Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RighteousRhyno

Beginner Tips on the Algerie?

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

150
[PNP]
Members
448 posts
3,888 battles

Just got this ship and I find myself eating a lot more damage and citadels that I would like to. I always feel like that it's AP seems to bounce or overpen majority of the time. What tips would you recommend for this ship? Ideal engagement ranges? What shell types are ideal for what ship classes? Captain skills?

Any pointers are appreciated. I just want to make this ship work! :fish_book: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
192
[-AGW-]
Members
974 posts
12,805 battles

Use AP against cruisers only early on. Once the BBs notice you get some distance. Max distance, and shower them with HE.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,532
[FML]
Members
3,560 posts
14,452 battles
17 minutes ago, RighteousRhyno said:

Just got this ship and I find myself eating a lot more damage and citadels that I would like to. I always feel like that it's AP seems to bounce or overpen majority of the time. What tips would you recommend for this ship? Ideal engagement ranges? What shell types are ideal for what ship classes? Captain skills?

Any pointers are appreciated. I just want to make this ship work! :fish_book: 

Classic French cruiser tactics. Fire HE at near max range onto BBs - preferably get uptiered so each fire does more HP damage and you get more XP from it. 

Always keep an eye on what BBs are pointing their guns at you. Always look for targets that have just used DCP and light them up again. Don’t get greedy for non-DCPed targets - 2 fires, move onto next target. 

Be on the flank with other teammates; ideally behind your own BBs, as incoming fire can be directed to them instead of you. Use speed boost to bait or dodge shells; don’t waste it at the start. Don’t be afraid of going guns silent and running away. 

Use AP on broadside cruisers, particularly when within 11km or so, else mostly HE. 

Essentially, French cruisers are hyperactive firebugs. You have the speed to flex across the map, so pay attention to MM and move early. Watchful eyes on incoming AP, dodge early (incl full reverse and turn usually works).

Edit: oh, forgot to mention, fire your guns sequentially to ‘walk’ your shells over the superstructure of BBs to set more fires per salvo. 

Anything I miss?

Edited by UltimateNewbie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
670
[OSO]
Members
3,788 posts
23 minutes ago, RighteousRhyno said:

Just got this ship and I find myself eating a lot more damage and citadels that I would like to. I always feel like that it's AP seems to bounce or overpen majority of the time. What tips would you recommend for this ship? Ideal engagement ranges? What shell types are ideal for what ship classes? Captain skills?

Any pointers are appreciated. I just want to make this ship work! :fish_book: 

Show me your broadside lol correction dont show me your broad side if you do you will be deleted lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,811 posts
3,853 battles
1 minute ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Show me your broadside lol correction dont show me your broad side if you do you will be deleted lol.

Also, don’t go completely bow in. Your bow armor may get overmatched by BBs. So angle carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
441
[K0]
Members
1,751 posts
7,746 battles

It plays extremely similar to the Yorck, the current Pensacola, and to a lesser extent the Shchors: hang back in the second line and spam HE most of the time, reserve AP exclusively for CQC in later stages of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,181
[CTG80]
[CTG80]
Members
4,534 posts
13,544 battles

Algerie is a support ship until BB's move up and engage, which these days is rare.  Because of the latest BB tactics of line riding, you must stay at max distance or get hammered by 16" guns of death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
150
[PNP]
Members
448 posts
3,888 battles
1 hour ago, Flashtirade said:

It plays extremely similar to the Yorck, the current Pensacola, and to a lesser extent the Shchors: hang back in the second line and spam HE most of the time, reserve AP exclusively for CQC in later stages of the game.

I agree with you about the ship similar to the Yorck. When I first got this ship I was hoping that I would get a different play style than the Yorck and avoid the typical HE spam with AP used rarely, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If I have to play the same style as I did with the Yorck, then I guess I will have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
62
[WOLF3]
Members
193 posts
8,331 battles
44 minutes ago, RighteousRhyno said:

I agree with you about the ship similar to the Yorck. When I first got this ship I was hoping that I would get a different play style than the Yorck and avoid the typical HE spam with AP used rarely, but it doesn't seem to be the case. If I have to play the same style as I did with the Yorck, then I guess I will have to.

The advice of maintaining angles, leveraging your team, and shooting when you are not the focus of attention is sound. The cruiser life is not that much different for the French, german, and Russians. The French cruisers can brawl when pressed into action with their reasonable dpm and torpedo arcs and destroyer like turn radius, but should be used for harassing at a distance or when protected by your allies. Cruisers in general should only be played this way as they are all paper thin, and can be spotted rather easily in my opinion. The beauty of the French line is you gave good range and gunnery for safe engagements, but still have a few things to get in close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47
[JHF]
Members
372 posts
7,100 battles

Umm.... it works okay in the Mission Ops, I guess. I feel like a target in Random, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
177
[B2P]
Members
568 posts
18,574 battles

One thing to add that I haven't noticed others mentioning.  All French cruisers with speed boost and hydro-acoustic search make excellent late game DD killers.  :cap_rambo:  Just don't try it early game, or you'll get focused and deleted.  :Smile_great: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
706
[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts
On 5/29/2018 at 10:36 PM, UltimateNewbie said:

Classic French cruiser tactics. Fire HE at near max range onto BBs - preferably get uptiered so each fire does more HP damage and you get more XP from it. 

Always keep an eye on what BBs are pointing their guns at you. Always look for targets that have just used DCP and light them up again. Don’t get greedy for non-DCPed targets - 2 fires, move onto next target. 

Be on the flank with other teammates; ideally behind your own BBs, as incoming fire can be directed to them instead of you. Use speed boost to bait or dodge shells; don’t waste it at the start. Don’t be afraid of going guns silent and running away. 

Use AP on broadside cruisers, particularly when within 11km or so, else mostly HE. 

Essentially, French cruisers are hyperactive firebugs. You have the speed to flex across the map, so pay attention to MM and move early. Watchful eyes on incoming AP, dodge early (incl full reverse and turn usually works).

Edit: oh, forgot to mention, fire your guns sequentially to ‘walk’ your shells over the superstructure of BBs to set more fires per salvo. 

Anything I miss?

  Kinda:

  Forget you have torps, unless you really need them.   That will save you from eating a lot of unnecessary citadels. 

 Also remember that the shells are a bit floaty at max range, much like Yorck's.   Practice your marksmanship and learn to adjust to that to improve your hit rate and damage.

  Algerie was my fourth heavy cruiser line to play, so I adjusted to it pretty quickly.  It ended up being a favorite, in a line made up of mostly favorites!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×