You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Cruisin' for a Bruisin' - Gameplay

35 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,500 posts
9,079 battles

Image result for world of warships pittsburgh cruiser

Has your gameplay changed since Update 0.7.5?

The changes to the US tech tree, particularly cruisers, is a major shift in game.

Do you play cruisers any different now compared with before Update 0.7.5?

"The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way'." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#throwdownthursday

#anchorsaweigh

dark.png

[RST]
Members
181 posts
22,053 battles

I still play a bit more aggressive than I should. I have been working on trying not to show a bit of a broadside too much. 

Edited by Shadewe
Brief change of reaction
  • Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,900 posts
17,463 battles

Yes, don’t play cruisers right now, because of the queue.  Will see if the “play” is different when the newness wears down

• Cool 1

[PNP]
Members
448 posts
3,898 battles
12 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Has your gameplay changed since Update 0.7.5?

The changes to the US tech tree, particularly cruisers, is a major shift in game.

Do you play cruisers any different now compared with before Update 0.7.5?

"The most damaging phrase in the language is: 'It's always been done that way'." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#throwdownthursday

#anchorsaweigh

dark.png

I play the new T8 cleve the same way as I do as the T6. Current WR in it is 85%. Not much has changed. I do miss being able to shoot down planes by the masses though, its just a bit harder :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
9,054 posts
17,196 battles

@Gneisenau013

One thing that will change is now that the Cleveland is no longer at tier 6, Scenarios are going to be more difficult or danm near impossible to pass now. In a cruiser heavy play mode that is PvE, the departure of the Cleveland is not good. In that regard yes I have changed my way of how I play USN cruisers. In regular play its a relearning process from the beginning again

• Cool 3

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,493 posts
4,602 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

One thing that will change is now that the Cleveland is no longer at tier 6, Scenarios are going to be more difficult or danm near impossible to pass now.

Pensacola actually performs better in Killer Whale than Cleveland did.

Aegis, still to be tested.  Beaver was so good in the CV-ambush role. 

Newport, still to be tested, but I predict that Pensie will be an improvement.

So far, not impressed with Newest Orleans in Hermes.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
1,431 posts
19,134 battles
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

@Gneisenau013

One thing that will change is now that the Cleveland is no longer at tier 6, Scenarios are going to be more difficult or danm near impossible to pass now. In a cruiser heavy play mode that is PvE, the departure of the Cleveland is not good. In that regard yes I have changed my way of how I play USN cruisers. In regular play its a relearning process from the beginning again

There are many other cruisers that are just as good, if not better than the Cleveland in scenarios. For example, you can bow charge and torp nuke a battleship with a Budyonny with its 5 torpedo broadside, among many other examples I can give. Removal of the Cleveland does not drastically disable a team in cruiser choices like you are making it out to be.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
9,054 posts
17,196 battles
2 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

if not better than the Cleveland in scenarios. For example, you can bow charge and torp nuke a battleship with a Budyonny with its 5 torpedo broadside, among many other examples I can give. Removal of the Cleveland does not drastically disable a team in cruiser choices like you are making it out to be.

I would disagree, in tier 6 scenarios I rather have 5 Cleveland's and secure the 5 stars then having a mix of cruisers. Its not just DPM that is going to fall, AA defense as well... The Cleveland in tier 6 scenarios was the Swiss army knife of the cruisers. Now that its gone yes others have more punch, but its not going to be to the caliber the Cleveland was. Now if your going on a suicide charge in a Budyonny, THAT is not what the Cleveland can do I agree. Overall scenarios just gotten harder especially NAS Newport. GL trying to pass it with the current tier 6 cruisers.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,431 posts
19,134 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I would disagree, in tier 6 scenarios I rather have 5 Cleveland's and secure the 5 stars then having a mix of cruisers. Its not just DPM that is going to fall, AA defense as well... The Cleveland in tier 6 scenarios was the Swiss army knife of the cruisers. Now that its gone yes others have more punch, but its not going to be to the caliber the Cleveland was. Now if your going on a suicide charge in a Budyonny, THAT is not what the Cleveland can do I agree. Overall scenarios just gotten harder especially NAS Newport. GL trying to pass it with the current tier 6 cruisers.

You are very limited on what you are able to play then and need to expand your horizons. I can easily do massive amounts of damage and come out top of the team in Budyonny, Makarov (Nurnberg reskin), Molotov, HuangHe, etc. I would easily argue that any of first three are easily able to match or surpass Cleveland's ability to perform in scenarios, and the fourth one as well if played right.

And bow charging a battleship with the Budyonny is far from a suicide move. It is very hard to citadel a Budyonny from the front, doesn't matter what battleship you're using.

Edited by Lightninger

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,493 posts
4,602 battles
11 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

There are many other cruisers that are just as good, if not better than the Cleveland in scenarios. For example, you can bow charge and torp nuke a battleship with a Budyonny with its 5 torpedo broadside, among many other examples I can give. Removal of the Cleveland does not drastically disable a team in cruiser choices like you are making it out to be.

In absolute terms you're quite right.  But there are a lot of players, like me, that have very limited choices in qualifying cruisers. 

3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Now if your going on a suicide charge in a Budyonny,

Not suicide.  He has a bad (for the reds) habit of surviving such moves.

[WORX]
Members
9,054 posts
17,196 battles
3 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

You are very limited on what you are able to play then and need to expand your horizons.

I have, I played every cruiser, BB and DD in scenarios that is why IMO the Cleveland will be missed because her role as a Swiss army knife 

5 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

. I can easily do massive amounts of damage and come out top of the team in Budyonny, Makarov (Nurnberg reskin), Molotov, HuangHe, etc.

In scenarios its not about dmg, its more about completing the objectives as a fleet but with the Cleveland gone the fleet will miss her support abilities. Can a different tier 6 cruiser fill her support role ? Naaa. I am looking pass the DMG side of the Cleveland because anyone the accumulate DMG totals. The Cleveland as a support role was a monster and there is no t6 cruiser at this point in time that can even match up to her in that regard, but yeah the fleet as a whole has to pick up the Clevelands departure slack. In which case it will cause for some really entertaining games imo.

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
1,431 posts
19,134 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

I have, I played every cruiser, BB and DD in scenarios that is why IMO the Cleveland will be missed because her role as a Swiss army knife 

In scenarios its not about dmg, its more about completing the objectives as a fleet but with the Cleveland gone the fleet will miss her support abilities. Can a different tier 6 cruiser fill her support role ? Naaa. I am looking pass the DMG side of the Cleveland because anyone the accumulate DMG totals. The Cleveland as a support role was a monster and there is no t6 cruiser at this point in time that can even match up to her in that regard, but yeah the fleet as a whole has to pick up the Clevelands departure slack. In which case it will cause for some really entertaining games imo.

If you have played every ship in scenarios, then you need to learn to how to play the other ships better as clearly you aren't using them to their full potential if you think Cleveland is the absolute best. Of course not everything is about damage, but you can do things in other cruisers that don't require you to have Cleveland's abilities. Just as another example, you can take a Budyonny, Molotov, Makarov, etc, any cruiser with torpedoes north up the west side in Aegis and nuke the CVs as they spawn so you don't need amazing AA and honestly I think Makarov has better AA than Cleveland does.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,304 battles

Well, I'm not sure it changes game play for cruisers overall, but it does to a degree change how you play individual ships that were effected by the change.  

Cleveland:  She's no longer the top dog in the AA game at her tier nor is she the only cruiser in her tier to carry decent armor.  She's had a buff to her ROF and a significant change to her consumables.  I think, to be competitive in her, you have to realize you're no longer facing older battleships and mostly 6 inch armed cruisers so you need to figure out how to use her new consumables effectively in order to compete at Tier VIII. 

Pensacola:  Has been hit hard with the nerf stick.  Prior to the split she was a heavily armed glass cannon with little effective armor.  She need to depend on her speed and maneuverability to weave and bob while firing back at her tormentors.  That's not going to work with the new T6 version.  She still has a lot of firepower, she can weave and bob, but her heavily nerfed turret traverse rate just can not keep up with the whole weaving and bobbing thing. To let your guns keep up, you're going to need to sail in straight lines on occasion or use your rudder to bring your guns on target, neither of which is helpful with the bobbing and weaving.  Fight her as if she were still at T7 and you're going to get really frustrated cause she just is incapable of doing that anymore. You're just going to have to figure out a new way to fight her effectively in her current form.

