Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

How to DD like a pro multiple replays inside

29 comments in this topic

WoWS Community Contributors
3,326 posts
13,099 battles

This thread will consist of replays I believe showcase a DD doing their job.  Hopefully this teaches some of the DD players I see doing questionable things, but also lets non DDs know why your DD might not be doing something specific.

First things first, damage isnt every thing.  A DDs job is to win cap control, and control vision for his team.  A DD played well should have little damage to pick up.  Almost all of my crazy damage games are the result of a team failing.  Usually resulting in a loss unless I can solo carry it over the line through sheer awesomeness.

Game 1:  Z-39 Dueling a Lo Yang, Akatsuki and Gaede for cap.  I end up chunking the Lo Yang, and then ducking their New Orleans hydro push him allow us to finish him.  After their main lynch pin holding us back died (the Lo Yang) things start to open up.  The Akatsuki reverse into the cap to block my efforts to cap, but gets out spotted by me and killed by my team before he could evade.  The Gaede is just a potato.  I hydro push him letting my team chunk him, and then yolo torp him as the game is coming to a close.  I didnt want to shoot and be detected for 20 seconds.  This game shows a lot of contesting cap, avoiding radar and hydro.  I did squat for damage, but my actions won us the cap and the flank.

Z-39 taking the cap

shot-18_05.30_01_33.46-0371.thumb.jpg.bc9fd23da1a51660c86c55ab65fadcf3.jpgshot-18_05.30_01_33.40-0379.thumb.jpg.ffb03a2a77a6f0994011173dcf15ff22.jpg

Game 2:  Z-52 delaying the enemy.  This game has some technical  hydro spotting that is just filthy.  In the mid to late game I get rushed by a Mino as I'm trying to back cap the enemy.  He pops out at 6km from me, I quickly angle so he cant do significant damage then pop smoke and hydro.  I keep the Mino between me and my smokescreen, while keeping him detected for my team with hydro while outside his hydro range.  The game also shows how to position yourself correctly to provide your team with a crossfire with your torps.  I end up doing like 128k damage, and 125k spotting damage while delaying 6-7 enemy ships.  I include this replay as an example that sometimes you can position yourself so you can do damage and spot for your team as well.

Z-52 hunter killer

shot-18_05.30_00_15.25-0449.thumb.jpg.223dc7bf9c3b9c6fc97bfab1d5715a75.jpgshot-18_05.30_00_15.29-0799.thumb.jpg.c746e2996679c0a7a5f13d7c8eef5bcd.jpgshot-18_05.30_00_15.34-0299.thumb.jpg.434620f47398d91887e1b58b06dd1ed6.jpg

Game 3:  Last game of the night I'll upload.  This game is in my Shimakaze on Shatter against a bunch of gunboat DDs and hydro BBs.  My Fletcher buddy gets irritated at me and our harekaze because we are noit going to make a play for B cap right away.  So he goes to do it himself.  He ends up dead shortly after capping B.  My patience is rewarded as I get a good torp launch into A cap killing one of the Akizukis, then turn my focus on B cap to try to keep it from flipping when it is being rushed by two GKs and a Bismarck.  I end up yoloing one of the GKs to keep him from coming back into the cap.  I intended to reverse into the island to proxy spot this GK so I could get an idea when he was pushing.  An ally spots him just before I make it into proxy.  The GK has hydro up and can see me the whole time.  I drop one to make the GK turn hard into them, them go wide around and slam a second volley right into his side for the kill.  I held back the third launcher.  The game ends with me on low HP delaying the last Akizuki trying to rush B cap and making my getaway so we win on points.  I didnt upload screenshots at the time as the damage was unremarkable, but the game is pretty interesting. 

Shimakaze- Patience

Please ask questions, or if you are having difficulty with a particular boat I will try to get some replays up for you.

• Cool 2

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Well that's just a kick in the [edited].  I forgot their was a patch.  Good bye replays.  You know WG it is possible to have a replay system that actually works on old files.  This community has lost a wealth of amazing games due to this update insanity.

Sorry guys, I'll try to get some new stuff up today.

Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles

These work.  There are videos listed on them as well.  People can just watch the videos.  

I watched the Shimakaze vid.  Very well done!  Maybe I'll try IJN DDs again and play island torper like that.  Seemed quite effective.  

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Maybe I'm in luck.  They didnt work for me when I tried them prior to my post.

