You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Leviathan_808

Atlanta

43 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
5,143 battles

Would some please explain to me how the Atlanta can land 111 broadside AP shells at 4 km against the North Carolina and only do 2700 damage.

I am baffled.

• Funny 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
3 minutes ago, Feckin_Eejit said:

Would some please explain to me how the Atlanta can land 111 broadside AP shells at 4 km against the North Carolina and only do 2700 damage.

I am baffled.

The +T8 RN cruisers are even worse.  

:Smile_child:

• Funny 1

Members
810 posts
2,554 battles

You were more than likely hitting the broadside of the North Carolina; being armed with just 127mm, Atlanta doesn't have the caliber or penetration to reliably get penetrations on the belt armor.

Members
1,684 posts
8,055 battles

Against a NC (or any BB, really) you shouldn’t be firing that much AP from an Atlanta. It’s good to switch to situationally when the target is close, (like, "torpedo range" close) and you can hit the upper belt or superstructure, but the guns in this game are balanced so that smaller guns do almost as much damage with HE as with AP. Generally, the Atlanta's 5”/38 guns will do more reliable damage with HE, especially if you have he IFHE skill. Against a B.B., AP is something you should use for 1 or 2 volleys at most. 

Members
5 posts
5,143 battles
Just now, inktomi19d said:

Against a NC (or any BB, really) you shouldn’t be firing that much AP from an Atlanta. It’s good to switch to situationally when the target is close, (like, "torpedo range" close) and you can hit the upper belt or superstructure, but the guns in this game are balanced so that smaller guns do almost as much damage with HE as with AP. Generally, the Atlanta's 5”/38 guns will do more reliable damage with HE, especially if you have he IFHE skill. Against a B.B., AP is something you should use for 1 or 2 volleys at most. 

I usually use HE but wasn't getting much better results, so thought I would switch to AP to see if there was any difference.  Was unpleasantly surprised.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,590 posts
13,136 battles
19 minutes ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

You were probably hitting the belt armor. Aim a little higher

I also think you are probably hitting too much belt. Do you have a replay?

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles

He was probably saturated? I just did a test in training room, 5-6K volleys broadside at 4km against the side of his hull. Was considerably less in the superstructure. I had that happen to me in Benson against a Gearing once. I hit the guy over 60 times, destroying all his guns and torp tubes, but he simply would not sink. His BB buddy got me and he went on to cap out and win the battle. Are you positive that you were firing AP?

Edited by Wyngs_2015

[WOLF3]
Members
2,135 posts
4,427 battles

That feeling in your Fiji when you have no small targets left, something like a Rich or Bis left and you have 250 ribbons for hits and so small damage and no HE.

8d29902f630f41ad8a7c2a3a912aacaa.jpg

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,025 posts
7,903 battles
26 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Use IFHE against the superstructure to  burn her down. 

While I agree that IFHE is a good skill for Atlanta, the benefit it gives you against a NC‘s superstructure is zero. 

NC superstructure is 19mm

127mm stock HE pen is 20mm or thinner

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
Just now, SireneRacker said:

While I agree that IFHE is a good skill for Atlanta, the benefit it gives you against a NC‘s superstructure is zero. 

I only have IFHE on my Atlanta. 

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,025 posts
7,903 battles
32 minutes ago, Feckin_Eejit said:

I am baffled.

You can switch on detailed ribbons in the settings. Then while firing you can observe what kind of effect your shells have. Either it‘s a normal penetration (1/3 of the shell‘s listed max damage, note that this damage can also go against modules), an overpenetration (1/10 of the shell‘s listed damage), a shatter (no damage) or a ricochet (no damage).

If you notice a high amount of shatters or ricochets, it is advised to either adjust your aim or switch ammo types.

Members
107 posts
5,585 battles

All t8 BBs and up have 32mm hull plating which the Atlanta can't penetrate with IFHE, but in exchange it would be a great improvement to fight t7 BBs and below since they only have 25mm plating.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,025 posts
7,903 battles
3 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I only have IFHE on my Atlanta. 

But you recommended IFHE for the OP.

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles
6 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

1 minute ago, Ganbaruzoi_ said:

All t8 BBs and up have 32mm hull plating which the Atlanta can't penetrate with IFHE, but in exchange it would be a great improvement to fight t7 BBs and below since they only have 25mm plating.

This^^^ 127 HE with shatter on high tier BB's a LOT, IFHE or not. But its awesome for shedding lower ones

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,664 posts
15,988 battles

If HE stops doing large chunks of damage to the superstructure of a BB, you have to switch to AP and try and hit the top or upper belt armor if it is flat to you.  If the BB is bow on or heavily angled and HE stops working, then you need to use AP to the superstructure - though at this point you will probably be dead in short order anyway.  Try to avoid those 4-5 km engagements with BB's and really even with cruisers unless you catch them flat footed and aiming elsewhere.  Atlanta is great at killing DD's and finishing low health ships - but not so great at 1 v 1 standard engagements.

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles
4 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

If HE stops doing large chunks of damage to the superstructure of a BB, you have to switch to AP and try and hit the top or upper belt armor if it is flat to you.  If the BB is bow on or heavily angled and HE stops working, then you need to use AP to the superstructure - though at this point you will probably be dead in short order anyway.  Try to avoid those 4-5 km engagements with BB's and really even with cruisers unless you catch them flat footed and aiming elsewhere.  Atlanta is great at killing DD's and finishing low health ships - but not so great at 1 v 1 standard engagements.

That kind of falls under "If you find yourself in a fair fight....you messed up" lol.  Actually, Ive always found that 4-5km is where Atl is the most lethal.....in the right circumstances

[FML]
Members
3,612 posts
14,514 battles
3 minutes ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

In English, plz?

Sorry, didn’t realise this wasn’t commonly known. 

QFT = quoted for truth. Ie, fully agree with you. 

/thread = end of thread. Ie, you’ve fully answered/addressed the OP’s question/issue, no more posts necessary. 

Combined: your response nailed it. As I’ve run out of pos rep for the day, I made the post instead. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

Members
1,082 posts
3,573 battles
Just now, UltimateNewbie said:

Sorry, didn’t realise this wasn’t commonly known. 

QFT = quoted for truth. Ie, fully agree with you. 

/thread = you’ve fully answered/addresses the OP’s question/issue, no more posts necessary. 

Combined: your response nailed it. As I’ve run out of pos rep for the day, I made the post instead. 

Ah, okay. Apologies, Im an old poot that still has trouble using a smart phone :Smile_hiding: