Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Unkle_Grimace

Update 7.5 Big Complaint!!

19 comments in this topic

[WALLY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
287 posts
12,066 battles

Patch name is very misleading. It should be...

Update 0.7.5 American Cruiser

Spoiler

giphy.gif.09984d9f0a00ea26bbfb60cdec98d000.gif

• Funny 1

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
4,583 battles
36 minutes ago, Unkle_Grimace said:

Patch name is very misleading. It should be...

Update 0.7.5 American Cruiser

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif.09984d9f0a00ea26bbfb60cdec98d000.gif

Hey troller bother to read the EULA it basically says now you don’t own your ships and you can’t disagree with Wargaming.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,723 posts
22,079 battles
3 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Hey troller bother to read the EULA it basically says now you don’t own your ships and you can’t disagree with Wargaming.

I hear this is common with online games now. It is disturbing nonetheless, especially since you can lose your account for disparaging Wargaming... IMHO if you can not take criticism of your product, then you should not compete in the free market. The upside is that WoWS is a product in the free market, there are plenty of games available competing for my time and money. Wargaming should remember that. 

• Cool 1

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
4,583 battles
3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I hear this is common with online games now. It is disturbing nonetheless, especially since you can lose your account for disparaging Wargaming... IMHO if you can not take criticism of your product, then you should not compete in the free market. The upside is that WoWS is a product in the free market, there are plenty of games available competing for my time and money. Wargaming should remember that. 

Indeed I a man posting the link here for those interested in what I am talking about.

Members
858 posts
1,810 battles

Changes to EULA notwithstanding, you never "owned" anything.  They're probably just shoring up the EULA for the eventual day when they sunset the game - with the old wording maybe they thought some judge in Eastern Uzbekistan would rule that they had to keep the game running in perpituity so some schlomo wouldn't lose access to their Derpitz that they spent a year's worth of allowance on.

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,701 posts

The EULA changes are due to new gaming laws in Europe. Pick up a newspaper once in a while

[WOLF8]
Members
6,604 posts
5,801 battles
3 hours ago, Battleship_Dunkerque said:

Changes to EULA notwithstanding, you never "owned" anything.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to agree with this.

I don't think anyone can technically own anything in an online video game, especially if it requires a constant internet connection to play. Every data is on the server side, and the servers are owned by the game company. Even if the players pay real money to acquire all kinds of goodies and services to consume in-game, it's more of a "rent" in my opinion. Kinda like... a rental car or rental bikes, you know.

Once this game dies down some day in far future, the devs will pull the plug on the servers. What then? Nothing would be left for anyone to come collect things they paid for.

Edited by Blorgh2017
spelling and grammar
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,723 posts
22,079 battles
4 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to agree with this.

I don't think anyone can technically own anything in an online video game, especially if it requires a constant internet connection to play. Every data is on the server side, and the servers are owned by the game company. Even if the players pay real money to acquire all kinds of goodies and services to consume in-game, it's more of a "rent" in my opinion. Kinda like... a rental car or rental bikes, you know.

Once this game dies down some day in far future, the devs will pull the plug on the servers. What then? Nothing would be left for anyone to come collect things they paid for.

Probably the best argument I have seen for not spending real money for an online game. You are right it is much more of a rental than anything else, maybe more of a service purchase.. Might be best not to spend hard earned money on something you have so little control over.

[WOLF8]
Members
6,604 posts
5,801 battles
5 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Probably the best argument I have seen for not spending real money for an online game. You are right it is much more of a rental than anything else, maybe more of a service purchase.. Might be best not to spend hard earned money on something you have so little control over.

True... but then again... a lot of people can (and some do) spend way more money on things that are more frivolous... all for the sake of enjoying an entertainment. I see no difference for any online games. If it makes you have fun and be happy, why not? LOL. At least one should be willing to accept the fact that they're spending their hard earned money on something non-existent and that they're willing to man/woman up for the decisions they make.

