You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

So what do I do with this here...

17 comments in this topic

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Pensacola?  

Never had her. Got her in the Cleveland switcho thing today.  Most who have/had her have seemed not to like her much. Will she be better where she is now in tier 6?  Do I sell her and buy something better. Do I wait and see how she does NOW?  Do I leave her in my line-up and just use her as a flower pot?  Just looking for some input.  I have sucked pretty good much of the time but am doing a lot better now so maybe I can make her work.  NO TORPS.  I like torps on a cruiser. I did read the recent thread on her.....pretty negative.  Tks. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,089 posts
17,161 battles

Try her and see for yourself?

At least play her once to get the free 190k captain XP.

Personally, I find her a beast at T6. Fragile, yes, but 203mm Amercan Piercing at tier 6 is monstrous and does monstrous things.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,886 posts
13,620 battles

She is still the transition ship form scout/light cruisers to heavy cruisers and at a tier lower the transition is not as hard and you can play that one match in co-op to get the 19k elite exp.

Members
1,187 posts
6,087 battles

As @Lert so eloquently stated, I would give her a spin and try her out for at least 1 battle to get the 190,000 free elite commander XP.

I found the Pensacola to not be all that bad at tier 6 on the Public Test Server and after a few games, I've enjoyed her so far on the live server. She doesn't play like the Cleveland with those fast firing 152 mm, but the 'Cola punches hard. However, she isn't as tough as the old tier 6 Cleveland and that turret traverse. They nerfed it from where it was at previously at tier 7. She has the slowest turret traverse speed of any tier 6 cruiser by a full 9 seconds with 45 seconds. Even with Expert Marksman and the Main Battery mod 2, it only drops it down to 34 seconds. If WG will buff that turret traverse from snail to tortoise, it would help.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,886 posts
13,620 battles
11 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

As @Lert so eloquently stated, I would give her a spin and try her out for at least 1 battle to get the 190,000 free elite commander XP.

I found the Pensacola to not be all that bad at tier 6 on the Public Test Server and after a few games, I've enjoyed her so far on the live server. She doesn't play like the Cleveland with those fast firing 152 mm, but the 'Cola punches hard. However, she isn't as tough as the old tier 6 Cleveland and that turret traverse. They nerfed it from where it was at previously at tier 7. She has the slowest turret traverse speed of any tier 6 cruiser by a full 9 seconds with 45 seconds. Even with Expert Marksman and the Main Battery mod 2, it only drops it down to 34 seconds. If WG will buff that turret traverse from snail to tortoise, it would help.

I see that turret traverse getting a buff down the road. Currently using them while maneuvering is near impossible just as it was with the Furutaka before it was buffed.

[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
28 minutes ago, Lert said:

203mm Amercan Piercing at tier 6 is monstrous and does monstrous things.

When I tried her earlier, I found that the shells would just overpen, even at the waterline. I feel like pensa's guns are too strong for her tier now in addition to losing out on her precious rudder shift and concealment.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,089 posts
17,161 battles
3 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

When I tried her earlier, I found that the shells would just overpen, even at the waterline. I feel like pensa's guns are too strong for her tier now in addition to losing out on her precious rudder shift and concealment.

Not my experience. I remained at medium to range, the ballistic arcs tends to put my shells right in the sensitive bits.

[RLGN]
Members
13,300 posts
23,198 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I see that turret traverse getting a buff down the road. Currently using them while maneuvering is near impossible just as it was with the Furutaka before it was buffed.

I understand what you mean; but for me; somewhat tongue-in-cheek; Furutaka getting ‘buffed’ meant losing its unique pyramid turret layout, and getting the dull, boring, everyone else has one, proto-Aoba layout.

[YAN]
Members
1,700 posts
8,085 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Not my experience. I remained at medium to range, the ballistic arcs tends to put my shells right in the sensitive bits.

Maybe it was just a streak of RNG, I didn't really remember her performing like that on test either. That battle however, I was consistently hitting the NO cit and managing to go straight through.

[RLGN]
Members
13,300 posts
23,198 battles
Just now, Akeno017 said:

Maybe it was just a streak of RNG, I didn't really remember her performing like that on test either. That battle however, I was consistently hitting the NO cit and managing to go straight through.

