You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Altrunchen

Baltimore (T8) & Captain - Optimal Build Advice

12 comments in this topic

Members
126 posts
1,533 battles

I'm wondering what people think the best build for a USN T8 Baltimore is these days for Random Battles. I'm no expert at this sort of thing nor do I pretend to be. So what do you guys recommend I go with exactly?

Goal: To make a build for the T8 Baltimore with its captain that optimizes its abilities for Random Battles.

What I'm Considering:

Ship Modules:

Module Icon: Module Name:
Wows_icon_modernization_PCM030_MainWeapo Main Armaments Modification 1 Because this ship only has turrets. Losing one or more of them could mean the different between this ship being capable of helping the team and being a kill in the making.
Wows_icon_modernization_PCM020_DamageCon Damage Control System Modification 1 Because if you take Last Stand as a captain skill then it makes the other two basically pointless.

Icon_modernization_PCM011_AirDefense_Mod

or

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM033_Guidance_

AA Guns Modification 2

or

Aiming Systems Modification 1

Anti-Aircraft is one of the things that USN ships seem to do very well in general. Since it adds 11 points to the score and broadens the AA range so much it seems like taking this really capitalizes on one of the major strengths of the USN line.

Since this ship relies solely on its guns, I also feel like this might be a good choice too. Since most games don't seem to have many aircraft these days. That said, if you want good guns I feel like you shouldn't be in the American Cruiser tech tree. I feel like, at best, this upgrade helps the ship catch up to its peers but that it won't put it ahead of them. Still not sure though

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM023_DamageCon

or

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM025_SteeringG

Damage Control System Modification 2

or

Steering Gears Modification 2

The first one mitigates damage.

The second one helps me avoid damage.

Which do you think? I'm really not sure.

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM026_LookoutSt

or

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM027_Concealme

Target Acquisition System Modification 1

or

Concealment System Modification 1

This one I honestly have no idea which to go with.

On the one hand the Baltimore has a lot more armor in some places (6 - 203mm) than an Admiral Hipper (13 - 160mm), Mogami (6 - 140mm), Edinburgh (6 - 114mm), or a Charles Martel (6 - 140mm). Which would imply that it would be better at surviving being detected more than usual and might imply that a good choice would be the Target Acquisition System Modification 1.

However, thicker armor or no the fact remains that you don't want to be a target for battleships no matter what. Especially since T8 seems to be bottom tier most of the time. So with that in mind I'm thinking of going with Concealment System Modification 1 because the less visible my ship the less people will fire at it.

But I'm still not sure.

Captain Skills :
I really have no idea what to go with for this. What do you guys suggest?

Edited by Altrunchen
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,243 posts
4,969 battles

I went with MAM1, DCSM1, ASM1, DCSM2 and CSM1. My reasoning behind these choices are obvious for the first two.

I decided to go with ASM1 because CVs aren't very common at the moment (this will most likely change after the revamp), the Baltimore comes with a fairly decent base AA rating, and the additional accuracy I can use every match as oppose to the situational nature of AAGM.

I don't think DCSM2 or SGM2 are bad choices either way and will be one I will probably play with later, however I tend to play heavy cruisers fairly aggressively so DCSM2 slightly hedged out SGM2 in my mind.

With that aggressive play style in mind I chose CSM1. This allows me to get closer before I fire to give my shells the best chances of causing the most damage. It especially becomes useful in the later stages of the game. You will never be able to sneak up on a DD in a high tier cruiser in open water, so TASM1 is only good for countering surprise torpedo attacks in my estimation. If you pay attention to your surroundings that should never be an issue. Plus you have consumables that help with this making it slightly redundant.

Not sure if this is a good set up or even one that'll work for you, it's just one that fits my play and rationale.

[CNM88]
Members
548 posts
2,713 battles

MAM1 is a staple. It’s really the only thing worth using. You shouldn’t be using Last stand because if you do get your rudder taken out (or the engine for that matter) something went horribly wrong so DCSM1 is still the only choice. The dispersion is already nice, I see no real point in taking ASM1 unless you want to make it tighter. SGM2 for those torpedo beats, really a no brainer. Finally CSM1 because with CE 10km detection range is quite nice.

For captain I picked PT, EM, SI, CE, Vigilance, AR, BFT, and the last two is your choice in this exact order. You change out BFT for DE for more inferno. Expert Loader is also a nice choice when you have someone broadside to you and you have all 4 turrets loaded for 5sec reload of preserving freedom. Have fun :-)

Members
1,684 posts
8,055 battles

I took AA Mod 2 not because I expect to see aircraft all the time, but because the guns are accurate to a fine frog hair anyway. It was a matter of a big buff to something that is rarely used (but critical when it is) or a small buff to something used all the time. Since the Baltimore only has a range of 15 km (give or take), it doesn’t have much dispersion. 

I took Steering Gear Mod 2 because USN cruisers need to angle, and need to change their angle depending on what’s shooting (you want to face most French BBs bow-on, but you should give US and Japanese BBs a sharply-angled side). The Baltimore needs to use island, and needs to dodge torpedoes. 

I went with the concealment mod, because it helps if you get caught out in open water, and makes it so if you get detected you know the spotter will be in radar range. That said, once you get in and start using islands for cover, it’s not so important. 

Im not sure of the TAS mod though — It always leaves me disappointed when I try it. 

