You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

Where have all the DDs gone???

91 comments in this topic

Members
1,352 posts
16,549 battles

The DD mafia likes to talk big and walks with a swagger but put a lot of new cruisers into the game and they start hiding. I guess that could be one counter to radar...just don't play the game. :Smile_glasses: 

It'll be a while before we return to those 4 or 5 DD per team games we all love so much.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 3

[BNKR]
Members
555 posts
3,577 battles

It is almost as if people don't want to play a class of ship when the queue is full of ships meant to counter said class.

So weird...

:Smile_teethhappy:

Flip side: Almost no CVs, either. 

Edited by MajorEnglush
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
385 posts
5,070 battles

It will be worse when the 7.6 update drops, lots of light cruisers at tier 6, and then 7, with Cleveland already out at tier 8 to go with the US Heavies already in the que.  Carriers and DD are going to be somewhat scarce for a while.  Meanwhile BBs should be cruiser hunting, just use your cruisers for scouts and follow them.

[--K--]
Members
5,327 posts
16,612 battles

I played Destroyers last night and did just fine. But if I was to guess why the numbers were so low it might have something to do with several new ships sporting radar. Or the that some of the new campaign tasks require running USN Cruisers. A lot of Destroyer players also run Cruisers because if you can't farm BB tears from HE spam than you're not getting a full harvest after you bring in those Smoke Screen and Torps Tears. 

I think I saw 144 cruisers in the Tier 8 cue. Must be a record. 

• Cool 1

[BEARS]
Members
256 posts
11,537 battles

had a bunch of 4 dd per side games yesterday.

people are playing em radar spam be damned.

the only real drawback is the us cruisers dont have torps and i need to spot 150 torps while in a dd for a mission.

[TDRB]
Members
4,259 posts
12,279 battles

Davy Jones opened a new tavern for DD skippers. I almost feel sorry for the rogue class of ships. 6 Cleveland's in one battle. It look like all 60 guns were firing at the single enemy DD in one battle. When 7.6 goes live in a month or so it will be more of the same for DD's. Many will be farming XP on their Cleveland this month for the Seattle.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,713 posts
12,162 battles
7 minutes ago, Dareios said:

I dont know, I had fun playing bait the buffalo with my shima.

Yup. Bait them into shooting at you so they are bloomed for your entire team to see and shoot.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,885 posts
13,620 battles
4 minutes ago, 1dennistt said:

It will be worse when the 7.6 update drops, lots of light cruisers at tier 6, and then 7, with Cleveland already out at tier 8 to go with the US Heavies already in the que.  Carriers and DD are going to be somewhat scarce for a while.  Meanwhile BBs should be cruiser hunting, just use your cruisers for scouts and follow them.

Carriers have been scarce for some time now particularly above tier 6.

[MKF]
Members
548 posts
20,093 battles
18 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

The DD mafia likes to talk big and walks with a swagger but put a lot of new cruisers into the game and they start hiding. I guess that could be one counter to radar...just don't play the game. :Smile_glasses: 

It'll be a while before we return to those 4 or 5 DD per team games we all love so much.

Or they switched to BBs for a few days to farm cruisers, my Monty has enjoyed this 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[BEARS]
Members
256 posts
11,537 battles

whats kind of disappointing is that at the end of game you see that the team only did around 12k damage against the 7 ships you had perma spotted the first half of the match.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,829 battles
22 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

It’s kinda a thankless job spotting for your team these days in  DDs theses days with tiny rewards for doing it and with lots of Radar  .. it ain’t easy

• Cool 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
370 posts
17,858 battles

I may be a DD main...but after looking at the que yesterday. I switched to BB to pop cruisers like zits...lol

*Salute*

• Cool 6

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
325 posts
7,394 battles

Let's see, 5-7 radar ships per team...30-45 sec radar duration....2 minute radar cooldown per ship....non-stop radar for the whole match.  Good times.   :Smile_facepalm:

It's also not just DD"s, it's anything with smoke - UK Cruisers, Huange, Perth, etc...are all hosed right now.

Edited by digitaljustice
  • Cool 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
370 posts
17,858 battles

Pure hell....but at least with so many cruisers....they can cap...Pfft..hahaha

[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,145 posts
19,128 battles

I'm still flying my destroyer just got to be a little more careful with all the radar

But I found  I'm enjoying playing battleships right now to So many cruisers to pop

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
370 posts
17,858 battles

I think the PA line may be the way to go on this one. I've been grinding the Asashio which has the range to stay out of harms way but just not the same. 

[SIDE]
Members
3,609 posts
9 minutes ago, digitaljustice said:

Let's see, 5-7 radar ships per team...30-45 sec radar duration....2 minute radar cooldown per ship....non-stop radar for the whole match.  Good times.   :Smile_facepalm:

It's also not just DD"s, it's anything with smoke - UK Cruisers, Huange, Perth, etc...are all hosed right now.

Only a problem if radar ships are all clustered within gun range of each other, cascade their radars and don’t scatter as soon as they get shot at. Good luck finding a scenario like that. 

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
325 posts
7,394 battles
10 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Only a problem if radar ships are all clustered within gun range of each other, cascade their radars and don’t scatter as soon as they get shot at. Good luck finding a scenario like that. 

You must be playing a different game than the ones I played last night, the teams are afraid to leave their own spawns because of all the radar, so yes they are clustered together.

Edited by digitaljustice

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,059 posts
4,304 battles

I love how its always the dd players who complain. I just find it kinda funny

[TDRB]
Members
4,259 posts
12,279 battles

It’s kinda a thankless job spotting for your team these days in  DDs theses days with tiny rewards for doing it and with lots of Radar  .. it ain’t easy

I do wish WG would find a way to reward "team play" more.  I think the spotting ribbon is a step in the right direction but it is a single step.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Why should I play a ship that I am actively punished for playing?

The only worthwhile ship to play right now is a battleship.

A game where destroyers are unplayable is exactly what the BaBBies wanted. Now you're complaining about getting what you complained so hard for?

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Funny 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,413 posts
11,077 battles

Played the shim once last night.  Trust me I didn't take a cap.  But I made sure the Yamato and MOs had to put themselves in rocks to dodge my torps.  I died only when I was finally pinned down by radar and a rock towards the end of the game.  Sorry DM, I still got you with my torps.

Trust me most of the DD players play BBs.  Oh I got the Mushi finally lol.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,489 posts
17,065 battles

I play a good bit of BB, CA, and DD nowadays.  I still just play whatever I feel like at the time.  Be it the ship type or the tier.  I don't feel like playing CAs right now. I don't know if it's because the queue is full of them of if I just don't feel like it in general.  I played BBs and DDs last night.  For the most part, things went well.  Even killed a Buffalo in my Asashio, while wrecking havoc on the enemy BBs with long range torps, spotting for the team, and taking two caps.

Although I'm not a DD unicum by any measure, I'm pretty sure most will tell you that they are perfectly comfortable in the current environment.  Most are well acquainted with the experience of being thrown a MM full of radar ships.  Those DD captains know how to adjust their play to accommodate those MM.  Sure, the chances of getting that MM is much higher now.   So the likelihood of having to adjust appropriately is much higher.  But they are still going to be effective....if not more so...given DD stock goes up exponentially as the number of DDs goes down.