You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Is this Cleveland's Way of Saying Goodbye?

43 comments in this topic

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

Dear Cleveland, I have not given you the love you deserve because I was too busy courting the battleships and the heavies, even Pensacola got a lot more love from me. You frustrated me endlessly with your arcs and your taste for islands, and I never knew I would be in love with you after all. However, it has been too little and too late. You will soon be away from my arms, you will soon be in a dangerous new place where the big baddies of Tier 10 frequently stomp you. Please forgive me, because I know you have loved me even when I was neglecting you. I will forever remember the 4 kill 122k High Caliber, 4 kill 88k damage, and 103k damage parting gifts you gave me today. Perhaps we were meant to be a match after all, but farewell, you'll be sailing to a different world, and one where I will not be able to accompany you. If there is one last request I would like to make, I ask for your sister Helena to replace you, and I hope she is just as lovely as you are. Farewell, sweetheart, may we be reunited in another life.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[DUDES]
Members
2,926 posts
5,690 battles
30 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Dear Cleveland, I have not given you the love you deserve because I was too busy courting the battleships and the heavies, even Pensacola got a lot more love from me. You frustrated me endlessly with your arcs and your taste for islands, and I never knew I would be in love with you after all. However, it has been too little and too late. You will soon be away from my arms, you will soon be in a dangerous new place where the big baddies of Tier 10 frequently stomp you. Please forgive me, because I know you have loved me even when I was neglecting you. I will forever remember the 4 kill 122k High Caliber, 4 kill 88k damage, and 103k damage parting gifts you gave me today. Perhaps we were meant to be a match after all, but farewell, you'll be sailing to a different world, and one where I will not be able to accompany you. If there is one last request I would like to make, I ask for your sister Helena to replace you, and I hope she is just as lovely as you are. Farewell, sweetheart, may we be reunited in another life.

Cleve was my stalwart favorite when I first started playing the game.  Oh she was grand, and at that time, a feared ship on the seas.  While her AA has held up well over time and she can still play with all the new lines and ship intros....she is simply like a long lost young love...  That smile on my face that the current girl just doesn't understand.   Oh..  and wth is happening with Cleve?  I have been out of this awhile and waaay behind on patch update notes.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

The current girl has been "drugged" so heavily that she no longer resembles the darling she once was. This is not to say that she's become a bad girl, but she's definitely changed a lot, and not for the better. It's a pity I never got to play her back in CBT and OBT.

[RLGN]
Members
13,266 posts
23,177 battles

Had a last few good games (for me,) in Cleveland; raised my total games played to 150, then put her away.

Tier 8? Anyone who does well there, have fun; I’ll not be joining you.

Members
2,201 posts
5,008 battles

Tier 8 is a rough spot overall, and I just can't play high tier right now because I hate the meta. It's a boring camp fest, and many high tier players seem WORSE than players at mid-tier. As they say, if you derp enough, eventually you'll get there somehow.

I'm at 59 games in the Cleveland, doing 43k damage on average with a 52% Win Rate.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,804 posts
11,101 battles
1 hour ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Oh..  and wth is happening with Cleve?

Finally going up to tier 8 where she belongs, with a RoF increase and gaining Radar to go with her DF AA and Hydro I think. And the ability to bring her concealment down around the same range as her radar. Basically, it's more of a DD Shredder and well.... it already butchers planes. 

[DUDES]
Members
2,926 posts
5,690 battles
11 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Finally going up to tier 8 where she belongs, with a RoF increase and gaining Radar to go with her DF AA and Hydro I think. And the ability to bring her concealment down around the same range as her radar. Basically, it's more of a DD Shredder and well.... it already butchers planes. 

T8 is such a crap shoot anymore.  Lots of good botes running around T8 in a lot of lines that I just don't play due to the MM.  Yeah I know..you take what you get.  The "8 plays with 10" MM wasn't sooo bad when there were just a few lines and you had a few 8 botes running around with a few 10's.  The lines have expanded so much that if you are an 8 bote in a 10 match you are just a punching bag.  Not to say you don't get your time in fair MM games as well.  Cleve is dear to my heart and it will be interesting to see her up tiered.  I hope they actually do her a little justice and at least put her on a level field with the other 8 botes.  She should certainly give those DD's up there something to think about.  IF she can get anywhere near the playing field to do something.  RoF increase should be something.  She already was a capable fire breather and her RoF was one of the things that made her feared back in the day.  She can put some metal down range in a hurry.  I can't imagine running the lines I ran long ago.  Amagi today?  pffft..  why?  Amagi was a force before..  just a stepping stone to try to get over now.  Even the Bis when the KM line first came out.  I would run my Bis in a 10 game no worries.  Not today.

[PVE]
Members
1,709 posts
7,764 battles

Played my last tier six battle in the Cleveland earlier, it was a sad moment when it was over, one of my favorite ships, she will be missed.

[DUDES]
Members
2,926 posts
5,690 battles
Just now, TheGreatBlasto said:

Will her gun range be extended from 14.6?    

Some say yes; some say no.  It's  driving me bananas.

She will need something.  I doubt they are giving her torps to go along with the rest of the T8 cruiser crowd.

Members
4,409 posts
17,707 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tier 8? Anyone who does well there, have fun; I’ll not be joining you.

Same here. I don't play my tier 8 ships much because I'm endlessly bottom tiered against greatly superior tier 10s. That means that I'll be very unlikely to drive Cleveland after tomorrow.

• Cool 2

[--K--]
Members
5,326 posts
16,596 battles

The Cleveland was the first cruiser [back than there were only two T6 cruisers] that I reached that reminded me of a ship from all the WW2 books I had looked through as a kid. She took some getting used to but I credit those legendary terrible shell arches for improving my aim. I remember getting my First Close Quarters medal with her secondary battery, I was busy dealing with an enemy DD who was guarding their CV when the CV went down to my secondaries. I have played 510 battles with the Cleveland. I blame those old 20 planes shot down missions. But I enjoyed playing the Cleveland. My darkest day in the Cleveland was spotting a Chester and a Chikuma who failed div'd their way onto Two Brothers, they came down the middle channel and I had to sink them. I would say more about the Cleveland but [NDA]. 

I look forward to the T8 Cleveland. 

9MAZ5XR.jpg

[DUDES]
Members
2,926 posts
5,690 battles
Just now, ReddNekk said:

Same here. I don't play my tier 8 ships much because I'm endlessly bottom tiered against greatly superior tier 10s. That means that I'll be very unlikely to drive Cleveland after tomorrow.

Cetain ships at 8 can play up, but they are the new intros.  I agree that all my old favorites are pretty much shelved.  I really hope the cleve isn't just moving to a higher shelf.  At least at 6 I could still play her in scenarios and such and do well.  She still had a solid place there.

[DUDES]
Members
2,926 posts
5,690 battles
5 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I look forward to the T8 Cleveland. 

9MAZ5XR.jpg

I do too.  I hope she shows the "leapfrog affect" that each new ship intro since has shown and they pop her back up to her old glory at the head of the class.  Power creep is real and the ships coming out today absolutely outclass the old guard in just about every way.  Give this old girl a new life back up front!!

[TFB]
[TFB]
Members
314 posts
7,942 battles

519 battles, 316 wins, sailed away 216 times, 20+million in damage, 611 ships sent to the bottom, 1300+ aircraft shot down, she was always my go to feel good ship back in the day when she was a terror on the seas, then she was handcuffed, but was still a great ship, than operations came along and she was right back in the terror of the sea spot, operations made her shine again like the ship of old and I loved taking her out to defend the harbor, or save the fleet, rescue the raptor and wipe out a naval base, she really did shine and that is where I will miss her the most, power creep and nerfs have limited her role for a long time, I really hope seeing tier 10's all the time will not put one of my fav ships on the shelf.

[DUDES]
Members
2,926 posts
5,690 battles
3 minutes ago, Ks_Twister said:

519 battles, 316 wins, sailed away 216 times, 20+million in damage, 611 ships sent to the bottom, 1300+ aircraft shot down, she was always my go to feel good ship back in the day when she was a terror on the seas, then she was handcuffed, but was still a great ship, than operations came along and she was right back in the terror of the sea spot, operations made her shine again like the ship of old and I loved taking her out to defend the harbor, or save the fleet, rescue the raptor and wipe out a naval base, she really did shine and that is where I will miss her the most, power creep and nerfs have limited her role for a long time, I really hope seeing tier 10's all the time will not put one of my fav ships on the shelf.