I mean you do still have ten 8 inch guns in a land of 6 inch gunned armed cruisers so you have a big stick, the only question is can she survive long enough to actually use it. 

New Orleans:  Main thing I've noticed is her lack of Radar which was a good feature of this ship at Tier VIII.  Without it she's no longer the bloodhound she used to be but she still packs a punch and isn't made of glass like Pensacola was at this tier.  I really don't see there being a need to significantly alter your play style with her beyond that lack of sonar. 

Baltimore:  Haven't noticed a lot of differences here that are going to materially change how you are going to play this ship. She didn't perform as well as her peers at Tier IX but I think she will do just fine at T8.

Big winners of the split:  Tier VI Aircraft Carriers:  At Tier VI, Cleveland was a virtual no fly zone for tier VI CV's which was compounded by the need for CV players new to this tier to learn new mechanics like manual weapons drops and strafing. It was bad enough that the High Alert consumable transformed other cruisers into carrier plane annihilators but Cleveland would just eat up all your squadrons and spit them out if you came near her with her High Alert consumable active.  Tier VI carriers may still see her on occasion, but far less often than in the past which will make their lives much easier and maybe convince more of them to not give up on the type.   

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles

Cleveland is one of those rare cruisers that doesn't need EM, which I like.

• Cool 1

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
194 posts
21,735 battles
6 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Thank you for quoting "Amazing Grace".

I attended an IT conference forty years ago and met a tiny, elderly woman in a USN captain's uniform.  Grace Hopper Murray looked like your petite grandmother wearing a costume.  She may not have been the model for a recruiting poster but was a brilliant person and good public speaker!  She was almost eighty when she retired from the Navy.

• Cool 1

[B-W-M]
Members
337 posts
10,583 battles

Grabbed the Kronshtadt. She suits my playstyle perfectly, just like Gneisenau/Scharnhorst :D

• Cool 1

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
9,110 posts
10,486 battles

I only played Kron and Hindy, and I played Kron like a mix of Hindy and Scharnhorst. Honestly, Kron is OP, but that's ok with me. :D My second Kron round, we had a WGA guy on the reds in Massachoochoo, and it didn't go well for his team lol.

• Cool 1

Members
1,684 posts
8,050 battles

First, having the ability mount both hydro and AADF on the Cleveland is great — It’s a big QOL improvement. Both of those are items which won’t be used in every battle, both of them will make or break you, and both need to be balanced a step if everyone who can carry them does (because a CV just might run into 4 CAs all carrying it), so it’s never made sense to force a choice between them. Frankly, all cruisers should work that way, or if not all cruisers, then at least all USN cruisers. 

That said, switching from Cleveland to Buffalo makes me hate the game every time I end up in a match with a CV, because there were usually none showing in queue so I loaded hydro. It also makes me hate the game every time there’s no CV, because those are always the matches where I loaded AADF expecting that their might be a CV. Constantly having to leave queue and requeue with different consumables is not fun.

the worst part is when I get on the match loading screen and see the teams and know that I already failed. It just sucks. It’s always been one of the crappoest parts about p,suing a cruiser, and it will be good if other cruiser lines are allowed to prepare for both DDs and CVs. 

Love the direction for the USN CL line, but I can tell it’s going to be divisive. I also love the Atlanta, and most of the tactics which work for that work for the Cleveland too. My only complaint is that the 6” guns need IFHE to be effective versus tier 8, 9, and 10 targets. While it’s good that captain specs make a line stronger, even to the point of one talent being in almost every, requiring a 4 point talent just to damage enemies is a bit much.

It's the sort of complaint I don’t expect to see fixed, and don’t blame WG for not fixing, but it’s still a problem. Perhaps IFHE should be reduced to a lower tier? It might be more problematic to fix it than to leave it as is.

I love that the USN CA tree, with steady improvement except for going from tier 8 to tier 10. It’s great that a captain you start with the Pensacola can be moved up the line without rearranging skill points.

