You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Dev Q&A -- Mouse relays your Game Balance questions

87 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,581 posts
9,403 battles

48m4YOd.png

Hey, guys. I'm touching base here quickly while I'm hard at work finishing a review.  This is important though, so I wanted to get this out:  The Devs will be hosting a Q&A session with the Community Contributors regarding SHIP BALANCE.  Rather than just come up with some of my own, I thought I would give you all the opportunity to ask some.  So give me your ship balance questions.  I can't promise to relay them all (or in the exact wording), but I will do what I can to ensure that your queries are brought up.  I also can't guarantee the devs will answer them, but we can certainly give it a try.  Here's some quick do's and don'ts.

DO:

• Be polite with your questions.
  • Ask open ended questions so you get more than a yes/no answer.
  • Keep your questions related specifically to SHIP BALANCE only.

DON'T:

• Be a pud.
  • Try and corner the devs with a leading question.
  • Phrase your questions in an attempt to cast shade / criticism on design decisions.
  • Stray off topic.  This isn't the place to ask about Vanguard / Alaska / Upcoming releases, Matchmaking, new maps, etc.

The surest way to ensure I don't pass on your question is to be a chowderhead.  So don't do it.  I will be collecting the questions here at the end of the day with a summary of all of  the ones I'm passing onto the devs.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
4,583 battles

how did you come to your conclusion on Stalingrad and Kronsdat being the way they are in terms of stats and tier placement? are they any plans for ships like this in the future?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,089 posts
17,161 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

DON'T:

• Be a pud.

Well, that's me out.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

What is the actual balance goal for carriers? That is, what is the role that they are intended to do, what is WG's goal for what role in the team these ships are intended to fulfill?

Also what is being done to address the large balance disparity between USN and IJN carriers, which appears to be even more destabilized after the USN air wing changes?

I know that the skill impact is one thing that the devs want to try and narrow, but the different capabilities between the existing lines is also a source of confusion and frustration for players.

• Cool 6

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,853 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Well, that's me out.

:Smile_veryhappy: oh Lert, such a grumpy cat.

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles

Has there been any increase in Shimakaze performance after her buff based on server stats?

Are there at the moment any premium ships that are considered weak and are improvements considered for them?

At the moment  Queen Elizabeth has a 72 second turret traverse.  It is often painful to play her just because of that. Will a small quality of life change be considered, same as in the Warspite?

Members
409 posts
1,503 battles

I'd like to know how they determine if a ship is under or over performing, what is their methodology?

Members
891 posts
11,233 battles

Are there or has there been any plans to buff the armor of the Omaha and her sister ships from 10mm of armor to 13mm?  I ask this question because when the Emerald and Emile were introduced, both originally started out with 10mm of armor, however due to complaints they were later buffed to 13mm of armor (I.E. Easy citadel hits even with HE).  Currently the ship and her sisters show no sign of troubling W/R.  However in order to avoid misinterpretation for the lack of buffs (Example: "That's because the developers don't play their own game!") and maintain decent consistency amongst all T5 Cruisers, I believe the buff would be a beneficial step to improving this ship's biggest drawbacks, as well as her sisters.  This, from me, is all in the name of "Balance" as LWM wrote here, the balance here being that every T5 Cruiser has a base of 13mm of armor (bow and aft).  Thank you for taking the time in reading this post, I await eagerly for your response.  I also want to thank you LWM for setting this up for the community and still being that important ambassador for all us WOWS players. 

P.S.

Konigsberg as well has 10mm of armor, just fyi if you want to do something about that as well.  Thanks again!

Edited by Airglide2
  • Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,771 posts
27,623 battles

Similar to the proposed T10 special upgrade for DM, can the acceleration on Atlanta be buffed to be more closely aligned with it's peek-a-boo, island hugging, DD with a citadel playstyle?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
29 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

What is the actual balance goal for carriers? That is, what is the role that they are intended to do, what is WG's goal for what role in the team these ships are intended to fulfill?

