You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Where do you use John/George Doe?

What class of ship do you use the Doe brothers on?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Chose all that apply.

• BB
    • CA
    • CL
    • DD
    • CV

29 comments in this topic

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

Just wondering where people use these commanders. I only have John Doe, and I use him on my New Orleans (soon to be Baltimore) because I really like the reload skill for when I need American Piercing in a hurry. 

[PVE]
Members
19,794 posts
11,969 battles

I have him in Cleveland, which I share with my Atlanta, so I can't out turn my guns.

With Clevleand moving to T8 and getting some WD-40 for the guns, I *may* end up changing that, but not until the next cheap respec happens.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,073 posts
17,102 battles
5 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I really like the reload skill for when I need American Piercing in a hurry. 

I personally find that the most useless skill there is. If I have the wrong ammunition loaded I prefer firing it anyways instead of forcing a reload. But that's just my opinion ...

I have him on a BB.

[WOLFA]
Members
753 posts
5,684 battles

I started training him in my Texas. That 7 second switch to a different ammo type helps more than I thought it would.

Turret traverse is better too.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

I have him in Cleveland

That is exactly where I put him

1 hour ago, Lert said:

If I have the wrong ammunition loaded I prefer firing it anyways instead of forcing a reload. But that's just my opinion ...

That seriously depends on what ship you're playing, doesn't it? A BB is a lot different from a DD for reload times.

[--K--]
Members
5,326 posts
16,585 battles

I have the Seagull trained for the DesMoines but he gets used on the Missouri. 

[F4E-2]
Members
207 posts
4,686 battles

I am a relative noob who just acquired George Doe.  Where SHOULD I use him?  Given his unique abilities, the most obvious/rational ships would seem to be on Pensacola or New Mexico (Tier Vi are my highest tier ships and the current captain on Pansacola is a 6-pointer...current NM C.O. has 9 points.)

Given how squishy Pensacola is, I think PT has to take precedence over the loader skill, regardless of Geo Doe’s bonus.

[PVE]
Members
19,794 posts
11,969 battles
6 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

I am a relative noob who just acquired George Doe.  Where SHOULD I use him?  Given his unique abilities, the most obvious/rational ships would seem to be on Pensacola or New Mexico (Tier Vi are my highest tier ships and the current captain on Pansacola is a 6-pointer...current NM C.O. has 9 points.)

Given how squishy Pensacola is, I think PT has to take precedence over the loader skill, regardless of Geo Doe’s bonus.

I have George on Pensacola. 

Right now his skills are PT, EM, BFT, CE. He will get DCF, EL, PM, AR, MFCAA in that order. I'm doing Direction Center for Fighters over Expert Loader as that give you another fighter which can nullify another plane in an incoming strike.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,478 posts
2,169 battles
11 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

I've got him moving up the CA line, to eventually be my dedicated Des Moines captain.  Currently he is on the New Orleans, with 30k xp to go until Baltimore.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,419 posts
12,084 battles

I was going to say something about necro threads, but the meta has shifted since this post was first made, with some new ships in the game, and the question is fair to ask.

I've got JD in the Baltimore; don't have George. I can't recall off the top of my head if I use all of his boosted skills but he was a 10 point commander going for coal when I really needed one, and that was important.

I only have one American battleship - Texas - and while he can go in it easily enough, it's hitherto been a home for my Atlanta captain or anything else with BFT +/- AFT whenever I wanted to try and grab some plane kills & make lower-tier carriers suffer. Boy, has that purchase ever gone pear shaped! Still, I can always use it as a retraining ship when I eventually get around to climbing the American BB line (which reminds me, with the US line as-yet unground and the Russian line incoming, I've finally figured out what I'm going to do with my Ovechkins!!!).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PVE]
Members
19,794 posts
11,969 battles
On 5/29/2018 at 8:30 PM, Kizarvexis said:

I have him in Cleveland, which I share with my Atlanta, so I can't out turn my guns.

With Clevleand moving to T8 and getting some WD-40 for the guns, I *may* end up changing that, but not until the next cheap respec happens.

Update.

John Doe, used to be on Cleveland. When it was moved to T8 CL in the US Cruiser split and got a better traverse, I moved him up to Seattle to help with that traverse.

[KEGEL]
Members
231 posts
10,292 battles

Got one toe-tag Doe in the Monty and the other in Massachusetts.

Halsey is serving on the DM because lots of pretty red lights.

Boris the Cossack is getting hammered on the deck of the Benson & giggling maniacally at pretty blue lights.

[NGA]
Members
1,967 posts
10,272 battles

One of them is currently on the New Mex/Arizona, the other is trying to do something about the Pensacola. Halsey has the Monty.

[SYN]
Members
5,542 posts
12,857 battles

Forgot I even had John Doe.

In practical terms, the guy only has just one buffed skill, the turret traverse.  The ammo-type switch buff is arguably one of the most useless skills on the board.  Not sure why anyone would spend a point on this, given there are always going to be far more useful skills available, buffed or not.

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles
On 5/29/2018 at 8:32 PM, Lert said:

I personally find that the most useless skill there is. If I have the wrong ammunition loaded I prefer firing it anyways instead of forcing a reload. But that's just my opinion ...

I have him on a BB.

It is useful when not detected and a cruiser starts making a turn to give you broadside unwittingly.  I like it on Cruisers more than Battleships though.

As for the question, I have one on my Monty and one in my Des Moines.  For turret turning speed.  And for the expert loader on my DM.

[PHASE]
Members
6,112 posts
19,309 battles

Its funny how experienced players can view parts of the game so differently. I like it on Cruisers, both DM and Balti. Many times a target presents itself briefly for a specific ammo... it's nice to have it ready when needed. It can be the difference between a kill shot and minor damage.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Baltimore and DM; they find themselves switching ammo very regularly so it's the one time EL is worthwhile, and they live and die on turret rotation/shifting sides.

Members
1,933 posts
8,805 battles

George is currently trained in Pensacola for ops, but he's primarily my AK and Wichita driver. The improved turret traverse speed and blindingly fast ammo switching are of great value for heavy cruisers. 

[A-CUP]
Members
1,022 posts
8,224 battles

I dont see and option for Bacon in the selection. This being said I dont use these to commanders

Edited by Poisonous_Lily

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
5,121 battles

Ovechkin goes well on DDs.  I take the survivability expert skill to get 400Hp extra per tier.  So currently boosts my Benson with +3200HP.