You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

What Do I Use My Free Xp For? Should I Sell Some Of My Ships?

26 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
3,763 posts
8,540 battles

With 0.7.5 and the USN cruiser split on the horizon, I'm somewhat at a loss of what to do with my free xp.

Currently, I have 598k free xp on hand, another 398k locked behind doubloons (of which I have 500 of and no means of getting more anytime soon, so I can have about 600k free xp at the cost of all of my doubloons).

In addition, I have about 8 million in silver.

Currently, my options are:

• save the free xp for Kronshtadt
  • save the free xp for Musashi
  • free xp from New Orleans to Baltimore, which would cost:
    • 114.5k free xp to merely research Baltimore
    • 92k free xp to research all its modules
    • 5.3 million silver to merely buy Baltimore after researching it
    • slightly more than 7.4 million silver to buy its modules

In other words, it would take me either 114.5k free xp and 5.3 million silver to research and buy a stock Baltimore or 206.5k free xp and 12.7 million silver to buy and fully upgrade Baltimore.

The easiest option would simply be to save for Musashi or Kronshtadt (I'm probably just going to save the free xp until there's a noted time limit to get one of them, then get the time-limited one), but I'm wondering if that's worth giving up getting a free fully-upgraded Buffalo

Upgrading to Baltimore would take over 34% of my free xp (basically wiping out a couple months' worth of gains) as well as selling a few of my ships in order to raise the necessary silver. The list of ships I can consider selling (generally, tier 6+ elite ships without perma-camo or tier 4- ships) (* = really want to keep, ** = currently playing) are:

• *Fuso (elite, no premium camo, no captain, no upgrades) (about 2.2 million sell price) - maybe going to sail her out again once I have a suitable captain for her, but mostly I keep her out of some strange sense of guilt (kancolle has something to do with that)
  • *Shokaku (elite, no premium camo, no captain, no upgrades) (about 5.9 million sell price) - probably going to continue playing her once I manage to find a 10-11 pt captain for her, but so far those have been very rare in coming (maybe I'll foist the 11-pt captain from Shinonome for her)
  • ***North Carolina (elite, no premium camo, 15 pt captain, full upgrades) (about 7.3 million sell price) - surprisingly consistent credit owner, and among my favorite ships, but she only still has a captain since I haven't gotten the money to buy Iowa yet
  • **Karlsruhe (all modules equipped but not elite, 5-pt captain, no upgrades) (about 0.5 million sell price) - grinding the line
  • **Shenyang (all modules equipped but not elite, 4-pt captain, no upgrades) (about 0.5 million sell price) - grinding the line
  • **Turrene (stock, 1-pt captain, no upgrades) (about 0.1 million sell price) - grinding the line, but mostly just to get her and Courbet up to elite before selling both
  • **Duguay-Trouin (all modules equipped but not elite, 4-pt captain, no upgrades) (about 0.4 million sell price) - grinding the line
  • Bretagne (elite, 3-pt captain, full upgrades) (about 1.5 million sell price) - got this one after the introduction of French BBs, heard this one was good so I kept it but didn't take her out much except for in co-op

What should I do with my free xp? Should I take the massive hit to fully research Baltimore and equip? Should I sell any of the listed ships (I really don't want to sell any of the tier 6+ ones, but selling at least one, probably even two, is necessary to raise the necessary silver in time for the split).

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

You could do like me and just wait until something comes along that answers all these questions for you.  I have ~300K Free EXP and every time I log in I think that I could skip ships, research modules, or save it for a premium (I own the Nelson and can't see having the patience to get one of the big guys), but then I realize that the only reason I want to do those things is because I have ~300K Free EXP just sitting there.  So, my question then becomes "If I had 0 Free EXP, what would I want to save up for?" and right now the answer is "nothing."

As the games expands there will be more and more opportunities to blow that stuff... so hold onto it.

That's me though.

[MIA-I]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
1,298 posts
13,619 battles

What should I do with mine, lol?

Screenshot (69).png

[MIA-I]
1,298 posts
13,619 battles

I have taken the concept of hoarding a little bit too far, I think

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,747 battles

Only Yuu would know. Ai cannot tell you the answer.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,463 posts
12,122 battles

Don't do it, OP. Don't use the free XP to get an expensive high-tier TECH TREE ship.

200,000 Free XP = 4 million normal XP that you'll have to grind out all over again. (Okay, maybe less because of FXP-boosting flags but you get the picture.)

Do it the normal way. There is no rush after the Split. The only real gain to be made is by having Cleveland (and arguably Pensacola, if the changes really are going to nerf her into the ground. Having her now replaces her with New Orleans at T7 immediately and you won't have to run the whole Pensacola grind).

In addition, running the grind to T9 will probably generate more than enough silver and you won't have to agonise over which ship to sell.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[AAA]
Members
509 posts
9,024 battles
9 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

You and me are nothing in front of some big whales who have millions of it as I have seen previously. I still consider mine is peanuts :D

Capture.JPG.7d31d6c401a0d62ccb7bbca1bffe7784.JPG

[MIA-I]
1,298 posts
13,619 battles
1 minute ago, sansfaille said:

You and me are nothing in front of some big whales who have millions of it as I have seen previously. I still consider mine is peanuts :D

I ran out of stuff to spend it on and don't feel like Free XP-ing any tech lines. 

YMMV. Too bad I can't transfer it to friends. 

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts

Use 471,000 to get from Cleveland VIII to Worcester.  Use Baltimore VIII and Cle to get appox 20 mil for Worcester.

Then save for Khronshtadt.

That is my path, except I have the coin for all.

[GTF]
Members
215 posts
10,733 battles

Dang...I thought 50k free xp was a bunch! But I have been goin down all the lines workin towards ships at level 7 and then makin a decision on which ones to tier out.  Got my Kagero now that I love and lookin forward to the Bismarck soon.  Probably will regret spending all that free Xp at some point but...oh well.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

free xp from New Orleans to Baltimore, which would cost:

• 114.5k free xp to merely research Baltimore
  • 92k free xp to research all its modules
  • 5.3 million silver to merely buy Baltimore after researching it
  • slightly more than 7.4 million silver to buy its modules

If you're doing it to take advantage for the split, don't.  There is no advantage to be gained (save duplicating permanent camo).

BTW, Balto costs 13.6M Cr to buy.  (Clan discounts don't apply to Tier 9.)  I don't know where you got the 5.3M figure.

Sell Bretagne (and maybe Turenne).  It shoots toilet paper rolls.  Keep the rest.

Save your FXP for quick hull upgrades and to jump past ships you really don't like. Consider Nelson?

Edited by iDuckman
  • Funny 1

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
148 posts
10,008 battles

It's really up to you if you're comfortable to play in that Tier level and that ship class, otherwise don't. You really don't want to purchase a ship when you yourself is still learning on how to use that class type effectively. Because spending a lot of Free XP for a certain ship only to get wasted in every game over simple mistakes is not fun or considered a good investment.

Besides it is not going away any time soon, so you have time to focus on other ship grinding/unlocks.

Another thing, you really don't want to be using Free XP to skip ships in order to move up the line. This is one of the reasons with high tier being a mess with so many inexperience players rushing up a line too quickly. You want to at least play 20 battles in each ship and get use to their style. Just skipping ships to get that one thing you want is going to handicap you on the knowledge you'll need as each certain line of a nation has its own identity on how it plays out. So you want to take the time to develop that muscle memory.

The only other exception for skipping certain ships is a certain few that are just...BAD. Like the Tier 8 British/French battleship.

But other than that, save your Free XP to unlock module upgrades to avoid the handicap of playing in a STOCK ship.

[STW-N]
Members
3,763 posts
8,540 battles
36 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

What should I do with mine, lol?

Screenshot (69).png

25 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

*Looks at 200 million silver*

*Looks at 2.5 million free xp*

*looks at 140k doubloons*

*looks at my pathetic reserves*

Image result for wheel of fortune bankrupt gif

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Funny 2

[RCNW3]
Members
1,899 posts
17,437 battles

Nice thing, ya got some options.  Wait until you see how the new ships perform before making any decisions around using free exp.  Some ships are great, others are like taking a sharp stick and poking it in your eye and free exp can be used to alleviate the pain (both a bad ship and base hull problems).  

On free exp ships, the Nelson, Musashi and Missouri are ships I play regularly.  Other then outfitting with modules are “credit free”.  Was great to get ships that were fun to play without dropping a boatload of credits (especially if you are credit poor). If you free exp a grind, still have to spend 13 to 20 million credits for the tier 9 or 10 ship.  Not sure how the Krono will be, but most likely be a fun option.

Edited by Panzer1113

[RST]
Members
181 posts
22,051 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

• save the free xp for Kronshtadt
  • save the free xp for Musashi

Yes.

under the rule used by some WoT players. I only use my free xp to research the next ship when I am 10% or less in getting the next ship. That way you spend less credits and likely get the ship, afford the cost for upgrades and also earn free xp for the Musashi or Kronshtadt. 

[STW-N]
Members
3,763 posts
8,540 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

If you're doing it to take advantage for the split, don't.  There is no advantage to be gained (save duplicating permanent camo).

BTW, Balto costs 13.6M Cr to buy.  (Clan discounts don't apply to Tier 9.)  I don't know where you got the 5.3M figure.

Sell Bretagne (and maybe Turenne).  It shoots toilet paper rolls.  Keep the rest.

Save your FXP for quick hull upgrades and to jump past ships you really don't like. Consider Nelson?

I think I meant 5.3 million more than what I currently have.

Yeah, I'll probably sell Bretagne, though I'll keep Turenne and Courbet as long as it takes to elite them out.

I already have Missouri and Nelson (thank careful use of camos and flags during bonus xp weekends and saving what doubloons I have for the sales), and I've made it a rule to normally never spend free xp unless it's in double-digit numbers (ie <100) since it's very rare for me to be able to get doubloons.

[MIA-I]
1,298 posts
13,619 battles

To address the OP, best to grind the lines, save Free XP for the upgrades only, and build a warchest for stuff like Nelson, Musashi and Kronshtadt, and so forth. Set specific goals for yourself.

Make liberal use of camos, especially those you can access through campaigns (those are great for raising credits and FXP), and Scenarios that can be farmed, like Killer Whale. I would advise against selling ships unless you absolutely must. I would sell camos that I don't use and older ship modules like 'A' hulls that I already moved beyond.

Edited by LancerUlysses

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
148 posts
10,008 battles
9 minutes ago, Shadewe said:

Yes.

under the rule used by some WoT players. I only use my free xp to research the next ship when I am 10% or less in getting the next ship. That way you spend less credits and likely get the ship, afford the cost for upgrades and also earn free xp for the Musashi or Kronshtadt. 

There's no system in place that a ship purchase price will be less when using a certain amount of Free XP over Regular XP. The price is always the same, unless you mistaken it for a current discount that is active - which they seem to run them a lot lately during the weekends for certain Tiers/Nations.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles

Today I'm going to violate my own advice and buy Balto.  Only a few reasons, all weak: 

1. I've been planning and preparing for a while, and I can afford it;
  2. Balto gets Nawlins camo,
  3. The Upgrade sale is on and Buffalo upgrades half price.
  4. With Balto I get silver back for duplicate Nawlins. (2.2M?)

[STW-N]
Members
3,763 posts
8,540 battles

Judging by the responses so far, it seems the general consensus is to hold my free xp and silver and just get Buffalo and Baltimore naturally.

Fair enough, especially since I have New Orleans with the congratulatory camo, an elite Pensacola, and Cleveland with the 1000-doubloon perma-camo, so I should be fairly set for the split anyways.

Now I merely wonder how long Musashi and Kronshtadt will stay available. If WG switches them out simultaneously like how they pulled Missouri, it'll be a race for me to get 1.5 million free xp before they go, or if I'll be forced to choose which one to get.

Hopefully, 15 months is enough for me to roust up enough free xp before any free xp ship changes.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,404 posts
11,057 battles

They better not take the Musashi out when IM 25k from it lol.

[PVE]
Members
1,709 posts
7,764 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

You could do like me and just wait until something comes along that answers all these questions for you.  I have ~300K Free EXP and every time I log in I think that I could skip ships, research modules, or save it for a premium (I own the Nelson and can't see having the patience to get one of the big guys), but then I realize that the only reason I want to do those things is because I have ~300K Free EXP just sitting there.  So, my question then becomes "If I had 0 Free EXP, what would I want to save up for?" and right now the answer is "nothing."

As the games expands there will be more and more opportunities to blow that stuff... so hold onto it.

That's me though.

1 hour ago, LancerUlysses said:

You know, I keep waiting for that 'something' to come along so I can spend my FXP and creds on, I keep waiting and waiting and waiting....yet nothing...the last time I spent any FXP was on the mighty mo before it was removed, just to have it, still have 6.4 mil FXP/270 mil creds sitting there collecting dust, yet I still keep hoping and waiting.

Yes, I too have taken the concept of hoarding a little bit to far.

waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...............................................................................................................:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
16 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

You know, I keep waiting for that 'something' to come along so I can spend my FXP and creds on, I keep waiting and waiting and waiting....yet nothing...the last time I spent any FXP was on the mighty mo before it was removed, just to have it, still have 6.4 mil FXP/270 mil creds sitting there collecting dust, yet I still keep hoping and waiting.

Yes, I too have taken the concept of hoarding a little bit to far.

waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...............................................................................................................:Smile_teethhappy:

So you get exactly what I'm talking about!  Just because it's there doesn't mean you need to spend it, and when you decided you wanted to spend it you had enough for the Missouri.  That's about as close to a perfect scenario I could come up with.

I'm holding out hope they have another tier 7 FreeEXPremium but a DD or CL.... and until that day comes I wait.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,485 posts
4,602 battles

Tier 10 Russian BB Starski Destroyanov for 2,000,000 FXP.