You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Murcc

Where are all these "noob" players coming from

56 comments in this topic

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,495 posts
10,318 battles

This is mostly a rant.

Before I get hammered, I put "noob" in as a general term for players that don't seem to have all the game concepts down.  It fits in WOWS in most instances.

With the drop of the US cruiser split, there have been a lot of US cruisers, and many others as well.  I am seeing a larger than normal group of players that don't seem to get the game.  And yes, they always seem to be on my team.....that's the way it works.  Where's my tinfoil hat?  Many games, I have seen green gobs of ships in the starting cap.  Or perhaps everyone thinks they should run to one side of the map.  Those have been the staple of poor gameplay for a long time.  Now, we have higher tier cruiser players that think they should be contesting the cap in the first 3 minutes of a game.  Nothing more frustrating than being down 4 or 5 ships in the first 5 minutes of a T8 - T10 match because a bunch of cruiser players thought they should park broadside in the cap 10kmm from a bunch of enemy BBs.  Or there's the other extreme, where half the team is holding the B line behind the spawn location. 

I have lost so many games where I have been top XP earner by quite a margin, and I'm typically an overly aggressive player.  Am I that good?  Noooooooo!  I am slightly above average at best.  So, if I am doubling the XP of my team, then the team is crap.  Yes, I've had great games where I overachieved and scored big.   But when I'm being aggressive and the game is over in under 8min and I am top scorer with 1100XP in a loss and the rest of the team barely got to 400XP, there is a problem.  Its especially a problem since I have usually been one of the more aggressive players and still lived longer than most of my team.  Once in awhile, it's going to happen.  But, I have been on this ride for about 2 months now.  I even took some time off to get away from the game to avoid the frustration.  That is a first for me since the beginning of WOWS.  I came back at the beginning of the US cruiser split, to try out the new cruisers.  And, its just as bad or worst than it was before.  I am not good enough to carry matches on a regular basis, although I have carried a few.  I'm just not consistent enough to be that guy.  However, that is not even an option when you don't have time to adjust to the battlefield because half your team is gone in 5 minutes and you are running for your life.

I don't know what the solution is, but I also don't know if I want to continue playing and spending money being frustrated.  That is where I'm at.  I've stuck it out and played regularly since the start.  Even the victories I have experienced lately resulted in stomps of the other team.  That wasn't fun either.  Now, I'm not finding it as relaxing as it once was, because the losses are just too one sided. 

Anyone else feel the same?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,079 posts
17,127 battles

Without noobs, who would average players like me farm for damage?

If you're putting expectations on other human beings you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. I find it's a lot better for my bloodpressure to expect absolutely nothing from other players. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

People care too much about things outside of their control, to the point they're letting it affect them.

• Cool 9

[TSF_1]
Members
3,298 posts
7,484 battles

Most players don't invest much time into learning. It's simply not fun for many, which is the point of the game. Otherwise, it's just server bloom from the new line especially in North America.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,766 posts
27,530 battles
10 minutes ago, Murcc said:

This is mostly a rant.

Before I get hammered, I put "noob" in as a general term for players that don't seem to have all the game concepts down.  It fits in WOWS in most instances.

With the drop of the US cruiser split, there have been a lot of US cruisers, and many others as well.  I am seeing a larger than normal group of players that don't seem to get the game.  And yes, they always seem to be on my team.....that's the way it works.  Where's my tinfoil hat?  Many games, I have seen green gobs of ships in the starting cap.  Or perhaps everyone thinks they should run to one side of the map.  Those have been the staple of poor gameplay for a long time.  Now, we have higher tier cruiser players that think they should be contesting the cap in the first 3 minutes of a game.  Nothing more frustrating than being down 4 or 5 ships in the first 5 minutes of a T8 - T10 match because a bunch of cruiser players thought they should park broadside in the cap 10kmm from a bunch of enemy BBs.  Or there's the other extreme, where half the team is holding the B line behind the spawn location. 