Any DD can island torp like that, learn how to predict targets movements and you really will see torp boats open up for you.

Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles

They work in the sense that there are videos.  The replays don't work in the new client.  Sorry I wasn't clear.  I'm getting to where I prefer to just watch videos if available rather than the replays themselves.  

Capture.JPG

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Spent yesterday installing and figuring out OBS, youtube etc.  The first video with the Hatsuharu is a little rough production wise, the newer videos should be better quality.  My screen caps are now at the ends of my games to reduce my post sizes.

Hatsuharu leading the way

This replay is one of those games where its hard to do damage.  The enemy runs most of the game from me, so I focus on spotting capping, and fighting DDs.  I make one error capping D, I should have used my smoke before the Pensacola cleared the island and hit me for half my HP.  I thought I would drop off in time, and didnt want to waste a smoke when there was nothing productive to do there since the enemy was fleeing.

My next game has some controversy to stir things up.  I go pink. 

pink pink I stink

I include this game for the content for DD players to learn from.  Right now the meta is very punishing to DDs with radar CA spam everywhere.  The game has some good approaches to dealing with radar.  One I have a friendly Fletcher drop smoke near an island for our CA to use.  This radar is also a bait for radar.  With radar around its often better to just keep moving using your smoke to act as a visual screen instead of hiding in it.  Other times in the game I will get radar detected, but no one appears to be able to fire at me.  In these instances you should open fire, you are already detected, might as well get some DPM out.  Care should be taken because shooting will reveal you for likely 20 seconds, just something to consider.

On to the controversy.  In the mid game an enemy Richelieu is parking on the East edge of B cap on Shatter attempting to flip it.  Much of the game we have a friendly Des Moines strong holding South of that position and hes putting in work.  He mostly single handedly kept B cap open.  I drop torps on this BB twice during the game.  The first time hes reversing out of the cap, and its a very safe torp shot.  The second it appeared to me the BB was considering yoloing into our Des Moines.  Watching the replay closely I see a lot of decisions getting made at he same time.  The Richelieu starts to push forward, and I drop my torps to try to prevent him from reaching our DM.  My torp angle is into the island intentionally since I didnt want to torp directly at my Des Moines.  My Fletcher dropped torps almost the same time as well from the channel to my North.  My Des Moines at roughly the same time I torp was moving forward slightly accelerates and turns into B cap.

To be fair to the DM he had pressure coming from behind him with a red DD spotted and a Cleveland threatening to push South through the narrow gap at C.  Its also fair to say these guys were spotted and not pushing the DM during the incident.  I am also convinced the DM was not trying to grief DD players by driving into our torps, it was quite a nasty cross torp that was laid by the Fletcher and myself.  He almost pulled off the dodge.  In my opinion it was risky pushing into a crossfire between the Richelieu, the Buffalo, and if he reversed the Cleveland, but maybe he felt it was his best option for survival?

So, we have four ships, each acting at nearly the same time that results in a friendly ship eating a torp.  It's one of the most dynamic TK incidents I have seen in my nearly 9,000 battles.  Who in your opinion is at fault?

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
4,714 posts
14,424 battles
10 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Who in your opinion is at fault?

Pretty much always the fault of the one who launched the torps. That said, sometimes you have to take a risk to win the game. I have fired at enemy ships with a friendly in the area with the assumption that he will be sunk anyway by the time my torps arrive. Other times with the assumption that he will move to disengage. I have been right and I have been wrong. I have also cursed as I withhold fire waiting for said friendly to clear the area or die so I can FINALLY take a shot while the enemy continues to hammer away.

Sometimes it is impossible to think a friendly is about to do something different or "stupid" (from your point of view).

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Z-52 on Atlantic, delaying a flank

This is a pretty solid game where I cannot hope to take my initial objective.  So I bug out to where I expect to see broadsides once they push out of A and I, start getting some torp DPM  going. 

The good thing with the direct recordings you guys can finially see the details of how I am torping.  The second drop on the FDG for example.  He does a classic slow down/stop to throw off any torps.  That tells me he likely does not have hydro active.  I wait to see confirmation of a hard acceleration and guess the lead needed to the best of my ability.  Ships can only move so far, so fast.  Understanding how to lead different ships quickly is the mark of a true torp god.

