You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SchnauzahPowah_1

Hey folks. Newb here with a few Qs

37 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
65 battles

Dowloaded the game a few days back with roughly 50 battles. In over my head a bit. What are some newb friendly and forgiving lines to start with?  I've played a bit of wot and I know it's different but are any tactics going to carry over? 

Also what are decent first captain skills per class and a good low tier premium ship for making $

Thanks 

• Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles

Hey, first of all welcome. Secondly, you might want to try benefiting from the WoWs referral program:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/

It gives you some free stuff if you reach certain thresholds, including 2 premium ships; one the moment you play one battle, and a tier V premium when you play your first battle in a Tier VI. However I think you will have to make a new account if you are over Service level 3. Something to consider if you haven't progressed that far.

In general Battleships are newb friendly ships. However it might be worth grinding at the same time at least a cruiser line. Shooting more with cruisers that have a quick reload compared to Battleships will help you learn easier and faster how to shoot.

The only thing that I can think on the top of my head regarding this game and WoT, is that as in WoT, terrain can play a very important role, often giving you cover to shoot enemies undetected or being able to disengage.

Class skills can often be ship specific, so at this stage it might be a good idea to check the wiki on a few of the recommended builds and see how they work for you. As for good low tier premium ships, here most of the good ones that can make a reasonable amount of credits start at tier VI. 

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,064 posts
9,463 battles

there are no newb friendly lines. I think most captains stay cruiser at first, but i think that is a mistake.  try them all and figure out which ship type from which nation suits your play style. I do not recommend a low tier premium, low tier play economy is about ship experience, ship experience is not transferred from a premium for free. and most of the enjoyable game is at higher tiers. and you can get low tier premiums through missions later. 

I recommend referring to the WIKI for a good baseline on modules and captain skills per ship. Then, adapt the skills to fit your play style. 

Good Luck and Have Fun (GLHF)

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,548 posts
16,311 battles
33 minutes ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

Dowloaded the game a few days back with roughly 50 battles. In over my head a bit. What are some newb friendly and forgiving lines to start with?  I've played a bit of wot and I know it's different but are any tactics going to carry over? 

Also what are decent first captain skills per class and a good low tier premium ship for making $

Thanks 

If you are not above service level 3 you can get 2 free premiums through the invite a friend program. If you are past level 3, you would have to start a new account or not play for 60 days to be able to use invite a friend. https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/xxEVbe1

YouTube has many videos on tactics. As far as which lines to start with, BBs are probably the most forgiving. So Germans or Brits I would say. I started with Cruisers, they may be arguably the hardest type of ship to learn. It really depends on how you want to play. If you like to fire your guns often BBs may not be your first choice. If you are a stealth player and like to surprise attack you might consider DDs. CVs will be going through changes sometime in the future (take notice I didn't say near future, but it could be). Game play for CVs will change when ever that occurs.

Premium ships I would read @LittleWhiteMousereviews on them. If Miss Mouse has done a review on the ship, it will have a link to her review in the wiki for that ship. She has reviewed most if not all premiums.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

The wiki is a wealth of information reading the whole thing is not a bad Idea.

Welcome aboard, Fair seas and Good RNGs

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,547 posts
33,577 battles

Welcome aboard captain!
Lots of good folks and good material here,plus many excellent Community Contributors in YouTube.

(Some of them: Notser, iChase, NoZoupForYou, Aerroon, Flamu, Jingles, Capt_Rye, and more)

Battleships (BBs) are more newb friendly, Cruisers (low Tiers are CL, higher tiers are mostly CA with a few CLs thrown in) are squishier but fun. DDs are the toughest to do well in (and my fav). They come oin gunboat and torpedo boat flavors mostly, with some hybrids thrown in.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
9,548 posts
16,311 battles
17 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Hey, first of all welcome. Secondly, you might want to try benefiting from the WoWs referral program:

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/

It gives you some free stuff if you reach certain thresholds, including 2 premium ships; one the moment you play one battle, and a tier V premium when you play your first battle in a Tier VI. However I think you will have to make a new account if you are over Service level 3. Something to consider if you haven't progressed that far.

In general Battleships are newb friendly ships. However it might be worth grinding at the same time at least a cruiser line. Shooting more with cruisers that have a quick reload compared to Battleships will help you learn easier and faster how to shoot.

The only thing that I can think on the top of my head regarding this game and WoT, is that as in WoT, terrain can play a very important role, often giving you cover to shoot enemies undetected or being able to disengage.

