Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Now own Tier 8s Cleveland and Baltimore

4 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,152 posts
13,714 battles

Light and Heavy, which is generally better ? I would think Baltimore would be. But all the fuss has been about the Cleveland.

The Balti has good AA as does the Cleve.

I had over 920K XP in old Cleve, and now have 0 xp in it, and have 18K XP in new Baltimore.

Insight please.

Members
2,136 posts
5,551 battles

Depends on your playstyle. Baltimore is also a little more tanky than Cleveland.

All the EXP you got on the old ships stayed at the tier the ship was at, you also got some exp for old ship modules that don't exist anymore.

[O_O]
Members
6,136 posts
14,126 battles

"Better" is impossible to answer.  It depends on your play style.

USN CA's tend to have nastier alpha strike potential with their heavy AP rounds.  USN CL's tend to be more like the T6 Cleveland and 155mm Mogami...fast rate of fire and saturate your target with...fire.  I appreciate both.  Faster rate of fire equals more dakka dakka fun, but smashing a cruiser or battleship for high damage with single salvos is also fun.

Either way, just make sure you watch your positioning closely.  Both lines can get hammered pretty easily.  Protect those broadsides.

Members
1,686 posts
8,081 battles

Baltimore is worse at tier 8 than she was at tier 9. She lost her heal, and her agility is had her rate of fire dramatically nerfed. In addition, her concealability is worse than the old tier 8 New Orleans, and both her rudder shift and turn radius are worse — the New Orleans was continually one of the worst-performing cruisers in its tier across all servers, and the Baltimore is even worse when it comes to avoiding fire.

Right now, the Cleveland is just an overall better ship. Being able to mount AADF and hydro at the same time is a huge advantage, but the Cleveland also has much better DPM. It’s very, very rare for CAs to be able to sink anything with their alpha strike in tier 8, and a CA using islands for cover (which USN CAs must do) will very often have enemies suddenly close to suicide torpedo range. The old New Orleans used agility to deal with that, while the old Baltimore (with its poorer handling) could gun down close enemies with its amazing rate of fire. The new Baltimore lacks a way to deal with those close-range fights, but the Cleveland has better DPM and better agility (as well as always having hydro), so it’s in better shape whether it’s a Gearing or a Bismarck that rushes up close. 

Buffalo is kinda meh too. Again, the ROF kills it, because USN CAs usually fight angled or near islands, and those back turrets are not often useful. I’d say Buffalo is a better fit for tier 9 than Baltimore is for tier 8, but I would have said the same about Baltimore and New Orleans before. 

So far, the Cleveland is a lot of fun, but I play the Atlanta too, so I’m used to the style. It’s not going to be everyone’s favorite, but it’s a better ship than the 6, 7, 8, 9 heavies. The Cleveland is very strong when played well; the heavies need to be played well to get adequate results. 

Sign in to follow this