Still, best part is that you can always set how much you are going to spend. From $0 all the way to $$$$$$MAKEWARGAMINGGREATRICHLOL$$$$$$. All within your own control, lol.

Edited by Blorgh2017

Members
61 posts
14,687 battles

Take the number of hours you play the game and the amount of money you've spent on it, and then compare it to things like going to concerts, going to the movies, or out to dinner.  Compared to the amount of time spent, it doesn't seem so bad...

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles
18 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

The EULA changes are due to new gaming laws in Europe. Pick up a newspaper once in a while

Now where would I get a European newspaper?

No, don't answer that.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles
17 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Do you ever go to the movies?  Real money is spent for entertainment.  Seat rental, if you will.  Same for a video game.  (Hmmm.  The similarities are becoming alarming.)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,723 posts
22,079 battles
8 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Do you ever go to the movies?  Real money is spent for entertainment.  Seat rental, if you will.  Same for a video game.  (Hmmm.  The similarities are becoming alarming.)

Nope, I kind of quit going to movies when they stopped having intermission and with the invention of VCRs. I like to be able to pause a movie so I can take a leak. I do agree that it is entertainment, most games are and is kind of the point of them. The difference is I own all of my games, have the CDs, DVDs, and floppies so I can play them whenever with or without an internet connection. WoWS is the exception. I realize that this is what is to become of games and have zero problem with it. Mine is just a cautionary statement to players who may spend money on something that may or may not be around a while. 

I have spent my fair share on WoWS so I need no lecture on utilizing my disposal income on entertainment. Where I have a problem is how Wargaming as a company treats its customers poorly. Like any good consumer I tend to do business with companies & people I trust and have a product I like. When companies or their employees start to treat me poorly or if the quality of their products starts to slip, it is my prerogative to complain without fear of retaliation. THAT is where I have issue, not too sure why that is so hard to understand. 

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,701 posts
48 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Now where would I get a European newspaper?
No, don't answer that.

Actually, in some major cities, they import newspapers~!  In Toronto, you can pick up papers in Chinatown, though they're specially printed national newspapers. Chinese papers printed in Canada in Chinese for Canadians from China who want to know about things in China    :D     Also seen similar in other ethnic enclaves. Might not be a thing in America as a whole but it wouldn't shock me if places near the Mexican border have Mexican newspapers too. Of course, that's starting to be phased out by digital media, like newspapers in general

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles

I listen to BBS International for my international news.  More than you ever wanted to know about Africa.  Little about Europe, except football.  (To be fair, they do cover anti-EU movements such as Brexit and the recent mess in Italy.)  Nothing at all about S. America, unless the Brazilian president is going to be impeached again.  Occasional features on the sub-continent, and pop-up reports from SE Asia.  I don't think they know where Bora Bora is.

Members
858 posts
1,810 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

... The difference is I own all of my games, have the CDs, DVDs, and floppies so I can play them whenever with or without an internet connection. WoWS is the exception.

Even there, you don't own anything other than the media, i.e., the discs/tapes/whatever that the data is housed on.  When you purchase a music CD, for example (and for you kids who are too young to recall, a CD is a plastic disc that has music encoded on it), you're only purchasing the disc itself and a license to use the music encoded on it for your own personal use.  You can even make a copy for 'fair use'.  Back in my day, we'd copy it onto a cassette to play in the car so your CDs could stay safe at home.  But you don't own the actual music.  You can't host a rave and charge admission.  Well, OK, you *can* but you risk having ASCAP's jackbooted thugs showing up to shake you down for royalties. ;)

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,511 posts
4,602 battles

^^ This.

14 minutes ago, Battleship_Dunkerque said:

Well, OK, you *can* but you risk having ASCAP's jackbooted thugs showing up to shake you down for royalties. ;)

Unless you're in China.

Edited by iDuckman

Sign in to follow this