Agree.  She really shined in the Ops games.  It was almost like a breath of fresh air to take her and do what she was best at in those.  AA blazing..  loved it.    It's hard to see a scenario where she is going to play so well at 8 that it will make up for not having her in those ops games where she just did what she always did so well.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,804 posts
11,101 battles
35 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

T8 is such a crap shoot anymore.

It really is, used to be just my CV's, but anymore seems like it applies to any ship I have that isn't the newest line (so, basically all of them). Find myself retreating back to 6 and 7. Least I have ships like Arizona at that range that can fight 2 tiers up no issue if I have to. 

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,153 posts
10,011 battles
45 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Dev blog says yes, therefore everyone else is wrong.

[DUDES]
Members
2,926 posts
5,690 battles
10 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

It really is, used to be just my CV's, but anymore seems like it applies to any ship I have that isn't the newest line (so, basically all of them). Find myself retreating back to 6 and 7. Least I have ships like Arizona at that range that can fight 2 tiers up no issue if I have to. 

You are an AZ fan eh?  I never got that ship..  I was never really impressed with it looking at it across the map.  I know it has it's following and a lot of good things are said.  I guess I was just bitter at that time because I was a huge fan of Texas and that ship got totally destroyed when the KM line came out.  Talk about going from first to worst overnight..  That was it.  The old floating Budweiser can with her 5 turrets of freedom went right into the dust bin when Sharn and Genny started rolling around.  Texas vs Nagato was a classic match up and a 5 vs 7 to boot.  There was no more 5 vs 7 when the KM rolled out.

[XBRTC]
Members
3,153 posts
10,011 battles
1 minute ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Do you recall the new range?

16-point-something? I think it's the same as the old range with AFT, but that particular screw-job was a couple years ago and I can't remember for sure.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,804 posts
11,101 battles
1 minute ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

You are an AZ fan eh?  I never got that ship..  I was never really impressed with it looking at it across the map.  I know it has it's following and a lot of good things are said.  I guess I was just bitter at that time because I was a huge fan of Texas and that ship got totally destroyed when the KM line came out.  Talk about going from first to worst overnight..  That was it.  The old floating Budweiser can with her 5 turrets of freedom went right into the dust bin when Sharn and Genny started rolling around.  Texas vs Nagato was a classic match up and a 5 vs 7 to boot.  There was no more 5 vs 7 when the KM rolled out.

Only cause she takes a hit and shrugs it off like a BB should. I  hesitated getting at first till I saw one take my rounds from Tirpitz and a second B, think an NC, behind me, and get close enough I had to torp it. Got one myself, turned out it wasn't a fluke it just bounces them, and I can only dream they add her sister PA cause A it' where I'm from and B: It'd likely have the upgraded AA. Or, as Magneto would say - "Perfection". 

Matches I wish I had the replay of my AZ charging a Saipan with TB's, that not only shot a few down, dodged all but a couple torps, never flooded, and did get in range to spot and fire before match end.

And yeah, I can sea why - My Scharn eats Texas's (Texai?) for lunch. Still, I play a low tier CV and see a Texas end up half tempted to rage quit with the loses I take against them.

[PVE]
Members
19,795 posts
11,989 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

14.2km stock and 15.6km upgraded on the Cleveland

[WOLF3]
Members
24,749 posts
21,823 battles

I feel sorry for the guys that never experienced CLs when BFT & AFT buffed 155mm or smaller guns.

17.6km Cleveland.

Didn't have Mogami but she was a PITA to deal with as a BB.

Tier V Omaha was nicknamed, "OPmaha."  Yes, she was considered OP at one time, long ago, and her sister, Murmansk, was absolutely broken.

Tier V Konigsberg reaching out to 19.1km 19.8km.

Many CLs were very good, capable ships.  Those were glorious times and I honestly feel bad if you didn't play with CLs during that time.  Cleveland was high in the CL heap in those days and BBs hated her to no end.  There was no end to BB players demanding a nerf specifically for Cleveland.  What Kutuzov's gunnery is today, is what CL gunnery was in general during those days.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway