Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

0.7.5 USN cruiser review day 1.

5 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

Well, I was roped back in by the new update, and just couldn't resist trying out the new (versions) cruisers.    I'm still mad at them for not giving me the camos I paid for, and because support tickets refused to work, but oh well.

Anyhow,  I started out by grinding my Lyon for a bit, just because I'm so close to finishing it. >15k now!   Not happening...  Games were chock full of players furiously farming as hard as they could with high DPM ships, and matches were over in less than 5 minutes...  Not a good time to be a BB, lol.   I did have one great game though- I said screw it!  Just yolo'd right into the middle of the map- into the middle of a bunch of US cruisers.  (I'm not THAT dumb that I'd do this if there were torp chuckers around, lol)   I ended up killing 3 in very short order, with a BIG assist from my secondaries.   Then set about wrecking the red New Mexico, until an ally popped it to end the game.   I'm still astonished sometimes by just how much carnage this ship can cause!

So I switched to grinding my Benson for a while- because it has my 19 point captain on it, and I'm gonna need ALL the E XP I can get shortly.   Not always a fun time for a DD with all the cruisers around, either, but what the hey.   I just concentrated on surviving the first few minutes- after that, things went much better!  No really noteworthy games, but I did get a bunch of e xp.   Lots of fun was had frustrating the hell out of CV's that kept trying to torpedo me.   Decided to give Kidd one more try.   Uh, nope!  NOT today.   (soon as I pulled it out, the queue was flooded with La Gals, De Grasse, and Nurnbergs...)  So I looked for a premium cruiser I could use this captain on:

And stumbled upon Atlanta.   I had HATED this ship when I played it before, and it's sat unused since.   Lots of water under the bridge since then, so- out it came.   What the?????

Is this the same ship I played before?   I had to set it up again, and went for survivability and AA.   The 19 point DD captain  really fits this ship well.   Not only did I not get blown apart every other second, I actually did well, and ENJOYED it!   Just for once, I got to be on the giving end of the firehose of doom!   Definitely a one trick pony, but that trick was a godsend in today's meta!   (I still saw no CV's while in it...)

I then set about going through each of my US cruisers from Pepsi up,  equipping all upgrades, and doling out captain skills.   Good thing I got a boatload of credits from all the changes!

Next up:  Cleveland.   Time to see how it plays at tier 8.   The answer?  Not too bad!   I got matches with mainly DD's and cruisers, so Cleve  was a weapon of mass destruction!  I do wish they'd revert the citadel nerf it got a while back, but otherwise the improvements were good, and it feels solid at this level.   In fact I actually liked it MORE than I had in the past.   I was in Co-op, so the consumables were not used.   Pretty nice to have Def fire, hydro AND radar all at the same time, though.   Makes it a nice utility cruiser with a VERY hard punch.   My hopes for the new light cruisers just went up a notch or two.

On to my baby:  Baltimore.   It feels nekkid without the heal or AA upgrade 3...  Still performs like it's old self though- AP salvos still hit like Mack trucks, and it still has greatly improved armor over Pepsi or New Orleans.   This ship is still a keeper for me.   IMO it's what a CA should be- delivering massive firepower; AA support; and with enough armor to give it an edge when fighting other cruisers.   You have to be careful around BB's, but a) you're in a cruiser- duh!  and b) it can be very effective at it.

Lastly, I took out Buffalo.  In a word?  LOVE. IT!!   It's like the navy George Thorogood'ed the Baltimore!   More of everything that made me love Baltimore- with all the stuff it lost in the down tiering.  I'm going to enjoy THIS grind!

For those who haven't seen it yet:  Remember how much it sucked to be on the recieving end of a Cleveland's firepower?    Just imagine if it had USN 8" guns!!   That's Buffalo in a nutshell.