I have lost so many games where I have been top XP earner by quite a margin, and I'm typically an overly aggressive player.  Am I that good?  Noooooooo!  I am slightly above average at best.  So, if I am doubling the XP of my team, then the team is crap.  Yes, I've had great games where I overachieved and scored big.   But when I'm being aggressive and the game is over in under 8min and I am top scorer with 1100XP in a loss and the rest of the team barely got to 400XP, there is a problem.  Its especially a problem since I have usually been one of the more aggressive players and still lived longer than most of my team.  Once in awhile, it's going to happen.  But, I have been on this ride for about 2 months now.  I even took some time off to get away from the game to avoid the frustration.  That is a first for me since the beginning of WOWS.  I came back at the beginning of the US cruiser split, to try out the new cruisers.  And, its just as bad or worst than it was before.  I am not good enough to carry matches on a regular basis, although I have carried a few.  I'm just not consistent enough to be that guy.  However, that is not even an option when you don't have time to adjust to the battlefield because half your team is gone in 5 minutes and you are running for your life.

I don't know what the solution is, but I also don't know if I want to continue playing and spending money being frustrated.  That is where I'm at.  I've stuck it out and played regularly since the start.  Even the victories I have experienced lately resulted in stomps of the other team.  That wasn't fun either.  Now, I'm not finding it as relaxing as it once was, because the losses are just too one sided. 

Anyone else feel the same?

I've been seeing this the past couple of weeks. Going to cap, engaging like normal and I see multiple dev strikes to my team. At least 50% of the time (and that's not an exaggeration) my team is down 3-4 ships inside the first 5 minutes. People sitting in smoke being torped and sailing broadside to BBs is epidemic lately.

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Nersters Noob Farm 

Buy a Dozen Git 2 dozen Free

For the best deals in the WG

Go to NERSTERS NOOB FARM

or call 1 800 Noob

• Funny 4

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,495 posts
10,318 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

If you're putting expectations on other human beings you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. I find it's a lot better for my bloodpressure to expect absolutely nothing from other people. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

^^ I generally agree.  However, it would be nice to at least have a few average games.  Usually, in the past the bad and good were just brief streaks that averaged out over time.  I am on a 2 month bad streak.  Where is my good streak to average it out?   LOL.

I expect players to be average.  Not good.  Just average with the odd "below average" thrown in.  Once in a while I see "great", which is nice.  I'd love to at least be able to farm damage.  Can't even do that when the entire enemy team is on you because you are all that remains.  :Smile_sad:

[WOLF7]
Members
12,410 posts
4 minutes ago, Murcc said:

^^ I generally agree.  However, it would be nice to at least have a few average games.  Usually, in the past the bad and good were just brief streaks that averaged out over time.  I am on a 2 month bad streak.  Where is my good streak to average it out?   LOL.

I expect players to be average.  Not good.  Just average with the odd "below average" thrown in.  Once in a while I see "great", which is nice.  I'd love to at least be able to farm damage.  Can't even do that when the entire enemy team is on you because you are all that remains.  :Smile_sad:

You can't be average in this game unless you take the time to learn the mechanics.

Since the vast majority of players who play this game refuse to learn them, your idea of average will never meet their idea of average.

For better or worse, this game is populated by casual players who treat it like a phone game, sail ships, shoot stuff, look at the pretty explosions and move on. 

From someone who has spent that last 2.5 years in port chat trying to help players I can tell you now...they don't want to invest the time to learn....:Smile_amazed:

Perfect example from last night...a guy is having problems playing higher tier DD's, I look at his stats and he has 250 random games, playing in tier 8.....

I suggested that he go back to lower tiers and invest some time in learning the game, and he didn't want to hear it.....

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,079 posts
17,127 battles
3 minutes ago, Murcc said:

I expect players to be average.  Not good.  Just average with the odd "below average" thrown in.

See, there's your problem. You're expecting too much. With the way 'average' works, half this game's population is worse than 'average'. Plus, even the best player derps out every once in a while. Hell, I played so bad yesterday I lost credits in Musashi.

In my personal experience it's not even half-and-half, the below average and above average players. In my experience the really great players are performing so well that they pull up the averages, and there are a lot more players who are moderately below average than there are truly good players - something I assuredly do not count myself as. I derp way too often.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Influx of new players is my guess. I've seen a lot of people earn veteran and legend of the seas this year.

