Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

An inauspicious start... T9 Buffalo...

15 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
13,266 posts
23,177 battles

Searching through the changes...

WHAT?!? I DON'T WANT TO GO INTO BATTLE!!! (I guess I was trying to go back to the port screen from the tech tree, and clicked too high in the UI?)

Got dragged in instantly, with no chance to 'leave queue...' I guess the CV had been waiting for a while...

No desire to actually be there, no camo, no signals, no modules, no assigned skills... (the transferee from Baltimore was a spare, no  assigned skills, 10 point captain I'd stuck in a repurchased Baltimore last night, the captain from when it had been sold being long gone...)

Spoiler

8HVRiO.jpg
mvuV6q.jpg
aDuCoT.jpg
VmH5fx.jpg

Yeah, it was Co-op, but things could have been so much worse....

Buffalo definitely made a better first impression than the original Baltimore did; otherwise I wouldn't have sold it after just 10 games, (5PvP, % PvE.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
12,123 posts
33,626 battles

Here's the deal: I really want to like this ship. 12 barrels of American Piercing. Slender and sexy... but... 

15.6 range? 13 sec base reload, so you have to choose between longer range or shorter reload? Everything outranges her with that base range. 

Didn't we see this on the original T9 Baltimore, and they had to buff her reload to make her playable for most players? So why are we going through this again?

I feel sad because I have a sneaking fondness for this bote but in its current configuration I could take Molotov into a T9 match, flip up the spotter, and have greater range and faster reload. 

So let this be the first NEEDSABUFFALO post. She needs her reload reduced to a flat 10s. Her base range needs to be 17-18 kms at least. And her detect needs lowered. At present Buffalo is basically a Zao without conceal, torps, or troll armor. Without torps, she should get something in return (HINT RELOAD). 

Keeping, but just to mess around in Coop. I can't see the point of taking this gimped cruiser, which should be OP as heck, into Randoms (compare Hindy's reload time and range with Buffalo's. Both have 12 guns of identical size, but Hindy is soooo much better).

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,474 posts
13,826 battles

Shrugs discontentedly in Des Moines...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Personally, I would like to have seen an Oregon City (Baltimore sub class) instead of this thing. Granted, I’m a history buff and the idea of the Buffalo having a slower reload than the Baltimore kind of dumb, even though I know it was done for “balance” purposes.

[RNJR]
Members
282 posts
4,881 battles
20 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Here's the deal: I really want to like this ship. 12 barrels of American Piercing. Slender and sexy... but... 

15.6 range? 13 sec base reload, so you have to choose between longer range or shorter reload? Everything outranges her with that base range. 

Didn't we see this on the original T9 Baltimore, and they had to buff her reload to make her playable for most players? So why are we going through this again?

I feel sad because I have a sneaking fondness for this bote but in its current configuration I could take Molotov into a T9 match, flip up the spotter, and have greater range and faster reload. 

So let this be the first NEEDSABUFFALO post. She needs her reload reduced to a flat 10s. Her base range needs to be 17-18 kms at least. And her detect needs lowered. At present Buffalo is basically a Zao without conceal, torps, or troll armor. Without torps, she should get something in return (HINT RELOAD). 

Keeping, but just to mess around in Coop. I can't see the point of taking this gimped cruiser, which should be OP as heck, into Randoms (compare Hindy's reload time and range with Buffalo's. Both have 12 guns of identical size, but Hindy is soooo much better).

At range 17km a BB of average skill might not be able to citadel you easily so a max range of say 15km but honestly more likely 10km due to slow shell speed should br a fair fight to those BBs you are burning to deatg.

If your reload was at 10 seconds youd put 12 heavy Ap shells as fast as an IJN DD can fire its pea-shooter guns (Aka Badguns)  

On the flipside you REKT DDs with Radar and Hydro and twelve amazing HESlinging shots over islands.  Just camp behind islands, light them visible with Radar through mountains just like in Real Life and listen for people quitting the game in the first minutes.  People will love you for that.

• Funny 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,861 posts
9,356 battles
42 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Personally, I would like to have seen an Oregon City (Baltimore sub class) instead of this thing. Granted, I’m a history buff and the idea of the Buffalo having a slower reload than the Baltimore kind of dumb, even though I know it was done for “balance” purposes.

The problem is game-wise Oregon City is basically the same as Baltimore. It has some small improvements over the original Baltimore design with a redesigned superstructure. The change mainly was to improve AA. If Baltimore was having problems at T9, Oregon City would be in the same boat. Pun intended. :)  They needed something markedly better than Baltimore but not as good as Des Moines and the Buffalo design fit the bill. 

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

The problem is game-wise Oregon City is basically the same as Baltimore. It has some small improvements over the original Baltimore design with a redesigned superstructure. The change mainly was to improve AA. If Baltimore was having problems at T9, Oregon City would be in the same boat. Pun intended. :)  They needed something markedly better than Baltimore but not as good as Des Moines and the Buffalo design fit the bill. 

I know, but wargaming has shown they have no problems ridiculously buffing ships beyond anything they would be capible of in real life. Just look at any of the high tier Russian ships. Buffing a proposed Oregon City’s range and shell drag in addition to the T9 benefits of repair and slot 6 upgrades would work.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts

buffalo at least has the upgrade to extend range, while cleveland doesn't, which is a bigger pain

[RLGN]
Members
13,266 posts
23,177 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Goeben said:

But... it's co-op.

It’s taking a ship out so cold turkey it’s practically frozen, and not having the game, (in whatever mode,) not turn into a complete disaster.

High Tier bots are not your Hermilin’s bots...

[NUWES]
Members
2,861 posts
9,356 battles
2 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

I know, but wargaming has shown they have no problems ridiculously buffing ships beyond anything they would be capible of in real life. Just look at any of the high tier Russian ships. Buffing a proposed Oregon City’s range and shell drag in addition to the T9 benefits of repair and slot 6 upgrades would work.

I don't think that would work for the players. You have Baltimore on T8, then Baltimore again on T9 only with a heal and improved shell characteristics? Very few people will be interested in playing the same ship again with slight improvements. Buffalo, while just a paper design, makes more sense and offers a difference in playstyle while still being very American CA-ish. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Not surprised that the OP expresses a like for the ship and one of the first responses is "It's trash because it's not the best at everything".

Stay classy.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,718 posts
22,071 battles

First sailing of the new Cleveland was worse. Simple co-op game, following the destroyers in to support them. Airplanes coming at them so sped up a bit to get under them and planned on activating my defensive AA to keep them safe. Course was spotted by the planes, shot one down then noticed I had two ships targeting me, just as I was going for my def AA, first salvo came in and detonated me. Really glad I transitioned from a wallet warrior to a a welfare warrior otherwise I would have been upset. Never even got to fire my guns. Needless to say probably will go back to playing everything else. Haven't played the USN cruiser line since I fully upgraded the New Orleans a while back. They just are not interesting and only work well in PvP where you can hide behind rocks. In co-op you don't have the luxury of hiding and shooting from cover. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[INTEL]
Members
12,123 posts
33,626 battles
12 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Not surprised that the OP expresses a like for the ship and one of the first responses is "It's trash because it's not the best at everything".

Stay classy.

Shame about that inability to read.

Sign in to follow this