+parking worth!.....I know I sure did.....(I also started at the end to be quixotic....)iowabusinessend.thumb.jpg.af6bff2954b35b7b6921c1b8b5d4138d.jpg....the business end.iowaside.thumb.jpg.a2d9f116ffa04b688f9e6f96e7d779e0.jpg....................................arriving near Port's O'call in sunny San Pedro, CA (Los Angeles) you'll get an up close view of these 5" DP 2ndaries...they're remnants of a bygone age...when BBs like this were made, we didn't have huge supertankers and cruise ships that (guns and missiles aside, of course) kind of make this 887-foot behemoth look less intimidating.....iowabidness.thumb.jpg.a688bed1691f6bcf0a66837e0f97e1f2.jpgaashell.thumb.jpg.e11b5fe24e9887d27fd374d869c0f2ab.jpg......                                                                                                                                                                 a 16" shell from the main battery seen on deck up against the rear turret.....bear in mind these things weigh a ton and with 6 of the 110-pound gunpowder bags can be thrown clear over the horizon with a fair amount of accuracy.

00types.thumb.jpg.5a4d86f6158afd19395f11995754428e.jpg.........................................          a neat little guide to your options.....mine's the nuclear tipped one.....would definitely make our game pointless, but quick!

..........and no, that's not me in the photo....idk who that friggin guy is.000radar.thumb.jpg.6982c778508910dea83d336843b9f4b4.jpg...                                                           all the radar haters that've been cropping up on forums lately'll love this bad boy.00ciws.thumb.jpg.8ebb67cdc4fdfa7fc6af01dde4ce524e.jpg....here's a closeup of the 60mm, 6,000 (iirc) rounds-a-minute CIWS (close-in weapons system) that came with the modernization in the 80s....meant to down incoming missiles....0poon.thumb.jpg.6a9be5ed8f4534c67d5ef8a28236fa5e.jpg

....here's one of the Harpoon missile lauchers that was also part of the revamp......these were for offense...and just think of how many sophomoric comments one can make about the 'poon we got on this ship!....(arright that's the stuff that'll get me an e-mail...lemme dial it down)

...there were much larger, very-long-range Tomahawk missiles mounted as well, but they're not too photogenic....really just big boxes and there wasn't a concomitant mock-up on display as here....

00bbsmuseums.thumb.jpg.d25b439116c24df86deb94bea7d57523.jpg..here's a checklist of places to go if you're like me and you're into this stuff...I've been aboard the USS Massachusetts and the USS Missouri so far and this one makes 3 of 8.....

lemme know where you've been too and how it was, won't you?

Edited by commodore_torakula
  • Cool 5

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,304 battles

A great experience, glad you shared.  +1

I was aboard both the Missouri and the New Jersey when they were in reserve at Bremerton (just an awestruck little girl looking at the big grey ships) and I've been able to visit the Alabama and North Carolina as well. Also had a chance to visit Missouri and New Jersey a couple of additional times, once when the New Jersey was docked along the Portland waterfront during the Rose Festival and with the Missouri again at Astoria just before she was towed across the Pacific on her way to Pearl. 

Four down, four to go. 

Members
1,570 posts
11,119 battles
2 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

A great experience, glad you shared.  +1

I was aboard both the Missouri and the New Jersey when they were in reserve at Bremerton (just an awestruck little girl looking at the big grey ships) and I've been able to visit the Alabama and North Carolina as well. Also had a chance to visit Missouri and New Jersey a couple of additional times, once when the New Jersey was docked along the Portland waterfront during the Rose Festival and with the Missouri again at Astoria just before she was towed across the Pacific on her way to Pearl. 

Four down, four to go. 

thx.....yah that reminds me I think I was aboard the big MO twice....but once was when I was too young to remember and she was still at Bremerton.

Members
13 posts
65 battles

Awesome. The old gals are still amazing in their own regard. I've been to the Alabama in Mobile as a youngster but the other locations will be on my list 

Members
1,570 posts
11,119 battles

....Man this topic went over badly and I just know it's because it's miscategorized....

....honestly I couldn't find how to start a new topic in "Pigeon's Nest" or "battleships".....and I don't think the failing's on my end....just weird