Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Will Helena be one of the better performing Tier 7 cruisers? NO?

26 comments in this topic

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

Tier 7 is my main tier, and with the USN cruiser split, I am curious as to whether NO at this tier and the Helena on the CL line will remedy the USN cruiser stats that have traditionally been significantly below that of other nations. Do you guys think NO at Tier 7, and the new Helena, will statistically be some of the stronger performers for Tier 7 cruisers compared to the others? (Yorck, Myoko, Algeria, Belfast, Fiji, Shchors)

[WOLF7]
Members
12,402 posts
5 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Tier 7 is my main tier, and with the USN cruiser split, I am curious as to whether NO at this tier and the Helena on the CL line will remedy the USN cruiser stats that have traditionally been significantly below that of other nations. Do you guys think NO at Tier 7, and the new Helena, will statistically be some of the stronger performers for Tier 7 cruisers compared to the others? (Yorck, Myoko, Algeria, Belfast, Fiji, Shchors)

It's a US ship so....Nyet....:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,914 posts
5,814 battles
8 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I don't think so. From what CCs have said about them, it looks like it's going to be harder for the average scrub to do well with them and their island hugging, super squishy playstyle.

And since this is the NA server, the USN are always going to have new players going up the American tree first and trashing the USN ships' server stats.

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

Yeah so looks like USN will remain ships for stat padding, not sure if that is good or not. I actually perform well in ships traditionally considered trashy like Pensacola, Furutaka, and Colorado, but it's not because I want to intentionally stat pad. It's because they have clicked with me.

As for the Helena, it's good that I've gotten some last minute practice with the Cleveland's guns and playstyle. I do feel the CLs are more situational than CAs though, a fact CCs such as iChase have pointed out. CAs have the advantage in alpha damage and can fight better for extended periods in open water.

Light cruisers can be a bit feast or famine. Certainly not to the degree of IJN destroyers, but when the enemy's playing chicken or when your team's not giving the enemy enough distraction for you to dance around, or park behind an island, your uselfuness will greatly diminish. Light cruisers are ships where the longer the match progresses, the more damage you do. Heavy cruisers are much better at unleashing alpha strikes to decapitate enemies.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[CNM88]
Members
548 posts
2,713 battles

I think up to T8 (Cleveland) the USN light cruisers will do fine but then it will shift to the heavy cruisers because of not only does everything hit like a truck at T8 and above but those guns are pretty accurate. The way I'm seeing the light cruiser play style is just like an Atlanta just without the torps. 

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

No US cruiser below Tier 9, light or heavy, has been able to break 30-31,000 average damage. Will ships like Helena and the CAs at their new tiers be able to possibly achieve 31k+ in average damage? What about new ships like Buffalo, Seattle, Worcester and Cleveland at Tier 8?

Correction: I just checked, Marblehead and Murmansk average higher damage than 30-31k at Tier 5, but they're the exception.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Members
1,187 posts
6,082 battles
9 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

No US cruiser below Tier 9, light or heavy, has been able to break 30-31,000 average damage. Will ships like Helena and the CAs at their new tiers be able to possibly achieve 31k+ in average damage? What about new ships like Buffalo, Seattle, Worcester and Cleveland at Tier 8?

Correction: I just checked, Marblehead and Murmansk average higher damage than 30-31k at Tier 5, but they're the exception.

In regards to tier 5, there are only two cruisers that have at least 30K damage or more per https://na.wows-numbers.com/ships/ which is the Emile Bertin with 30,173 and the Murmansk with 31,733. 

Also, the tier 8 New Orleans averages 31,746 damage, but it is the lowest average damage of all tier 8 cruisers currently.

52 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

While I am looking forward to the new USN light cruisers in 0.7.6, I don't expect the tier 7 Helena to outperform the Fiji, Schors, or Algerie; nor, do I think the 0.7.5 tier 7 New Orleans will either. However, I could be wrong.