[CNM88]
Members
548 posts
2,713 battles
26 minutes ago, inktomi19d said:

I took AA Mod 2 not because I expect to see aircraft all the time, but because the guns are accurate to a fine frog hair anyway. It was a matter of a big buff to something that is rarely used (but critical when it is) or a small buff to something used all the time. Since the Baltimore only has a range of 15 km (give or take), it doesn’t have much dispersion. 

I took Steering Gear Mod 2 because USN cruisers need to angle, and need to change their angle depending on what’s shooting (you want to face most French BBs bow-on, but you should give US and Japanese BBs a sharply-angled side). The Baltimore needs to use island, and needs to dodge torpedoes. 

I went with the concealment mod, because it helps if you get caught out in open water, and makes it so if you get detected you know the spotter will be in radar range. That said, once you get in and start using islands for cover, it’s not so important. 

Im not sure of the TAS mod though — It always leaves me disappointed when I try it. 

TASM1 isn’t worth it. Shells move too slow past 16km and anyway, everyone shows themselves before you even spot them. Now though if we’re talking about the Buffalo...

Members
126 posts
1,533 battles

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to go with:

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM030_MainWeapoWows_icon_modernization_PCM020_DamageConIcon_modernization_PCM011_AirDefense_ModWows_icon_modernization_PCM025_SteeringGWows_icon_modernization_PCM027_Concealme

and

Icon_PriorityTarget_dark.pngIcon_ExpertMarksman_dark.pngIcon_Superintendent_dark.pngIcon_ConcealmentExpert_dark.png

At least so far, my captain isn't leveled up entirely.

Thanks again!

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
On 01/06/2018 at 9:12 PM, Altrunchen said:

Wows_icon_modernization_PCM030_MainWeapoWows_icon_modernization_PCM020_DamageConIcon_modernization_PCM011_AirDefense_ModWows_icon_modernization_PCM025_SteeringGWows_icon_modernization_PCM027_Concealme

and

Icon_PriorityTarget_dark.pngIcon_ExpertMarksman_dark.pngIcon_Superintendent_dark.pngIcon_ConcealmentExpert_dark.png

Thanks again!

Nice! How's it working out for you so far Altrunchen? 

Members
126 posts
1,533 battles
On 6/6/2018 at 4:29 PM, WolfofWarship said:

Nice! How's it working out for you so far Altrunchen? 

No complaints so far. It feels like a heavier Cleveland to be perfectly honest.

• Cool 1

[1-]
Members
138 posts
6,463 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 10:12 PM, Altrunchen said:

and

Thanks again!

This! The Baltimore is already a solid ship at its base. You dont need the accuracy for the guns since you dont get the range upgrade anyway. Also with the concealment upgrades your radar basically equals your spot range (10km) so you can get closer than 15km before shooting. Of course the AA is situational but its worth it once you have to use it. Rudder shift makes this one a rather quickly turning ship, which feels really nice.

Members
6,014 posts
6,965 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, Altrunchen said:

and

Thanks again!

What exactly is your reasoning behind taking SI?

At T9, SI made sense as Balti had repair party, but she doesn't get that at T8. An argument could be made for radar, but I've been finding that 3 charges(with the premium consumable) is easily workable within a match. I went with SE as my level 3 skill as I'd rather have the little bit of HP it gives over an extra DF/Hydro and radar charge.

Granted, I may end up taking SI at a later point anyway, but right now I'm not sure how to build the captain beyond the first 10 points. There are a lot of good choices at level three. Right now my Baltimore Captain has, PT, EM, SE, and CE. I'm looking at Vig, BFT, AFT, SI, AR, and maybe DE, and PM as possible skills to take. I'm just not sure what exactly is best for her at T8.

[LEGIO]
Members
44 posts
6,048 battles

great advice on these different build for the Baltimore.  It does feel too much like a Clevland with Bigger and much slower ROF.  There needs to be a bigger differentiation between US CA and US CL lines other than the calibre of the guns installed.   In my opinion  they should add a Heal much like the British starting at Tier 8 and up so as to make them different than the CL's   

[WOLF3]
Members
24,789 posts
21,843 battles
On 9/12/2018 at 4:16 PM, supercrewjohn said:

great advice on these different build for the Baltimore.  It does feel too much like a Clevland with Bigger and much slower ROF.  There needs to be a bigger differentiation between US CA and US CL lines other than the calibre of the guns installed.   In my opinion  they should add a Heal much like the British starting at Tier 8 and up so as to make them different than the CL's   

2 things Baltimore will always have over Cleveland.

1.  203mm guns, i.e. "F--k you, IFHE, I don't need you."  This frees up a lot of points.  For CLs in high Tier, IFHE is mandatory.  To get the full works out of a High Tier USN CL, you **NEED** IFHE, CE, AFT.  That's 18pts at the bare minimum.  The USN CAs?  All you need is CE & AFT and you're already bringing out the full capabilities of the ship.  Without being forced to spend IFHE to actually do reliable damage, those 4 pts can go into a lot of other things to make the CA play more beautifully.

2.  Baltimore has 203mm guns with USN CA AP bounce angles and SHS AP shells that Des Moines has.  These are powerful guns.  With 10 second reloads, this is a good compromise in rate of fire, power, penetration capabilities.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Armor-Piercing

Cleveland needs to have time to do damage output.  Her AP is pretty horrible and does not have the USN CA bounce angles.  She needs time to rack up lots of hits and hope fires help the damage output.  Baltimore's HE still hits hard, has respectable ROF, but her AP is far stronger and can quickly put people down.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway