You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Malamute_Kid

T8 Cleve Captain build.

17 comments in this topic

Members
728 posts
9,322 battles

Currently my Cleveland captain is a full  "aa buiild" which made it an AA monster at T6.   Is this even going to work for T8?  AA will still be good but will it be worth while to keep it?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Edited by Malamute_Kid

[RKLES]
Members
11,803 posts
13,398 battles

Considering what the rest of higher tier USN CAs are like and the fact Wargaming is actually doing a CV rework, I would say no harm in a good AA build. Top tier CVs pack a ton of planes, so having an AA Cruiser is not a bad thing.

• Cool 1

[STW-N]
Members
3,768 posts
8,540 battles

I'd imagine IFHE might come in handy, though that will depend entirely on the gun caliber of the upcoming cruisers.

My current planned Cleveland build (to be scrapped after the split) is PT, EM, DE, CE, IFHE, AFT, and either PM or EL.

[CNM88]
Members
548 posts
2,713 battles

All USN light cruisers will have 6in guns, I believe, which will shatter and bounce off of most targets starting at tier 7. IFHE is mandatory before you can consider an AA build unless any of them have 8in guns which I doubt. 

Members
152 posts
8,555 battles

Also, with the Tier VIII Cleve you get a new captain with 8 skill points. That's the opposite of what happens to the commanders of ships that are moving down-tier. The old commanders (and their skills and xp) only move down not up.

Edited by USSCurtis

Members
728 posts
9,322 battles
2 hours ago, USSCurtis said:

Also, with the Tier VIII Cleve you get a new captain with 8 skill points. That's the opposite of what happens to the commanders of ships that are moving down-tier. The old commanders (and their skills and xp) only move down not up.

After the mission tho we'll receive 190k Free commander xp that, when combined with my existing free commander xp and free xp will give me enough to both retrain and respec once I move him from Pensacola to the Cleve.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Edited by Malamute_Kid

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
682 posts
26,499 battles

What mission?

Members
161 posts
1,498 battles
5 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

What mission?

It's not listed in-game. You just play a single battle in the new T6 Pensacola

It's listed as a note in https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/american-cruisers/

2 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Right, which mission ?

It's not listed in-game. You just play a single battle in the new T6 Pensacola

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
[CO-OP]
Members
705 posts
20,596 battles
8 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

What mission?

5 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

Right, which mission ?

Take a Pensacola (tier 6) into a battle and you get 190K elite commander XP

Edit:  Ninja'd by  coletrain_comander

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Cool 1

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,152 posts
13,711 battles

You are right, played it this AM, and there the 190K commander XP sits.

[HDM]
Members
388 posts
15,052 battles
On 5/29/2018 at 5:22 PM, LiaoXanLan said:

All USN light cruisers will have 6in guns, I believe, which will shatter and bounce off of most targets starting at tier 7. IFHE is mandatory before you can consider an AA build unless any of them have 8in guns which I doubt. 

If they had 8" guns they would be CA's, not CL's. 

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
7,673 battles
8 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

You are right, played it this AM, and there the 190K commander XP sits.

That's a pretty sweet deal. For people that have high powered Commanders to respec, it covers some of it.

For me, with no commanders with lots of points, this is just Elite Commander XP I'm going to save towards my first 19 point Commander. I like it.

And seriously: all you have to do is play one battle in the new Tier 6 Pensacola. Hopefully everyone knows this and gets the free 190K of commander XP.  It's just too good to miss out on.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,829 battles
On 5/29/2018 at 4:35 PM, Malamute_Kid said:

Currently my Cleveland captain is a full  "aa buiild" which made it an AA monster at T6.   Is this even going to work for T8?  AA will still be good but will it be worth while to keep it?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

I didn’t put an AA build on Cleveland at Vl and the AA was still a monster, I’ve only played 2 games at Vlll and basically put anything that would better the rudder shift in modules ...only one game with a CV and oddly they avoided me ... I wonder why

went for spotter plane over Radar to get Campers,but would change that for clan battles or rank games

the 6.5 second reloads is great however even with everything maxed out the 15k gun plus range doesn’t cut it at Vlll although  she can avoid shots with the better rudder shift ,some consolation there.. so no AA build she needs as much gun power as she can get 

heres the real big problem with Cleveland.. her shells basically still go to outer space before coming back down,this trajectory is way different than most Cruisers so the learning curve for instinctive shooting  aim points  if you play other Cruisers a lot like me , is steep

I bit the bullet and put my old Cleveland 19 point special Captain JOHN Doe in her so shell  switch is under 2 seconds and has faster turret rotation .. sweet

its a fun boat but it’s one we’re you don’t venture forth alone at Vlll ,will never be called OP but haven’t done enough games in her at this tier to say what’s the best way to play her ... she’s definitely better than she was 

[CNM88]
Members
548 posts
2,713 battles
33 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I didn’t put an AA build on Cleveland at Vl and the AA was still a monster, I’ve only played 2 games at Vlll and basically put anything that would better the rudder shift in modules ...only one game with a CV and oddly they avoided me ... I wonder why

went for spotter plane over Radar to get Campers,but would change that for clan battles or rank games

the 6.5 second reloads is great however even with everything maxed out the 15k gun plus range doesn’t cut it at Vlll although  she can avoid shots with the better rudder shift ,some consolation there.. so no AA build she needs as much gun power as she can get 

heres the real big problem with Cleveland.. her shells basically still go to outer space before coming back down,this trajectory is way different than most Cruisers so the learning curve for instinctive shooting  aim points  if you play other Cruisers a lot like me , is steep

I bit the bullet and put my old Cleveland 19 point special Captain JOHN Doe in her so shell  switch is under 2 seconds and has faster turret rotation .. sweet

its a fun boat but it’s one we’re you don’t venture forth alone at Vlll ,will never be called OP but haven’t done enough games in her at this tier to say what’s the best way to play her ... she’s definitely better than she was 

I say play her like the Atlanta without the torps. Those two ships are married to each other.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,829 battles
5 hours ago, LiaoXanLan said:

I say play her like the Atlanta without the torps. Those two ships are married to each other.

that hideing tactic would work great but I’ve never found that style of play to exciting 

I played the new Cleveland for 2 games like I play my Murmansk which has the best turning of any Cruiser.. out in the open dodging shells and the ship did pretty well surviving both games 1 win one loss, this out in the open tactic would not be survivable in the old Cleveland 

I did everything possible to improve rudder shift and also run the speed flag that gives 5% speed increase, for my style of play the new ship has a bigger fun factor and as you said can hide behind Islands with the loopy shell Trajectory successfuly or out in the open