You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

So, how are the heavies (new and not new) treating you so far?

123 comments in this topic

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

How are the heavy cruisers performing for you at their new tiers? What about the Buffalo? Do the re-tiered heavy cruisers feel better, worse, or about the same at their new tiers?

-Pensacola

-New Orleans

-Baltimore

[ADR]
Members
4,447 posts
15,465 battles

ships seem fine,  the player base,  seems on par with it's normal self,  hot garbage

Edited by Shadowrigger1

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles
5 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

ships seem fine,  the player base,  seems on par with it's normal self,  hot garbage

I agree about the players............ We're in for a ripe potato harvest.

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
12 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

How are the heavy cruisers performing for you at their new tiers? What about the Buffalo? Do the re-tiered heavy cruisers feel better, worse, or about the same at their new tiers?

-Pensacola

-New Orleans

-Baltimore

I took the Buffalo out for a couple of spins. Hardly any modules, no upgrades and 8 point captain

Still had a blast

Thing reloads like a machine gun......pew pew pew.

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

I will play NO at Tier 7 first, get her to 165 battles like the old Tier 7 Pensacola, and see what people think of Pensacola at Tier 6. Might even move up to Tier 8 with the Baltimore, but I'll see. I'm still quite conservative about not going past Tier 7.

[LUCK]
Members
1,765 posts
27,513 battles
13 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

-Pensacola

-New Orleans

-Baltimore

I can't wait to see T6 cruisers with Baltimore. I know what those SHS shells do to T7 cruisers and up.

Losing the heal is a downer though.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,410 posts

Pensa has great guns...but it really doesn't matter since you can't keep your guns on the target.....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,729 posts
21,817 battles
22 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

Potato results:

pompeii-1-ht-er-180529_hpMain_4x3_992.jp

• Funny 3

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Just waiting for @IronWolfV to eat crow about how Pensacola could only work in tier 6 after "massive" nerfs such as removing multiple guns or even an entire turret.

A slight tap on concealment and traverse are hardly massive.

27 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Pensa has great guns...but it really doesn't matter since you can't keep your guns on the target.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Oddly not a problem for anyone who's played IJN cruisers.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[NUWES]
Members
2,860 posts
9,350 battles
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Just waiting for @IronWolfV to eat crow about how Pensacola could only work in tier 6 after "massive" nerfs such as removing multiple guns or even an entire turret.

A slight tap on concealment and traverse are hardly massive.

Oddly not a problem for anyone who's played IJN cruisers.

The turret traverse is manageable, the concealment is the ugly part. Pensacola can obliterate same tier cruisers and take a chunk out of BBs that angle badly, but the poor concealment and gigantic citadel makes life difficult, and  you certainly can't perform any scouting function with it. (Which is odd because the Pensacolas were intended as fleet scouts.) You really need to stay behind your allies to get help with spotting. If a BB sees you before you see it you're good as dead.  You have to be really careful but it is really rewarding when you know what you are doing with it. 

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles
4 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

The turret traverse is manageable, the concealment is the ugly part. Pensacola can obliterate same tier cruisers and take a chunk out of BBs that angle badly, but the poor concealment and gigantic citadel makes life difficult, and  you certainly can't perform any scouting function with it. (Which is odd because the Pensacolas were intended as fleet scouts.) You really need to stay behind your allies to get help with spotting. If a BB sees you before you see it you're good as dead.  You have to be really careful but it is really rewarding when you know what you are doing with it. 

Yuck, so she is quite a step down from her Tier 7 version. Guess I;ll just play the Tier 7 New Orleans.

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Huh?  Every one of those weaknesses existed in the T7 version of the ship, it just has a better matchmaking spread now...

• Cool 2

Members
2,055 posts
6,284 battles

Message to all DD players for the next couple of days stay clear. There are so many radar ships out there its instant death. Just got out of a game with 8 Buffalo's. It felt like 15 minutes of radar.  

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,729 posts
21,817 battles
3 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

Message to all DD players for the next couple of days stay clear. There are so many radar ships out there its instant death. Just got out of a game with 8 Buffalo's. It felt like 15 minutes of radar.  

:Smile_hiding:

[HOT]
[HOT]
Members
562 posts
15,711 battles
1 hour ago, MG1962 said:

I took the Buffalo out for a couple of spins. Hardly any modules, no upgrades and 8 point captain

Still had a blast

Thing reloads like a machine gun......pew pew pew.

You didn't play the Buffalo. Its not a machine gun. Its a glacier. 13 second reload.