Class skills can often be ship specific, so at this stage it might be a good idea to check the wiki on a few of the recommended builds and see how they work for you. As for good low tier premium ships, here most of the good ones that can make a reasonable amount of credits start at tier VI. 

I was not plagiarizing.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,663 posts
12,121 battles
3 minutes ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

Thanks 

Armor angling is a thing, and so are bad teams. That's about all they have in common.

iChase has a good series of tutorials, most of which are still valid.

Most important tips I can give you are, Watch your mini-map, maintain situational awareness, and think ahead. Those 3 will serve you better than anything else.

As far as premiums,  Dunkerque is good, the premium tier 6 cruisers in the shop are representative of their countries, if you think you'd like that countries play style, then they are good choices. The Yubari is one of the really unforgiving boats, and the Tachibana isn't gonna make much in the way of credits, but it's a blast. HSF Graf Spee or the normal Graf Spee are very odd ships, good buys, but they are truly unique with the hybrid battleship - cruiser playstyle. 

All battleships lines are fairly forgiving, the IJN and US lines probably the least so. For the US line, they start painfully slow, so planning ahead is vital. The IJN lines requires good armor angling from the start, usually have the speed to get you into trouble before you realize it, and are something of a "sniper trap" in that people see the gun range and try and be snipers, which no battleships in this game are.

Cruisers are cruisers, not much else to say about them. Have to think a lot to stay alive in them, and each lines has it's own style.

DD's come in two flavors, gun DD's and IJN torpbotes, some can do both. Life can be short and exciting.

CV's are getting reworked in the near future (whatever that means), if nothing else, eventually get one to tier 6 so you can see how they actually work, which makes them easier to deal with.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
5,327 posts
16,612 battles

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on broadside ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu, BIA World of Warships, Lord Zath Replay Theater and even the Mighty Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles
12 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I was not plagiarizing.

Hahah, no sweat, this is pretty common advice, it was bound to have some similarities :Smile-_tongue:.

• Cool 1

Members
13 posts
65 battles

Wow, thanks for the deluge of knowledge :Smile_great:

The refer program sounds nice although I believe I'm service level 10 already. 

Can I simply create another account or will it void the current one? How exactly does that work? Btw I'm a console peasant, logged many wot battle on the xb1 and got ahold of a 2013 era pc on ultra, ultra low graphic settings :Smile_hiding:

[KWF]
Members
3,940 posts
5,946 battles
2 minutes ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

Can I simply create another account or will it void the current one? How exactly does that work? Btw I'm a console peasant, logged many wot battle on the xb1 and got ahold of a 2013 era pc on ultra, ultra low graphic settings :Smile_hiding:

You will have to create a new account with a new name sadly. If you don't mind losing the progress you have however, it can be pretty helpful later on. You can use @Sovereigndawg

code for the referral.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,548 posts
16,311 battles
3 minutes ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

You would have to start a new one and the this one would be gone (well there, but probably left dormant) but if you find yourself not playing the game for 60 days or more you can use the Invite a friend then.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,746 posts
14,466 battles
58 minutes ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

a good low tier premium ship for making $

You probably want a premium ship of the same nation/line you plan on playing. The idea being you can swap captains back and forth to retrain them to new ships. This could mean you don't get the best premium out there (but try to avoid any LWM says are garbage or probably meh when starting out). Good players can make bad ships work. You sound too new to know if you will be a good player. You have the right idea to stick to a low tier premium. Too many try to jump straight into the deep end of the pool before they have learned to swim just because World of Warships will let you.

• Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Avoid using premiums to skip ahead through the tiers.

Better to get a firm grounding in tiers I through V.

Read all of the pinned threads in the New Player Guide Forum.

Learn to use the forum search function. The advanced features make it more powerful than you might expect.

Have fun.

• Cool 1

Members
13 posts
65 battles

Ok I'll most likely create a new account, I'm only at t3 In 2 lines so better to refresh now I reckon 

I'll get my troglodyte on this wknd and grind back up 

A few of you mentioned some good content streamers/reviewers... thank you. Who'd be a couple to watch out for as far as twitch 

I.e. I watch quickybaby for wot , whom is knowledgable and explanatory during stream etc. 

