Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
fourteenfour

Operation Hermes, sighting rules, and bots.

9 comments in this topic

[OVRPN]
Members
698 posts

can someone at WG validate that the bots actually adhere to the same sighting rules that players do? Or is this part of that infamous rendering issue that comes up often? Being shot at by ships that no one can see is not exactly fun. Its even less fun when you can clearly see the muzzle flashes and shell tracers.  At first I tried to excuse it as maybe they were behind an island but that isn't the case. if I get them within 8km or so (is that t-storm range) then I see them but i have been shot at for way too long to even believe bots are affected by the storms.  

edit : yes I can blind fire to the muzzle flashes but its just odd I can see them and not a ship until the range is loewr

Edited by fourteenfour

[TBW]
Members
9,539 posts
16,271 battles

The same rules apply to them for spotting. If one of their ships spot you, they all spot you. If your team spots them, you spot them. They all really know where you are at all times, but they only shoot when you are spotted by some another bot.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[CVA16]
Members
4,710 posts
14,417 battles
9 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The same rules apply to them for spotting. If one of their ships spot you, they all spot you. If your team spots them, you spot them.

Not from my experience lately. In various scenarios I have been stealth fired upon as the OP describes many times. The firing ship should become visible upon firing but may get off a couple of volleys before becoming visible. Many times it turns out that firing ship is the closest bot ship to me.  I know it has been said the bots all have RPF so they don't wander off in the wrong direction but they seem to be able to spot and target much better than the players too. Plus they seem to have accurate, instantaneous speed numbers for targeting whereas the players have to guess in the bad visibility how fast the bot is going.

Being spotted by another ship or by plane does not allow OWSF anymore, at least for players. Once you fire, you are visible out to your gun range. In cyclones etc. you can't target ships outside the 8K visible range, even if another ship is spotting it. It might be the bots can target what to players is just a red outline on the minimap.

Edited by Sabot_100

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts

how hard is it to get 5 stars? i tried once and it was a fail, so i didn't try anymore

[PVE]
Members
1,325 posts
36,487 battles
1 minute ago, Happy668 said:

how hard is it to get 5 stars? i tried once and it was a fail, so i didn't try anymore

Not to hard if everyone works together.

At the end you need 1 or 2 ships ahead of the BB or them nice red DDs will feed it fish until it dies.

[-PVE-]
Members
232 posts
12,509 battles

Rules, they don't need no stinking rules!

[PEED2]
Members
5 posts
7,210 battles

Operation Hermes seems to be broken.

Bots: fire at anything with low(er) health than other ships. I had lost maybe 5k health and was being focused fired by 3-4 ships, despite being the furthest away. It actually can make the game easier for your teammates if you're good at kiting, but it seems to be an otherwise illogical mechanic.

Difficulty: just too many ships. Multiple DD swarms and battleships.

Complications: Limited ship selection, you can't take any german or japanese. The only ship I have access to is the New Orleans, which has been nerfed; it has slow guns (slow reloading and turning) and due to it's low health pool is an instant focus-fire magnet, regardless of distance to the enemy.

Team and ending:  Despite having decent players, scoring plenty of kills, failure is very real. I scored 100k damage in a battle and was actually the 3rd worst player, we still failed, and I ended up losing more than 70k credits.

Doing well and still losing is a fact of life for world of warships, it happens daily in random battles and ranked; but scenario's are supposed to be fun.

It's no longer fun when I'm losing credits on every playthrough.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
361 posts
16,879 battles
8 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

can someone at WG validate that the bots actually adhere to the same sighting rules that players do? Or is this part of that infamous rendering issue that comes up often? Being shot at by ships that no one can see is not exactly fun. Its even less fun when you can clearly see the muzzle flashes and shell tracers.  At first I tried to excuse it as maybe they were behind an island but that isn't the case. if I get them within 8km or so (is that t-storm range) then I see them but i have been shot at for way too long to even believe bots are affected by the storms.  

edit : yes I can blind fire to the muzzle flashes but its just odd I can see them and not a ship until the range is loewr

You may be specifically encountering the Thunderstorm mechanic?

I believe it is the grey circle that you see on the minimap.   And it moves around during the entire mission.

When you are inside,  your gun bloom only lasts like 5secs?  But the drawback is you can not see ships until they are very close.   So the enemy can see you from your normal detection,  but only for a small window.  Whereas they appear only as an outline(last known pos) and are able to snipe ally ships.  

Basically this is what is happening when you battle that first wave of ships.   They blink in and out for only several seconds.  Because they sail into the storm at the beginning of the scenario.

There may be more things at play,  but this is my observation.

Sign in to follow this