Who knows.

Never really did more than passably well in Cleveland, but did like Pensacola.

Pensacola may be the only one of the ‘new’ cruisers I play with any regularity.

[WOLF8]
Members
433 posts
8,568 battles

The T6 Cleveland was one of my go-to ships for Operations (that needed a T6 ship).  Always seemed to do well in them when I sailed her into battle...

[TBW]
Members
9,548 posts
16,311 battles
44 minutes ago, Lert said:

Suddenly she looks way better.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,528 battles

Pensacola was underrated even as a tier 7 by the overwhelming vast majority of players. As the game matured, it did fall further and further behind the curve, but the 10x 8" guns on fast turning turrets never went away.

Pensa at tier 6 will be largely the same as it was at tier 7. The main differences are that #1) it now has much slower turning turrets, which is fine because 10x 8" guns at tier 6 is dope and #2) You fight ships ranging from tier 5 to tier 8 instead of from 5 to tier 9. That means more targets you can really mess up with the aforementioned 10x 8" guns and fewer extremely dangerous higher tier ships. The 8" guns still retain their hard hitting AP shells, useable HE shells, and the have arcs that are flat enough to be easier to shoot long range than most other USN cruisers, but still loopy enough to do a good bit of island firing. The ship is still agile enough that with good command of the map and the rudder you can avoid a lot of fire. The ship is still paper thin so if you take a good hit you'll really know about it. It honestly won't have changed very much. I expect the people who hated it to keep right on hating it and the few people who liked it will probably like it a bit more just because of slightly better MM. I doubt it's reputation will honestly change much, except maybe to become known as a glass cannon cruiser with a slightly improved ratio of cannon to glass.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

Pensacola was underrated even as a tier 7 by the overwhelming vast majority of players. As the game matured, it did fall further and further behind the curve, but the 10x 8" guns on fast turning turrets never went away.

Pensa at tier 6 will be largely the same as it was at tier 7. The main differences are that #1) it now has much slower turning turrets, which is fine because 10x 8" guns at tier 6 is dope and #2) You fight ships ranging from tier 5 to tier 8 instead of from 5 to tier 9. That means more targets you can really mess up with the aforementioned 10x 8" guns and fewer extremely dangerous higher tier ships. The 8" guns still retain their hard hitting AP shells, useable HE shells, and the have arcs that are flat enough to be easier to shoot long range than most other USN cruisers, but still loopy enough to do a good bit of island firing. The ship is still agile enough that with good command of the map and the rudder you can avoid a lot of fire. The ship is still paper thin so if you take a good hit you'll really know about it. It honestly won't have changed very much. I expect the people who hated it to keep right on hating it and the few people who liked it will probably like it a bit more just because of slightly better MM. I doubt it's reputation will honestly change much, except maybe to become known as a glass cannon cruiser with a slightly improved ratio of cannon to glass.

ok....nice.  Tks.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

Try her and see for yourself?

Personally, I find her a beast at T6. Fragile, yes, but 203mm Amercan Piercing at tier 6 is monstrous and does monstrous things.

A BEAST?  Never heard her called a beast. OK. Tks.  Lotta guns for sure. 

Members
243 posts
3,853 battles

I've played 2 games in her, and she is a strange ship, but oddly fun.

First game summed it all up: 4 citadels on an enemy Pepsi in one salvo, and then was pounded into scrap soon after. OK, yeah, ship is really fragile. Second game, 2 sunk ships and a bit over 80,000 damage. I know, that's probably awful by some standards, but for a ship with a horrible reputation, I was impressed.

All I can say is take that mod that makes your turrets turn faster in exchange for slower reload time. The reload penalty doesn't really matter, but slow turrets will get you killed since you may not even get guns on target or - worse - you'll wiggle the ship or overshoot and get clobbered while playing the guns vs. just shooting and running. 

Other than that, she's is probably now the most true "glass cannon" in the game. Staggering firepower for a cruiser at tier, and about as durable as a wad of tinfoil. Bad? I don't know yet, but she can be oddly fun to play, as I said. If nothing else, playing her will make you a better cruiser player since most other cruisers are durable in comparison.

Edited by old_radagast