You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

What am I doing wrong?

16 comments in this topic

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

This is starting to really get on my nerves. I just. Can't. Win. In. My. Yamato, and I know it's my fault since I can easily hold a 50%+ winrate in any other ship, but in Yamato I currently have an impressive 24% winrate. I've attached screenshots of a battle that I recently had that perfectly describes my Yamato experience- the team gets stomped so quickly that I don't have time to rack up the damage. I don't know what I could have done. I shoot at high value targets (usually nearby destroyers and cruisers but I take advantage of stopped or beached ships), I coordinate with the team, and I try to help in any way I can. I'm hoping that you guys could look at my stats and help me find out why I suck in this ship so much. 

Spoiler

5b0f62fa37930_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.30-19_46_40_40.thumb.png.924e6220e9895230c4c8412056130e63.png

5b0f62d74dd13_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.30-19_41_00_44.thumb.png.e0225b3328953a31f0e0e6cab0c1fdff.png

5b0f62df8ec3c_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.30-19_42_41_84.thumb.png.fe169e368c3819ddd19e36c37b017b7d.png

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

60 k with a yamato? You should be getting that dang near ever salvo. Go to the training room and Practice your AIM

[O_O]
Members
6,136 posts
14,126 battles

Yamato has massive shells that will do massive damage to cruisers and battleships.  You will probably have less than impressive results if shooting at destroyers, but killing destroyers helps win the game, so any damage done to one is valuable.

Get in position to make your fire accurate, but not brawling close.  Yamato requires a balance of soaking damage for your team, while staying alive to slam the reds for as long as possible.  She is a medium-long range sniper.  Since she moves like a slug in January, you have to predict where to put her, get your turrets pointed in the right direction, and hope you don't have to re-position much.

[0456]
Members
3,348 posts
9,066 battles

I don't see any Izumo stats... but it looks at a glance like you may have peaked at tier VII / VIII and might need a little more time there to climatize to the tier X environment. 33 games in Amagi... I think you were in a hurry to Yamato and it has left you a little lacking in adjusting to the responsibilities of your tier X ship. 

I say this as an objective assessment and mean no offense. I did the same thing on a few lines and paid the price (including Yamato!). It sounds like you're doing the right thing- but not at the right time, in the right place or for the right reason.

Edited by Gascan75
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,789 posts
21,840 battles

Tier IX-X BB play is jarringly different from anything before.  Amagi is cool a.f., but she does nothing to prepare you for how Izumo and Yamato are.

Let me also put this out there.  I skipped Izumo after Amagi and jumped right to Yamato.  I was getting rekt for a long time.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,486 posts
17,061 battles

New ship.  T10.  A few games.  

One thing about Yamato... if your team gets rolled, you don't often have time to do much.  She is a great attrition ship when playing in the mix...the center of gravity, so to speak, of a combined force.  Once she loses support, she gets flanked or focused...or both...not much you can do.  

[RLGN]
Members
13,295 posts
23,188 battles
9 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier IX-X BB play is jarringly different from anything before.

BB specific, but exactly why I despise high tier games. If I wanted to deal with kind of meta I’d go play any tier in Tanks.

10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Let me also put this out there.  I skipped Izumo after Amagi and jumped right to Yamato.  I was getting rekt for a long time.

My mistake with Des Moines, and likely the root reason why I loathe high tier games with a passion of firm opposition.

Members
3,714 posts
34 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

This is starting to really get on my nerves. I just. Can't. Win. In. My. Yamato, and I know it's my fault since I can easily hold a 50%+ winrate in any other ship, but in Yamato I currently have an impressive 24% winrate. I've attached screenshots of a battle that I recently had that perfectly describes my Yamato experience- the team gets stomped so quickly that I don't have time to rack up the damage. I don't know what I could have done. I shoot at high value targets (usually nearby destroyers and cruisers but I take advantage of stopped or beached ships), I coordinate with the team, and I try to help in any way I can. I'm hoping that you guys could look at my stats and help me find out why I suck in this ship so much. 