This is something I'd very much like to know as well. And not in the sense that they want to move from an RTS to an action style.

Members
1,187 posts
6,087 battles

1. Is there a chance that in the near future, the tier 5 US cruiser, Omaha, and/or tier 5 German cruiser, Konigsberg, will get 13 mm of bow and stern armor that other tier 5 cruisers have like the Emerald, Emile Bertin, Furutaka, and Kirov have?

2. As you introduce new ships to the game, how do you use the feedback from Super Testers, the Public Test Server, and after an update goes live to minimize "power creep" allowing some of the original, older veteran ship platforms to remain viable and competitive to play in WoW? Do you rely more on the hard statistics from the database on how ships are performing or from the responses of the testers and players on how a ship is performing?

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
6,155 battles

WG has a stance that premium ships will not be modified after release.  Can we get some clarity regarding this stance, in terms of reasoning and potential changes?  I feel that some premium ships need a balance pass to make them more enjoyable to play with (in the case of UP) or against (in the case of OP) and am curious if there is any chance this will ever happen.

Members
891 posts
11,233 battles
1 minute ago, MorbidGamer said:

I find the game to be pretty well balanced aside from CV's. So I'm racking my brain to even think of a question.

"Will CV airplane's health be buffed after the rework?  Considering that these new USN Cruisers AA is so much more devastating than 2015-2016 USN Cruiser AA?  Or in preparation of further DDs/BBs with better AA?"  

Members
2,255 posts
Just now, Airglide2 said:

"Will CV airplane's health be buffed after the rework?  Considering that these new USN Cruisers AA is so much more devastating than 2015-2016 USN Cruiser AA?  Or in preparation of further DDs/BBs with better AA?"  

Dear God, I hope they don't buff CV planes. 

I want my Atago AA to be historic then.

[SBS]
Members
5,193 posts
2,408 battles

With the ever increasing number of ships with radar (including the new powerful, battleship like, Russian radar cruisers) how do you see this effecting the overall balance for destroyers?  

Members
1,051 posts
4,673 battles
16 minutes ago, Kochira said:

I'd like to know how they determine if a ship is under or over performing, what is their methodology?

Speaking from memory here, and I could be wrong.  

WG takes a look at distinct populations of the players who use a ship.  This means that they look at the super-unicums, and compare their stats to their stats on other ships.  This checks to see if the ship is overperforming, or the playerbase is skewed.  They then take the average potato and see if the ship makes them perform better.  Finally they take a look at the sub-par players and determine if the ship is dragging up their play.  If the ship makes everyone play better, its overpowered.  If the ship makes the super-unicums play better, but the rest of the playerbase play worse, chance is that it's a high skill ceiling ship.  The big difference between an overperforming and an overpowered ship is the players who use that ship.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,952 posts
12,083 battles

What is the thought process behind izumo being left in such an uncompetitive state? It's the only t9 bb that is genuinely useless. It's not fast, it's not well armored, it's eats massive amounts of HE damage, and it's back turret is absolutely useless. I think if we flipped that turret around so it's like Nelson's, the ship would be absolutely incredible, and a truly competitive t9 bb.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,114 posts
20,344 battles
55 minutes ago, Lert said:

Well, that's me out.

It's Pud, not puddy cat

[WOLF1]
Members
247 posts
48,624 battles
23 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Do you have any plans to try to add armored cruisers?

And, to add to this question, will we ever see any more pre-dreadnought battleships, or any of the early battlecruisers? 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
56 minutes ago, Lert said:

Well, that's me out.

Yeah; gives me a free afternoon too!

[--K--]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,339 battles

What are WG balancing team's thoughts on the Giulio Cesare? From publicly available stats the ship seems to be over performing relative to its peers by a wide margin and the ship seems to be a prime target for getting the Nikolai treatment.