[SEALZ]
Members
664 posts
7,479 battles

Could be a few things. What you see as “new” players could be returning players hyped about the cruiser split. Summer is on now for the majority of schools in the United States which could also be a factor. You could also just be experiencing a string of bad matchmaking, happens to everyone.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Surprised no one’s said ‘school’s out’ as an answer yet... :Smile_hiding:

That's it !

The Teachers got nothing to do now.

[KSE]
[KSE]
Privateers
345 posts
11,785 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

See, there's your problem. You're expecting too much. With the way 'average' works, half this game's population is worse than 'average'. Plus, even the best player derps out every once in a while. Hell, I played so bad yesterday I lost credits in Musashi.

In my personal experience it's not even half-and-half, the below average and above average players. In my experience the really great players are performing so well that they pull up the averages, and there are a lot more players who are moderately below average than there are truly good players - something I assuredly do not count myself as. I derp way too often.

This,  so much this.  I don't get this notion that everyone needs to be a pro at the game or it's not worth playing.  Everyone has their reasons.  Some just don't get the finer points. Some don't give a darn in randoms but are otherwise decent players.  Some are having bad days.  Sometimes it's a little bit of all of this (guilty myself). Why is the natural response to blame everyone else without making some effort to help them? Corollary to that,  where has personal responsibility gone?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,079 posts
17,127 battles
1 minute ago, TheBigM145 said:

where has personal responsibility gone?

I don't think that's taught anymore.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
[KSE]
Privateers
345 posts
11,785 battles

Indeed.  Point was this,  there's one common element to every bad team you've been on...

• Funny 1

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
148 posts
10,008 battles
33 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Most players don't invest much time into learning. It's simply not fun for many, which is the point of the game. Otherwise, it's just server bloom from the new line especially in North America.

It's mostly this. Your typical casual player is not going to invest any free time into guides, watching YouTube videos, or reading Wiki articles to better understand the game and improve. They just want to jump in to chill and shoot other ships; winning or loosing don't matter to them. And this same pattern applies to other online games as well.

But there are those that do want to improve for various reasons, but have no idea where to find that knowledge or where to start.

[PVE]
Members
1,325 posts
36,508 battles

A lost in random pays more then a win in co-op. So up the credits and xp in co-op and that mite help keep us bad players out of random.

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,761 posts
13,339 battles
44 minutes ago, Lert said:

Lol easy, just farm Damage and kills off the Unicum players. Or at least that is what I do in WOT Blitz. The Unicums are so logical in how they fight that I can actually predict them far easier than the “noob“ players. Players that just mindlessly play are little trickier to predict since how does one logically predict where the noobs will show up? They can be fearful, kamikaze, careless, lucky, or simply inexperienced.

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
148 posts
10,008 battles
3 minutes ago, cecill611 said:

A lost in random pays more then a win in co-op. So up the credits and xp in co-op and that mite help keep us bad players out of random.

I doubt they will consider that since having rewards close to what you get in Random can lead to players moving over just to farm it. Because in that mode you can complete a typical game in around 5 minutes, less time than a typical Random game. So that's more games you can put in per hour and is just asking to get abused.

Members
382 posts

The list of things that points to the most likely outcome of a game:

No camouflage  (because who doesn’t want to be noticed sooner in a crowd)

No flags (don’t want to be accused of unfair advantage)

Broadsiding your ships (because you need to see how sexy my citadel is)

Spawn Camping (because they may not deliver your pizza further out)

AFK (saving the fuel for an important battle)

Noob decisions (because texting, tweeting and snapping lags the brain)

Pink ships (friendlies are closer for shooting and torping)

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,492 battles

OP we all, you included were NOOBS to start with. Hopefully more will join everyday

[NGA-A]
Members
76 posts
6,910 battles
21 minutes ago, TheBigM145 said:

where has personal responsibility gone?

@TheBigM145, You mean we have to be accountable for our actions?  That's not fair!!