Members
13 posts
65 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

If you are not above service level 3 you can get 2 free premiums through the invite a friend program. If you are past level 3, you would have to start a new account or not play for 60 days to be able to use invite a friend. https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/xxEVbe1

YouTube has many videos on tactics. As far as which lines to start with, BBs are probably the most forgiving. So Germans or Brits I would say. I started with Cruisers, they may be arguably the hardest type of ship to learn. It really depends on how you want to play. If you like to fire your guns often BBs may not be your first choice. If you are a stealth player and like to surprise attack you might consider DDs. CVs will be going through changes sometime in the future (take notice I didn't say near future, but it could be). Game play for CVs will change when ever that occurs.

Premium ships I would read @LittleWhiteMousereviews on them. If Miss Mouse has done a review on the ship, it will have a link to her review in the wiki for that ship. She has reviewed most if not all premiums.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

The wiki is a wealth of information reading the whole thing is not a bad Idea.

Welcome aboard, Fair seas and Good RNGs

Thank you for the offer/invite , I've created another account 

:Smile_honoring:

[TBW]
Members
9,548 posts
16,311 battles
27 minutes ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

Thank you for the offer/invite , I've created another account 

:Smile_honoring:

Your welcome, I was too far along when I found out about the invite a friend. I took advantage of it on the EU server though.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
12 hours ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

A few of you mentioned some good content streamers/reviewers... thank you. Who'd be a couple to watch out for as far as twitch

Mejash is a great Twitch streamer to watch--very good at the game, very interactive with his chat, and keeps things fun and positive.  The "catch" is that he streams other games as well, but he generally puts in at least a few hours of Warships 6 days per week.

Notser also streams, though less often.  He's maybe not quite on Mejash's level in terms of gameplay, but his knowledge of the game and positivity are outstanding.

Flambass and Flamu are both excellent players who stream pretty regularly (though on an EU schedule), but they both tend to get a bit salty during their games; if you can handle that aspect then you can learn a lot by watching each of them play.

Welcome to Ships and the forums! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
13 posts
65 battles
10 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Mejash is a great Twitch streamer to watch--very good at the game, very interactive with his chat, and keeps things fun and positive.  The "catch" is that he streams other games as well, but he generally puts in at least a few hours of Warships 6 days per week.

Notser also streams, though less often.  He's maybe not quite on Mejash's level in terms of gameplay, but his knowledge of the game and positivity are outstanding.

Flambass and Flamu are both excellent players who stream pretty regularly (though on an EU schedule), but they both tend to get a bit salty during their games; if you can handle that aspect then you can learn a lot by watching each of them play.

Welcome to Ships and the forums! :Smile_honoring:

I'll check em out! Thank you 

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles
On 5/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

Thanks 

Welcome to the game!

If you would like, I have invite codes that would give you a premium tier 5 ship (Marblehead), 3 days of premium, and 250k silver, and a referral code. Just PM me if you want them, and I can send them to you as soon as I can.

As for noob friendly and forgiving lines, I'd say the German, French, or British BB lines are quite forgiving:

• German BBs have turtleback, meaning that they pretty much are immune to citadel damage (aka critical hits) and are pretty great at brawling
  • French BBs are fast and have a lot of guns, although they are a bit fragile
  • British BBs have good HE and the higher tiers also have monstrous heals
  • Cool 2

Members
13 posts
65 battles
6 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Welcome to the game!

If you would like, I have invite codes that would give you a premium tier 5 ship (Marblehead), 3 days of premium, and 250k silver, and a referral code. Just PM me if you want them, and I can send them to you as soon as I can.

As for noob friendly and forgiving lines, I'd say the German, French, or British BB lines are quite forgiving:

• German BBs have turtleback, meaning that they pretty much are immune to citadel damage (aka critical hits) and are pretty great at brawling
  • French BBs are fast and have a lot of guns, although they are a bit fragile
  • British BBs have good HE and the higher tiers also have monstrous heals

Thanks for the offer on the invite codes, someone was kind enough to offer another version of an invite code in which I made another account for. If I can use it with a freshly made account I'd be thankful to take it off your hands. If not, hopefully another newb can utilize the code.

Good tips for the BB lines, thanks.

Seems like the French lines are a lot like the lines in WoT - good guns - fairly often, bad aspects most every thing else 

Members
1,684 posts
8,058 battles

First, wait till you grind up to a tier before you buy a premium ship for that tier. In this game, premiums are more for crew training than for credits (tough they’re good for both), so you’ll do better with something in the tier 6-8 range (generally though of as "mid-tier" than with anything 5 or below. Tier 5 faces the most brutal matchmakingnin the game, so it’s particularly not for the faint of heart. 