Reveal hidden contents

5b0f62fa37930_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.30-19_46_40_40.thumb.png.924e6220e9895230c4c8412056130e63.png

5b0f62d74dd13_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.30-19_41_00_44.thumb.png.e0225b3328953a31f0e0e6cab0c1fdff.png

5b0f62df8ec3c_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.30-19_42_41_84.thumb.png.fe169e368c3819ddd19e36c37b017b7d.png

I've been doing 120k-130k today and I'm 0 for 6. For a Yamato to show her true strength you need to be able to predict what your teammates are going to do. Lately that is impossible unless you're in a division. The 2 culprits are the slow rudder shift and the extremely slow turrets. If you have to maneuver hard you will not be able to keep your guns on target. I've been thinking about switching to the Republique just to compensate for the brain dead teammates. Just bought the Shima though so it will be awhile before I have the credits.

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles
38 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

60 k with a yamato? You should be getting that dang near ever salvo. Go to the training room and Practice your AIM

60k in a salvo is only really possible at very close range, with idiot enemies, great RNG, or with a detonation. Of course, with your logic, my low damage number was a direct result of my poor aim, and if I improve that I will be able to drop massive salvoes into any ship at any time. 

It's making me extremely frustrated. Every game ends up being a complete stomp and I just sit there watching. Usually half of the ships are dead within 6 minutes, and that's just out of my control. There's just no way I can stop that unless I get a devistating strike every salvo to keep up with the enemies, but I don't feel that pressure in any other ship, so the only reason why my winrate is so bad is because I'm trash in Yamato. I've looked at every stat and they seem like above average stats (on losses) for me. If I am consistently performing in the top 5 XP earners on the team, then why is my winrate 23% instead of 50+%, like it is in almost every other ship I play? 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 minute ago, CarbonButtprint said:

60k in a salvo is only really possible at very close range, with idiot enemies, great RNG, or with a detonation. Of course, with your logic, my low damage number was a direct result of my poor aim, and if I improve that I will be able to drop massive salvoes into any ship at any time. 

It's making me extremely frustrated. Every game ends up being a complete stomp and I just sit there watching. Usually half of the ships are dead within 6 minutes, and that's just out of my control. There's just no way I can stop that unless I get a devistating strike every salvo to keep up with the enemies, but I don't feel that pressure in any other ship, so the only reason why my winrate is so bad is because I'm trash in Yamato. I've looked at every stat and they seem like above average stats (on losses) for me. If I am consistently performing in the top 5 XP earners on the team, then why is my winrate 23% instead of 50+%, like it is in almost every other ship I play? 

In all seriousness Give yourself time in the Yamato Get acclimated to her style of play. The Training room with overwhelming odds against you will get you the experiance with the Aim and aspect of her style. There is zero cost in the training rooms/ your WR is unaffected.

[WOLF3]
Members
24,789 posts
21,840 battles
55 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

BB specific, but exactly why I despise high tier games. If I wanted to deal with kind of meta I’d go play any tier in Tanks.

My mistake with Des Moines, and likely the root reason why I loathe high tier games with a passion of firm opposition.

I was getting rekt so hard when I first got Yamato it was like this.  I die badly, EARLY with Yamato.  So embarrassingly bad, the reds said stuff like, "What a waste of a great ship."  I had no clue about the citadel vulnerability and that costed me dearly many times.  Yamato was one of my first Tier X ships and I didn't know how to aim well and leverage the power of those guns.  I got her when she still had those Mega Healz, and even that wasn't enough to save my awful play.

What the OP mentioned is very familiar to me.  My WR% was absolutely horrid in Yamato.  I was averaging low 60k with her, and when I saw the different server averages, I was embarrassed.

To compound this, I just kept on hitting Battle, and Battle, and Battle... Kept on fighting without learning why I was getting screwed up.  In the past I could just keep playing and eventually some ships would start to "click" with me.  But not Yamato.

