Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TypicalEngineer

Molotov recommended?

24 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

So I have some spare doubloons and I'm thinking about picking uo a Molotov to round out my cruisers. I've gotten to the Kirov so far in the Russian line and am really liking it.

I have experience driving fragile cruisers, I actually liked Nurnberg in the German line.

So how does Molotov fare when uptiered? The limited manouvreability has me slightly concerned.

Thanks in advance

Edited by TypicalEngineer

[-NOS-]
Members
1,223 posts
21,150 battles

worth it, AP hit like freight train, but like all other Russian cruisers do NOT show your broadside, the citadel belt is the size of a football field, or you'll get deleted quickly.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,900 posts
17,500 battles

Molotov is good, great guns make it competitive - but if someone sneezes in you direction, you take damage.  Tiers up better then some, due to the guns, but have to play very conservatively, can kite effectively and should make sure you are playing at range and using spotter plane.  

[WOLFA]
Members
754 posts
5,705 battles

Cruiser VS cruiser you can own because of the AP of the guns.

DD's melt at a sniff of your HE.

BB's will burn hard but only at a distance.

Second line playstyle for the Molotov and you will do well. Turns like the Queen Mary and expert marksman is a must because of the slow turrets.

Edited by CorradoG60

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles

I'm used to cruiser play so I know not to show my broadside. I held off on the russian cruisers for their manouvreability for a while. Been playing Kirov for a couple of matches and liking it so far. Even with the stock hull I can deal with her manouvreability.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,088 posts
17,161 battles

If you like and can handle Kirov, you'll like Molotov. She's a Kirov class, after all. Really a ship that doesn't handle being shot at, but can dish out the damage and drive nails at long range.

• Cool 2

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
2 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Sounds like I'd like Molotov!

I have Kirov not Molotov.  Kirov similar and, as stated, hits dang well but rather delicate as is, apparently, Molotov. But hey....MOST cruisers are rather delicate. 

[USCG]
Members
526 posts
17,931 battles

I stay towards the back and use your AMAZING guns a range. Hit after hit after hit...  Punches holes in cruisers and burns BBs quite well.  Great cruiser but like others have mentioned, DO NOT SHOW YOUR BROADSIDE!!

[WOLF3]
Members
24,807 posts
21,855 battles
27 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

So I have some spare doubloons and I'm thinking about picking uo a Molotov to round out my cruisers. I've gotten to the Kirov so far in the Russian line and am really liking it.

I have experience driving fragile cruisers, I actually liked Nurnberg in the German line.

So how does Molotov fare when uptiered? The limited manouvreability has me slightly concerned.

Thanks in advance

Molotov is still a good Cruiser in her tier, it's just MM shafts her where she's seeing higher tier threats that are better able to deal with her than the other tiers.

If you know how to survive in fragile Cruisers, give it a crack.  The 180mm guns are still stronk.

In the old MM, Molotov was considered blatantly OP and one of the poster children of "Russian Bias."  In the old MM, there was no tier protection, so Molotov and those powerful 180mm guns was deleting stuff like Phoenix, Kuma, etc.  It was ugly and hilarious at the same time!  I wish you were there to be a part of it.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,429 posts
35 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Thanks in advance

It's a Kirov on steroids, if you enjoy the Kirov, you'll love the Molly.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

Keep in mind that at tier 6 you can hit a lot of the weekly Operations.  This was a big selling point for me because  those are really easy Credit and EXP missions.

I use my 14 pt Minsk Captain in mine with a somewhat generic layout and he does just fine - IFHE helps but just hitting lower tier ships from the sides racks up a ton of damage.

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,633 battles

I love the Molotov but it sure is a glass cannon.

T9 guns + T3 armor = T6 Molotov

[PVE]
Members
11,014 posts
20,949 battles
2 hours ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Thanks in advance

I have Molotov and like it which surprised me as I actually hate Kirov with a passion. I find Molotov vastly superior to Kirov even though similar. It is a decent ship and if you like the Russian CL line you should like Molotov. While fragile I find it a lot tougher than Kirov which blows up if the enemy farts in your direction.

Keep in mind as a T6 Molotov sees T5-T8 MM. Kirov as a T5 sees T4-T7. MM is tougher on Molotov.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have Molotov and like it which surprised me as I actually hate Kirov with a passion. I find Molotov vastly superior to Kirov even though similar. It is a decent ship and if you like the Russian CL line you should like Molotov. While fragile I find it a lot tougher than Kirov which blows up if the enemy farts in your direction.

Keep in mind as a T6 Molotov sees T5-T8 MM. Kirov as a T5 sees T4-T7. MM is tougher on Molotov.

That was why I was wondering how Molotov holds up when uptiered? I guess reasonably due to her T9 guns

[PVE]
Members
11,014 posts
20,949 battles
5 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

That was why I was wondering how Molotov holds up when uptiered? I guess reasonably due to her T9 guns

Same guns as Donskoi yes. Also same guns Kirov gets too but with 1 sec less reload. little more range, and couple hundred more AP damage (vs Kirov not Donskoi).

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
2 hours ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Thanks in advance

The ship is fast, and the guns hit hard. Those are the good points. The bad points are it requires the state of Nebraska to turn around in, and if a cyclone comes up the rain will citadel you. It is okay in randoms, but the slow reload will get you eaten alive by swarms of bots in operations.

Members
122 posts
1,950 battles
19 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

The ship is fast, and the guns hit hard. Those are the good points. The bad points are it requires the state of Nebraska to turn around in, and if a cyclone comes up the rain will citadel you. It is okay in randoms, but the slow reload will get you eaten alive by swarms of bots in operations.

I mostly play randoms with the occansional Operation. Hearing mixed things about Molotov in Operations, but I'm having succes with the equally fragile Nurnberg in Operations so I guess I should be fine.

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
16,201 battles

Molotov also has spotter plane which adds 20% to gun firing range. This can really piss off an enemy ships as you can out distance many of them.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
Just now, TypicalEngineer said:

I mostly play randoms with the occansional Operation. Hearing mixed things about Molotov in Operations, but I'm having succes with the equally fragile Nurnberg in Operations so I guess I should be fine.

Nurn is much more nimble, and has twice the ROF of Molotov. The Kumas will descend upon you like a school of piranha. I've watched it happen.

[SYN]
Members
300 posts
12,040 battles

She's a beast and well worth it - 1 of my 1st premium ships and fun as hell to play too,  9 - 180 mm guns  hit hard -  enjoy M8

[THREE]
Members
2,274 posts
12,217 battles

Hey

Molotov is a fragile BUT hugely fun ship to play and does very well as long as you watch who is aiming at you.  Great fun, well worth the purchase price.

Pete

Sign in to follow this