You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Summon3r

french bb?

19 comments in this topic

Members
107 posts
5,585 battles

Smaller guns lacking in overmatch but very good penetration, and can run very fast.

This is also one of the most diverse BB line in playstyle.

[5D]
Members
930 posts
12,118 battles

The last 2 in the line have really good secondary, fast speed compared to the USN line. Republic got the fastest reload

Edited by dad003

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,114 posts
20,350 battles

I find them to be a riot starting at Normandie, and Lyon is one of my favorites.  They do struggle against BBs but I try to focus cruisers first.  You choose your shots and you can clear the floor.

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,939 battles

Those 3 answers are all very solid.

Speed is apparent early.

Secondaries start to be useful at t6, and get better.

The guns are tricky but still good. You must more than other lines consider switching HE from/to AP, based on your target. Both are good, neither is great. Accuracy is ok, and distance ok.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
29 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

whats their thing? guns seem very underwhelming

Be more specific, which ship?

Normandie and Lyon rely on sheer volume of fire. AP is pretty weak and has weak penetration over distance, but you generally should be firing HE at long range. The volume of fire compensates for the weak guns.

Richleu/Gascogne have universally good AP and HE, and have excellent shell velocity. Richleu has excellent armor, while Gascogne has excellent maneuverability and handling.

Alsace is just an amazing ship, pure and simple. The AP is mediocre, but ffs the ship has 12 guns. Players that spam AP all the time generally dont do well with this ship. You need to know when to switch to HE. HE is REALLY good, especially if you spec Demo Expert AND AFT+Manual Secondaries. This converts the ship into a devastating fire spammer, hell you can fight a conqueror 1 on 1 and come out on top if you stay within secondary range. Anything within 11km will typically have 2-3 fires on it.

Republique is a complicated ship to play, its an outstanding flanker and has both the speed and armor to fight anything 1 on 1 ... but it lacks endurance when being focused down. Fires are a huge concern, especially when facing ships like Zao and Hindy. Secondaries, although technically better than those on Alsace are problematic to spec into. While Alsace can remain competitive with a secondary build, the same cannot be said about Republique. The ship has too many areas that need improvement (Concealment, endurance, fire prevention). So its generally best to stay away from secondary builds and just spec BOS/Fire Prevention + Concealment. Its played as a flanker, push up one side of the field and if you bite off more than you can chew - stop shooting, hide and turn away.

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
3 hours ago, Summon3r said:

whats their thing? guns seem very underwhelming

Which ones are you playing? I don't get that same feeling while playing Normandie or Lyon.

2 hours ago, c3shooter said:

The guns are tricky but still good.

And you get so many of them, LOL!

2 hours ago, Summon3r said:

ok thx, only playing t4 right now, soon to be moving  on t 5

Hang in there, they get MUCH better!

[WOLF8]
Members
6,604 posts
5,801 battles

Since no one mentioned about it...

Tier V Britagne is just like the standard USN BB. Slow, in both speed and turret traverse, lol. And even softer armor, yikes. BUT! There's a big but here... lel... her secondaries are pretty much equal to Konig, and fires all HE, which is quite remarkable for a ship at that tier. Not that it's useful or anything... since trying to brawl will get you killed most of the time, due to the aforementioned soft armor, lul.

For all other ships in the line, see above posts from other people. x3

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,939 battles
4 hours ago, Summon3r said:

ok thx, only playing t4 right now, soon to be moving  on t 5

Thanks to container prizes, i skipped ove the t4. The Bretagne was basically my NY all over again. I liked NY, and felt right at home there, so that i leave up to you.

Normandie will start to feel different than other BBs for sure. There were very solid answers in this post from all the previous posters.

Enjoy your run up the line.

[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles

Just as a general rule, the 15 inch guns of the French Battleships start having better penetration than everybody else within 14km where the alpha damage starts to skyrocket.  Outside of that range, they are somewhat ineffective with AP.

[CWGC]
Members
828 posts
2,691 battles

ok so now, capt skills? just got 190k elite capt points for my pensacola... whats route for these bb's? spec secondaries?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
14 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

ok so now, capt skills? just got 190k elite capt points for my pensacola... whats route for these bb's? spec secondaries?

My Richelieu/Dunkerque runs: PT, PM, EM, BoS, CE, AFT, Manual Secondaries. Though I am still debating on switching PM to IFA and CE to Manual AA. My Normandie and Lyon will most likely get the similar skills when the COs are leveled high enough. Generally speaking, the 340mm and 380mm guns all feel great. They may be "weaker" on some aspects but they always hit hard and on point compared to my Nagato and my Iowa. Their secondaries are also great in their range.

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

From what I've seen in the Battleships forums, they are primarily about  asking when they're getting a subforum of their own :cap_hmm:

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

I equipped mine (Lyon) primarily for suvivability.  PM; EM; AR; BoS; and FP.   I'm still at 12 points, as I got this from a container mission, and started here.    For upgrades, I took Damage Control 1 and 2, plus the DCP special upgrade.  Aiming Systems was my only offensive choice.   It's worked very well for me, I'm aggressive in it, and frequently brawl.   The secondaries contribute a LOT of damage that way, and I normally have no issues with staying alive.

All in all, it's one of my favorite BB's, and a keeper.

[AK-49]
Members
340 posts
6,010 battles

My Courbet moves like a pig. Slow, not maneuverable. I find it performs best as a base defender, dealing with all the action that comes to it rather than hunting down prey itself. It can't keep up with the CA's and DD's so can end up being alone in hostile waters very easily. 

[LUCK]
Members
1,771 posts
27,637 battles
13 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

Be more specific, which ship?

Normandie and Lyon rely on sheer volume of fire. AP is pretty weak and has weak penetration over distance, but you generally should be firing HE at long range. The volume of fire compensates for the weak guns.

Richleu/Gascogne have universally good AP and HE, and have excellent shell velocity. Richleu has excellent armor, while Gascogne has excellent maneuverability and handling.

Alsace is just an amazing ship, pure and simple. The AP is mediocre, but ffs the ship has 12 guns. Players that spam AP all the time generally dont do well with this ship. You need to know when to switch to HE. HE is REALLY good, especially if you spec Demo Expert AND AFT+Manual Secondaries. This converts the ship into a devastating fire spammer, hell you can fight a conqueror 1 on 1 and come out on top if you stay within secondary range. Anything within 11km will typically have 2-3 fires on it.

Republique is a complicated ship to play, its an outstanding flanker and has both the speed and armor to fight anything 1 on 1 ... but it lacks endurance when being focused down. Fires are a huge concern, especially when facing ships like Zao and Hindy. Secondaries, although technically better than those on Alsace are problematic to spec into. While Alsace can remain competitive with a secondary build, the same cannot be said about Republique. The ship has too many areas that need improvement (Concealment, endurance, fire prevention). So its generally best to stay away from secondary builds and just spec BOS/Fire Prevention + Concealment. Its played as a flanker, push up one side of the field and if you bite off more than you can chew - stop shooting, hide and turn away.

Very nice explanation.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles
2 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Very nice explanation.

I've generally found AP to do great in Dunkerque, Normandie, Lyon, and Richelieu. In the end it just depends on who you are facing against and adapting to the situation. One great example I can give is Dunkerque vs King Geroge V. KGV has armor over 330mm, which is the same size as Dunkerque's gun. I was within .5km of KGV and I could not at all pen her armor. That is when it is a good time to switch to HE... maybe. Otherwise Normandie, Lyon, and Richelieu AP does great against all types of enemies. If AP does not work, try HE, if HE does not work, go back to AP. Nothing to it.

It's the same for Destroyers. I will generally shoot HE until after the second fire is up, then I would switch to AP and shoot the superstructure and get those 1000 damage hits. If that don't work, I got back to HE. (Fubuki, HSF Harekaze 100mm, Asashio, Shimakaze, and Fletcher)