Second, don’t let yourself compare warship roles to tank roles, at all. As compared to WOT, we generally move a lot more, and don’t try anything that requires quickly poking out then backing in to cover. 

One of the biggest differences between this game and WOT is that every ship can sink every other ship. WoT has a lot of matchups where a low tier gun can’t got through higher tier armo, or you end up needing to precisely hit a cupola or something. In WoWs, every ship has armor of varying thickness, and some of it will take good damage from any gun you use. Also, HE in this game can hurt at least some parts of every ship, and ignite fires; fires and floods are the great equalizer, since they do damage based on the victim's maximum health. You can sink a tier 10 Yamato with a tier 3 Saint Louis by hitting its decks and superstructure with HE and setting it on fire from bow to stern.

In many cases, what a ship does to protect itself at lower tiers will work against higher tiers as well. For example, my tier 6 Arizona has thick enough armor that it could angle against the tier 10 Yamato’s 18-inch guns, the biggest guns in the game, even though what the Arizona commonly faces are 11 to 16 inch guns the same angling tactic that works against other tier 6s will work against tier 10s. 

For starting, I’d actually recommend the USN or IJN BB lines, but not because theyre noob-friendly. They are the less forgiving lines, but they have very high skill ceilings. They force you to learn the things that help with other lines. The German and British battleships have simply superior armor schemes, but that leads to a lot of players making it to tier 8 or 10 and still sailing broadside to 16”-armed beasts. The British have good enough HE that they don’t seem to learn when to use AP and how to place shots well, and the Germans have great secondaries which can help to cover up their poor gunnery.

I’m not trying to say anything bad about people playing both those lines, but the things you learn about how to chose positions in the slow USN "standard" battleships at tier 6 help you with plotting moves with some of the comparatively sluggish behemoths at tier 10. German BBs can rely on their "turtleback" and sail around showing their broadsides all day, but the way you learn tomangle to protect a Kongō at tier 5 still applies when you are facing Yamatos with their "shoot through everything" guns at tier 10. 

Basically, the German and British battleships forgive you for not knowing how the game works (though experts can still improve them), while the IJN and USN lines won’t let you progress until you know how to play. 

(That said, the USN line sucks up to tier 5, and IJN up to tier 4, but tier 6 is kinda where most ship lines really take shape.)

• Cool 1

Members
13 posts
65 battles
20 hours ago, inktomi19d said:

First, wait till you grind up to a tier before you buy a premium ship for that tier. In this game, premiums are more for crew training than for credits (tough they’re good for both), so you’ll do better with something in the tier 6-8 range (generally though of as "mid-tier" than with anything 5 or below. Tier 5 faces the most brutal matchmakingnin the game, so it’s particularly not for the faint of heart. 

Second, don’t let yourself compare warship roles to tank roles, at all. As compared to WOT, we generally move a lot more, and don’t try anything that requires quickly poking out then backing in to cover. 

One of the biggest differences between this game and WOT is that every ship can sink every other ship. WoT has a lot of matchups where a low tier gun can’t got through higher tier armo, or you end up needing to precisely hit a cupola or something. In WoWs, every ship has armor of varying thickness, and some of it will take good damage from any gun you use. Also, HE in this game can hurt at least some parts of every ship, and ignite fires; fires and floods are the great equalizer, since they do damage based on the victim's maximum health. You can sink a tier 10 Yamato with a tier 3 Saint Louis by hitting its decks and superstructure with HE and setting it on fire from bow to stern.

In many cases, what a ship does to protect itself at lower tiers will work against higher tiers as well. For example, my tier 6 Arizona has thick enough armor that it could angle against the tier 10 Yamato’s 18-inch guns, the biggest guns in the game, even though what the Arizona commonly faces are 11 to 16 inch guns the same angling tactic that works against other tier 6s will work against tier 10s. 

For starting, I’d actually recommend the USN or IJN BB lines, but not because theyre noob-friendly. They are the less forgiving lines, but they have very high skill ceilings. They force you to learn the things that help with other lines. The German and British battleships have simply superior armor schemes, but that leads to a lot of players making it to tier 8 or 10 and still sailing broadside to 16”-armed beasts. The British have good enough HE that they don’t seem to learn when to use AP and how to place shots well, and the Germans have great secondaries which can help to cover up their poor gunnery.

