Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

USN Cruiser Buffs - recommendations?

27 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,145 posts

Well so far so good but compared to the competition, as expected, they are lacking in two areas:

1. #1 - Main Battery Range
  2. #2 - Torpedoes

I realize the gun determines the range so okay... but I really do believe the "new" Cleveland needs a 16 to 16.4 km range. Just mho. 

Torpedoes of course would be awesome... but I know that's never gonna happen. 

What do you guys think/feel/believe about the new Cleveland? tiafcy

Members
22 posts
1,746 battles

I really wish they gave the Indianapolis more of a buff.  

I literally don't even notice the rudder shift buff and while I could certainly agree with the turret rotation buff, again, it did not see to me to be much different.

Reload, Turret, & Rudder shifts would make it a much different ship.

Members
1,776 posts
6,729 battles

I am playing the Cleveland without the range upgrade. Like how she is now and I don’t need the upgrade. I can still hit ships reliable, also got some really good battles.

On the other hand I am not much of a 10 minute island camper. 

Edit: Let me clarify; I hop from island to island so that I stay close with the front force. This way I am ready to counter DDs. I like the stock range module. Makes me able to stay in an effective range and to easily lose concealment. Extra range will make her worse, because people will sit behind an island for an entire game. 

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,087 posts
17,161 battles
7 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I realize the gun determines the range

Fire director height does.

Also, there's more to a ship than just gun range. Wait for them to have been out for more than a day and see how they actually perform before asking for buffs?

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,145 posts
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

Also, there's more to a ship than just gun range. Wait for them to have been out for more than a day and see how they actually perform before asking for buffs?

I'm sure you've played them more than a day. You like the Cleveland with 14km range? 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,087 posts
17,161 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'm sure you've played them more than a day. You like the Cleveland with 14km range? 

I certainly did not like it with more range, since the shells take bloody forever to get where you're aiming and have a tea-party on the moon before reaching it.

And liking it or not is irrelevant. If it performs ok, it does not need a buff. This isn't rocket science.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,145 posts
11 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I am playing the Cleveland without the range upgrade. Like how she is now and I don’t need the upgrade. I can still hit ships reliable, also got some really good battles.

On the other hand I am not much of a 10 minute island camper. 

Edit: Let me clarify; I hop from island to island so that I stay close with the front force. This way I am ready to counter DDs. I like the stock range module. Makes me able to stay in an effective range and to easily lose concealment. Extra range will make her worse, because people will sit behind an island for an entire game. 

I managed a decent game today in the Clevland... 98K dmg, second only to a BB by just a few thousand. We lost but she performed well. My reasoning about asking simply has to do with range/equipment. The "new" Cleveland has about a 1km range boost over an Atlanta plus radar. Great for DD hunting, as I have a 9.x concealment. Open up though and now you're spotted for 14km. Meh. But rate of fire? Atlanta. 

So I'm thinking maybe it's time to simply play the Atlanta and be done with it, as 1km isn't a big deal. Baltimore's a bit better with 15.x km range. 

And pondering the two separate lines now... it will be interesting to see how it plays out on the next drop. 

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles
26 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well so far so good but compared to the competition, as expected, they are lacking in two areas:

1. #1 - Main Battery Range

I realize the gun determines the range so okay... but I really do believe the "new" Cleveland needs a 16 to 16.4 km range. Just mho.

The issue is, can you hit any moving target at 16 km? Cause even at 15km I personally struggle with the gun arcs and shell travel time.

• Cool 1

Members
6,014 posts
6,965 battles

I'd like for the max gun range from NO to Buffalo to actually increase as you go up the tiers. I honestly think it's a little silly that the T7 has nearly a kilometer of range on the T9. It doesn't even have to be a large difference. With NO having 16.1km range, it  could easily be Baltimore with 16.4/16.5km and Buffalo with 16.6 - 16.8km, rather than the current 15.8(Baltimore)and 15.5(Buffalo).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,145 posts
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

The issue is, can you hit any moving target at 16 km? Cause even at 15km I personally struggle with the gun arcs and shell travel time.

Actually yes, I can with other cruisers. This one, don't know.

Which goes back to my comment about "the gun" not so much the "fire director height". It has been stated in the past on this forum by a number of folks, the guns range could not be extended without flattening the arc otherwise what's the point? If they altered the arc for the gun then it would probably affect all other guns of the same caliber. Etc... 

The gun arcs are familiar to me because they've been around for a long time. The only advice on hitting long shots like that is to attempt to guesstimate what the red will do before they do it, so when they get where they didn't know they were going, your rounds are there to greet them. 

[-K-]
Members
7,907 posts
13,067 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

You're sure on point today, aren't you? :cap_like:

Beta Testers
1,528 posts
8,139 battles

This thread went from potential US Cruiser buffs to analyzing Lert's comments. Next, we need cat pictures! hahaha

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,087 posts
17,161 battles
1 minute ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Next, we need cat pictures! hahaha

That's easy.

N0ZTavp.jpg

o9j4YQP.gif

avnhoaZ.jpg

0OrpN1V.jpg

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,802 posts
21,848 battles

Main Battery range is fine.

Cleveland's gun range is fine, in addition, it is typical for many Cruisers in Tier VIII.  Mogami-155, Atago with her 203mm guns, several more Cruisers at this tier have this typical range.

You will never see Torpedoes on these USN Cruisers past Omaha because the United States Navy pulled them due to them being a danger to the ship.

Cleveland is fine.  It's not OP and it's not weak, either.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles

Playing against them in ranked last night, Cleveland was not impressive.  Baltimore seems nice.  My Takao shredded the Clevelands though.  They were meat on the table.  Indy's rudder buff is nice.  Turret rotation buff is not necessary.  What she really needs is the option to equip a heal in place of her radar.

Beta Testers
742 posts
5,607 battles

As I said elsewhere - Cleveland has gone from decent to 'just another crap HE spammer that can lob over mountains'.  Which is exactly what WG wants lately; theyve done everything possible to encourage the very poor gameplay of 'spam HE for the win'. Baltimore is at least reasonably useful with its 203MMs.

Alpha Tester
4,275 posts
6,061 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 8:24 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You will never see Torpedoes on these USN Cruisers past Omaha because the United States Navy pulled them due to them being a danger to the ship.

You know, I've never been very keen on this explanation. Is there actually a source for this, or is it one of those "everybody knows" sorts of things? WRT the latter, issues with torpedo fires or explosions as a result of damage seem confined not just to IJN ships, but to IJN cruisers specifically.

More probably to me, USN cruisers did not carry torpedoes because the USN did not have a doctrine that emphasised torpedo attack or the leadership of torpedo forces by cruisers. USN torpedoes were relatively poor as a result of this, making them ill-suited to usage aboard a cruiser had their presence even been desired.

[70]
Members
1,211 posts
6,662 battles

Buffalo range and camo combo is AIDS compared to my permacamoed pre-nerf NO (from a certain collection)

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
767 posts
5,899 battles
3 hours ago, Aetreus said:

You know, I've never been very keen on this explanation. Is there actually a source for this, or is it one of those "everybody knows" sorts of things? WRT the latter, issues with torpedo fires or explosions as a result of damage seem confined not just to IJN ships, but to IJN cruisers specifically.

More probably to me, USN cruisers did not carry torpedoes because the USN did not have a doctrine that emphasised torpedo attack or the leadership of torpedo forces by cruisers. USN torpedoes were relatively poor as a result of this, making them ill-suited to usage aboard a cruiser had their presence even been desired.

Combo of both...many senior USN leaders in the 1930s were concerned with potential damage and around same time war games showed torpedoes’ lack of impact compared to improved gunnery. ( Per Friedman’s cruiser history)

[THREE]
Members
2,274 posts
12,217 battles
On 5/31/2018 at 11:29 AM, ScrapmasterFlex said:

I really wish they gave the Indianapolis more of a buff.  

I literally don't even notice the rudder shift buff and while I could certainly agree with the turret rotation buff, again, it did not see to me to be much different.

Reload, Turret, & Rudder shifts would make it a much different ship.

Hey

Even with the recent buff's (while noticeable, doesn't help it's survivability), they just aren't enough to breathe new life into it.  It really needs attention to it's armour and HP, because it eats damage from ALL angles and from all ships, even bow on it dies quickly.  I'm debating about selling it, for a second time, this time will be for good if I do.

Pete

Sign in to follow this