I ended up stopping there and shutting down, as the lag and SLOOOOOWWWWWW load ins had become crippling.   I did manage to KILL a ship with my Buffalo- while stuck in load-in, lol.   Seems the usual new patch blues are with us again.   (which might explain the mini update that hit this afternoon)

Can't wait to try Pensacola and New Orleans 2.0  next time.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

With a few more games under my belt,  I feel the need to adjust my initial thinking a bit.

Buffalo...   Whomever said this is a worse Baltimore is right on the money.   SLOW to reload, SLOW to maneuver, and WHAT armor??   This thing eats citadels from just about any angle- even from 8" AP.   I want my tier 9 Baltimore back...  

Pensacola.  I still like this ship!   The traverse is a major bummer, but it still Pensacolas nicely!   It certainly didn't hurt that I blasted through the 1000FXP mission in one game- nearly doubling that, lol. (in Co-op)   Still fun to play.

Baltimore.  I miss the heal, but this ship is way better than NO at tier 8.   Using Leanders as citadel punching bags sure is fun!!  STILL my favorite US cruiser to date.

I still need to get around to playing New New Orleans.  Perhaps an ops match is in order...

Bonus review!

Richelieu.   What can I say other than P.U.   What the heck is this crap?   Horribly inaccurate- even with the accuracy upgrade.   And the reload is just too slow for a ship with only 2 turrets (that hardly hit anything)   Broadside shots at massive BB's under 12km?   Complete whiffs.    Glad I've been hoarding free xp- I'm going to need it to get past this turd.    Also, it's a very poor choice for Ops- due to it's incredible inaccuracy, and slow reload.

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

I have only been playing the Cleveland (getting exp for the T9 when it drops) and I find that it is a little undertuned due to the poor shell ballistics and large target profile. The Mogami plays the same artillery role better, while the Chapayev can radar almost as effectively and is better at engaging DDs at all but knife-fighting range. 

I think the shell drag coefficient should be turned down a bit, reducing the flight time to maximum range by ~20%. 

[SYN]
Members
2,860 posts
10,448 battles

The biggest advantage with the USN heavy cruiser retier, is the fact that now these ships have room to grow if they turn out to be underpowered. Baltimore, NOLA, and Pensacola where really out of room for further buffs in order to fit them. Now, if they turn out to be underpowered at their current tiers, its easier to buff them. Ie If baltimore still turns out underpowered, restore her hull heal. And its the same deal with buffalo. I personally felt that wargaming was a little bit too conservative when they balanced buffalo, but if buffalo turns out to be underpowered, she has a lot of room to go. She can have her HP brought up to 50,000, as she is about the same size as des moines. She could receive a 30 mm weather deck and upper belt. She can have the Rof on her guns buffed to 6 RPM. However one thing i personally like about Buffalo, is that she kites a lot better than baltimore did.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts
21 hours ago, ryuukei8569 said:

The biggest advantage with the USN heavy cruiser retier, is the fact that now these ships have room to grow if they turn out to be underpowered. Baltimore, NOLA, and Pensacola where really out of room for further buffs in order to fit them. Now, if they turn out to be underpowered at their current tiers, its easier to buff them. Ie If baltimore still turns out underpowered, restore her hull heal. And its the same deal with buffalo. I personally felt that wargaming was a little bit too conservative when they balanced buffalo, but if buffalo turns out to be underpowered, she has a lot of room to go. She can have her HP brought up to 50,000, as she is about the same size as des moines. She could receive a 30 mm weather deck and upper belt. She can have the Rof on her guns buffed to 6 RPM. However one thing i personally like about Buffalo, is that she kites a lot better than baltimore did.

That's true- having that extra turret on the stern makes Buff just as dangerous to chase as Pensacola.   I think the extra length to fit that turret is the main source of it's woes, well, that and the slow reload.   It makes it eat more shells, and turn slower.   I also think you're right about them being a touch conservative with it- after all, it has the real potential to be a monster at tier 9 if they weren't careful.  Can you imagine what it would be like with a too fast reload?   Like Minotaur with much bigger teeth!   You'd need an ammo ship with you wherever you go, lol.

Sign in to follow this