I’m not trying to say anything bad about people playing both those lines, but the things you learn about how to chose positions in the slow USN "standard" battleships at tier 6 help you with plotting moves with some of the comparatively sluggish behemoths at tier 10. German BBs can rely on their "turtleback" and sail around showing their broadsides all day, but the way you learn tomangle to protect a Kongō at tier 5 still applies when you are facing Yamatos with their "shoot through everything" guns at tier 10. 

Basically, the German and British battleships forgive you for not knowing how the game works (though experts can still improve them), while the IJN and USN lines won’t let you progress until you know how to play. 

(That said, the USN line sucks up to tier 5, and IJN up to tier 4, but tier 6 is kinda where most ship lines really take shape.)

Sounds like some good info, thanks

I'm up to t3 In the German so i got the Nassau, although the main guns seem kinda lackluster so I'm sluggish on grinding that out as my main 

Working up the American line in cruisers,  currently at Phoenix which is my highest tier ship. Really liking it a lot. Quick direction changes, decent mains and great speed as well as a few torps just incase 

DDs I'm not liking so much , I just find it sketchy running in to the thick of it and trying to escape when I hardly understand torps to begin with 

Members
1,684 posts
8,058 battles
54 minutes ago, SchnauzahPowah_1 said:

Sounds like some good info, thanks

I'm up to t3 In the German so i got the Nassau, although the main guns seem kinda lackluster so I'm sluggish on grinding that out as my main 

Working up the American line in cruisers,  currently at Phoenix which is my highest tier ship. Really liking it a lot. Quick direction changes, decent mains and great speed as well as a few torps just incase 

DDs I'm not liking so much , I just find it sketchy running in to the thick of it and trying to escape when I hardly understand torps to begin with 

All the BBs have crummy guns at tier 3. The first really good guns are on the IJN's tier 3 Myogi, but you only get 6 guns, and 4 are in the back, so it’s still challenging, and thought by many to be one of the worst ships in the game. The earliest battleship with really good guns is the IJN Kongo at tier 5 (which still only has 8 guns, so it’s still a bit prone to RNG) and then the USN's New Mexico at tier 6. That said, battleships are "easy" in that you tend to live through mistakes, but it takes practice to get the most out of their guns. 

DDs should probably be the last thing you try. You kinda need to know what everyone else is going to do before getting good with them. They have highly different play styles between the lines too.

If you’re liking the Phoenix, you’ll probably like the Omaha too (its basically an improved Phoenix). The Omaha will be a challenge though, because tier 5 faces the harshest matchmaking in the game. Get used to hitting at max range, shooting over islands, "going dark" (getting out of your regular detection range and ceasing fire) and finding other was to shoot without getting shot at, because most enemies you face at tier 5 will have far better accuracy and range than you’re fighting at tier 4. 

At tier 5 and below, cruisers don’t have enough armor for angling or bow-tanking to matter much, but at tier 6 most cruisers can bounce AP fired from most other cruisers if they point their bow directly at the firer, and they have a chance of angling to bounce a larger variety of shells off the side.

At tier 6, the USN switches to "heavy" cruisers (which refers to the guns, definitely not the armor) which have very accurate guns with a 15-16 km range (a good shot will put all your rounds on target with those guns, as opposed to BBs which will scatter half their shots even with perfect aim). That 8" gun stays mostly the same up to tier 10, with the tier 8+ versions using a slower but harder-hitting AP shell (they are a bit harder to aim at long range, but their damage is 5000 instead of 4600). The USN heavy cruiser line is really about the guns. WG uses soft stats like reload and turret traverse, to balance them, but it also kinda highlights what I mentioned before, about any ship being able to sink any other ship — unlike in World of Tanks, at tier 6 you already have guns which are most different from their tier 10 counterparts due to soft stats. 

In any line you play, tier 5 is going to be rough, and as a rule tier 6 starts to give you ships that show most of the potential of the line. Tier 5 puts you against 16” battleship guns, radar, and torpedoes launched from 3 or 4 km beyond the range where the DD would be spotted, but you get there in ships which aren’t overpowered fighting tier 4 stuff. You skip from being the biggest kid in elementary school at tier 4, to being the littlest kid in high school at tier 5. It’s fine if you switch lines a few times early, or if you spend more time in the lower tiers.

Personally, I started with cruisers to tier 6, went back to BBs till tier 8, then to DDs to tier 8, then cruisers to tier 8, then BBs to 10, then cruisers to 10. 

• Cool 1