You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Cleveland commander question

17 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
4,257 posts
12,274 battles

I've been using the same catain skills for all my US cruisers, EL, EM, BFT & CE. 11pt commander is my highest. Is there any reason to change for the T8 Cleveland commander?

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,994 battles
5 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I've been using the same catain skills for all my US cruisers, EL, EM, BFT & CE. 11pt commander is my highest. Is there any reason to change for the T8 Cleveland commander?

Not really. I use PT instead of EL, but that is personal preference.

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
379 posts
11,616 battles

I would use Priority Target as T1 skill, but Expert Loader works too. your preference

I would use Adrenaline Rush for T2 skill, as T8 Cleveland has turret rotation buffed to 18s, so Expert Marksman isn't really necessary

BFT is very viable at T3, though I opted for Superintendent for more consumables as you do have a lot. Again, your choice.

Concealment is good at T4.

Your next pick should definitely be IFHE at 14 points. After that, you should also think about AFT at 18 pts, then you have 1 more for whatever. (Priority like I mentioned, or Preventive Maintenance)

Alternatively, you can skip AFT and get Demo Expert at T3 + plus jack of all trades for consumable cooldown at T2. Depends on how much you value your AA

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,662 posts
12,121 battles
5 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

No, if you liked how it ran before, it should still work fine now. You might want IFHE as the minimum plating thickness on targets just went up for the Cleveland. I use AP, so it's not a big deal for me.

[TDRB]
Members
4,257 posts
12,274 battles

Thanks, the set up worked great for operations but I did not play many randoms. I though some other opinions would help. Again thanks

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
21 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

I would use Priority Target as T1 skill, but Expert Loader works too. your preference

I would use Adrenaline Rush for T2 skill, as T8 Cleveland has turret rotation buffed to 18s, so Expert Marksman isn't really necessary

BFT is very viable at T3, though I opted for Superintendent for more consumables as you do have a lot. Again, your choice.

Concealment is good at T4.

Your next pick should definitely be IFHE at 14 points. After that, you should also think about AFT at 18 pts, then you have 1 more for whatever. (Priority like I mentioned, or Preventive Maintenance)

Alternatively, you can skip AFT and get Demo Expert at T3 + plus jack of all trades for consumable cooldown at T2. Depends on how much you value your AA

Now that it gets that 5th Upgrade slot is Concealment Expert at tier 4 really as necessary?  Before IFHE?

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,994 battles
1 minute ago, galspanic said:

Now that it gets that 5th Upgrade slot is Concealment Expert at tier 4 really as necessary?  Before IFHE?

CE and the Concealment upgrade get you down to 9.1km detection. Your RADAR is 9km, so when that DD spots you, you can light him up.

I just used the bonus Elite Cpt XP to upgrade from 12+ to 14 points. Here is what I have.

PT, EM*, BFT, AFT, CE

I plan on putting MFCAA and EL* next as this is the special John Doe captain.

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
379 posts
11,616 battles
Just now, galspanic said:

Full concealment build Cleveland has 9.1 km surface detect while its radar is 9.0 km. Meaning as soon as you get spotted, you can basically counter radar and spot the DD right away. It's not possible without the captain skill. Also, for squishy ship like Cleveland, better concealment is always better, as it gives you better chance to disengage if things go bad.

Ultimately, it's a trade off between better offense or defense. If you think you can get back without the extra concealment, you can certainly take IFHE first. You just have to adjust your playstyle accordingly. 

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,547 posts
33,575 battles

Cleveland is still a CL (Light Cruiser) at the new tier of course so the skillset needed is still very much the same I would definitely use CE and I prefer PT for cruisers. You need to know how many are targeting you when you are in a squishy cruiser.

[WOLF5]
Members
848 posts
31,308 battles

Since there are currently no T-8 ops, you may want to revisit your build.

Since they buffed the turret traverse on the T-8 cleveland I don't know that EM is necessary - I'd go AR or maybe JoAT since the new line is very consumable heavy. Also since BFT only affects reload times for 139mm and below, it really doesn't do anything for the 152mm on the US CL line. Now if you're just trying to buff the AA, then it might be viable, but remember you're at T-8 now so the planes are much better so buffing the AA 20% without increasing the range may not be worth the points. Think of her as a slightly worse NO-8 in terms of AA and decide if it's worth building as an AA platform 

Remember if you're going IFHE, then you're likely going to want DE and likely SI as well (since the Cleveland-8 has Radar, DFAA and Hydro), so you're going to need to decide if you want an AA spec build (which on NA is questionable since we don't see CV's in every match) or an increased damage build. Also if you plan on moving the commander up, then you absolutely want SI because at T-9 you get access to the heal consumable. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,994 battles
2 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

Since they buffed the turret traverse on the T-8 cleveland I don't know that EM is necessary - I'd go AR or maybe JoAT since the new line is very consumable heavy. Also since BFT only affects reload times for 139mm and below, it really doesn't do anything for the 152mm on the US CL line. Now if you're just trying to buff the AA, then it might be viable, but remember you're at T-8 now so the planes are much better so buffing the AA 20% without increasing the range may not be worth the points. Think of her as a slightly worse NO-8 in terms of AA and decide if it's worth building as an AA platform 

Remember if you're going IFHE, then you're likely going to want DE and likely SI as well (since the Cleveland-8 has Radar, DFAA and Hydro), so you're going to need to decide if you want an AA spec build (which on NA is questionable since we don't see CV's in every match) or an increased damage build. Also if you plan on moving the commander up, then you absolutely want SI because at T-9 you get access to the heal consumable. 