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Doing the best you can when the enemy team melts

We've all been there.  A win is a win, but it can still hurt your stats with a poor performance since the way stats are calculated are weighed more in favor of damage and kills than WR alone.  DDs until high tier mostly have short range torps and guns.  When the enemy is more interested in fleeing to the next map it can be hard getting in range to get damage in.  I should note you primary job is cap and vision control.  The earlier that you recognize that the game is won, the sooner you can start being greedy in non competitive modes.  In competitive modes like KOTS, CB, and ranked greed needs to be set to zero, you are playing completely for the win and all of your actions dictate that.  Other modes where you are grinding credits, XP, etc more damage obviously is going to help you achieve better returns as long as you are positive you can win.  You have to do a lot to equal the rewards you get by getting the win.

This game I start seeing the enemy massively out of position and smelling victory at 17:00.  By 16:00 I start playing for the bank having already secured a cap, and my team likely to secure the other cap.  Specifically I am grinding all kinds of XP on this boat with the 200% XP bonus you got with Z-39.  I can tell by the positioning and counting the ships to get a good estimate how the battle will turn.  The mini map SS at 16:09 tells me that we are likely to get C and that the enemy likely will bottle themselves up in the South West of the map.  The better you can read the mini map, the better you will be at positioning yourself at decisive moments in the battle regardless of the type of ship you are playing.

Untitled.png.e4e35aa2827619f4aad376617986e21c.png

Once I make the decision to farm I start to push very aggressive.  At this point my aggression is tied to my HP.  I dont want to die, unless I am getting a really good return for that.  I am using my HP pool to trade against.  I push up to a position where I can torp the enemies out West, and gun any CA trying to push into the cap.  Getting that close to the Cleveland was a risk, not so much from he Cleveland himself, but his radar.  I thought the NC was going to take a shot at me but I got undetected and smoked up before he could, and the Cleveland as expected got hammered by my support that was close at hand.

I get lucky with a Fuso coming around the island well into torp range.  The guy probably hasnt done much other than drive through spawn and seems more worried about shooting than protecting his boat, I mean I was just detected in a location under 7km from him not even a minute ago.  Regardless he eats some torps.  Initially I am using HE to get fire damage as he just used his DCP, but seeing how fast hes melting anyways I switch to AP to try to maximize my damage with each volley rather than hope to get a DOT. 

Later engaging the Nagato I am looking around to see what can shoot at me.  I have an NC behind me that has ignored me all game, and a Myoko with his guns facing the wrong way.  Both have plenty of problems in their face.  So I felt pretty comfortable this was going to be a 1v1.  I did have smoke if needed.  Basically I do my best to gun boat and evade damage while closing the range.  Once I get down to half HP I smoke up to make sure I live to see the end.

To sum it up, being aware of the tide of battle I turned what by all rights was going to be a very low or zero damage game into a 1 kill 69k damage game with some calculated risks and a little luck.  If that NC had hit me for half or more of my HP, I would have had to play much safer against the Nagato later on, and wouldnt have been able to get as much damage as I did on him.

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

A Tale of Two Gearings

This game highlights the difference in play styles from a DD that uses their smoke for themselves, and one that focuses smoking team mates, esp when they are in trouble.  It boiled down to my CA were punished less for pushing up and his died every time they left cover.

I start the game as usual.  I let the team know where I am going, and in this case try to prearrange a smokescreen.  Regarding the placement of my first smokescreen, it might appear I smoked to early, and its true most of my smoke is behind the island, but this smoke ensures that my radar CAs following me can push into position without getting spotted by some enemy yoloing or if they are not running a full concealment build.  This smoke is timed almost perfectly IMO for random players, leaving a small blob of smoke past the island for them to shoot from.  By not leaving a long line of smoke past the island I am not leaving the attraction of letting random CA players try to sneak into a cap that likely has a crossfire on it.  IME they tend to farm away them panic once the smoke runs out and dies shortly after.  Its better to kind of force them to play more conservatively at the start, because you want them around for the long haul.  The small puff beyond the island makes it really easy to just reverse a short distance back into cover.  One thing to point out is my path of travel after the smoke.  I am trying, and do succeed in spotting the enemy torps that were launched into my smoke.  Early warning for allies is critical to their well being.