• Cool 1

Supertester
80 posts
5,255 battles
13 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

My god I am so sorry XD

Members
385 posts
5,041 battles
17 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I played on the Test server, and found the stock turret traverse is problematic, after all the upgrades, it is a manageable at 34, but not the 45 of the stock ship, I didn't find that to be manageable.  I agree about the concealment being a issue.  It makes everything more difficult, from positioning to disengaging.   BB's have always had your number when in the Pepsi, just before you could run and at the same time put your guns to use, now this is more difficult as well.

Looking forward to trying the new re-tiered cruisers on the live server.  I liked the old Pepsi at tier 7, and I'm hoping the NO will fill its shoes.  

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
13 minutes ago, MackDye said:

You didn't play the Buffalo. Its not a machine gun. Its a glacier. 13 second reload.

Sorry I miss spoke I meant the Baltimore. 

[WOLF3]
Members
24,729 posts
21,817 battles

I can only imagine.  Days ago I had to deal with in my Hsienyang 3 Missouri, 1 Baltimore, 1 Atlanta on the enemy team.  The best part was seeing most of them in my area at the start.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
36 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

And yet the massive buff of "No longer encounters tier 9" offsets a lot of that, I think.

• Boring 2

Members
1,187 posts
6,084 battles

So far, the only heavy cruiser I've played on the live server since the 0.7.5 update is the tier 6 Pensacola.

As my I found with my experience on part 2 of the test server, the nerf to the 'Cola's turret traverse is too much IMO. Even with the Expert Marksman commander skill and the Main Battery Mod 2 upgrade, her turret traverse speed for 180-degree rotation is 34 seconds. It's fine for midrange engagements at 9.5 to 12.5 km and at longer ranges of 13 to 15.5 km, but this becomes problematic if you get into knife fighting range with a DD as the gun turrets have trouble tracking the speed of the enemy ship at 8.5 km and under.

Outside of that, the ship is fun at tier 6. Her 203 mm guns will put a hurting on enemy cruisers and BBs if they dare present their broadside. But she is not as forgiving as the Cleveland at tier 6 if you make a mistake in her.

Edited by daVinci761st
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

So far, I've only played the tier 6 Pensacola on the live server.

As my I found with my experience on part 2 of the test server, the nerf to the 'Cola's turret traverse is too much IMO. Even with the Expert Marksman commander skill and the Main Battery Mod 2 upgrade, her turret traverse speed for 180-degree rotation is 34 seconds. It's fine for midrange engagements at 9.5 to 12.5 km and at longer ranges of 13 to 15.5 km, but this becomes problematic if you get into knife fighting range with a DD as the gun turrets have trouble tracking the speed of the enemy ship at 8.5 km and under.

Outside of that, the ship is fun at tier 6. Her 203 mm guns will put a hurting on enemy cruisers and BBs if they dare present their broadside. But she is not as forgiving as the Cleveland at tier 6 if you make a mistake in her.

Yeah. Not a problem. Anyone who's played IJN cruisers from Furutaka to at least Mogami has already gotten used to this.

USN cruisers are spoiled by lightning-fast traverse, the second they get a little slow, despite still being faster than the IJN 20.3cm twins, it's suddenly unplayable.

You shouldn't be knife-fighting in Pensacola anyway. Even destroyer AP will shred your citadel.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
27 minutes ago, K538 said:

Huh?  Every one of those weaknesses existed in the T7 version of the ship, it just has a better matchmaking spread now...

No it isn’t, her matchmaking spread the same minus T9. Which really doesn’t help much because T7s usually didn’t see many T9s in the first place. You’re basically playing a stock Pensacola against the same competition.

The way you did well in a Pensacola was to constantly maneuver to dodge shots. With the  new slower turret traverse you have two choices: keep maneuvering and do less damage per game because your guns aren’t on target, or limit your maneuvering and take more hits. Essential your choice is to do less damage per game or die faster than the T7 version. 

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

No it isn’t, her matchmaking spread the same minus T9. Which really doesn’t help much because T7s usually didn’t see many T9s in the first place. You’re basically playing a stock Pensacola against the same competition.

The way you did well in a Pensacola was to constantly maneuver to dodge shots. With the  new slower turret traverse you have two choices: keep maneuvering and do less damage per game because your guns aren’t on target, or limit your maneuvering and take more hits. Essential your choice is to do less damage per game or die faster than the T7 version. 

So basically

You play it like a 10-gun Aoba.

Because that's exactly how Aoba plays.

I disagree that tier 7 "usually didn't see many T9s", too. It was about 50/50 whether you're bottom or top tier, in T7. This is a significant change for Pensacola.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
27,082 posts
7,217 battles
37 minutes ago, K538 said:

To be fair, they had buffed the concealment, but reverted it for T6.

It is now once again visible from orbit.

• Cool 1