Only after I gained a lot of experience, especially high tier BB experience, did I learn to make Yamato click.  I learned how to aim.  I learned how to protect her weaknesses and play to her strengths.  She's a lumbering, clumsy ship but I learned to make most of her and enjoy it.  I was eventually starting to do those early match, long range gun salvos bagging citadel hits on some other ship.  Etc., etc.

But all that improvement came way late.  I was at around 100-110 matches when I finally understood how to use High Tier IX-X BBs.  But at that stage of 100-110 matches with awful performances, my statistical averages in Yamato were so bad, that great play after has still yet to erase my horrid WR% from earlier.  My better play now can't erase the current 46% WR in her.  Oh yeah, it was MUCH worse before.

Right now, I love all my Tier X BBs, even the odd duck like Republique.

Anyways, I skipped Izumo because I wanted Yamato so bad.  The result was making an embarrassment of myself and the ship, a ship that many others, even Captain Average Joe, was doing way better than I was.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
523 posts
7,725 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier IX-X BB play is jarringly different from anything before.  Amagi is cool a.f., but she does nothing to prepare you for how Izumo and Yamato are.

100 times this.  Check my BB stats.  T8 or lower, and they are extremely good with 65% or higher solo queue win rates.  T9 drops, and my t10 BB is shamefully under 50%.

I took some time to carefully analyze stats of t10 BB players who have very high win rates, and there was a noticeable trend.  The guys who had very high win rates always had very high survival rates.

I believe now that high tier BBs require a more careful approach.  Knowing when to play safe and when to play aggressive is much more important at t10.  In my case, stats seem to indicate that I am over agressive and die too early.

Maybe it's time to carefully analyze your own stats to see where the issue lies?

• Cool 1

[PNP]
Members
14 posts
9,723 battles

Just leave the camping gear in the Izumo and you'll do fine. Oh, but expect everything to overpen, and you can't easily lolpen a Kurryworst's bow as the belt armour comes out almost to the stem. Also maybe a Conqueror, but the people who play those also own the camping supplies outlet. You can find them as far as possible from everything because WG thought it would be a good idea to enforce skilless camping and HE spam tactics. Because reasons.

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,295 posts
23,188 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I was getting rekt so hard when I first got Yamato it was like this.  I die badly, EARLY with Yamato.  So embarrassingly bad, the reds said stuff like, "What a waste of a great ship."  I had no clue about the citadel vulnerability and that costed me dearly many times.  Yamato was one of my first Tier X ships and I didn't know how to aim well and leverage the power of those guns.  I got her when she still had those Mega Healz, and even that wasn't enough to save my awful play.

Right now I'm playing Buffalo in Co-op; averaging 80k-ish damage per game; for five games. Had one game with five kills that was basically a Solo Warrior win... (all the xp and such I gathered in four of those games was about 1/4 of what was needed for those first two tasks of Mission 1 of the Halsey campaign...)

Bloody guns take 3x or more as long to reload, but I think there was only one game where I had less than 100 hits, and one that was as much as 175...

My main batter hit ratio is somewhere around 45%?

Never done anywhere close to that with Des Moines. even in Co-op.

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

Another one. I just finished this battle. This is what every single Yamato game looks like for me. In this game, about half of the team went each way, and the cruisers started to help, but as soon as they started to take fire they ran away and hid behind islands. I was able to hold the flank for a good 5 or 6 minutes but there's only so much I can do. At one point it was 5v2, but since everyone left it turned into a 2v2 with the Hindenburg being the only ship helping me. I kept holding the flank and put a great salvo into their musashi, but I didn't have time to kill anyone off before the other flank got stomped and overrun. The team melted and I was one of the last ships remaining. So if every tier 10 game is completely one sided and impossible to win, why am I always on the losing side?

5b102eea5dfad_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.31-10_07_59_39.thumb.png.44ddf74daf1e5d8953367c7d1b4b2a0a.png

5b102eca7534c_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.31-10_08_07_26.thumb.png.1eaeadca142c1c030f8d2c6b6e388c5f.png

5b102edb410d0_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.31-10_08_13_59.thumb.png.a1dba2b0ff48e1a1b831dded4477841b.png