I do counter one radar CA this game.  An enemy Cleveland attempted to rush the A cap to radar me.  Instead of rushing right into cap like most DDs do, with this many radars in game its best to play safe.  Spot a bit and put that smokescreen to use.  You can always flip it later easy once you force the radar back.  I spot him, and know hes in a pickle.  His best option is to detect me and drive me off with gun fire so he can go dark and turn around.  Instead I try to stay out of radar range, but inside his detection range forcing him to chase me danger close to my team.  My team does a pretty good job at punishing his efforts.

Once the cap is taken I notice one of our BBs is being focused fired for his aggressive position he took took to protect my capping attempt.  He is almost into a Kutuzovs smoke, but I dont think thats going to last long, so I refresh the smoke screen.

My third smokescreen is for an allied Cleveland that pushed up.  He's in the open vs a Des Moines, and has a few BBs that can shoot him.  He puts that smoke to work hammering the Des Moines and the enemy Yamato that tries to push A.

My fourth and final smoke was intended for for the Cleveland in the open vs the enemy Montana.  Just as I turn to lay it however the enemy Gearing detects me and I him.  Fortunately the Cleveland radars him and everyone opens up on him.  This final smoke is the only one I use to farm damage.  With the enemy Gearing dead, a Minotaur on B and C long secured the game is ours.  Time to farm.  Since my torps were thwarted much of the game by bad angles, WASD, team mates in the way, etc there was not a lot of torp damage.  Despite this I consider this a good DD game as my support of my team at A allowed us to take the cap, keep guys alive longer than the enemy could.

Also hats off to that Minotaur and Khaba on the East side.  Fantastic job securing the East.

• Cool 1

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles

Could you do one of these with the title...

"How to DD like a pro with eight radar cruisers and a carrier in the same game"

That would be mighty helpful about now.

Bonus points if you can do it in a Hatsuharu in a T8 game.

:cap_haloween:

3,326 posts
13,099 battles
5 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Could you do one of these with the title...

"How to DD like a pro with eight radar cruisers and a carrier in the same game"

That would be mighty helpful about now.

Bonus points if you can do it in a Hatsuharu in a T8 game.

:cap_haloween:

You just need to slow down and play more cautiously.  You are playing against the meta right now if you are playing a DD.  Instead of getting frustrated by it, understand that fact and figure out a way to adapt.  By adapting you will become a better DD. 

For example instead of going straight to a cap, make a scouting run near the cap aimed at spotting things hiding behind islands.  Pro tip, turn on your max gun and torp ranges on your mini map.  You can use these to at as a scale allowing very accurate scouting keeping you out of danger as you pie the corners behind the enemy islands around cap.  Then you just keep them spotted until your team can farm them or they run away.  Create a window where you can cap safely.

It wont be like this forever, the meta will shift again when the next major line comes out.

@Grflrgl  Am uploading a Shima game on Sleeping Giant vs 5 radar CA for you right now.  It will be up as soon as my potato internet finishes the work.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Shimakaze vs 5 Radar CA MMing

This replay is the first with voice commentary.  My apologies the in game volume is a little loud at times.  I have already adjusted the settings for future videos.

Let me know what you think.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,144 posts
9,633 battles
On 6/2/2018 at 7:11 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

This replay is the first with voice commentary.  My apologies the in game volume is a little loud at times.  I have already adjusted the settings for future videos.

That was really good. Sound and gameplay. I always LOL when I get a torp into a target 2 or 3 Klicks behind the first one that I hit ala that Alabama, I think it was. 

I am glad to see a comment of, "That's how you deal with radar," rather than, "Radar is broken trash mechanic that will instadelete any DD. Now it's DD camping time."

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Last night I noticed a significant drop in he radar CA population.  Still these games show how to deal with them when they do pop up.

Z-39 wrecking a flank

Z-52 brawling for the cap

Let me know how the audio is for you guys, still tweaking it a bit.

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Kagero doing Kagero things on Atlantic

I discuss some options for TRB builds for IJN DDs to create some sneaky opportunities.  The game has a  double strike where I gun down an Akizuki and torp a KGV demonstrating how it can be done while remaining undetected.

• Cool 1

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles
On 6/2/2018 at 6:11 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Nice example. Thanks for posting it. I just subscribed too. Your channel is underappreciated. 

3,326 posts
13,099 battles
3 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Nice example. Thanks for posting it. I just subscribed too. Your channel is underappreciated. 

