You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

American Cruiser split - why?

60 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
673 posts

I've heard allot about the Cruiser split coming tomorrow.  But what I still don't know is why are they doing this?  Unfortunately, Cleveland is my top rated ship and my go to for Operations.  So what is WGs reasoning for destroying a great ship.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[S0L0]
Members
300 posts
7,439 battles

It was never meant to be a tier 6 is what I heard.

• Cool 1

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,848 posts
5,854 battles

Destroying it? They are restoring it to its CBT glory. The Cleveland never fit in at tier 6. It was a stopgap measure and was pretty much always slated to go up to tier 8.

• Cool 5

[WOLFG]
Members
673 posts
1 minute ago, OseanTanker said:

Destroying it? They are restoring it to its CBT glory. The Cleveland never fit in at tier 6. It was a stopgap measure and was pretty much always slated to go up to tier 8.

Well I've played the new Cleveland in  test and looked at LWM review where he says it is now a mediocre boat, I would say yes, they destroyed it...at least from my perspective.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LEGIT]
Members
2,195 posts
29,885 battles

The US cruiser line has mostly been power creeped beyond what it could do in the IJN vs USN days.  Except for beating my Pensacola senseless (maybe), this may be WG restoring some semblance of balance to one of their first lines.  

[WOLF3]
Members
24,729 posts
21,817 battles

There were plenty of USN Cruiser classes that were not implemented.  Also, a number of those USN CLs were historical ships.

VII Helena (St.Louis-class)

VII Boise / Nueve di Julio (Brooklyn-class)

VIII Cleveland (duh)

X Worcester (Lead ship of her class)

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,253 posts
6,233 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There were plenty of USN Cruiser classes that were not implemented.  Also, a number of those USN CLs were historical ships.

VII Helena (St.Louis-class)

VII Boise / Nueve di Julio (Brooklyn-class)

VIII Cleveland (duh)

X Worcester (Lead ship of her class)

Still tilting my head a little bit at them demoting Baltimore and adding the Buffalo rather than keeping it where it was and adding historical Wichita as 8.

[LOU1]
Members
4,078 posts
11,282 battles
15 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Well I've played the new Cleveland in  test and looked at LWM review where he says it is now a mediocre boat, I would say yes, they destroyed it...at least from my perspective.

Umm, not to make too fine a point, but LWM is a "she".  As far as I know, that is.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,259 posts
23,160 battles
19 minutes ago, The_Grand_One said:

To create new great ships! Also, in what way is Cleveland getting destroyed anyways?

Because now it will get to be crushed and destroyed by all of the awesome paper napkins at tier 10.

1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

Umm, not to make too fine a point, but LWM is a "she".  As far as I know, that is.

ninja’d

[WOLFG]
Members
673 posts
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

My apologies to LWM.  I think  I just assumed it was a guy writing under that name, but I really have no idea.

Members
1,684 posts
8,009 battles

The Cleveland was problematic from a progression standpoint. She’s got mid-WWII AA (with the 5”/38 dual purpose guns) and a mid-WWII armor scheme, which makes her superior to 1920s and 1930s cruisers. Her main guns were nerfed to make her appropriate for tier VI, but that created a situation where the USN line goes from paper armor and virtually no AA at tier 5, to workable armor and a good arrangement for the armor along with AA that would be good at tier 8 or 9 at tier 6, and then back to paper armor and mediocre long-range AA at tier 7. The Pensacola and New Orleans are a straight downgrade from the Cleveland in some important ways — their AA (supposedly a USN specialty) was especially bad for their tiers since their 5”/25 DP guns are so inferior to the 5”/38. 

The Cleveland went through a Final Countdown style time warp in 1943 and ended up in 1925, while the older "treaty cruisers" got sent to the Cleveland's place. It screwed up the whole line's progression, since there was no way those older cruisers could be buffed to keep up with WWII-era AA needs, or to compete with more heavily protected ships which were designed after the treaty was abandoned. 

