You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
w4spl3g

New Cleveland - To IFHE or not to IFHE

57 comments in this topic

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts

I used to use a full AA build on my 19 pt captain for the old t6 Cleveland but I'm aware that people like Flamu recommended an IFHE one. I'm curious what people think the ideal build for this T8 version is. There are many more consumables, Superintendent seems like a better choice now than DE but that IFHE fire chance cost on the 152mm guns seems high too so I'm vacillating.

[KRAB]
Members
887 posts
7,326 battles

You badly need ifhe. Otherwise,  you'll shatter on almost everything larger than a dd. The fire chance change is barely worth noticing. 

Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
1 minute ago, w4spl3g said:

I used to use a full AA build on my 19 pt captain for the old t6 Cleveland but I'm aware that people like Flamu recommended an IFHE one. I'm curious what people think the ideal build for this T8 version is. There are many more consumables, Superintendent seems like a better choice now than DE but that IFHE fire chance cost on the 152mm guns seems high too so I'm vacillating.

I'm also curious as to what this new Cleveland's ideal captain build will be.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,431 posts
11,141 battles
5 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

You badly need ifhe. Otherwise,  you'll shatter on almost everything larger than a dd. The fire chance change is barely worth noticing. 

Especially with a 6.5s reload vs the 10s reload on the old cleve.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,557 posts
15,335 battles

IFHE on 152 mm shells is just awesome. Your alpha damage increase WAAAAAAAY more than compensates for the measly reduction in fire chance. At T8, there is a LOT of good AA, so the Cleveland isn't relied upon as heavily as the cure for sky cancer as she was at T6, making IFHE almost a no-brainer.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,514 posts
10,332 battles

I use IFHE on my new Cleveland....It rocks putting out damage

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,507 posts
4,602 battles
27 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

I'm also curious as to what this new Cleveland's ideal captain build will be.

I'm thinking EL, EM, DE, IFHE, then add AR and CE, with a dash of VI.

[BOTO]
Members
1,100 posts
13,759 battles

My first game in the new Cleveland.........and I set a new personal best in damage, 160k and a Witherer. Unfortunately we lost, I'm just not a good enough player to carry, I went down next to last.  I'm thinking that this is going to be an OP ship when run by very good/great players if I can do this on my first run and I'm an average player on a good day.  The buffed firing rate/turret traverse along with very good concealment makes this a DPM monster.  I played as a kiting ship, anybody good at the island hugging style is going to murder people with it.  EDIT:  I'm running IFHE and I had no problem starting fires so I'd recommend using it.

newcleve2.JPG

newcleve3.JPG

newcleve1.JPG

Edited by Wittman73

[WORX]
Members
9,074 posts
17,223 battles

I only played the t8 Cleveland in PTS. That said, you can only have two four pt cpt skills and I have to conclude that it depends on your play style. IF your going to hug the island like you hug your wife then then I don't recommend IFHE. I always recommend concealment expert and since your going to face BBs then other cruisers fire as long as the higher calibers can;t see you then you can live longer. FIre prevention is not recommended so you have IFHE or AFT.

For my play style I am going with CE as my only skill and the rest on consumables to counter the HE  cruiser spam. IF you decide to skip CE, you risk getting deleted by the BB mafia.. IF your going to not hide behind an island then you need the extra penetration % that IFHE gives you. Its up to you really, IFHE was not for me in the ATL even though everyone swears by it recommend it for the ATL. 

In Summery. Your first choice is CE, from there its up to you. I don;t recommend IFHE not at the sacrifice of 4 pts. LAters!

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,514 posts
10,332 battles

I'm doing well in the Cleveland....Consistently at the top of  the XP leaderboard.  However, can't buy a win.  Everyone else on my team seems to think their Cleveland is invincible and needs to be 6km from an enemy BB.  

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

I only played the t8 Cleveland in PTS. That said, you can only have two four pt cpt skills and I have to conclude that it depends on your play style. IF your going to hug the island like you hug your wife then then I don't recommend IFHE. I always recommend concealment expert and since your going to face BBs then other cruisers fire as long as the higher calibers can;t see you then you can live longer. FIre prevention is not recommended so you have IFHE or AFT.

For my play style I am going with CE as my only skill and the rest on consumables to counter the HE  cruiser spam. IF you decide to skip CE, you risk getting deleted by the BB mafia.. IF your going to not hide behind an island then you need the extra penetration % that IFHE gives you. Its up to you really, IFHE was not for me in the ATL even though everyone swears by it recommend it for the ATL. 

In Summery. Your first choice is CE, from there its up to you. I don;t recommend IFHE not at the sacrifice of 4 pts. LAters!

Why 2? I don't feel the need for Expert Marksman so I have 3 x 4 point skills right now (CE/IFHE/AFT).

47 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I've found this to be true. I even landed a 2x fire in one salvo in my first game with it. The IFHE damage increase is noticeable.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,507 posts
4,602 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

IF you decide to skip CE, you risk getting deleted by the BB mafia..

You do anyway.  Skipping CE just makes you a little easier to spot.  If you play up front, covering your DDs and trying to delete other cruisers, you're going to be spotted anyway.  

Something that helps a terrain-hugging style would be Propulsion Mod 2.  I'm going to try Steering Mod 2 first, then maybe try it. 

[WORX]
Members
9,074 posts
17,223 battles
1 minute ago, w4spl3g said:

Why 2?

Because there is only 2 that I would pick if your going AA. AFT and CE, I would focus more on the other points like CE spam at close range from cruisers or long range from the conqueror, or faster gun turrets which is a must. I mean yeah you can get more but i recommend 2. Then again its your play style and you asked so IF you want more then 2 that is on you :)

[WORX]
Members
9,074 posts
17,223 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

You do anyway.  Skipping CE just makes you a little easier to spot.  If you play up front, covering your DDs and trying to delete other cruisers, you're going to be spotted anyway.  

That depends on play style that is what I am trying to communicate here :P. I rather not be seen but that is me... But others will disagree and that is cool. I don;t recommend it but lets see how he plays it. Good Luck !

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,507 posts
4,602 battles

I too prefer not to be seen.  But if I'm going to engage I want the most firepower I can possibly pack.  Keeps the engagement short so I can get back into cover. 

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles
9 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Something that helps a terrain-hugging style would be Propulsion Mod 2.  I'm going to try Steering Mod 2 first, then maybe try it. 

This. From what i saw until now. You generally played a lot behind islands so CE is not so important. IFHE is. And i am also considering using Propulsion mod. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,100 posts
13,759 battles

I'm running IFHE and CE, the CE was very handy for disengaging when you don't have any island cover.  Concealment without any camo is down to 9.4km.

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles

And another thing. These days i think i will use the spotter plane in the Cleveland. There is no need for def AA atm.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,539 posts
12,181 battles

CE for me because I want to be able to radar things that detect me. I will build a second captain up to 10 points and put IFHE on him first.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,429 posts
18 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

And another thing. These days i think i will use the spotter plane in the Cleveland. There is no need for def AA atm.

Isn't the tradeoff radar for spotter?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

CE for me because I want to be able to radar things that detect me. I will build a second captain up to 10 points and put IFHE on him first.

Yes, I've been doing this too. I max conceal, it's 9.1 and radar range is 9 so you're very likely to catch basically everything