LOL thank you, but its not even a week old.  I'm just juggling it with raising my two Dinosaurs, and work full time.  Right now is easy, been off for almost two months recovering from surgery.  Still I get a lot of play time in, but some of the games I'm not sure I can use.  For example last night I had a Z-52 game that was really good, but I was on stand by to fill in for any of the 4 of our teams we had scrims going on for last night, so you have another games comms in the back ground.  Just the way it goes some times.

I dont see many youtube channels focused on skill building and how to.  Most are focused on look at my damage style games.  I hope to fill the void.  I am considering expanding into other ship types to, I have most CA and DDs in the game.  My biggest frustration in the game is people that dont have a clue what they are doing.  I might as well do something to try to fix that.

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Hot off the upload: 

Radar Yue Yang and how radar DDs work

My team is one heavy sack of potatoes, but the game has two DD engagements highlighting the strength of radar armed DDs.  It's basic essence throws out the conventional meta of I must have a really good concealment in order to contest caps and fight other DDs, and replaces it with a contest of who has their I win consumables ready.

[SYN]
Members
1,144 posts
9,633 battles
7 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

biggest frustration in the game is people that dont have a clue what they are doing

That's me. I am not even sure why I do well in the ones where I do well. 

Maybe patience. I have that in spades.

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Today I decided on some Akizuki.  TBH I figured if I can make such a slow and easy to hit DD work that maybe some people would get a little confidence in boats that are much easier to play in this meta.

This game was just fun.  I start out by moving to ambush a DD that always seems to hide behind the island in B cap.  It was like kicking an ant hill over.  They were just all over.  I circle back into B to support a CL who is posted up behind the island.  From here its all fighting and scrapping from cover.  Not a large damage game since the game had a bunch of DDs and CAs, but it got crazy as the CAs and myself started rushing each other.  The brawl ended up under 3km from me.

Akizuki the bully

I have another game almost uploaded that is quite entertaining as well, showing just how nasty Akizuki AP DPM is where I melt a healthy BB under 6km. 

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

The aforementioned Akizuki replay

Radar just makes my AR hurt you more

Really shows off how nasty the AP DPM is when people sail broadside.  I did make one mistake, smoking to farm the GK was a waste of smoke in hindsight.  I thought he might get a heal off and that would save him.  Really looking forward to Kitakaze and Harugumo.

3,326 posts
13,099 battles

Today's lesson is about damage mitigation in IJN DDs, though this discussion effects DDs of all Nations as well.  I just feel the IJN DDs benefit the most from it.

IJN DD Module Discussion

The video goes in depth into how modules can absorb incoming shells when they hit things like your turrets, torpedo tubes and most beneficial to DDs  their small caliber AA guns.  The video gets into the concept of understanding which angles DDs are safest to minimize the damage they receive by looking at the surface of the ship that is subject to damage.  Below are screenshots taken of the fight showing the modules saving my ship:

shot-18_04.23_18_57.03-0198.thumb.jpg.05437e548996b5e7e4ef916beaa95277.jpg

shot-18_04.23_18_57.25-0124.thumb.jpg.ae4bc634f9b5693e88895caf9528963c.jpg

shot-18_04.23_18_57.52-0154.thumb.jpg.c8c27bd7fe06f2a31788eb5e30b39bc9.jpg

Further when we angle our ship the vast majority of the damage received will be on the end of the ship closest to the enemy.  This enables us to take advantage of a game mechanic called saturation.  Basically each section of the ship holds some of the ships total HP.  Once you cross certain thresholds damage inflicted repeatedly to the same area begins to take reduced damage.  You can tell a section of the ship is saturated when it starts to turn a black color.  Like below, the screen shot after the engagement with the Gearing.

shot-18_04.23_19_00.03-0330.thumb.jpg.5d24de33f5643a12b22cd7eb9a4a8e7b.jpg

Warships Wiki Damage Saturation

The end caps tell the tale.  My dodging did throw off a lot of his shots.  He landed 15 shells for only 4475 or 299 HP on average per hit instead of the potential 594 HP that the guns were capable of inflicting.  To sum the engagement up by angling to reduce the area the Gearing was able to damage, and by allowing my stern to take the brunt of the damage so it would saturate I reduced the damage I received by roughly 50%.

This reduction of damage, combined with my own aim allowed me to inflict roughly 185% of the damage I received in a Shimakaze under 5km from a Gearing.

shot-18.04.23_18.44.25-0224.jpg

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Sign in to follow this