Cleveland turret 180 degrees 18 sec

Cleveland turret 180 degrees with normal EM 16.8 sec

Cleveland turret 180 degrees with John Doe EM 16.4 sec

I'm going to move John Doe up the line, so I will see what the Seattle and Worcester turret 180 degrees are like before I respec him as I had EM at T6.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,791 posts
41,051 battles
33 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

I believe the next op to be released is open to tier 8 Allied cruisers.

[WOLF5]
Members
848 posts
31,308 battles
20 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Cleveland turret 180 degrees 18 sec

Cleveland turret 180 degrees with normal EM 16.8 sec

Cleveland turret 180 degrees with John Doe EM 16.4 sec

I'm going to move John Doe up the line, so I will see what the Seattle and Worcester turret 180 degrees are like before I respec him as I had EM at T6.

You can't out turn the turret traverse on the T-8 Cleveland, so unless you're constantly switching sides to shoot, I think EM is unnecessary. Remember on the t-6 Cleveland, the traverse was 33ish seconds so you're now about half of that.  assuming the wiki is current and the stats don't change on the CL line Seattle is 22.5s but the Worcester is 7.2s so you'd only really keep EM for the Seattle and then have to respec out of it for the Worcester

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,994 battles
Just now, h9k_a said:

You can't out turn the turret traverse on the T-8 Cleveland, so unless you're constantly switching sides to shoot, I think EM is unnecessary. Remember on the t-6 Cleveland, the traverse was 33ish seconds so you're now about half of that.  assuming the wiki is current and the stats don't change on the CL line Seattle is 22.5s but the Worcester is 7.2s so you'd only really keep EM for the Seattle and then have to respec out of it for the Worcester

Well I had EM at T6, just so I would not out turn my turrets. Now I don't need it. If Seattle stays at 22.5s turret 180, I may not use it there either, which means I need to move my John Doe captain somewhere else. I could put John Doe on Iowa when I eventually get to it.

[WOLF5]
Members
848 posts
31,308 battles
16 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

I believe the next op to be released is open to tier 8 Allied cruisers.

Yep, Cherry Blossom is still in testing and isn't projected to be released until 0.7.6 so likely early July at best. But since it's the only t-8 op, I don't know that it's worth specing the Cleveland-8 for something that only comes around once every 7 weeks (unless you can get a division of 7 friends to play with you). I'd much rather spec the ship for something more generic that I can use in PvP or PvE to grind up the line. Remember a T-9 cruiser's usually around 165K XP plus you've still got to unlock the Cleveland B hull for 28k and likely the range mod for 15k. 200K+ is alot to grind in a single week scenario that only comes around every other month. 

[PVE]
Members
19,797 posts
11,994 battles
11 minutes ago, h9k_a said:

Yep, Cherry Blossom is still in testing and isn't projected to be released until 0.7.6 so likely early July at best. But since it's the only t-8 op, I don't know that it's worth specing the Cleveland-8 for something that only comes around once every 7 weeks (unless you can get a division of 7 friends to play with you). I'd much rather spec the ship for something more generic that I can use in PvP or PvE to grind up the line. Remember a T-9 cruiser's usually around 165K XP plus you've still got to unlock the Cleveland B hull for 28k and likely the range mod for 15k. 200K+ is alot to grind in a single week scenario that only comes around every other month. 

WG has went to a 4 week development cycle. Four weeks from today, is Jun 27th. That would mean the patch being released the weekend before the Fourth as the Fourth is on a Wednesday.

[WOLF5]
Members
848 posts
31,308 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

WG has went to a 4 week development cycle. Four weeks from today, is Jun 27th. That would mean the patch being released the weekend before the Fourth as the Fourth is on a Wednesday.

Yep, but remember scenarios usually changes on Wednesday, but Asia and EU get their patches on Thursday. I think the last time WG introduced a new one, they wanted it released for play on all servers at the same time. That would mean the earliest Wed where all regions had 0.7.6 would be July 4th. 

Regardless, going back to the OP's question. I don't know if specing the Cleveland-8 for scenarios makes sense since with 7 or maybe 8 (if Narai makes it back into the rotation after they adjust it) operations in play, that spec would only be used once every two months or so unless you can get a group of 7 players in a division together to play it when you wanted. 

At Tier 8 the Cleveland's AA is not as overpowered as it was when it was facing Tier 6 matchmaking. It may be sufficient for self protection when it's facing Tier 8-10 carriers with DFAA, but it's not going to be able to deny an area like it did when it was facing tiers 5 and 6, especially if DFAA is on cooldown. With that in mind, I don't feel it's a good investment of 7 captain's points to get AFT and BFT when it's only going to bump the AA range and DPM 20% but not affect main battery.

Since CL's at T-8 play more conservatively than at T-6, a CV's probably going to drop on ships ahead of you unless your playstyle is to be way far forward in which case AA's not really going to make a difference to your survival anyway.  Combine that with how often you're going to be attacked by a CV in either PvP or PvE games, I don't know that an AA build high tier CL is the most efficient use of points.