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

Do you think Helena will be equally powerful compared to Tier 6 Cleveland, more powerful, or less? What about New Orleans at Tier 7 compared to Pensacola, and Baltimore at Tier 8 compared to New Orleans etc?

Members
195 posts
4,695 battles

I don't know about Helena and Cleveland.. what I'm hoping for is that Helena will feel more "natural" at the tier, instead of feeling like a powerful ship that was heavily nerfed in order to fit into it's tier..  which is exactly what the ridiculous main battery velocity (creating the stupid arc) on the Cleveland feels like to me.. this, IMO, is why the Cleveland can be a really good ship for people who play her a lot and are used to the flaws, while being a tough ship for new and inexperienced cruiser captains.  I'm hoping the Helena will play more similalrly to previous U.S. Cruisers and will just feel like it fits at the tier better.

As for the Heavy Cruisers, I honestly don't think there will be much difference.  IMO, most of the playstyle and performance differences in the tier 7-9 ships right now are based heavily on the tier they're in.  Moving the ships without changing their tier based stats (such as health) would of course make those ships powerful, but it sounds like all the appropriate stats are getting nerfed along with the ships moving down tier, which means there really shouldn't be any change in their stats.

Edited by Gothik_Knight

Members
1,187 posts
6,082 battles
2 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Do you think Helena will be equally powerful compared to Tier 6 Cleveland, more powerful, or less? What about New Orleans at Tier 7 compared to Pensacola, and Baltimore at Tier 8 compared to New Orleans etc?

I would expect the tier 7 Helena to be at least as if not more powerful than the tier 6 Cleveland. Whether or not it works out that way, we will have to wait and see. I think I'm more curious as to how the tier 6 Dallas compares to the former tier 6 Cleveland.

On the test server, the Pensacola played well at tier 6, but her 203 mm guns behave differently than the Cleveland's 152 mm. I really wish WG had not nerfed her turret rotation speed even though she dropped down a tier. I thought the way the Pensacola was at tier 7 would have played fine and been balanced at tier 6. She doesn't have the DPM that the Cleveland did, but her alpha strike can be brutal.

I hadn't worked up past the Pensacola to the New Orleans on the live server, but I did play here in part 1 of the 0.7.5 test server at tier 8 and then in part 2 when she dropped to tier 7. I like her much better as a tier 7 ship than at tier 8. Curious to see how that translates on the live server.

I do think playing the ships in their respective branches as you go up from tier 6 to tier 7 and so on will make more sense now. It was odd to go from the  Cleveland to the Pensacola. Now, when a Player goes from the Pensacola to the New Orleans - Baltimore - Buffalo - Des Moines, it won't be as much of a "shock;" although going from the tier 5 Omaha to a Pensacola will take some getting used to for the new players. And likewise, going from the Dallas to the Helena to the Cleveland - Seattle - Worchester should make more sense.

[THREE]
Members
2,264 posts
12,154 battles

Hey

If the American heavy cruisers play anything like the Indianapolis, then I'm going to skip playing the line altogether.  No enjoyment whatsoever!

Pete

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

New Orleans has been an okay performer for me. She's not a bad ship, and I can feel that she's somewhat improved over the old Pensacola. I basically play them the same and get the same results.

As for Helena and the US light cruisers, yesterday I bought myself an Atlanta to practice handling smaller and lower caliber US guns, now that I can no longer play the Cleveland at Tier 6. I feel that these ships will depend a lot on the enemy pushing in and getting close, and your team not collapsing around you. The key is to fight at closer ranges, but still have enough cover, the balance of which can be tricky to find. I just treat the USN light cruisers as larger Atlantas with 152mm guns, each shell having high alpha, and a higher fire chance per shell but with slower reload.

Members
1,187 posts
6,082 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

If the American heavy cruisers play anything like the Indianapolis, then I'm going to skip playing the line altogether.  No enjoyment whatsoever!

Pete

The Indy is an American heavy cruiser, but the new cruisers coming in 0.7.6 are going to be the new US light cruisers - tier 6 Dallas, tier 7 Helena, tier 9 Seattle, and tier 10 Worcester - which will join the tier 8 Cleveland to complete that branch of the USN tech tree.

[THREE]
Members
2,264 posts
12,154 battles
7 hours ago, daVinci761st said:

The Indy is an American heavy cruiser, but the new cruisers coming in 0.7.6 are going to be the new US light cruisers - tier 6 Dallas, tier 7 Helena, tier 9 Seattle, and tier 10 Worcester - which will join the tier 8 Cleveland to complete that branch of the USN tech tree.

Hey

I believe that my comment said "If the American heavy cruisers play anything like the Indianapolis" that I would skip the line.  I said nothing about the US light cruisers.

Pete

• Cool 1

Members
1,187 posts
6,082 battles
8 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I believe that my comment said "If the American heavy cruisers play anything like the Indianapolis" that I would skip the line.  I said nothing about the US light cruisers.

Pete

LOL. Yeah. I made that reply to your first post when I was tired and looking back at it now, I feel a wee bit like a duntz and channeled by inner  captain obvious for doing so. :Smile_hiding:

Capt Obvious ah-ah, beard, agree.gif

[THREE]
Members
2,264 posts
12,154 battles
16 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

LOL. Yeah. I made that reply to your first post when I was tired and looking back at it now, I feel a wee bit like a duntz and channeled by inner  captain obvious for doing so. :Smile_hiding:

Capt Obvious ah-ah, beard, agree.gif

Hey

LOL; I get that way when I'm sleepy too.  HeHeHe!

Pete

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,531 posts
12,810 battles
On 5/30/2018 at 12:18 AM, Super_Dreadnought said:

And since this is the NA server, the USN are always going to have new players going up the American tree first and trashing the USN ships' server stats.

Their stats aren't markedly different on other servers either.

[70]
Members
1,211 posts
6,662 battles
On 5/30/2018 at 12:37 AM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Murmansk average higher damage than 30-31k at Tier 5, but they're the exception.

DA, COMRADE!

Russian-made game will always have American equipment be underwhelming. Vice versa also generally holds true.

[THREE]
Members
2,264 posts
12,154 battles

Hey

I sold the Indy today (for a 2nd Time).  Had enough of that under whelming piece of garbage.  Used the funds to get my Alsace.  It's more fun by far to play the Atlanta that the Indy.

Pete

• Cool 1

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

I bought the Atlanta last week and it's been an unexpected surprise in terms of how well it's performed for me. She's quite reliant on the team taking an active stance, but she's a cross between an underweight cruiser and a USN DD that I actually enjoy. This is coming from someone who has never really played destroyers, so I guess in a sense she's like a DD for those who don't want the full DD experience. Torpedoes are basically non-existent, so just rely on the guns.

[70]
Members
1,211 posts
6,662 battles
5 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I bought the Atlanta last week and it's been an unexpected surprise in terms of how well it's performed for me. She's quite reliant on the team taking an active stance, but she's a cross between an underweight cruiser and a USN DD that I actually enjoy. This is coming from someone who has never really played destroyers, so I guess in a sense she's like a DD for those who don't want the full DD experience. Torpedoes are basically non-existent, so just rely on the guns.

I disagree. I would say the DD experience comes with British cruisers. Smoke is pretty critical to the DD experience after all :D

• Cool 1

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

It's been half a year since I made this thread, and coming back to it, now I can say Helena's one of the better performing at her tier. Though she's not a Belfast or Fiji, damage wise she's near the top, average ship kills she also does relatively well, win rate's above average but again she's not quite a Belfast or Fiji. I believe Tier 7 and Tier 10 are the tiers where the USN light cruisers perform well statistically compared to other cruisers. She's my most played ship, but I still want to see a proper Brooklyn premium at Tier 7 or a Cleveland class at Tier 7 because IMO Cleveland's at best a Tier 7 cruiser.

Sign in to follow this