You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrKilmister

Alsace - Buffalo killer

16 comments in this topic

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,285 battles

I think I just found out what Alsace was naturally born to do, she's a Buffalo killer!  

yhYnZzR.jpg

nzPjCVC.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,429 posts

6 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

I think I just found out what Alsace was naturally born to do, she's a Buffalo killer!  

yhYnZzR.jpg

nzPjCVC.jpg

She's just a killer period, I think I've one shot more cruisers in that thing than any other ship I have....and I'm still grinding the modules...

Edited by awiggin

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,285 battles
8 minutes ago, awiggin said:

She's just a killer period, I think I've one shot more cruisers in that thing than any other ship I have....and I'm still grinding the modules...

Got me a Kronstadt, Cleveland and a Mino so far out of my 5 matched this afternoon, too. Alsace feels a tad delicate which can be frustrating. I'm finding it's best to hug islands for that granite armor, also the natural habitat of USN cruisers. There's a good synergy in that approach for this ship.  

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
6,014 posts
6,965 battles

Those Buffalo's didn't play well at all. Buffalo has 27mm hull and bow plating, nothing an Alsace can really do unless it sits broadside. Some of the most fun I've had in this game was bow tanking an Alsace in the old T9 Baltimore, poor guy couldn't pen me with AP and couldn't out DPM me with HE.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,429 posts
10 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Got me a Kronstadt, Cleveland and a Mino so far out of my 5 matched this afternoon, too. Alsace feels a tad delicate which can be frustrating. I'm finding it's best to hug islands for that granite armor, also the natural habitat of USN cruisers. There's a good synergy in that approach for this ship.  

Reminds me of the Guilio, only with steroid fueled 2nds. Trollishly accurate, deadly guns, but you cannot show that broadside....

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,285 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Reminds me of the Guilio, only with steroid fueled 2nds. Trollishly accurate, deadly guns, but you cannot show that broadside....

Hard to compare a IX to a V but think tier for tier Giulio is more fun and more powerful. I love LOL-penning and Dev Striking cruisers with GC AP when I need a break from upper tier play. 

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,285 battles
19 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Those Buffalo's didn't play well at all. Buffalo has 27mm hull and bow plating, nothing an Alsace can really do unless it sits broadside. Some of the most fun I've had in this game was bow tanking an Alsace in the old T9 Baltimore, poor guy couldn't pen me with AP and couldn't out DPM me with HE.

Actually, they were all mostly bow-on or well angled, Alsace manual secondaries eats them alive between AP salvos--same as with the PNG Kronstadt I sank this afternoon. By forcing those Buffalo to angle their bow to me it halved their potential DPM. Pick your poison, show your broadside to my AP or sit angled where my manual secondaries burn you down and devour you. 

Your bow tanking Alsace opponent may not have had a 19 pt. full manual secondary build. If they did, then they made the mistake of not angling properly and selecting you to get adequate secondary guns firing on you.

I can share replays to show you if you like. 

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
107 posts
5,585 battles
5 hours ago, lemekillmister said:

You're seriously playing the thing wrong if you hug islands in the fastest battleship with one of the best secondary suite in the game.

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,285 battles
31 minutes ago, Ganbaruzoi_ said:

You're seriously playing the thing wrong if you hug islands in the fastest battleship with one of the best secondary suite in the game.

Well, okay, we can just agree to disagree then. IMO, it depends on the situation and the map. You know Alsace HP and durability are a tad low, for it's tier, for taking much sustained beating from other T9 and 10 BBs. It helps to put your ship in positions to use AP and secondaries on cruisers with protection from other heavies between you and them -- Last I heard, that's called good positioning. Today, I sank 2 x Yamato, 1 x Bismark, 4 x Buffalo, Cleveland, Kronstadt, Mino Neptune, and Roon in 5 games for 4 wins, including a Kraken, Confederate, 1st Blood, Close Quarters expert... a dozen or so citadel's. That was my second Alsace Kraken in the last three days. Thanks for your input. 

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
107 posts
5,585 battles

Wow no need to get so defensive, your concealment is quite low at 12.2km which is barely a km past your secondary range and you can run at 36kts, I find it more effective to zig zag around at max speed and just simply get out of enemy fire if PT pop ups too high a number. Granted I also overextended quite a few times and died early.

Alsace isn't a great island hugger to begin with, the guns have a flat shell arc with high velocity so anything you can shoot over the other side can also shoot over, and last time I checked secondaries don't open fire  unless they have clear LoS, I'd use them for covers when retreating/pushing but wouldn't permanently park behind an island to shoot.

[REVY]
Members
6,436 posts
5,168 battles
6 hours ago, Ganbaruzoi_ said:

Why?  The best way to use secondaries is via ambush.

EEzwqHS.jpg

WfASHbZ.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,285 battles
12 hours ago, Ganbaruzoi_ said:

Wow no need to get so defensive, your concealment is quite low at 12.2km which is barely a km past your secondary range and you can run at 36kts, I find it more effective to zig zag around at max speed and just simply get out of enemy fire if PT pop ups too high a number. Granted I also overextended quite a few times and died early.

Alsace isn't a great island hugger to begin with, the guns have a flat shell arc with high velocity so anything you can shoot over the other side can also shoot over, and last time I checked secondaries don't open fire  unless they have clear LoS, I'd use them for covers when retreating/pushing but wouldn't permanently park behind an island to shoot.

You're projecting. Who said anything about trying to shoot over islands too high to shoot over, not managing/maintaining lines of sight or anything about permanently parking behind islands, other than you? But no need to get defensive, right?

[WOLF3]
Members
24,807 posts
21,855 battles

To be fair, every BB is a Cruiser Killer, but congrats on seeing the queue situation and playing the ship type best able to deal with them!  A lot of DDs were in for a world of hurt.

[UN1]
Members
928 posts
3,156 battles

With everyone playing American cruisers right now, I'm seeing a lot fewer DDs, which means a lot less torps.  It's like a buffet for battleships.

[WOLF3]
Members
24,807 posts
21,855 battles

Thinking about it some more, there is something that makes Buffalo more susceptible to getting rekt than Baltimore, Des Moines.

Buffalo's game balance is based on her large 12 gun setup.  However, WG decided that due to having 12 guns, she is straddled with a very long reload speed.  What this does is tempt the Buffalo player to show more side so that the player gets more "bang for the buck" by firing 12 guns every decade instead of only 6 every decade.  And a Cruiser that likes to show sides is a Cruiser that likes to die.

Buffalo has a 27mm bow.  If it was very well angled or bow on, it would bounce 380mm AP.  But that doesn't matter if you have to show a lot of sides to fire your 12 guns.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
12,285 battles
17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Thinking about it some more, there is something that makes Buffalo more susceptible to getting rekt than Baltimore, Des Moines.

Buffalo's game balance is based on her large 12 gun setup.  However, WG decided that due to having 12 guns, she is straddled with a very long reload speed.  What this does is tempt the Buffalo player to show more side so that the player gets more "bang for the buck" by firing 12 guns every decade instead of only 6 every decade.  And a Cruiser that likes to show sides is a Cruiser that likes to die.

Buffalo has a 27mm bow.  If it was very well angled or bow on, it would bounce 380mm AP.  But that doesn't matter if you have to show a lot of sides to fire your 12 guns.

Yeah... There's that.