You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronShibby

Destroyer Diary (Asashio) -The Missouri Battleship will kill you.

15 comments in this topic

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles

Firstly, I haven't played all the battleships so forgive me if I treat the Missouri as a unique case. 

This post is a reminder to myself and anyone else, that despite the Asahi's small detectability range, you're still not invisible to radar. 

I recently learnt the hard way that the Missouri has radar out to 9.45k range. I can't go and test this ship myself, for instance how much can it see around islands? Does the captains reduced detection skill affect it? 

Regardless of the answers to those questions, two facts remain: 

Asashio is going to come up against this premium ship frequently due to the game matching mechanics, and Asashio's special torpedo setup. 

The Missouri can sit in Caps, confident that it can see the surrounding destroyers if they are in a realistic torp range. At the time I thought he was making a mistake ... lol.

**The Missouri radar likely picks up torpedos at some distance, so firing from outside 9.45km is only partially a solution. (edit) Radar does not detect torpedos.

A simple plan. To kill bbs amid heavy firepower.

Here is me, planning a nice torpedo broadside at a silly bb sitting in cap. You can see where i was planning to hide, in between the two small islands. Release smoke, Pop out, fire torps, hit reverse and be invisible, back in my cosy tunnel.

Detected

Things started to unravel, when the (Premium, expensive) ship detects me well before I had in mind. 

I could still have charged in and got the kill; after all seeing a destroyer doesn't mean evading his torps successfully. But I hoped for smoke and rock to conceal me ... it didn't.

In short order, I carried out my plan but it was rushed; Missouri evaded the torps and I end up dead very quickly. I believe he had immediate detection of my torps in the water.

In future, if in the same situation I'll sacrifice myself to take out this dominant ship. 

It is starting to feel like USN ships are the only viable option in the game; everyone else is playing catch up, and destroyers just got nerfed. All of them. 

Edited by IronShibby
Learnt some new stuff.

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles

You need to figure out, as in do your homework, which ships do and don't have radar. I could compile a list but by now, surely you are motivated to do your own research.

Please define how *all* DD's got nerfed, because I don't see it that way at all.

Also, sacrificing yourself, which sounds like yoloing in and dieing, is not what you want to do against Missouri. Know its radar range, stay outside it, and torp him!

Edited by _Rumple_

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,914 posts
5,814 battles
8 minutes ago, IronShibby said:

Firstly, I haven't played all the battleships so forgive me if I treat the Missouri as a unique case. 

This post is a reminder to myself and anyone else, that despite the Asahi's small detectability range, you're still not invisible to radar. 

I recently learnt the hard way that the Missouri has radar out to 9.45k range. I can't go and test this ship myself, for instance how much can it see around islands? Does the captains reduced detection skill affect it? 

Regardless of the answers to those questions, two facts remain: 

Asashio is going to come up against this premium ship frequently due to the game matching mechanics, and Asashio's special torpedo setup. 

The Missouri can sit in Caps, confident that it can see the surrounding destroyers if they are in a realistic torp range. At the time I thought he was making a mistake ... lol.

**The Missouri radar likely picks up torpedos at some distance, so firing from outside 9.45km is only partially a solution. 

Radar doesn't pick up torpedoes afaik, Hydro does that. It's still fairly safe to target Missouri considering that Asashio has 20km torps and 16km with the acceleration captain skill. Just got to learn and remember to launch torps from 10km+ at Mo.

• Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Generally speaking, a Missouri that's trying to remain within radar range of caps isn't particularly mobile.  Pop it with torps from a longer distance, and move on to the next bit of prey.

[RLGN]
Members
13,299 posts
23,188 battles
6 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Generally speaking, a Missouri that's trying to remain within radar range of caps isn't particularly mobile.  Pop it with torps from a longer distance, and move on to the next bit of prey.

All fine and well, but I’ve seen an amazing number of ships at all tiers; dead or near stopped; still manage to dodge ‘can’t miss’ torps...

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

All fine and well, but I’ve seen an amazing number of ships at all tiers; dead or near stopped; still manage to dodge ‘can’t miss’ torps...

Well, that's because most players plan their torps around those ships reacting.

When harvesting potatoes, you must.. BECOME the potato.

• Funny 2

Members
4,219 posts
9,661 battles
37 minutes ago, IronShibby said:

**The Missouri radar likely picks up torpedos at some distance, so firing from outside 9.45km is only partially a solution.

Psst use the captain skill to get your torpedoes at 16 km range @ 72 knots. Dodge my aarsh.

Spoiler

5b0f6b5f6190c_Asashio130k.jpg.81890d2db24afd0f4ffc09b97a7882b7.jpg

Edited by Stauffenberg44

Members
107 posts
5,585 battles

1. You play DD, you should know by heart what ships don't and do have radar.

2. Missouri is the only BB in the game with radar, that's its gimmick.

3. Radar doesn't spot torpedoes.

4. It's quite easy to dodge torps at 6.6km if the person taking it knows what he's doing.

5.Radar ignores line of sight, hiding behind rocks is useless.

You didn't know enough about game mechanics and got outplayed, that's about it.

Edited by Ganbaruzoi_
  • Cool 1

Members
627 posts
699 battles

Am I really seeing an Asashio owner [edited] about the one battleship in game that can detect and engage it?  Seriously?

[WOLFB]
Members
3,320 posts
13,709 battles

While I agree that Missouri is quite broken thanks to her radar and entire package, Asashio don't have any trouble dealing with her at all. Unlike CA, you can spot Missouri before the  red ship spots you. And your torps are stealthy and fast. Unless you decide to close the distance playing the Kamikaze way, you won't die from a Missouri in a 1 v 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Battleship diary: day 42 - an Asashio captain tried to close my Missouri today. He got blapped, then came on the forums to disguise his QQ as a public service announcement. Wow, other guys keep journals, too? Far out! So I'm not weird after all. Shows you, mom.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Goeben
  • Cool 1

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Radar doesn't pick up torpedoes afaik, Hydro does that. It's still fairly safe to target Missouri considering that Asashio has 20km torps and 16km with the acceleration captain skill. Just got to learn and remember to launch torps from 10km+ at Mo.

Good point, according to the wiki you are correct.

His radar would not see the torps ... but maybe he simply saw them launch(Mk I Eyeball), or guessed that launching what an Asahi would be doing at that time.  

Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
1 hour ago, Ganbaruzoi_ said:

1. You play DD, you should know by heart what ships don't and do have radar.

2. Missouri is the only BB in the game with radar, that's its gimmick.

3. Radar doesn't spot torpedoes.

4. It's quite easy to dodge torps at 6.6km if the person taking it knows what he's doing.

5.Radar ignores line of sight, hiding behind rocks is useless.

You didn't know enough about game mechanics and got outplayed, that's about it.

You are correct. I am learning.