You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ken_McGuire

Why IFHE is required

13 comments in this topic

[TDG]
Beta Testers
16 posts
2,910 battles

Just for laughs, I decided to take the Cleveland out into a co-op with the captain WG gave us. I will fully admit that there are way better players out there, but I found some dramatic results.

6 HE hits on a Buffalo for a total of zero damage. 3 AP hits for 1853 damage...

3 HE hits on a Kiev for a total of 849 damage - and 2 fires for 930 more damage

51 HI hits on a Cleveland for a total of 4719 damage - and 3 fires for 3593 more damage. 4 AP hits, but by the time I shot he was no longer broadside and so no damage.

It would really have been nice if the tier 8 ship they gave us wasn't gimped with only a 8 point captain....

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles

Counter point.
Be happy they even gave you the ship at T8 for free, and you got a free 8 point captain while retaining the one that was on your Cleveland before the split.  

Members
672 posts
2,902 battles

The CLs are probably going to need some help in order to shine.  Compared to the RN they give up torps, smoke, super-heals, loony-tunes engine physics, and enhanced AP in exchange for HE that requires mandatory IFHE and an extra consumable slot.  

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,087 posts
17,156 battles
2 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Be happy they even gave you the ship at T8 for free, and you got a free 8 point captain while retaining the one that was on your Cleveland before the split.  

You know it doesn't work like that. Everything given for free is still not good enough. Something something gift horse.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,093 posts
7,217 battles
3 minutes ago, Ken_McGuire said:

It would really have been nice if the tier 8 ship they gave us wasn't gimped with only a 8 point captain....

Well, they stuck your Cleveland captain in your Pensacola. Play one game in your Pensa, and you get 190K elite XP. Use that to retrain your original captain back to Cleveland, or use it on the new Cleveland captain.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,093 posts
7,217 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Something something gift horse.

I've always hated that saying. Of course if someone offers me a free animal, I'm going to check it out to see if it carries disease or not.

Maybe you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but you get nothing for nothing, so you have to wonder what's in it for the person giving you a free horse lol.

Members
93 posts
6,977 battles

For kicks, because I'm tired of playing so many ships the same way, I'm going full AA spec for my Cleveland.  I still see CVs often enough at t8 that I'm hoping to surprise people.  So IFHE might not make it to my commander until he gets really close to max level.  For now I went with BFT and AFT on my 10 pt captain.  Is it the optimal cleve build?  No.  But it gives me some playstyle variety, and that's what I want.

• Cool 1

Members
672 posts
2,902 battles
1 minute ago, Ceesa said:

For kicks, because I'm tired of playing so many ships the same way, I'm going full AA spec for my Cleveland.  I still see CVs often enough at t8 that I'm hoping to surprise people.  So IFHE might not make it to my commander until he gets really close to max level.  For now I went with BFT and AFT on my 10 pt captain.  Is it the optimal cleve build?  No.  But it gives me some playstyle variety, and that's what I want.

The problem is - you really can't get away with full AA Spec (Or even finding a way to just get AFT), especially given the lack of CVs in most games.  IFHE and CE are absolutely mandatory.  SI is not mandatory per-say, but you're hamstringing your strong consumable advantage if you don't take it.  

[EQRN]
Members
1,828 posts
15,223 battles

Thing about IFHE is the class that needs it the most have to have CE first, so by the time you get 14 points... you’re in a heavy cruiser or the one line that can’t fire HE (as of 7.5)

Now make it a 3pt skill (with less pen chance for balance) and some of those early tier light cruisers become more fun :)

Edited by FrodoFraggin

[TBW]
Members
9,546 posts
16,311 battles
40 minutes ago, Ken_McGuire said:

Play the Pensacola get your Elite commander xp and put two more points on the 8 point captain.

[A-I-M]
Members
2,564 posts
12,042 battles
1 hour ago, Ken_McGuire said:

You get 190,000 Elite Commander XP as part of the package. IF you know how to get it. It is fairly well-publicized.

There is therefore no need to let that commander remain at eight points.

You can also move and retrain prior Cleveland commander with those 190,000 Elite XP. For 200K in credits  and only 62,500 of that commander XP, my prior 12-pointer for Cleveland was back at the helm. For another 12,500 of that commander XP, I put an existing, unused 10-point captain on Baltimore. Much cheaper than bringing the new 8-pointer up to 10 points.

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

IFHE is mandatory for all ships with 150-180mm guns (except those with 1/4 pen) and I would argue potentially beneficial for some 203mm CAs due to the large number of 38mm plates seen on the high tier USN BBs, depending on the rest of your build. 

You can have good games without IFHE (especially if you get a lot of fire damage) but statistically you will deal a LOT MORE with IFHE, even if you played the exact same game twice. 

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,580 battles
1 hour ago, Ceesa said:

Now your learning boy O have some fun!