You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Indianapolis as Mission reward?

25 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
11,801 posts
13,379 battles

As much as I love winning ships and owning a large number of shipsin my port, particularly major historical ships. I must say I have mixed feelings about Indianapolis being given away in such a manner, especially since Radar is already running rampant in high tiers. And the limited numbers of Radar ships in mid tiers  is highly questionable as to whether they should even be there or not. If much of the playerbase gets their hands on a tier 7 Radar ship then even tier V ships will suffer. And of course with how fragile Indianapolis is, the rookie players will be deleted on sight. Teams are prioritizing Radar ships as main targets out of desperation, because they are murderous on the average DD,  they can torch entire teams of BBs, and CVs are not usually too fond of  Indianapolis either. Lol you can see how such ships really can unite teams as far as the question of if such cruisers should die ASAP or not.

Lol in the very least things will be interesting this summer. And my poor DDs will probably be mothballed until Fall when this Radar festival normalizes a little, and my Cruisers and Battleships will have to work overtime to deal with the Summer of the Cruisers. Might be daring enough to use my CVs a little as well, but with all those smaller targets with increased AA, CVs may not be that appealing to use either.

Any thoughts on the Indianapolis event?

( please keep any feedback civil, since while this topic might do with some discussion, nobody needs any bans)

• Cool 2

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
9,111 posts
10,491 battles

Well, if they're gonna get wiped out on sight, what's the problem? xD

Really, Indy is very few peoples go to ship, even if it's free, I doubt it'll be used much once the new ship smell wears off.

• Cool 4

[WOLF3]
Members
24,805 posts
21,855 battles

Radar Indianapolis isn't really a Radar threat.  She can't sneak up easily enough to surprise ships without getting outspotted and focus fired, deleted.

Anyways, I wasn't aware there was an event to give away Indianapolis.  If people can get a Premium Ship that they never had, I'm fine with it.  Back when ARP Takao came out, I had Atago already.  ARP Takao is basically an Atago that couldn't throw on camo.  I remember people around here were acting upset that F2P people were getting basically the same Premium Ship they bought but this time as a reward.  I didn't at all, I was actually happy for them.

Besides, Indianapolis had been out a long time already.

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
9,111 posts
10,491 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Radar Indianapolis isn't really a Radar threat.  She can't sneak up easily enough to surprise ships without getting outspotted and focus fired, deleted.

Anyways, I wasn't aware there was an event to give away Indianapolis.  If people can get a Premium Ship that they never had, I'm fine with it.  Back when ARP Takao came out, I had Atago already.  ARP Takao is basically an Atago that couldn't throw on camo.  I remember people around here were acting upset that F2P people were getting basically the same Premium Ship they bought but this time as a reward.  I didn't at all, I was actually happy for them.

Besides, Indianapolis had been out a long time already.

Exactly. Really, Indy only becomes a radar threat if she's DD hunting at the end of a battle, she'll be seen outside her 9.9km range, and she's usually focused due to the "mememememememememememe" psychosis because she's so fragile.

[SEALZ]
Members
668 posts
7,495 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Exactly. Really, Indy only becomes a radar threat if she's DD hunting at the end of a battle, she'll be seen outside her 9.9km range, and she's usually focused due to the "mememememememememememe" psychosis because she's so fragile.

I will say the biggest threat generated by Indy radar is not from the Indy herself, but the teammates that recognize the advantage and act accordingly.

• Cool 1

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
9,111 posts
10,491 battles
2 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I will say the biggest threat generated by Indy radar is not from the Indy herself, but the teammates that recognize the advantage and act accordingly.

^ Exactly so. Having a team that'll actually do it though...

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
2 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

This, and the fact that outside of premium ships and PA dd radar, there is none. In say a narrow environment, like ranked, it can be very hand, just dont be see because paper armor.

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles

I'm just happy to possibly get something that will remind me of Pensacola back when it was at tier 7.

The radar is just a bonus.

• Cool 2

[RCNW3]
Members
1,900 posts
17,493 battles

If they want to give out my port queen, Indianapolis, go right ahead.  I really wanted to love her, but... gives up the citidels like no tomorrow, I am sure she looks like a very tasty morsel to the red team every time I take it out.  One of my worst premiums...

[-TKS-]
Members
817 posts
13,243 battles

the only way radar is not a threat is if  its a new player or there are no dd's /1 dd on the teams.  the atlanta does well with its radar against dd's 

[SEALZ]
Members
668 posts
7,495 battles
2 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

the only way radar is not a threat is if  its a new player or there are no dd's /1 dd on the teams.  the atlanta does well with its radar against dd's 

Atlanta also has a metric ship-ton if guns with DD level reload. Imagine a gearing with about 9 more turrets plastered on to it, of course it will delete DDs, it’s what Atlanta’s do. Indy has radar but can get off one, maybe two salvos before time is up.

[HE]
Members
567 posts
10,810 battles
27 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Atlanta also has a metric ship-ton if guns with DD level reload. Imagine a gearing with about 9 more turrets plastered on to it, of course it will delete DDs, it’s what Atlanta’s do. Indy has radar but can get off one, maybe two salvos before time is up.

The Boise is a bigger problem 

It has the same radar and it has the firepower to destroy DDs.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,304 battles

Well the Indy's position has changed somewhat since the split.  She used to be a somewhat tougher version of Pensecola with a shorter than normal ranged radar.  I used her quiet a bit during the Ranked season of Tier 7's a little over a year ago where you were either carrying Hydro (In the Pensacola) or Radar (in the Indy) to seek out DD;s and Belfasts hiding in the smoke (this was before the new smoke screen rules). 

Since the smoke rules changes her value has been a bit devalued and now she's more the less sturdy version of New Orleans with short ranged radar. I'm not sure if that balances completely but she's still a decent ship.  

Members
1,933 posts
8,821 battles

If they're giving something away, odds are it's not that good in the first place. Indy was barely passable when Pensacola was tier 7. Now that Pensacola has been downtiered this hunk of junk will definitely show how pitiful it is compared to New Orleans.

Beta Testers
1,498 posts
18,517 battles
1 hour ago, Panzer1113 said:

If they want to give out my port queen, Indianapolis, go right ahead.  I really wanted to love her, but... gives up the citidels like no tomorrow, I am sure she looks like a very tasty morsel to the red team every time I take it out.  One of my worst premiums...

Here's an odd thing, notice the WR and then the survival rate.

indy.JPG

[FML]
Members
3,620 posts
14,525 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

As much as I love winning ships and owning a large number of shipsin my port, particularly major historical ships. I must say I have mixed feelings about Indianapolis being given away in such a manner, especially since Radar is already running rampant in high tiers. And the limited numbers of Radar ships in mid tiers  is highly questionable as to whether they should even be there or not. If much of the playerbase gets their hands on a tier 7 Radar ship then even tier V ships will suffer. And of course with how fragile Indianapolis is, the rookie players will be deleted on sight. Teams are prioritizing Radar ships as main targets out of desperation, because they are murderous on the average DD,  they can torch entire teams of BBs, and CVs are not usually too fond of  Indianapolis either. Lol you can see how such ships really can unite teams as far as the question of if such cruisers should die ASAP or not.

Lol in the very least things will be interesting this summer. And my poor DDs will probably be mothballed until Fall when this Radar festival normalizes a little, and my Cruisers and Battleships will have to work overtime to deal with the Summer of the Cruisers. Might be daring enough to use my CVs a little as well, but with all those smaller targets with increased AA, CVs may not be that appealing to use either.

Any thoughts on the Indianapolis event?

( please keep any feedback civil, since while this topic might do with some discussion, nobody needs any bans)

If the Indianapolis is anything like the pre-split Pensacola, it’s primary targets are cruisers; not destroyers. 

There is no problem here. 

[RCNW3]
Members
1,900 posts
17,493 battles
20 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Here's an odd thing, notice the WR and then the survival rate.

indy.JPG

Good results, 64 battles- 31% survival - sometimes ships click with people, or you can division well and balance the ships, or sometimes your mix of up-tiering is different.  Me as a Solo, nothing like getting stuck in a tier 9 match with an Indi..especially in heavy BB games

[K0]
Members
1,751 posts
7,747 battles

Indianapolis has barely any business hunting destroyers, at best she can use her long-range (for a USN cruiser) radar to make other ships shoot at them.

She's much better at trolling Belfasts.

Edited by Flashtirade

[WOLF3]
Members
24,805 posts
21,855 battles
3 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I'm just happy to possibly get something that will remind me of Pensacola back when it was at tier 7.

The radar is just a bonus.

Pensacola sailed better than Indianapolis, shot faster than her, and had +1 gun over her.  The only thing Indy had was Radar going for her, and her protection and detection ranges made that harder to leverage.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles
9 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Pensacola sailed better than Indianapolis, shot faster than her, and had +1 gun over her.  The only thing Indy had was Radar going for her, and her protection and detection ranges made that harder to leverage.

She was also a smaller target and more likely to eat an overpen than the Indy is.  Indy gives up pens.

[RKLES]
Members
11,801 posts
13,379 battles

Good opinions being made in this thread. Maybe it will be alright to have Indy released more widely. 

I just have mostly been of the opinion that Radar has no place in tier V or VI battles since many players are still just learning how to transition from the low tier DDs into what mid tier and high tier style DD battles will be like, and they already have to deal with hydro which is shorter ranged. Radar just seems little too soon for them to worry about if they are trying to learn, and if a player genuinely is wanting to learn to be a good player then we do not need to drive them away before they get practiced at the game. But guess that ship sailed with Belfast, Flint, and Atlanta lol.

[--K--]
Members
5,327 posts
16,612 battles

I think some one got tired of "The only Tier 7 Radar is locked behind a pay way" type comments and now everyone who plays the game has a chance of getting a premium T7 radar ship. Is it the best probably not cough Belfast cough But it should be interesting to see what people do with it. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

I'll do it on my alt account, just because.  If nothing else I can retrain my NOLA and Cleveland captains with it without penalty.

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
15 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Indy actually had a slightly faster ROF and much longer ranged guns before the split. This patch they’ve buffed her rudder shift and turret traverse so she’s definitely superior to the old Pensscola.