You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

HI HI, can we finally get separate Hydro and Radar detection icons?

20 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles

I mean, I just don't know which of the 6+ radar ships and 2+ hydro equipped ships are detecting me.

• Cool 9

Members
933 posts
4,029 battles

There's a difference from Hydro and Radar detection already

Radar kinda shows a circular radar screen near the DETECTED thing

Hydro shows a different thing

well as far as i remember

Edited by TitanicMan2

[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles

Really?

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

I play this game pretty infrequently these days, so you'll have to forgive my memory.

I always use a mod in Aslains that shows different icons. I usually don't play without them because the vanilla icons are way too small. 

I could've sworn the last time I played it shows them individually, but don't quote me on that.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles

I mean, if they are different, it's not obvious enough

Like I should get this wall of text in my face that says

HYDRO

or

RADAR

or

U DUN F'D UP!

• Funny 2

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

Hydro looks something like this IIRC ((•))

Radar looks like this:

(it's the only example I could think of off the top of my head)

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,611 battles

There’s a difference??? I still can’t tell after 4000+ games, and when I was a true noob this was hugely confusing!

[CVA16]
Members
4,714 posts
14,424 battles

If there is a difference, can somebody post a screenshot of each. I have never noticed a difference (what if you are lit up by both?, which takes precidence?) but I'm guessing it is subtle if it exists. Not like the detected by surface vs air icons anyway.

[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles
16 minutes ago, n00bot said:

There’s a difference??? I still can’t tell after 4000+ games, and when I was a true noob this was hugely confusing!

Well if they are different, it's a relatively recent thing and even I, with 9k battles, could not tell the difference between the icons.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,137 posts
19,121 battles

They look the same if you're running of the   Vanilla client and yes please I would love to see  Them shown as separate icons like they used to be

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,532 battles

They used to have different icons in the vanilla client, but WG for some reason made them use the same icon now.

Members
1,570 posts
11,124 battles

I do not concure with the OP......it's not a big deal and what's the fuss over hydro anyway?.....With all the hydro I've had I detected someone usefully exactly once...  .....radar's a factor, but that's different.

....hydro's totally pointless.....within 4.4km or whatever your detection range is, me against you with me in an Isokaze/Minekaze/Kagero will be reliably dead if I insist on getting that close to you and dropping a full suite of pedoes....even if I'm suicide in the process (not always by any means) it's a net point game for our team.

...I'll fully stipulate that the OP is a way better player than me, but hydro??.....wth is the point of it?

[WOLFB]
Members
3,314 posts
13,663 battles
1 hour ago, commodore_torakula said:

I do not concure with the OP......it's not a big deal and what's the fuss over hydro anyway?.....With all the hydro I've had I detected someone usefully exactly once...  .....radar's a factor, but that's different.

....hydro's totally pointless.....within 4.4km or whatever your detection range is, me against you with me in an Isokaze/Minekaze/Kagero will be reliably dead if I insist on getting that close to you and dropping a full suite of pedoes....even if I'm suicide in the process (not always by any means) it's a net point game for our team.

...I'll fully stipulate that the OP is a way better player than me, but hydro??.....wth is the point of it?

You're inside a cap. You know the red team has DM, German DD, Minotaure and Moksva. You're spotted by something, but you don't know if it's a radar or hydro. Tell me what are you doing ?

-You're waiting inside the cap expecting Moksva radar to run out ?

-You leave the cap expecting DM / Mino radar ?

-You go outside and try to fight thinking it's the German DD ?

-You drop torps where you think the ennemi will be ?

-You don't drop torps because hydro would spot them ?

As a DD knowing what spots you is a life or death question. Even if hydro seems "harmless" due to their effective range, when you notice the last moment it wasn't a radar but actually a german DD sneaking around your smoke or island, it's basically a death sentence. I've been hydro and radar several time and so far, I never managed to know whether it's a hydro or radar just by looking at the icon. The only thing that let me know what is spotting me is if I already spotted the ship. Otherwise the only thing I can do is guess 

• Cool 1

[WORST]
Members
149 posts
13,674 battles
13 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

I mean, I just don't know which of the 6+ radar ships and 2+ hydro equipped ships are detecting me.

I second this.

2 hours ago, commodore_torakula said:

.....it's not a big deal and what's the fuss over hydro anyway?.....

....hydro's totally pointless.....within 4.4km or whatever your detection range is....

hydro is very relevant at t8-t10 where the range (at least for the german DDs/CAs/BBs + Loyang) is in the range of 5.5-5.9 km and the duration can approach 2.5 minutes. THere is a reason why german DDs and Loyang are the masters of cap control.

Members
1,570 posts
11,124 battles
3 hours ago, _Kaiser_Sose_ said:

I second this.

hydro is very relevant at t8-t10 where the range (at least for the german DDs/CAs/BBs + Loyang) is in the range of 5.5-5.9 km and the duration can approach 2.5 minutes. THere is a reason why german DDs and Loyang are the masters of cap control.

y on Earth would I bother to get that close in a Kagero or a Benson or Shima, for example?.....it don't happen...I have an envelope of 8km down to a detection range of about 5.4km that I can drop pedoes in .....most of the time I stay unseen....hydro is futile

.... .....and on a related note: radar shmadar......if you know what your doing in a DD staying out of it is a piece of piss....I dont claim to be a good player either--but I know what I know....

...and nothing caps better than killing what's in the cap.....

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles
28 minutes ago, commodore_torakula said:

y on Earth would I bother to get that close in a Kagero or a Benson or Shima, for example?.....it don't happen...I have an envelope of 8km down to a detection range of about 5.4km that I can drop pedoes in .....most of the time I stay unseen....hydro is futile

.... .....and on a related note: radar shmadar......if you know what your doing in a DD staying out of it is a piece of piss....I dont claim to be a good player either--but I know what I know....

...and nothing caps better than killing what's in the cap.....

You are missing the point. a high tier German  can effectively lock an opposing team out of a cap for a significant period of time. All they need to do is pull up next to a rock and pop sonar. If the cruisers on their team have any brains at all, they just lay back and obliterate the opposing teams dds or anything else that approaches the cap for that matter. The effect is even more amplified by caps that provide good island camping options for high tier USN cruisers to lob heat shells over.

Members
1,570 posts
11,124 battles
2 minutes ago, saber1979 said:

You are missing the point. a high tier German  can effectively lock an opposing team out of a cap for a significant period of time. All they need to do is pull up next to a rock and pop sonar. If the cruisers on their team have any brains at all, they just lay back and obliterate the opposing teams dds or anything else that approaches the cap for that matter. The effect is even more amplified by caps that provide good island camping options for high tier USN cruisers to lob heat shells over.

very well.....usually I'm stalking the big dogs and avoiding CAs like leprosy whether or not their around a corner of rocks....and low tier is different you guys are talking 8-10tier......all the hydro I every had at mid-tier was without merit....detected one DD once on the Strait map....

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

As far as I remember, they were differentiated for a while some patches ago, with hydro displaying headphones rather than the exclamation point above the "detected" text and radar displaying something like the radar screen.  But then hydro/radar detection were consolidated into the single (non-direct, non-aircraft) detection symbol we have now.  Perhaps because WG felt the differentiated symbols were information overload for players?  But it is not like that ship has not sailed some time ago.

Anyway, I agree, I'd like different symbols back in vanilla.