You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
geser98

Thoughts on York

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Just finished York grind, although calling it a grind would be unfair. It's been a blast, like the rest of KM cruiser line so far. Took a few games to get adjusted to low RoF compared to previous cruisers in line, but after that it went great. Fantastic range, great AP, surprisingly good HE and nice amount of armor - not sure why on a server average she performs so poorly. Yet still I can't seem to get a taste of "German flavor" in cruisers. I'd love to use AP more than I usually do, but crappy shell velocity means that they are really only effective at ranges under 12km and being so close means you're throwing away one of your main advantages and concealment doesn't allow for ninja-style devastating strikes, which is some of my favorites when playing Furutaka, which is, weirdly, the ship that I play with AP mostly.

German hydro is great, but very-very situational. On a few maps, like Fault Line, for example, it works great when you go on 8-line using "lion head" to cover approach and then position yourself between two large islands and then combination of hydro, fighter plane and torpedoes completely denies the cap to enemy DDs. Or similar can be done on Hotspot or in many other island-heavy areas. But for most part it's situational at the very best.

Anyway, looking forward to the newly buffed Hipper, which will be fun in Cleveland-infested waters :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[TSF_1]
Members
3,298 posts
7,484 battles

I loved Yorck. Nothing gimmicky, and a decent ship all around. I've been loving Hipper, especially with the greatly improved AP over Yorck.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
18,628 battles

KM cruiser line only gets better.  I don't recall much, if any, of a recent Hipper buff though.  They did add repair party consumable to the Prinz Eugen (a premium version of the Hipper).  Is that maybe what you are thinking of as a buffed Hipper?

From Hipper on, shell trajectories get flatter and easier to hit with, and AP shells become more useful.  Enjoy!

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, DreadRaybo said:

Is that maybe what you are thinking of as a buffed Hipper?

No, they buffed the reload on Hipper and added repair for Eugen.

VIII Admiral Hipper - for hulls B and C, the standard rudder shift time was reduced to 9.2 seconds (used to be 10.7), the main battery loading time was reduced to 11.5 seconds (used to be 13);

Edited by geser98

Members
165 posts

I only have a couple of games in her, but I’m really enjoying the Yorck.  The slow turret traverse and drop off in AP performance caught me off guard at first, but after a little YouTube homework, I’ve found her to be a very comfortable ship to play.

[THREE]
Members
2,274 posts
12,210 battles

Hey

The Yorck for me was an odd duck; I liked most of it except the slow turret rotation which was a major nuisance and then there was the difference between the flight times of the AP and HE, I usually spammed HE most of the time since it was more predictable.  The AP up close to a broadside ship was quite good.  Overall, it was kind of a let down for me and was glad to get to the Hipper.  I still have it, but only take her out once in a while.  Mostly a port queen.

Pete

[BIER]
Members
407 posts
6,123 battles

Loved my Yorck, back from the old times of just post-beta.  My very first T7 ship. :-)

It's still got it.  I just did this today, and I think that's probably my very best Time to XP ratio game ever.

5.5 XP per second.  :cap_cool:

1898 base XP in a bit under 6 minutes of game play. 

Middle rush on Two Brothers.  Did it with a Scharnhorst and a Shiratsuyu in support, and we tore up the other team. Well, the Scharn and I did, anyway. 

:-)

Nothing like shooting cruisers with Yorck AP at under 4km.  Or having BBs decide to charge you when you have torps. 

Main.thumb.jpg.4152dc944856af7b896048e5d7b6d269.jpg

team.thumb.jpg.a7dc32ff1a415cd9a21c017a36d03702.jpg

stats.thumb.jpg.3e98d5c4d1f1e000b376a040b7447443.jpg

Edited by LAnybody

Members
3,832 posts
9,179 battles

Personally, I feel like the Yorck is a little bit of a struggle for me (at least compared to Nurnberg). The AP and HE definitely feel effective, and the slow turret traverse is a little painful but I can get used to it. Dispersion is really the only thing that feels really weird to me - Karlsruhe/Kongisberg/Nurnberg guns performed really well and felt like the shells went where I wanted them to, and playing the Hipper on PTS and the rental Hindenburg in clan battles had a similar feel, but Yorck feels very shotgunny beyond 7 or 8km. While twin turrets tend to feel less accurate to me than triples, Yorck just feels more extreme. I've seen other players stomp all over the enemy team in it, but so far it feels like this is going to be more grindy than other cruisers have.

• Cool 1

[BIER]
Members
407 posts
6,123 battles

HE in the Yorck should feel just like the Hipper - they're pretty much identical, though the Yorck's do get a tiny bit wobbly out near max range compared to the Hipper. But they're more powerful HE - it can even punch through the heavy deck armor of T9 BBs (52mm of penetration).

But AP is a LOT worse. It gets really floaty out past 8km - the air drag is awful.

So, unlike anything since the Kolberg, you want to shoot HE pretty much all the time. AP is for ambushes and the idiot CL/CA that decides to broadside you at 4km.

Members
280 posts
3,014 battles
On 5/31/2018 at 6:16 PM, geser98 said:

nice amount of armor

My reaction: O_o

I dunno but to me she seems even squishier than the Nurnberg, and that is one HELL of a glass cannon. Also annoyed that no matter how I play, I seem to be the sole target of every enemy ship in sight, more so than the Nurn-in that ship if I played smart and stayed behind the BBs and rained HE everywhere, I'd be ignored most of the time in favor of the enemy shooting our BBs-honestly I love that ship so much it'll end up being one of the few I keep permanently. In the Yorck if I do this I still get targeted by every ship with AP and get knocked down to 10% health or outright killed in one, sometimes two hits-in the Nurn even getting blasted with a full broadside of AP would only bring me down to 50%. (And yes, it is fully upgraded, I know a lot of people responding to those of us who don't like the Yorck make the point of it being better once you snag all the upgrades, but for me it's made little to no difference).

I'm really struggling and getting frustrated with this ship-she seems fairly sluggish for a cruiser, but maybe that's just me/the fact it's my first T7 ship? But even at max ranges I'm having trouble dodging shells.

Getting to the next ship in the line can't come fast enough for me -_-

Edited by Stormie1126

[WOLF3]
Members
24,789 posts
21,840 battles

Yorck in general is very average.  She doesn't sail particularly well, she's not stealthy, she's not tough.  Even her AA sucks.  Shell for shell, she has the best German Cruiser HE Shells in the line.  However, there are some excellent Cruiser HE Spammers here in Tier VII anyways, so that's not exactly a big "wow!" factor.  But her AP floats badly, especially at double digit ranges.  The one thing Yorck is dangerous in, is in a short ranged fight.  Double launchers per side, 6km torps x6 per side is enough to put fear into anyone if they get close with Yorck.  Fiji, Algerie, Schors either are not ideal short ranged fighters, or they have too few torpedoes.  Myoko doesn't knife fight for torps, she kites and drops them at range.  IJN Cruisers in general are poor short range combatants.  Yorck is the one with very useful torp launch angles (like Fiji), useful torp ranges (like Fiji), ample torpedoes per side (unlike Fiji).

She's not a bad ship, but not exactly grand, either.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,255 posts
6,233 battles
On 7/10/2018 at 9:00 PM, Stormie1126 said:

My reaction: O_o

I dunno but to me she seems even squishier than the Nurnberg, and that is one HELL of a glass cannon.

No you did not read that wrong, Yorck really is tankier tier-for-tier than the Nurnberg. She just doesn't FEEL as tanky because tier 8s are more common and ohai teir 9. Now Pensacola, THAT was a squishy tier 7 CA, but Yorck at least has some more staying power to her, roughly similar to Algerie.