The Pensacola was contemporary to the Omaha (it was built a bit after, but intended to compliment that ship) so it makes sense that it should follow the Omaha. It’s armor and weapons are an incremental step up from the USN tier 5. Similarly, New Orleans is a step up from the Pensacola. With the split, the USN has cruisers that just get better as you go, instead of going from Cleveland to Pensacola an taking a giant downgrade in AA, survivability, and secondaries (not that secondaries matter much to cruisers, but the Cleveland has better secondaries than USN BBs below tier 8). 

• Cool 2

[LUCK]
Members
1,765 posts
27,513 battles
37 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I've heard allot about the Cruiser split coming tomorrow.  But what I still don't know is why are they doing this?  Unfortunately, Cleveland is my top rated ship and my go to for Operations.  So what is WGs reasoning for destroying a great ship.

I stopped myself from making a snarky comment hence I will leave it at: enjoy the CA/CL split, Cleve's new spot and the new forthcoming CLs.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious

Members
4,406 posts
17,679 battles
38 minutes ago, OseanTanker said:

And it took them 2 1/2 years to do so.

[2CUTE]
Supertester
4,134 posts
4,312 battles

A cruiser split allows WG to implement a greater variety of ships into a nation's tree that had light and heavy cruisers that would work at high tiers.

[TDRB]
Members
4,245 posts
12,248 battles

I will miss my Cleveland for T6 operations. The Dallas will live forever in the shadow of the T6 Cleveland

• Cool 2

Members
627 posts
699 battles
39 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

It only seems mediocre because people are used to it being outright stupid OP for it's tier.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,483 posts
4,602 battles
30 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Still tilting my head a little bit at them demoting Baltimore and adding the Buffalo rather than keeping it where it was and adding historical Wichita as 8.

Buffalo will be a better ship than Balto.  It's a good thing.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,483 posts
4,602 battles
22 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

My apologies to LWM.  I think  I just assumed it was a guy writing under that name, but I really have no idea.

Think of the Mousie as you would Annette Funicello on The Mickey Mouse Club. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,483 posts
4,602 battles
8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I will miss my Cleveland for T6 operations. The Dallas will live forever in the shadow of the T6 Cleveland

Amen, brother!

[SVF]
Members
1,445 posts
1,830 battles
9 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The Dallas will live forever in the shadow of the T6 Cleveland

Indeed, which is a rather unfortunate yet inevitable position for her.

Members
1,187 posts
6,084 battles
51 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

WG has planned for there to be a heavy cruiser and a light cruiser line in the US tech tree for a long while now. They are just now getting around to implementing it.

43 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

While I respect LWM as a community contributor and she does some damn good ship reviews, LWM's opinion is just one of many. I too participated on the 0.7.5 test server part 1 and 2, and I found the tier 8 Cleveland to be fun ship to play. However, being that she is a light cruiser at tier 8, if you make a mistake in her, it is less forgiving than it was at tier 6, but she is not a bad ship at tier 8. Not everybody will like the playstyle of the tier 8 Cleveland, though.

I am going to miss her at tier 6 for operations, but hopefully the tier 6 Dallas or Pensacola will surprise me.

[O-PN]
Members
9,110 posts
10,465 battles
25 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

I stopped myself from making a snarky comment hence I will leave it at: enjoy the CA/CL split, Cleve's new spot and the new forthcoming CLs.

I managed to stop myself, as well.

OP, the info on the split has been available for quite some time, months. More, you have enough rounds to know by now that WG likes to add as much content as they can. Cleveland isn't being destroyed, she's being moved back to where she started life in the game. NO managed to survive at T8, and T6 Cleveland was a much better ship than NO at T8 ever was. More, Cleve will get good buffs to make sure she's more than viable at T8.

I think the OP is just mad he can't farm T6 OPS wit her anymore, and, honestly, I'm kinda miffed on that too. However, adaptation is the key, learn to use other ships.

• Cool 2