You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LordXarr

Scale Ship Models

21 comments in this topic

[APES]
Beta Testers
14 posts
4,260 battles

I am interested in buying a few scaled ship models but I dont know much about it.

What is the prefered scale? Details vs quality vs price.

What are the good manifacturer of WW2 scaled ships?

Thank you

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,719 posts

I am interested in buying a few scaled ship models but I dont know much about it.

What is the prefered scale? Details vs quality vs price.

What are the good manifacturer of WW2 scaled ships?

Thank you

What ship are you looking for?

injection molded plastic, or resin/multimedia?

Most popular scales are 1/350 and 1/700. Lots of good manufacturers.

[APES]
Beta Testers
14 posts
4,260 battles

Looking to buy maybe 4-5 (thats the space I have on shelfs)

1- Yamato

2- Bismark

3- Fletcher DD or a Benson

4- Maybe a Fuso

5- Accepting any community suggestions

[APES]
Beta Testers
14 posts
4,260 battles

Probably aiming for a resin models since they look better than plastic usualy.

I have good experience with car models DieCast and AutoArt, but theses come in metal, I dont think ships would be made of metal, correct me if I am wrong.

Beta Testers
1,347 posts
2 battles

Probably aiming for a resin models since they look better than plastic usualy.

I have good experience with car models DieCast and AutoArt, but theses come in metal, I dont think ships would be made of metal, correct me if I am wrong.

Have you ever worked with resin? It's not a fun modeling material.

Beta Testers
1,347 posts
2 battles

I dont want to build anything... I want to buy the finished models.

Prepare to pay out the nose, then. I, too, am not a fan of the building process, but built models of ships -- particularly those in a decent size (so, like 1/350) -- often run $500 upwards to thousands of dollars.

The best place to look is on Ebay, but you're going to sift through a lot of garbage (the half-finished, bad/no paint, exposed/obvious glue jobs built by a teenager) to find the good stuff... and the good stuff ain't cheap.

4,719 posts

Prepare to pay out the nose, then. I, too, am not a fan of the building process, but built models of ships -- particularly those in a decent size (so, like 1/350) -- often run $500 upwards to thousands of dollars.

The best place to look is on Ebay, but you're going to sift through a lot of garbage (the half-finished, bad/no paint, exposed/obvious glue jobs built by a teenager) to find the good stuff... and the good stuff ain't cheap.

this :great:

[7CR]
782 posts
2,818 battles

contact your local branch of the IPMS.  If you're in the U.S.A. it'll be available through:

http://www.ipmsusa.org

They might be able to get you in touch with modelers willing to do the work for you.  As we all know, a modeler NEVER has enough shelf-space, and is often willing to donate/sell finished models just so they can get on to their next project!  I do it a lot, but I donate mine to local groups(VFW, NL, etc) for display in their buildings.

[CONQR]
Alpha Tester
430 posts
3,590 battles

If you want to buy pre-built models, try a look at Die-cast models. Metal makes it cool to the touch.

If you want to buy models to build, try a basic destroyer or small cruiser first, then work your way to the big ships.

Beta Testers
409 posts

I'm a big fan of the Tamiya 1/700 waterline series. In fact, I'm making the USS New Jersey at present, having done Yamato, King George V, Nelson and Hood in the past.

If you're not keen on building, your options are very limited and in my opinion, you learn a great deal about the ship as you're building her. Kind of like a nerdy bonding session :teethhappy:.

I'd give a cheap, small-scale kit a go - there are plenty of people on here and on other dedicated forums who would give you advice.

Beta Testers
1,347 posts
2 battles

I'm a big fan of the Tamiya 1/700 waterline series. In fact, I'm making the USS New Jersey at present, having done Yamato, King George V, Nelson and Hood in the past.

If you're not keen on building, your options are very limited and in my opinion, you learn a great deal about the ship as you're building her. Kind of like a nerdy bonding session :teethhappy:.

I'd give a cheap, small-scale kit a go - there are plenty of people on here and on other dedicated forums who would give you advice.

The 1/700s are so small, though XD. The 1/350s have real presence in a room.

0 posts

The best one is Lego imho :P

There is a degree of truth to this :P...fully customizable! warships! 

Beta Testers
1,347 posts
2 battles

The funny thing is, you'd think there'd be a lot of built models out there for fairly cheap. I mean, let's be totally frank here: it's kind of an old guy/retiree hobby, and a lot of people just chuck that kind of stuff when their loved ones die. Auctions and estate sales, for example, are one of those places that model railroaders (another old guy hobby) go to feast. It's interesting that the same pattern isn't really seen with models.

Beta Testers
39 posts
184 battles

I have few ships, planes, tanks, tooooons of other models. I am not too old and I also like to wargame with those models ( also have warhammer Fb, warhammer40000 figures for wargaming) It makes me fell a little younger, but I'm 30 and making a ship models helps me alot in waiting for WoWs release :D

Beta Testers
118 posts
1,528 battles

The best one is Lego imho :P

A Montana class battleship at 980ft with a lego scale of 1:43.54 (human to lego figure) would be 22.5ft long!  I contemplated designing one, until my wife reminded me that #1, it would take thousands of dollars, and #2, where would we put something so precious (Upside down on the roof of the living room? -- That wouldn't work either considering it would be 2ft+ and being 6ft I would be scrapping my head on it.)  It would be 37338 studs long, which is really cool!

Even a Fletcher class destroyer would come in at 8.6ft long...

Down scaled lego's don't look good in my opinion, the lego figurines have to match the scale :) ... hence my objections!

-Mel

4,719 posts

A Montana class battleship at 980ft with a lego scale of 1:43.54 (human to lego figure) would be 22.5ft long!  I contemplated designing one, until my wife reminded me that #1, it would take thousands of dollars, and #2, where would we put something so precious (Upside down on the roof of the living room? -- That wouldn't work either considering it would be 2ft+ and being 6ft I would be scrapping my head on it.)  It would be 37338 studs long, which is really cool!

Even a Fletcher class destroyer would come in at 8.6ft long...

Down scaled lego's don't look good in my opinion, the lego figurines have to match the scale :) ... hence my objections!

-Mel

you just haven't seen the really good ones yet. Do a search on brickshelf.com, lots of bad and so-so ones, but some will blow your mind

[WOLF6]
Members
776 posts
5,900 battles

There was a guy who built a LEGO version of the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) that would float when it was put in the water.

I can't find the news article for it though.