On the downside, in the old line there were a couple of ships I liked enough to keep as I moved up, but really all the new CAs are just things you grind through to get the Des Moines. None are so bad I’d recommend free XP through them, but none are going to be the type that players keep even after they grind through them. I think WG tried too hard to make sure nothing in the line was outstanding in any way.

I think the whole line is workable at the new tiers, but even though many of the ships performed badly, they often had something fun about them. If you asked me what made the Pensacola, New Orleans, and Baltimore fun, the things that made those ships fun were the exact things that WG nerfed or removed.

I’m having a hard time trying to find the fun parts of the new line.

At tier 6, Pensacola had stealth and turret speed, meaning that she can zigzag and shoot then go dark — that was how to have fun even when you’re riding a giant citadel with cereal boxes for armor. The old fun was removed, so what about the ship is meant to be fun now? I’m not talking about balance, but what about the ship is meant to make a player smile, buy a permanent port slot, and buy permanent cammo? What we have is checking the box on grinding for Des Moines. 

The New Orleans had a great rudder, forward-focused armament with reasonable turret speed, great stealth, and radar, which gave her a fun little niche as a sneaky hunter. Sure, she had trouble killing what she found quickly enough, but you could get in and skulk around islands and root out troublemakers. Losing her concealment mod and radar means she can’t do the one thing she was good at anymore. Again, she’s serviceable as is, but the only reason someone might keep her is for tier 7 operations — She’s another "good enough" ship, but people don’t keep coming back to ships like that, and don’t buy permanent cammo for them.

The Baltimore could be fun at tier 9 because her guns were ridiculously fast, she had adequate armor, and she had a repair party. This combination meant she could snuggle up to an island and either go bow-on or use the rocks to cover most of the ship, and still pump out good damage with the two turrets it had exposed. She would take constant hits that would whittle her down, but the repair part would keep her going as long as she didn’t take citadel hits. Now she lost her heal, and lost the upgrade to her rate of fire. I don’t know, maybe the adequate armor and quick (but not as quick as it once was) rate of fire will win the Baltimore some admirers. Out of the whole line, I think Baltimore is still the one that stands out most, but she’s not the type of ship which will make people talk about how great she is. I think she might be the high point of the line, but she’s still dull compared to what she once was. 

The Buffalo is a tier 9 Baltimore with a nerfed rate of fire. It’s kinda nice doing as much damage with the back turrets as the front, but that doesn’t change the fact that her DPM is much nerfed from the Baltimore. The only way Buffalo can keep up is to expose her broadside, which is something a cruiser must never do, it leads to the Buffalo being a lot harder to use. Mostly, there is just nothing about the ship to make you go "wow". Again, the ship is good enough to grind through, but people aren’t going to come back to it, they aren’t going to by port slots, and they aren’t going to buy permanent cammo. "Fun" on that ship would either be the Baltimore’s gun’s, or perhaps an eupgraded armor scheme so Buffalo could be a uniquely tough cruiser in the line. 

None of the new ships are horrible, but they are all kinda just steps on he way to tier ten. 

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
4,252 posts
12,250 battles

I've ran my Normandie & De Grasse in Newport & Aegis with success. I've won both with 5 stars when there was not a Cleveland in the battle. I ran the Cleveland more often and had my top scores with the Cleveland in both operations. While I haven't topped 200 hits with my De Grasse in Aegis & have came close. I top 200 several times with my Cleveland.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,773 posts
13,346 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Not playing DDs. Thats how my game has changed.

Yeah same here and CVs being used little less. Pretty much only getting to use BBs now because of all the Radar and AA. Am making use of some of my KM and IJN CAs as well though, but mainly BBs since enemy team is all Cruisers and BBs.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

shot-18_06.01_00_27.29-0284.thumb.jpg.d438b7272e390ee238cdd877e907cfa4.jpg

... well, it's a fun time to be a Hindenburg.

• Cool 2

[A_51]
[A_51]
Members
86 posts
25,256 battles

I normally play DDs, but with all of these radar cruisers, it makes playing DDs harder. My win rate has dropped to 52% last couple of days. Nothing like sinking Cleveland and hearing them complain about us sneaky DD players. 

• Cool 1